University of Florida

« See more reviews of University of Florida

What is the stereotype of students at your school? Is this stereotype accurate?

I always heard that students at UF were rabid sports fans and partied all the time like there was no tomorrow. Like most stereotypes, there is a degree of truth to it. Gainesville does have a vibrant nightlife with plenty of clubs and parties. However, UF is such a large school that you can find every type of person so while it's true some people party almost every night, other people rarely go out. Also, you don't absolutely have to be a sports fan to enjoy UF.

The thing about the University of Florida is that because the state itself is so diverse, the school reflects that. There are people from South Florida, the pan-handle, and out of state like me. So when I hear stereotypes about UF like, "They are all Miami Guidos" or "Everyone's really fratty", my first thought is, they're both kind of accurate! There really is every type of person you could imagine here and theres room for all of them to feel comfortable.

I know a few years back UF was picked as the top party school in the country, so people might have the impression that that's what we're all about here. While I won't deny that Gators know how to have a good time, there's alot more to get out of your experience at UF. We have an outstanding academic program. Great professors, top-knotch research, and more. And there's always something to do to stay busy, even if you'er not the party type.

Because of the fairly high ranking of some of our athletic programs (namely football and basketball), I think one stereotype of our students here at the University of Florida is that there are a large amount of jocks and athletes here on campus. Overall, it is normal to share classes with student athletes, but they're just that, students who play sports. There is also a fairly large Greek community here on campus as well.

The stereotype at the University of Florida is that everyone is intelligent, and is going to school in order to achieve the best degree they possibly can. I think a lot of people who don't go to the university think the students are full of themselves and ignorant. But being a student here, I can say that most people are here for the common goal of getting a more elite education than other schools in the state of Florida.

Typically the students that attend University of Florida are classified into 2 groups, South Florida kids who live in MIami/Ft. Lauderdale listen to electro music go clubbing and dress flashy. The other group being composed of "Southern" kids, who chew tobacco and like to go hunting and fishing, while there girls are classified as southern belles. Also students here have a reputation of being smart.

The stereotypes are that we are a party-school that doesn't take our work seriously, and that we are all in the Greek system. However, Greek life is a minority at our school. Also, while a lot of people do party (some even every day of the week), it definitely does not define the student body. Those that do party tend to be found in the library studying first, anyways!

Many people believe that UF is full of overachieving geeks and foreign students. While both of these stereotypes are true to an extent, UF is not confined to just these two types of students. The University of Florida actually has one of the most diverse student bodies, ranging from the super smart chemistry wiz to the bubbly sorority girl.

There is a large Greek community so there are your stereotypical frat guys and sorority girls. On the other hand, there is also a great Engineering program so there are your stereotypical nerds as well. The student body at UF is very diverse so it is difficult to categorize the whole body of students into just one stereotype.

Greeks and Frats, it's pretty accurate because people think that if they don't join a sorority or a fraternity they won't have fun in college but that's not true at all. I know a couple of people who are being successful without being Greek, that being said there is also some advantages to joining a sorority and fraternity.