University of Florida

« See more reviews of University of Florida

What is the stereotype of students at your school?

Many stereotypes stem from inaccurate knowledge about students who attend this university. I've heard people criticize other individuals for not being on the same level academically as they are. This university takes students from many differing backgrounds who have many different goals. Accusing someone of not being as smart as you because they are specializing in a different field is absurd. Another stereotype is that everyone completed the same high school classes prior to entering this university. Many individuals did not complete IB or AP classes, and holding that against them is wrong. Finally, assuming that everyone in college is in the same age group is false. Like I said before there are many different backgrounds to the individuals who attend UF. The age range is anywhere from the teens to the early thirties or older. When you get into graduate school, there are individuals who have already entered the work force once and have come back for a different field. They might have an established family or have come from a community college.

The students at UFl think they are smarter than students at other schools, that UFL is better than all other state schools, students are generally stuck up, we party too much, we smoke a lot of weed, UFL nurtures intellectualism and diversity, graduates have promising futures, the greek system runs the school and the most elite honor societies...

Some stereotypes are that we are a big party school and I find that it is very true, but there are many that can party and still get there schoolwork done. They prove that work and play can be combined. I, for one, cannot do both and must separate my time at school as just work, and my time in the summer as mostly play.

I am a pre-professional student, so as far as stereotypes for pre-med, phar, dental, vet students I feel that the stereotype is that they are extremely conpetitive, to the point of not wanting to help peers when they have questions in subjecs like organic chemistry, biology, and physics.

A lot of people seem to think we are a huge party school and very arrogant being that we won so many championships recently.

Big party school, but the students are definitely committed to their school work- so i guess party hard, and work hard

That UF students are stuck up. That UF students have more anxiety because of academic policies set forth.

I've heard some stero types that we are nerdy, and have ugly girls. That we don't party as hard as FSU.

Smart, big partiers, big greek scene. Another stereotype is of Gainesville-residents to be hippies.

A lot of people think UF students wear jean shorts. We are alsotypically cast as heavy drinkers.