University of Florida

« See more reviews of University of Florida

What is the stereotype of students at your school? Is this stereotype accurate?

If the amount of stereotypes (STs) UF has had a sound, and the amount WAS an actual stereo, UF would be blasting all the way to Zimbabwe! There are so many STs, it's not even funny. But there is a kernel of truth in all of them. :) You have the "snobby" Gators. These are the ones who rep UF no matter what; if every sport lost every game, UF is still THE BEST. Merely because we are UF. Duh. But beware of the people who really only came to college for school and do not claim the "Gator" title. Some of them have the guts to admit they are friends and fans of the enemy that shall not be named!...Next, "Greeks". A day will not pass when you do not see letters from alpha to omega somewhere on campus! They are everywhere!! You have the white frat boys, the black frat boys, the Asian frats, Hispanic, Indian, it just does not stop. And then you have the sororities of the same kind! It is actually very fun to see the brother- and sisterhood they share with each other! And the random displays of their chants and dances on Turlington on the way to class! Next.. PARTY IN THE UFL!!!! Yes. UF is constantly seen as a HUGE party school. C'mon, UF is right off University Ave., probably THE busiest street in Gainesville. Clubs, bars, pubs, restaurants, and Mochi?? You basically just got down on your knees and begged for a paaaaaarrrttayyyyyyy!!!!!!! And wait!...can't forget the huge athletes who are always decked out in the nicest Gator gear. Sometimes I wish I was on the volleyball team just so I could wear their sweats...and those glorious moments when you see a star athlete like Trey Burton pass by you, yes ladies, it is quite an experience. HA! UF is basically it's own city, and there are many different people from many different places so there will always be someone to confirm your stereotype: this, I am sure!

University of Florida is notoriously know for its nerds and jorts stereotype. Being the flagship public university in the state, UF prides itself on offering one of the top higher level educations in the South East. While the admissions process is very competitive, UF brings in a diverse group of individuals who excel at more than just academics. And while the course work is very challenging, students find a wide variety of activities to keep themselves entertained outside the classroom. Intramural sports, clubs, SGA, youth groups, and greek life are just a few of the organizations that students get involved in. Library West may be crowded most nights of the week, but you'll always be able to have fun with other Gators by cheering one of Florida's 17 NCAA teams, at the Reitz Union Gator Nights, or even at the bars. Gators work hard, and party harder. Maybe only because of the stereotype, but you will inevitably see a fan or two wearing jorts on Gameday. But no, jorts are not something worn by the student population on a daily basis.

The most well known stereotype about UF that I constantly hear about has to be that it is completely made up of Greek Life. While I myself am a part of Greek Life, only about 20% of the total population of students at UF participate in it. I love Greek Life and I feel that if you want to join, you should definitely try it out. I can without a doubt say it's not for everyone, but even if you can't find a Frat or Sorority that you fit into there are still tons of other options to get involved. There are over 900 organizations at UF, including coed Business, Pre-med, Pre-law, etc. fraternities that you are kind of like Greek Fraternities and Sororities. There's even some clubs that will take you away on vacation (for a small price). For instance, my current roommate went on a weekend trip to North Carolina where she went camping and hot air ballooning with about 20 other UF students. There's tons of things to get involved in, don't let the rumors of "Go Greek or Don't Go Here" scare you!

Well, I'd say most of my peers are very intelligent for sure, but what I've found is that they're not arrogant at all. Actually, I think most of my peers are really nice people. Something I also like about UF is how culturally diverse the school is. Not many people know this, but aside from there being many students on campus, there are also many students off campus who go to school online with UF. There are people from just about every corner of the world on and off campus. Most students on campus tend to be your average college student age. Many are from different parts of the state, country, and the world. Off campus students tend to be non traditional students; folks who are coming back to school after many years; they may have families and full time jobs now. They're coming back to study with UF online because of how convenient it is.

I wouldn't exactly say that there are stereotypes at the University of Florida. Sure there are "frat guys" and "jocks" but they don't always fit the stereotype for that. Some of the "frat guys" are friendly and involved with many other organizations on campus like a Christian club, or the LGBT community. I wouldn't really put a label on the entire school because each person is so different than just one thing that they are involved with. For instance, I'm a female in a fraternity. I'm not a "frat girl" or "typical sorority girl", I'm just a Brother in an amazing Brotherhood. No matter where you go, you will find people that do fit a certain stereotype, however, I wouldn't label that entire organization as a specific sterotype because each person within can be very different.

Students that go to UF are typically stereotyped as a variety of things, including frat kids, snobby sorority girls, and of course, the obnoxious gator fans. Being an SEC school, our greek system seems to be pretty prominent. However, only about 25% of our 50,000+ population is in a fraternity or sorority. There are many other ways to participate in social life. So we're not ALL frat guys and sorority girls. The only other stereotype that really exists is that we're obnoxious about your loyalty to our school. Yes, we're rowdy. Yes, we might call the other teams names. Yes, we know that orange and blue don't actually match, yet try to wear them together on any occasion.

Greeks rule the school at the University of Florida-and yes the stereotypes are true! I'm in a sorority at UF and have been exposed to far too many frat stars on campus. Frat guys seem to be a staple at UF with a website dedicated to how idiotic they look daily. Greeks rule the UF campus, they are the most involved students in every organization. However the Greeks are elitist. There are tell-tale signs of being greek on campus (frat tanks, croakies, anoraks, and Sperrys) that students look for to identify you as either greek or GDI (God Damn Independent.) The Greeks tend to socialize with their kind and stray away from GDIs.

Sure, there are a few. Most people don't care though. Throughout campus everyone is generally mingling together. The are foreign students that often keep to themselves, but I think it's due more to the language barrier. The greeks are another one. You get asked that a lot, but more for a conversation starter. There are a LOT of greeks. The greeks are known for partying and being crazy, but they are not all like that. The partying can be accurate for some, but not always. There are many greek associations based on interests such as business.

A lot of people assume that the University of Florida is a school just for kids who want to get drunk at football games. Although we do love some Gator football, this is not the case. Everyone I know that attends UF is there first and foremost for academics. People are very serious about their work. The students here are extremely studious; the library is always packed and office hours never go wasted. Yes, we love to go out and have a good time, but we don't ever forget why we're at the Gator Nation to begin with, and that's learning.

The stereotype seems to be that UF students are uppity and assume themselves to be better than everybody else at other schools. I would say that this stereotype is generally accurate, but I haven't seen it cause any harm. UF is ranked among the top public universities yearly and is always listed as the #1 school in Florida. The pride of the students is certainly justified. While they make take their enthusiasm to some levels of extremity, the rivalries and trash talk are almost always in good fun.