University of Florida Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for University of Florida

Alexis

Overall, the University of Florida is such a lively campus! Our student body is an eclectic group of students who are from a wide variety of countries. Academics is extremely important, however the campus provides plenty of resources for students to enjoy during their down time. Another key feature about UF's campus is how involved the faculty and staff are to ensure that every student leaves UF as successful as they could possibly be! I couldn't think of a more friendly, involved, and down to earth university President than UF's president, Kent Fuchs. Since the first day on UF's campus, I've considered this campus my home away from home. Go Gators!

Abie

I feel very proud to be a student at UF and know that my money is going towards a great education. The professors are usually very intellectually stimulating and know how to keep the students interested. They are usually very in touch with their subject and very educated on their topics. I have always felt very comfortable in the classrooms.

I love it! I've only been at the University of Florida for a semester, but I've had the opportunity to make great friends, learn a lot, and get involved on campus. I am a member of several student organizations, and I've made lifelong friends through them. Housing on campus is convenient, and there are plenty of places for food and entertainment. I love many of my professors, and I would encourage anyone to apply to UF for an all-around great college experience.

Shambhavi

the university has a good amount of resources and is progressing quickly to becoming a major contender in the research world, but its liberal arts funding is lacking. there is a clear discrepancy between the prioritization of STEM careers over others is quite disheartening. also the lack of attention on the needs of minority students including peoples of color and LGBTQ+ students is a black spot on the university. despite student protest and activism we are hardly heard.

Amber

It's great to be a Florida Gator! I stand behind my decision to attend UF even though I was hesitant at first. Any school is going to be what you make it, but you UF gives you the opportunity to do whatever what you would like and will stand behind you in all your endeavors.

Justin

The University of Florida is the premier academic institution in the state of Florida. With a student enrollment of around 50,000 students and an alumni base of over 300,000 strong, there are opportunities at every corner. A massive 2,000-acre campus may seem intimidating to incoming students, but the time to get acclimated is minimal. UF is currently a top 15 U.S. public university, but with rapid innovations and goal of preeminence, the university will break the top 10 in no time. As a transfer student, adapting to a new school can be difficult, but fortunately I felt right at home when I ventured into the land of orange and blue. There’s a small process to get into the swing of things, but that’s routine with any life undertaking. With over 100 undergraduate major, dozens of prestigious graduate programs, and 1,000 student organizations, there are a wealth of areas to explore. As a journalism major, the valuable experiences I've encountered will propel me to a successful career. Career resources and professionals are here to help students with life after graduation, and courses allow students to explore all realms of journalism. I’ve acquired skills in multimedia, reporting, law, ethics, sports media and even magazine writing. I’ve had some pretty memorable professors, including the former executive editor of the Tampa Bay Times and an international journalist who was held captive overseas. From gaining hands-on experience in a newsroom setting to seeing my name in multiple campus publications, I feel confident as a young professional heading into the industry with ambitious intentions. I can honestly say attending UF has been the best decision I’ve ever made. And I don’t just say that as a biased student, but someone who truly enjoys calling myself a member of Gator Nation.

Lindzy

I love the sports and the academics are very hard. It is very expensive to live on or off campus, and the parking is awful. The university has plenty of ways to get involved and has something for everyone. It is hard to get the classes you need/want because it fills up very quickly and there are not enough seats for everyone needing the class.

It is a top ten public institution in the country and has one of the best research programs. Some teachers do not teach well, and there is still work to be done concerning the Computer Science department, but the quality of education found at UF cannot be found in any other Florida institution. I am proud to be a Gator!

The University of Florida has proved to be a great school for me. It's small enough to so you still feel personally involved in every club you join rather than feeling like another number, but big enough to provide a variety of groups for individuals of various personalities with different interests. We focus a lot on sports but there still is a major interest toward the arts and their incorporation with the school and various events. I have loved my time here so far and can't wait to spend the next couple years here.

UF has everything you could ever want in a big campus. From the minute you step on to campus, there's something to do and someone to meet. The dorms are... Well they're dorms but liveable. There's so many clubs and groups and Greek life to meet new people. The professors are often the best in the country in their field. The sports... Well there's nothing better than being national champion during each season!

Kelsey

It's been a great experience for the past 4 years. I'm excited to be an alum soon.

Katherine

The University of Florida has a lot to offer to students, both academically and socially. The opportunities for research are incredible, and people are willing to help you in your career path. Socially, UF has all of the aspects of a traditional college experience and has some of the best sports teams in the country. Student life can include partying, but there are plenty of students who spend their time doing other activities. With so many clubs and intramural teams, you are sure to find your niche. The professors are not only qualified teachers, but are some of the best in their field. The campus is beautiful, and has a variety of spots to study or socialize. I am very happy with my decision to attend this University and would recommend it to someone else looking for a school with great academics and student life.

Daniel

University of Florida is more than a university. It's a way of life, that sounds cheesy I know, but it's the truth. I came to University of Florida with one thing on my mind, my degree. I spent my first entire semester purely focused on course work, but my extended time here has revealed more to me. Unlike home-schools like FLVS-FT where live lessons were really the only time to socialize, UF prefers to engage students; even students using UF Online (like myself). Regardless of where you live there's always a chance to be a part of something; not only do we have some Greek groups, we also happen to have a thriving artistic community, complete with our own theater and massive free speech zones where people can socialize about literally anything. This is a University that thrives on community and acceptance. Of course, there's more to the university than social acceptance and connectivity, there's the larger matter of flexibility. The fact that the University of Florida has a serious attend school from home option is amazing. Due to my suppressed immune system and unique medical situation living with Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis, a well populated campus is a good thing on one end but a hazard to my weakened health on the other. However, thanks to the UF online program I'm still capable of reaching my full academic potential. That's not even the best part, UF is paradoxically academically challenging while remaining approachable to the first-generation students such as myself. Admittedly I was intimidated about the idea of attending Heavener Business School, let alone University of Florida, yet here I am. The system and academic programming has been fair but firm, allowing me to work my schedules in ways that meet my deadlines without crushing my will to continue with the school. Realize however that, as I said, the school is challenging, there are no slouches at UF so far as I'm concerned (none that want an actual career). Course work normally requires a good week to study for an actual exam, sometimes two weeks. However, it's worth it. If what we learn does not directly apply to our major, at least it contributes to our understanding of the world around us. For instance, I'm a business major, specifically attempting to acquire my BSBA, I don't really need to learn how to answer IUF 2000's question regarding what makes a life good. However, learning in the humanities, while learning about say Micro-Economics provides interesting contrasts into the minds of everyday people. In a way, it still manages to contribute to business as it teaches us how some people think, and thus elements and ideas that may influence business decisions and transactions. The same goes for learning about the History of Popular Music and so on. If I spent all my time explaining how excellent, high quality, and ultimately informative each class was this essay might take hours to read. Therefore, I'll move on to one of the last (and from my perspective best) things that make UF so special, the professors. So far, I have had the pleasure of working with eight different professors at the University of Florida. Each one shared the following qualities, they were focused teachers, and well learned. They were always well grounded in their material and very capable of transferring their knowledge into other forms that might make difficult concepts more accessible by representing them in real life. Professor Rush of MICRO 2013, a microeconomics professor, would do this masterfully in his lectures regarding business management, the flow of goods and how the basic business wide economy works. Not only that but nearly all the professors are refreshingly human. When people are young they hear the stories about the angry, elderly professor who has no time for nonsense or complications, he just wants the work in on time. These professors are more interested in one's actual success than meeting the deadline. There is no question that goes unanswered if a student is honestly in need of help, and as for the deadlines many of them are surprisingly flexible. An email sent in advance explaining a doctor's appointment or an unavoidable engagement normally results in an assignment extension or at worst a re-take. If there's an emergency that can be worked around as well. Beyond these qualities what more can I say, preparing for a school year is made quick and clean by your personal counselor, who treats you as an individual as they help you build your learning plan. As a result, I am where I am at this moment, with one year of college completed and already I feel a new air of confidence and promise with a university I can trust. Not only will I get my degree here, I feel that all that I learn here will give me a new understanding of the world, of people and perhaps even of myself. I would recommend the University of Florida to anyone looking to find their degree and so much more. I recognize I did not give a review of the sports section of UF, however admittedly I’ve been wrapped up in my studies and due to living arrangements making time for sporting events is very tricky. I know the UF Gators have incredible team spirit, and why shouldn’t they. With stars like Tim Tebow as former heroes of this University, the sporting events are the stuff of legend. I dearly hope I can make the time to attend a game soon. Go Gators!

Rachael

The University of Florida is an amazing school. It has something for everyone. on-campus activities are abundant and the large student body means you are bound to find a group that you fit well with. You can have am interesting social life if that is what you are looking for or you can be strictly focused on academics of that is what you chose. It is up to you. The professors are amazing and most of them love teaching and getting to know and help their students. The campus is beautiful and you will love the atmosphere! Go Gators!

Justin

(In Morgan Freeman’s voice) Ah, the most respected and rigorous institution in the southeastern United States (according to the students, alumni, faculty, and the 500 people that actually live in Gainesville year-round). Where every young buck growing up in the state of Florida dreams of matriculating so they can create memes on the award-winning Facebook group, “Swampy UF Memes for Top Ten Public Teens”. The arch rival of the only other well-known Institution-That-Shall-Not-Be-Named in Florida, located in Talla-Nasty full of seething UF rejects. The home of the Florida Gators, a football team that hasn’t done anything particularly special in ten years but whom the student body cheers on every Saturday “In All Kinds Of Weather”. The University of Florida, the crown jewel of the state’s lacking education system (insert mental picture of Ben Hill Griffin Football Stadium, we know you know what it looks like). In a nutshell, UF is humid, hot, and features afternoon drizzles year-round in Rainesville, FL. All of the students have a perpetual tan and use “dude” as a term of endearment. Everyone is constantly talking about “Mid” as the confused freshman ask, “Middle of what?” while proclaiming in the same breath, “I’m a junior by credits”, to the glee of the upperclassmen seeking fodder for the meme page. It is fullest of the brightest shining stars the state has to offer, and they know it. Still, the student body is quite humble, and lives by the mantra, “Once a Gator, always a Gator”. Upperclassmen are always helping the freshmen, even as the freshmen in turn make it clear that they were accepted to the entire Ivy League, Oxford, the Grand Ole Opry, and the Pope’s house and only came to UF because all their tuition is paid by the state. It’s okay, the upperclassmen whisper, I was like that too. The Pope’s house isn’t actually all that great, dude. Above all, the student worship the beloved president of the university, Dr. Kent Fuchs, commonly referred to as “Daddy Fuchs”. His last name is pronounced “fox”, but that detail is frequently ignored when they talk about their revered leader. The students pray five times a day facing his house on campus, for deliverance from chem labs and three finals in one week. To compare, the student at Institution-That-Shall-Not-Be-Named have a president named John Thrasher, and no one calls him Daddy Thrasher. Can you imagine? No, never mind, please don’t. The dining hall food is meh, the dorms are hit or miss (have fun climbing fourteen stories’ worth of stairs when the Beaty Towers’ elevators stop working), and unless you’re in Greek Life, good luck getting involved in Student Government. And yet…there is a love on this campus, one that connects every student to each other, even as they stand in an afternoon shower at Ben Hill Griffin Stadium with Daddy Fuchs making dad jokes that will inevitably make it to “Swampy Memes”. This is a love that is spread every time you hear, “Go Gators!” It is a constant reminder that is always great to be a Florida Gator. (Insert mental imagine of logo because we know you know what that looks like too). 6/5 stars

Rhea

The University of Florida is a very well rounded school offering a range of activities and events for all types of people. Every person can find classes and activities right for them! I love UF because it has its own exciting culture that is clearly unique to anyone not from Gainesville!

I can sum up my response to this question with "It's great to be a Florida Gator". UF is a highly acclaimed university with outstanding faculty, staff and students who all share one thing in common. School spirit. The energy on and off campus is consistently friendly and collaborative. Whether you're cheering on the football team or your friend in the library at 2 a.m., you are proud to be a part of the Gator Nation. The campus is characterized by its large pine and oak trees scattered throughout the traditional brick buildings, and the occasional alligators (living and sculpted). The university offers its students extensive resources, clubs, organizations and activities to support their individual paths to success. If you didn't know how you felt about the University of Florida before visiting, I can guarantee you will be chanting "GO GATORS" afterward.

Gabrielle

It is a great school for academia. However, there is also a good party life. A good amount of people are involved in greek life, however there are also plenty who are not. Football season is extremely lively and students have pride and spirit. Overall, a very good school both academically and socially.

Isabelle

The school is a great school for academics. It is a huge school though so it is really easy to get lost within the amount of people and opportunity. It is very important to find a niche within your first semester and join clubs. There is a lot of room for growth and great networking opportunities. The gator nation is everywhere! The football and sports are really fun opportunities to come together as a school. Everyone is very supportive of each other. I've had a great experience and I know it was the best choice I could have made for myself.

The University of Florida is a great school to go to if you want to be able to graduate and have your potential employers be impressed. The campus is big, and if you're not involved on campus you probably don't have friends. The professors are great, and I've enjoyed classes so far.

Alexis

In a world where young adults feel societal pressure to make something of themselves while also discovering themselves, the University of Florida does a magnificent job of creating an environment for college students to do just that. The University of Florida is known for its academia; and while the university produces scholars that excel in their fields, it also produces adults that excel in their personal lives as well. As a student at the University of Florida I can attest to the fact that the university offers students plenty of resources to explore themselves and the world we live in. The student atmosphere is unparalleled as we all challenge each other to see the world from new perspectives and to venture out of our comfort zones. The University of Florida creates an environment where students can thrive not only academically but mentally, emotionally, and personally.

ZiaKemia

I believe that the University of Georgia is an amazing school. It looks like a good environmental school and people have fun while learning.

Daniel

I am going to be a freshman in the fall! I have toured the campus and various dorms. Some of the dorms are old but tolerable for a year (this is where they put most of the freshman because they are in the center of campus). Living on campus the first year is highly recommended as it is a great way to meet and make new friends! I am excited to be attending!!! GO GATORS!!!

Simone

I love how much love there is on campus and compassion. However, I wish it was more inclusive for the black population. You constantly are shown you are "other." And also the night life is too superficial. I am not the most beautiful girl out there, which is not a problem. Though, the fact that my looks can affect my ability to get into some parties is a bit vain. Then again, no one is responsible for me enjoying my life, right.

Kyle

The University of Florida is a very prestigious university in a boring town. If you want one of the best educations in the country for a portion of the cost of an Ivy League school, this is the place to be. It is superb in STEM classes with its own hospital and up to date engineering technology. Socially, we have some of the best sports programs in the nations and great greek life so it is usually hard to be bored. Overall, I highly recommend over other similar schools.

Isabel

The University of Florida's main focuses are academics and sports. Everyone works hard in their classes and is driven to succeed, but they all get together on game days to tailgate and cheer on the Gators. UF is the perfect combination of academics and extra curriculars. Whether you're into sports or not, you'll definitely get into the school spirit on game days. If sports aren't your thing, there are over a thousand clubs and organizations you can join that range in everything from video games to engineering to Quidditch. There's also a good amount of people involved in Greek life. On campus housing is reasonably priced and conveniently close to most classrooms and lecture halls. Off-campus housing can vary in reviews, but there are some nice, clean apartments that are not too far from campus. There is also lots of free transportation to most local areas provided by the school. There's not much to do around campus, but there's plenty of night life on campus. There are people who party every night and there are others who only go out on weekends or don't party at all. You can also find night life downtown, but most people don't feel as secure as they do on/near campus. The dining halls usually serve a good variety of food that caters to all, but if not, there are also plenty of fast food restaurants around campus. Most professors are very helpful and want you to succeed. They have scheduled office hours or provide you with how to contact them or your TA's for extra assistance. The libraries are always packed with students too, and free tutoring is provided for most classes.

Juliana

If you want a beautiful, diverse campus, with the small college town feel, then UF is FOR YOU! With a profound love for our alma mater, you will feel the orange and blue running through your veins as soon as you step on campus. If you want to have fun, there will always be someone to tag along. That being said, academics are taken very seriously here and you can see the commitment of every student to getting a quality education and shaping a great future for themselves.

Madison

I think that it's a really great school. There are many things that could be improved upon especially being that the university has so much money, but overall it's a great school. The buildings that have been newly renovated are very nice, especially when compared to the older buildings (which very clearly need renovated). The academics are intensive and class sizes can be large, considering it is a very large university but I have never personally had problems with class size hindering my learning.

Danna

it's one of the best universities in USA

The environment of the college felt like it came straight out of movie. Everyone was polite. It was a wonderful campus. You could tell it would be a great college to attend. You could see college athletes you think you would only see on TV all around campus! The football stadium was huge and was spirit orientated.

Mallika

My parents always told me to put citizenship before success. I learned about Seva, a Sanskrit word meaning “selfless service," an act performed with no expectation of repayment. There are levels to Seva: self, family and friends, and society. We must serve ourselves to avoid being a burden to society, care for our family and friends, and take care of others in the world. I’m the girl who always looks in a positive way, tries to improve them, and works to improve the quality of life for others. I absolutely enjoy being involved as much as possible! I have a great amount of leadership and community service experience from high school, and would love to continue that. I love working with other people too and making new friends! I always like having support and guidance through my academics. This is an amazing opportunity to combine all aspects of leadership, service, education, mentorship, networking, and various other skills all of which I enjoy! I hope to develop more leadership skills, build connections with mentors, develop my professional skills, gain research and internship opportunities, volunteer at various community service events, gain help with academics and help others, and of course make amazing friendships!

Kevin

It's one of two schools in Florida that have Animal Science as a major and the only University in Florida with an AVMA accredited College of Veterinary Medicine. That's why I go here. There's more resources than anyone can actually remember. Last year I learned that students can get free legal advice and physical evaluations. It's well worth the cost of tuition considering everything that is available on campus. Not everything is easy to find, but if you dig a little you can get a lot out of UF. If it fits your situation then go here without a second thought.

Madison

Great university that will prepare me for my future career. However, I do believe the school does make the classes harder then they need to be. It can sometimes feel like you are trying to hard to keep up that you aren't actually learning. Teachers sometimes are a little too pretentious and I often find it hard to communicate my troubles with them.

Jamie

The University of Florida offers hundreds of majors, with almost every college being the best in the state and several are even ranked nationally. It is a culturally diverse campus with thousands of clubs to join, from sports teams to chemistry fraternities to religious organizations. I have not regretted a single moment at the University of Florida and I can confidently say that I am getting an incredible education along with lots of leadership and community involvement, and friendships that will last a life time!

Christian

Parking is absolutely awful, campus parking enforcement is ruthless and rude. Advisors are unprofessional only having office hours for 3 hours a day. This school is completely about taking money out of your pocket and does not have any regards for student safety nor do instructors care about your success. Office hours for receiving a parking pass are extremely limited. The quality of education is poor. The fraternities and sororities are completely out of control. Completely unsafe campus. Daily incidents on or around campus. Proffesors are rude, said righteous and careless. There is no care expressed for students whatsoever. People work their tails off to get into this school and it is a complete waste because the poor student services and staff. Spend your money more wisely do not go to this institution because it is a scam

UF is a great school. There are a wide variety of topics to study. Game days are extremely fun, the whole campus comes out to support the Gators. Greek life is a very big deal on campus, you're not required to join, but it does make life easier. Do not underestimate how hot and sticky it is in the swamp.

Leon

The University of Florida is a great place to explore your future, meet new friends, and learn something new. The environment is laid out to put studying first; whether you do that or not is up to you however. Involvement on campus is very high and it's a great way to meet new people and socialize.

Anna

The University of Florida is a great school to express ones creative and academic ideas and personality. There is truly something for everyone. Whether it is sports, clubs, academic teams, organizations, Greek life, etc; there is always something for everyone to be a part of.

I personally love UF and recommend it to anyone! I have had an amazing experience thus far and would not change a thing. I love the gator nation and the culture it cultivates. We are truly one big family. The learning environment is like no other. Everyone has the same driven mind-set. Go Gators!

Leah

This is a great school. It has won so many awards and is a very distinguished school, however, I do not think that it is the school for me. While touring I did not feel at home, nothing that the tour guides did wrong, I just personally did not feel like this is the place I should be for the next four years of my life.

Julia

I grew up a Seminole but somehow ended up in the swamp and I love it here. I was a little intimidated by going to a large university but found there was nothing to be worried about. The class sizes are the perfect size, you are able to ask questions and the teachers really try to get to know all of their students. Also, it really is like we're all one big family here. Every club meeting I've been to or new student I've met, everyone has always been so kind and friendly. I truly love being a Florida Gator!

Lindsey

The University of Florida has provided me with a home away from home. I truly love the atmosphere here and everyone is so welcoming! While some professors are tough, you truly do learn a lot at your time at the University of Florida. There are so many ways to get involved from intermural sports, Greek Life, and a seemingly endless list of clubs and activities. Not to mention the swamp on Saturdays in the fall is the place to be with that gator pride. I will be forever proud to be a Florida Gator.

Samira

University of Florida is a great school compared to the tuition you pay. You get your money’s worth. Our education is very difficult and probably the most difficult in Florida. However, we have over 1000 groups and organization where you are able to find your niche. Overall, it’s a great school if you’re willing to put the time and effort into your education.

Angela

Love it there. And Gainesville is a beautiful city. Lots of character and plenty to do, whether you love the sports and uproar of a big game, or you like the theater and more "sophisticated" activities. There is something for everyone. And UF is one of the best schools I've researched.

Betyna

My time at UF was fantastic, I would not trade the experiences, friendships, and life lessons I have learned there. UF excels in both academics and sports. Football is the highlight of any fall semester regardless of how well, or poor, the team is doing. In all kinds of weather, we all stick together. Traditional freshmen classes tend to be overpopulated, it is harder to get one on one time with your professors, but they do keep great office hours and provide help after lecture classes. The upper division classes are the best. The class sizes are smaller and you can have a relationship with your professors and other classmates. UF offers a variety of undergraduate and graduate degrees that will get you on your way. Campus life provides lots of extra-curricular options with all kinds of interest. The programming board (RPB) on campus provides excellent events, movies, and festivals for students to enjoy throughout the year. Gainesville is a small town which is centered around the university, in recent months it has been developed to attract people other than university students. Apartments are affordable and the city provides an excellent bus service that is free for students as long as they have their student ID. It provided that traditional college experience while challenging me academically. The university is not without faults, during my freshman year a fraternity threw a blackface party which the university hosted a town hall meeting to gather student input to make sure this doesn't occur again. I believe the university has a long way to go in terms of diversifying its campus, but they are making the necessary steps. Go Gators!

Payton

The University of Florida has given me insight on what I want to do with my life. I enjoy going to the university and working towards my goals. The University of Florida has so many events going on and activities that you become busy. The professors have our best interest in hand. They have so many opportunities to help you. However, I wish there were more opportunities for scholarships. I am already drowning in debt.

Once one hits the adolescent years, all they can dream about is what college life will be like in a few years - and University of Florida is a dream come true. The academics push students to learn and feel accomplished of their academic goals, the sports atmosphere brings the entire UF family together in the swamp, and everyone attending is proud to be a Florida Gator. This is an institution that represents the best that Florida has to offer and continues to produce hard-working and educated role model citizens that have learned the tools and resources to be productive members of society due to the experience at the beautiful University of Florida.

Marisa

I enjoy being a student here at the University of Florida. There are so many clubs and activities to get involved in, you meet new people all the time around campus, and you learn many things from the professors, TA's, and other students. The food options are tolerable, along with the housing, but it;s very easy to find things to your liking in these categories.

Lucy

I worked hard throughout high school to go here and I love myself everyday for those efforts because I am at my dream school everyday. Yes, it is really hard here but for the cost and the academic advantages, I would never complain. I feel like I'm getting a degree comparable to an Ivy.

Gabriela

The University of Florida has given opportunities beyond imagination. I have had an excellent experience thus far at the University of Florida. In regards to professors, I have only encountered about one or two professors who either did not teach or just did not care. However, for the most part, all of my professors have been extremely knowledgeable and passionate about what they are doing. Through UF, I have been able to join the UF Pistol Shooting Team and participate in other organizations such as the American Marketing Association and the Hispanic Communicators Association. I have also been given the extraordinary opportunity to study abroad in Fez, Morocco through UF to continue my Arabic language studies. I know that UF will continue to exceed my expectations on every level.