University of Florida

« See more reviews of University of Florida

I honestly can not name one "best" thing about this school. I truly love it here, and there are way too many positive attributes to this college. One thing I would change is the student government system. It is a bit corrupt. The school is just the right size, in my opinion! It is a larger school, but you see people you know everywhere. Also, you can always reach out and get to know your professors. When I tell people that I go to the University of Florida, they usually react positively (even if they are from a rival school) because it is well-known as one of the top public universities in the nation. Most of my time on campus is probably spent in Library West, the main library on campus and my favorite study spot. The college town is AMAZING! Gainesville is definitely run by the college. It's a small town with lots of people! They definitely cater to the students, with many clubs and bars, and restaurants and stores that are open MUCH later than usual. This is ideal for me (and any other college student) that ends up rushing around at the last minute! My opinion of the administration is pretty neutral. I have had good experiences and bad ones relating to medical withdrawals and the disability resource center. Other than that, I have not encountered the administration too much. The biggest recent controversy on campus is probably just the last student election. The Unite party (mostly Greek run) somehow always wins, despite being the minority and having corrupt ideas. They even do things like throw out stacks of he student-run newspaper to prevent students from reading anything negative about them (...but really, they didn't even recycle the papers!!!) A lot of students complain about the student government and elections when that time rolls around each year. This is probably the most frequent student complaint. There is SO much school pride on campus. Go Gators! The university has some unusual quirks about it, but I can't think of any off the top of my head at the moment. They are mainly urban legends about campus landmarks and such. The experiences I will always remember include my first Gator football game, and taking two specific classes. My first football game was just amazing. It blew me away with the amount of fans having so much fun together in the stadium (and I'm not even a big football fan!). Also, I will always remember my Educational Psychology class and my Comparative Psychology class. I took Educational Psychology my very first semester, and I had a moment where it just clicked that psychology was what I wanted to do. It prompted me to change my major! Comparative psychology was a similar situation, except it helped me realize the sub-field of psychology that I knew I wanted to work in. Also, both professors were amazing and friendly, and got to know me very well.

First I'll answer the consideration questions and then provide my overall opinion. - The best thing about this school is the opportunities you have at it. Everything you'd ever want in college you can get here -- studying abroad, challenging classes, parties, football, basketball, community service, religious organizations, artistic outlets, dance classes, everything! - The other side of the coin of having such opportunities at such a large university is that you are not spoon fed, at all. If you want those opportunities, that double major, that study abroad program, that housing arrangement, that class, you need to find out the ways to get it and get it yourself. Of course, a start is to make yourself go see an advisor (in my major, you aren't required to have an advisor), which are always there for you to guide you if you *come to them.* You need to take initiative. - Some people criticize UF for being so big but if you talk to any UF student they'll tell you the same thing: "You only realize it's so big when you're at football games and you see how big the student section is!" - People are impressed when I tell them I go to UF. They definitely respect it as a sound and prestigious institution. - I live on campus, so I guess technically in my dorm! But I go to Library West a lot, or more specifically, the Starbucks! - Gainesville is the definition of a college town. - They are professionals who take their job and the standard of the education and experience at UF very seriously. - There has been a lot of debate about making our Library 24 hours and finally it happened for this semester! So the Library is 24 hours Sunday - Thursday. This issue has been hotly debated for years among students and student government, and now finally happened. - IT'S GREAT TO BE A FLORIDA GATOR. Yes, there is a TON of school pride! - One thing unusual about UF is the way some of its classroom buildings are designed. UF has won awards for environmentally friendly designs of buildings, like Turlington, but they are a maze to get around at first! - I will always remember my first Homecoming parade! - The most frequent student complaints are about not being able to get the classes they wanted or the housing they wanted. My overall opinion is definitely a favorable one. One of the biggest pull factors for going to UF is the relative cheap price of tuition, especially if you are a Florida Resident and are eligible for Bright Futures Scholarships. (And if you happen to have Florida Prepaid!) You get a very good education from a prestigious university for a very little price.

I really love the school! I transferred to the school from Miami-Dade College after my first two years, and I just don't feel out of place at all. The professors are all amazing and knowledgable. They make me feel like they care about us, and they try really hard to help us learn and do our best. It's rare to find such caring professors, especially in such a big school like UF. The thing I like most about the school is that I don't feel less special than a football player. UF is perhaps one of the most generous schools in the state of Florida when it comes to financial aid. Florida residents, there are tons of scholarships that are made available to UF students, tons of grants, and they are all provided by the UF alumni network alone. I think in this regard, UF has achieved a balance that many other schools probably don't have. We're big in sports, especially football, but we don't forget about our academics, and I love that about my school. There is so much school spirit at UF, you'll feel left out if you're not in blue and/or orange attire! When I first went to visit the school, that was the first thing I noticed. Everyone is so school spirited! Even outside of the school, you see the school colors everywhere you go. I love how everyone loves the school and can't wait to show it off. We're so positive and proud to be there. It's quite an experience! The school is HUGE! It's like it's own little world! There's so much to do. There are parks, there are lakes, the student center looks like a mall! There are so many different food choices. There are always activities going on on campus. There is a pretty big greek scene, but if you're not part of a frat or sorority, it's alright, because there are many other activities you can join. There's a club for everyone. Gainesville is also a very quaint college town. There's so much to do and see. It's a great place to be. Plus, it's very centric. It's close to Orlando and Tampa, even Jacksonville is pretty close. The thing I love most about the school and Gainesville in general is that it's very eco friendly. The city provides buses that take you everywhere you want to go, and the bus system is free for all students. It's a really efficient bus system too, which is rare for Florida. Gainesville is also a bike friendly community. Actually, many students have bikes, so it's not uncommon to see people biking to class. Overall, I really have to say, I love my school!

The diversity of people hands down is the best part of the school. There are so many different kinds of people here, that no matter what your into you'll find your niche. Interacting with such diverse people has helped me grow and expanded my views on things that i've never thought of before. UF's campus on paper seems huge-but in reality its not that big AT ALL. Most classes are fifteen minutes away from the major dorms on campus. At first the campus seemed so overwhelming, but having been here for two semesters already, i can navigate around campus like a pro. When i tell people I go to UF, their reaction usually somewhat consists of them thinking i'm really smart. Which to a certain extent is true,but you need more than brains to succeed here. Most of my time on campus is spent at my sorority house (since all my meals are there, and friends for the most part) or at library west. Its basically impossible to study in a dorm there are too many distractions, and the 3rd floor of the library is the perfect quiet i need to study. Gainesville is most definitely a college town, but has some disadvantages. There isn't many things to do that aren't alcohol related, besides a movie theatre or the campus bowling alley (which in my opinion is kind of lame). I wish there was somewhere to play mini golf or go kart, on the nights when i need a break from the bar scene. The cool thing about Gainesville being a college town is the bar scene though. Right across from the stadium on University Ave, is what is called Midtown. Midtown is home to Swamp (probably the most fun yet strictest bar) and other fun bars. Midtown is also infamous for cops, and written arrests. Then if you go further down university you reach Downtown, which features more nightclubs and fun restaurants. I don't have much to say on UF's administration, i have yet to have to interact with them. There is a TREMENDOUS amount of school pride especially during football season. The friday before home games is filled with drunk gator fans packing midtown. The biggest controversy on campus recently is the introduction of minus grades (which is the worst idea ever) next fall.

Attending the University of Florida is an opportunity of a lifetime. The Gator Nation has so many opportunities for advancement that can tailor to each individual person. Through programs offered at the University of Florida, students gain a unique and amazing experience that will shape them into the person they want to become. The campus is beautiful and makes you want to be outside all the time. The culture at UF is diverse and exciting because every student is proud to be a Gator. Although the classes can be very challenging, they test a students limits and are rewarding upon completion. The only complaint I have ever heard from students is that parking at UF for classes is not good. However, the bus system is amazing and buses pass by each stop every ten minutes which lessens the parking issue. The University of Florida may be a large school, but there are so many ways to make it feel small. It's easy to find a place where you belong because there are clubs for virtually any interest. The environment on campus is warm and inviting, and not just because of the weather. The faculty and students at UF are friendly and always wiling to help. I have had an amazing experience at UF and gained relationships that will continue after school once my time at college is over. When I tell people I go to the University of Florida, I say it with a smile because I know they are impressed and because I am proud to be a Florida Gator.

My school is very large and it can be overwhelming at times as to whether or not you'll be noticed. The students work very hard and are almost always involved in multiple activities and extracurriculars. I believe that it takes this kind of hard-work and well roundedness for a person to survive in the real world. However, one thing I would change is the number of international or diversity courses that are offered here. I would like to increase this number and also increase the pay for teachers and lower the cost for students. This would be ideal but highly improbable. I spend most of my time on campus in the library. Gainesville is definitely a college town. UFL's administration is lacking in proper budgeting and is not putting enough money to support liberal arts majors such as history. The biggest recent controversy on campus was the pro-life anti-abortion activists who were protesting against abortion with large graphic images displayed in UF's main plaza. There is definitely a lot of school pride as many students see UF's football team in particular as being above average lending the name of "title town USA" to this small city of Gainesville. One experience I will always remember is the great fun and new found freedom I found living with, albeit cramped living conditions, 2 roommates my freshman year. The most frequent student complaints are directed towards the lack of adequate parking spaces on campus.

The best thing about UF is the location of campus and downtown in relation to the city. Everything is close knit and I like that. One thing I would change is possibly adding more classes that focus on hands on work experience and less on getting A's. My school is just right, although there are many classes with hundreds of people, there are also ones with 15 or less. When I tell someone I go to UF they smile and nod - apparently the Gators are well known in Florida. On campus I spend a lot of time in the Weimer library and at the Hub on my computer. It is certainly a college town. The administration at UF is sometimes unfriendly, but at least I get to register for classes. A controversy on campus was over which student government party should be elected. UF has immense school pride - Everywhere you turn there are posters showing the university and businesses always cater to that. The one thing I find unusual about UF is the fact that we have E instead of F for a failing grade. I will always remember my experience the summer of 2007 studying abroad in Berlin for photojournalism - LOVED it.

It's great to be a florida gator! i adore living in a college town even if traffic is undearable sometimes. while on capus, i can usually be found at the aphio info booth in turlington or in class. i find UF's architecture to be aesthetically pleasing but hated the size of campus when i was a freshman. the dorms are tiny but i loved broward. public transportation is amazing here! (there is no public transportation where i'm from) most people resond favorably and even impressed when i tell them i go to UF. game day is my favorite. I look forward to saturdays in the fall all year. school pride on gamedays is inescapable! cries of 'go gators!' can be heard echoing throughout campus during football season. my best friend, who hated all sports when we started here, is now the biggest gator fan! he goes to athletic events all year ranging from football to gymnastics. its awesome. in general, i love everything about Uf from its student body to its sprawling campus, UF is the place to be.

I hold the highest regards for my school. Not only are the students proud to attend UF but everyone we encounter admires our accomplishment. It is a very large school which has important benefits such as providing networking opportunities. There is also an immense variety of clubs and recreational sporting activities. Even though the school has a relatively large population, it is never difficult to consult with a professor or an advisor. One frequent complaint is the size of the campus. It is a big campus and it's easy to get lost or figure out what buses to take. Luckily there is a campus map online and bus schedules as well. The most recent complaint that has caused a bit of controversy on campus has been the possible implementation of block tuition and increasing tuition rates. Our students are very passionate and active so protesting and petitions aren't uncommon in major areas of the campus. Overall I am proud to attend the University of Florida, it is an extraordinarily spirited school.

One thing that I would change about UF would be the president of the university, Bernie Machen. Another would be the over-representation of students in greek societies. While I myself am in an organization that uses greek letters, we do not fall into the fold of the "greek culture" (meaning fraternities and sororities). Our student government is run by a shadow organization called Florida Blue Key and has been proved in court to be the puppet master. These people run this campus and run it in a self serving manner that legislatively ignores the will of the population (as proven through referendums passed and then not supported by the SG). Sadly, most students do not vote. Moving on, people react positively when I tell them that I attend UF. On campus, I spend most of my time near Turlington Plaza. Gainesville is not a college town in that there is a small non-college population here, but it definitely focuses on UF in the fall with football.