University of Florida

« See more reviews of University of Florida

The most frustrating thing about the University of Florida is it's trict grading policy. As I compared other schools grading policies, such as the University of South Florida to my own, Florida's grading policy didn't include grade forgiveness for repeat courses. If a student were to fail a class before withdrawing from the course then their grade remains permanently on their transcript. Furthermore when the failed course is retaken both failing and passing grades are prorated and to make matters worse the course must only be retaken at the University if Florida to receive GPA credit.

The most frustrating thing about my school would have to be the amount of fast food restaurants located on campus. Every time you turn a corner there is some type of unhealthy choice for you to decide upon on. As a feshman this becomes an issue, you're new to the environment so your getting adjusted to the college life, and your always moving around so that unhealthy choice always seems the fast and easiest choice. I wish the University of Florida somehow incorporated healthier choices on campus so I wouldnt feel obligated all the time to make bad choices.

The most frustrating thing about the University of Florida is the size and seemingly unplanned layout of the campus. You see, the University of Florida started sitting on University Avenue and blossomed from there, organically, without any true rhyme or reason. Departments will pop up in one place, and then expand a few years later, in a distant and confusingly misplaced part of campus. On the bright side of this however, you'll find your buildings you need to go and your shortcuts you need to take in no time, and soon enough, it'll be just like home.

The most frustrating thing about my school is that although it is extremely hard to get into, it is not technically considered an Ivey League school. I put in an overwhelming amount of work in high school to get where I am right now and although I was accepted to other universities with more prestigious names than the University of Florida, I did not have the financial means to attend those schools and I wish that UF had the same amount of recognition for what it really is - an amazing University with all of the potential of Ivey League schools!

The most frustrating thing about the University of Florida is it's size. While it's size provides endless opportunities, it also makes it somewhat impersonal. Coming from a small town in Ohio and a high school of 450 students where I knew all of the faculty, administration and students, I was somewhat intimidated in seeking out help when I needed assistance. I am very thankful for the excellent support and guidance that I have received from my Resident Advisor which helped to make my transition to the University of Florida so successful.

The most frustrating thing about my school is the overcrowding problem. UF is a great school and many people want to attend, leading to many classes becoming crowded. This makes it difficult to learn to the best of my ability as the classes have too many people for the professor to effectively teach. The libraries and student union are also crowded, making it somewhat difficult to find places to study on campus, especially due to the lack of parking for so many students making it hard to get to the library and to class on time.

The most frustrating thing about my school is the parking on campus. Since parking lots are scarce on the campus, it is very difficult to obtain a parking spot. On top of the limited parking, the University disburses over 50% of allowable parking permits to students. This means that if you are able to afford a $250 a semester parking permit, the probability of actually being able to park comes down to less than 30%. The savior of this faulty parking system is the RTS bus route transportation system, which is dissmal as well.

The most frustrating thing about the University of Florida is one of the more superficial reasons. The facilities are simply old. The laboratories are in a state of disrepair and a lot of the equipment is old and rusty. The elevators in my dorm are consistently broken down and some of the desktops seem to have been made for people half the average student’s size. Other than that though, there’s not much to complain about. The faculty is top notch and I’ve learned an immense amount in my short time here.

The Advising office always gave me poor advice - reccomended classes I didn't need or talked me out of pre-req's I wanted to take (i.e. wanting to take pre-chemistry since I had never had chemistry. They advised against it and I struggled in the Chem 1 course and all the following because I never mastered the basics.) I never had the same advisor twice. Also many of the professors and TA's were not english-speaking natives which made understanding lectures and asking questions difficult at times.

The most frustrating thing about this school, for me, is the lack of scholarships for someone like me. My family's income lies just above their financial need standards, and there aren't any scholarships open for second generation Israelis. This has forced me to search elsewhere for scholarships, and has put financial strains on my family. Other schools in the state were offering me up to $10,000, but because I decided to attend the better school, I lost a lot of potential scholarships.