University of Florida

« See more reviews of University of Florida

What is the stereotype of students at your school? Is this stereotype accurate?

In the past, the University of Florida has been stereotyped as a party school. Therefore, many people would think of the students at the University of Florida as "partiers." However, I have spent three and a half years at the University of Florida, and I have found that the majority of students do not simply party all the time. The University of Florida has a very diverse group of students. Everyone can find his or her place at this wonderful school. I have found that if you want to be a "partier," then it really does not matter what school you attend because you can find parties at every university. Any student can find something he or she loves to participate in at the University of Florida, whether it is sports, greek life, or volunteering.

Many people say that University of Florida student's are "stuck-up" because of the fact that they are Gators. This stereotype is in fact untrue. We are so lucky and fortunate to be a part of the Gator nation, which is why we are so proud to boast about our attendance UF. UF is such a big school, and it prides itself on the diversity of students. There are so many clubs, institutions, organizations and opportunities open to versatile students, so it is impossible to stereotype a school of over 50,000 students.

The stereotype at my school is that we are all sports fanatics. There are the different types of students to include jocks and geeks. However, the school is so large and diverse that it doesn't cause poor relationships amongst any students. As for the stereotype that we are all sports (gator) fanatics, it is not true because many people, like myself, come to the school for the academics and education as opposed to the sports team.

I would say that University of Florida students get stereotyped most often as Greeks (fraternity guys and sorority girls) and aloof, arrogant students who believe themselves better than students of other schools (such as FSU) because of the prestigious school they attend and the difficulty of acceptance into the university. I have heard both of these stereotypes from students of other schools, including FSU.

There are a lot of stereotypes at UF that everyone is a part of or wants to be a part of the greek system. In addition, there are a lot of stereotypes about people who participate in the greek system. For example, I have heard that sorority and fraternity members are promiscuous and are more concerned with having a good time then getting good grades.

Sometimes, UF students are seen by others as being stuck up. Honestly, the students are extremely down to earth. We get the stereotype because we are extremely proud to be Gators, and we are proud of our academics as well as athletic departments. To others, it sometimes comes across as being snooty, but Gators certainly are not!

When people think "UF," they typically think of fraternities and partying. But while Greek life is prevalent and a big part of campus life, UF also has renown academic programs in journalism, health, business, and more.

I think the stereotype at this school is all the really smart nerdy kids. This is true in the way that everyone at this school is very intelligent, but trust me, we know how to have fun.

There's a million nerds, a million people in the Greek life, and If you look hard enough, there's a perfect niech for everyone.

Frat kids Football fans Gator pride