University of Florida

« See more reviews of University of Florida

There isn't a set type of person that would not be able to thrive at the University of Florida. However there are certain characteristics that would hold a student back from thriving not only at the University of Flordia but any establishment dedicated to higher education. Characteristics such as being unmotivated, undetermined, or unambitious will hinder any student in pursuit of a college degree. Also being closed minded and unaccepting are also characteristics that would be unacceptable at the University of Florida as there are a variety of people from different cultures and countries who attend this university.

Speaking as a theatre major, I would advise anyone with the intention of majoring in the performing arts to look elsewhere. I will personally be transferring to the Bachelor of Fine Arts - Acting program at the Florida State University in the Fall of 2014. So much funding from the University of Florida goes to their medical and engineering programs, with little to spare for the arts, and the school is becoming increasingly more connected to Shands, while losing its connection with the Hippodrome Theatre. In addition, opportunity is limited, as undergraduates share productions and stage time with the graduate students.

Home to approximately 50,000 students, the opportunities to join clubs, sports and other organizations are endless. In the classroom, professors and students of all nationalities can be found in class sizes that range from fifteen students to over four hundred. Students at the university are proud to be there and show fantastic school spirit. So, if you prefer a smaller school with smaller classes, a less diverse population, and are uninterested in a community that praises the colors of orange and blue, you may want to consider an alternative university or a smaller community college.

I don't believe UF is the appropriate setting for a student who places great importance on spirituality. It is also not the greatest school for fine arts majors, since its programs do not offer enough opportunities for students. Also, students who are used to living in large metropolitan cities might feel as though there aren't enough resources for them in Gainesville. Jobs, career opportunities, shopping venues, and landmarks are scarce in this city. Lastly, a student who has an unclear career goal might find UF's size and lack of guidance too overwhelming.

To be successful at UF, one needs to be very hard-working and goal oriented. As Florida's leading public univeristy, classes are hard and require time and effort be devoted to studying and mastering ones field of study. This being said, a person who isn't prepared to work hard to achieve their goals should not attend UF. In addition, the campus is very large and has a huge student body, containing over 50,000 students. Because of this, I would discourage a student who is interested in a small, intimate college setting from choosing to study at here.

The University of Florida offers a young student the opportunity to mature, learn, and develop. Students find themselves with an overwhelming number of opportunities (many interesting majors, exciting student clubs, fun parties, avenues for getting fit, etc). Young adults who are unprepared to navigate this terrain of options can find themselves wasting money and time having a good time, but will end their time with little to show for it. Most students stumble in one way or another, but a successful one has to be resilient and self-reflective.

Someone that is not willing to take changes should not attend this school. The University of Florida offers so many great opportunities to improve yourself and make a difference in the world. Students who do not love life or who are not compassionate about other people should not attend UF. The feeling of being a Gator is contagious. Its a sense of belonging and worth. Our academics are outstanding and our sports teams are amazing. Someone that doesn't feel compelled to take action and enjoy these things, should attend a different school.

The University of Florida is the Premier school in Florida, and therefore it’s often the first choice for many of the top students in the state. Despite this, I wouldn’t recommend it to everyone, especially to those that aren’t willing to put in the work. College is a wholly different experience from high school. To put it bluntly, there’s no one to hold your hand and your professors expect you to know the material before you walk in the door. However, don’t let this scare you away, because it handsomely rewards those who succeed.

While the University of Florida embraces diversity of all kinds, there are some people who just do not belong here at UF. These people include anyone who does not want to embark on the greatest social and academic experience of their life and students who do not care about Gator spirit and pride. If you aren't loyal to the University and everything it stands for, than there truly is no point in attending it. Also, for anyone who wishes to simply graduate by getting by and not abiding by honesty, this is not the school for them.

Students who are not determined, proactive, or hard-working should not attend the university. Students who procrastinate on their responsibilities do not make school their highest priority. The university wants students who strive to "get ahead" and make every moment count towards a successful career and future. Therefore, students who do not complete homework, do not go to class, or do not give full attention to instructors during class should not attend the university in hopes of receiving a full, well-rounded education.