University of Florida Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for University of Florida

Thomas

Before senior year of high school, I knew I wanted to go to college, but I had no idea where. When I applied to the University of Florida, I didn't know I would be applying the place that I now call home. I love everything about this University, and I couldn't imagine getting an education anywhere else. The campus is beautiful, the students, faculty, and staff are all excellent, and the atmosphere is unlike any other. I would recommend this University to anyone who is looking for challenging coursework, an open and accepting environment, and a great campus life.

Natura

Going to the University of Florida has always been a dream of mind. It seems cliche since I've been dreaming of mine since I was thirteen years old. UF has been amazing to me and I am so glad I have the opportunity to attend this amazing school and what it has to offer.

Justin

At the University of Florida, there are many opportunities provided to student both in and out of the classroom. Although I am an online student, I live right outside of campus, and frequently go to the library and other student facilities when I watch the online lectures. There is a good nature to everyone I've met so far, and UF culture values the good citizenship of its students.

Eddreka

Honestly I’ve been a fan of the gators every since Tim Tebow went to college their and even as he left I couldn’t bring myself to switch teams. I thought I couldn’t love it anymore until I actually visited the school and I fell even more in love with it. It has this vibe where even though it’s big on academics it’s still a very chill atmosphere.

I absolutely love the University of Florida. We are number nine out of the top ten best public universities in the United States. I am currently in the College of Agricultural and Life Sciences which I believe is the best college there is. The professors are personable and actually care about the students. The labs are very interesting and hands on. UF is a great place to be. I am an in a sorority, an ambassador for the college, a couple clubs, and attend all the gator athletics. There is so much energy and passion from all of the students and faculty, you feel so special to be a part of an institution bigger than yourself.

Jesse

It is a very good school that has offered me many amazing opportunities. The Gainesville area, however, tends to be boring and could be less college town-esc. It has some good coffee shops, local performances/arts/etc. but after a couple months there's really nothing to do.

Jayleen

The University of Florida is the best decision I've ever made. There is something for everybody. That is what I love the most. There is a group for anybody and everybody. If you love animals, there's a club for that. If you like anime, there's a club for that. If you like cooking, there's a club for that. If you like sports, we have intramurals. There are religious and minority groups as well for people who want to be with people more like themselves. The Greek Life is amazing and fun. They part-take in many philanthropic and exciting events. They are a big part of campus and very impactful, in a wonderful way. If you are not in greek life you are considered another student. Because that is what we are, peers, friends, and family. Family..especially during football season. That is the most exciting time of year. Gathering together for football, gator growl, and tailgating together is a true bonding experience. Not only do we have great student relations. But I have become close to many of my professors. If you go to the office hours, you will be able to build relations with faculty. Go Gators! It's great, UF.

Jasmine

The University of Florida is ranked in the top 10 of the United States for a reason. It is a prestigious University that only accepts the best of the best. These students are here to learn and not do anything less. The campus is beautiful, and they provide an exceptional education.

Grace

The University Of Florida is an amazing college. Classes may be tough but our school isn’t part of the Top 10 Public schools for nothing. The courses require consistent dedication and vigor, but there are many great ways to blow off some steam and relax. There are beautiful nearby lakes and lawns to take naps on and fun-filled events to take part in usually for free with an ID! The University of Florida’s first priority are it’s students. The board makes sure that everyone feels safe in every situation and constantly makes sure everyone is doing well physically and mentally. The University Of Florida is the place to be. It’s great, UF!

Katherine

UF is amazing and a perfect fit for me. The school strives to give students international opportunities on and off campus. Students have to push to create their own path and involvement which is not for everyone. UF has many major, minor, and certificate options that lets students explore their interests and increases their employability.

Even though Gainesville is a small town, UF is big and there are a lot of things to do. Tailgating is practically a sport on game days. It's always sunny and warm. Some intro class sizes are a bit too big for my liking, but more advanced classes have appropriate numbers of students. Overall, I'm happy here

Ashlee

UF is a great school, I was astounded when I first got to campus and fell in love as I was sure I was going to dread it because it wasn't my number 1 choice. People on campus are generally nice and there's always something going on to get involved in. As with any college experience, that is what's vital: getting involved. I would recommend the University of Florida to all who can attend.

Haiyang

It has beautiful environment overall. The dorm can be improved because it is really small and expensive for me. the teachers and professors are really nice to me. And i have met plenty of friendly people in campus which made my life much easier. The staff are helpful as well.

Ana

University of Florida has a solid reputation of high academic standards. UF also has excellent post graduate programs for higher education. Their expectations are high and they have a high rate of 4 year graduation rate. Excited to be a Gator! Greek life is very important and it encourages socializing and group functions. It is a great way to meet new people and learn about UF campus. UF has a very loyal alumni along with a high selection process for incoming freshman. I do wish that UF would offer more scholarships to their students and assistance with many of the initial fees for sorority/fraternity. Many students are unable to pay the high costs but still wish to be part of Greek life. I am interested in work/study programs on campus to help me pay for the campus bills.

Miranda

I love University of Florida because so many students and faculty truly care. The dorms and dining halls are not luxury but they are sufficient in giving us our basic necessities and everything is clean. The education is amazing and the teachers are very smart and caring. There is a big emphasis on sports and school pride is never lacking. Overall an amazing University especially because it is a public institution and is the home for so many students.

Matthew

It is a large campus; however, it is well organized for maximum convenience. I miss having smaller class sizes. The course curriculum is challenging, but fortunately, the Professors and TAs are readily available to meet with students to receive additional help if needed.

Giovanni

University of Florida is that kind of school that when you visit it for the first time and have that sense of comfort, you know that you have found your home. That was me and I'm very happy that I chose to be a Gator because I can't ask for anything better than that.

Jazmyn

I like Florida, very comfortable. I will be a freshman this coming August and have only seen the campus once so not all my answers may be the same come next year but attending orientation made me look forward to my next four years. The cafeteria was full when I went and there was hardly anywhere to sit so that was a boo, however, the school has restaurants littered everywhere so they make up for the bland things UF serves in the cafeteria. UF is very student based so there are a lot of opportunities I plan to utilize. Such as the study abroad programs and the library; I'm looking forward to going to the library. The school has different sections based on noise level and it's pretty big so I'm hoping they have a good selection. The variety of clubs UF has is pretty epic, I only saw a few but I'm sure there is something for everything. There was an environmental club (my major is ecology so yes please!), a Quidditch club, basically a Walking Dead Club; I'm no Walking Dead fan myself but an opportunity to shoot people with nerf guns? Yes, please! There is a democratic club (but I'm no fan of politics), and a debate club that actually competes and etc. A super cool organization the school has that people will probably hate me for being interested in is an enforcement type community. Aside from being able to become an officer trainee, there is a system the school uses that kids can be apart of to get hours. The way the system was described to me I see it as a jury type assembly. Students can listen to the cases of other students that have broken rules (such as underage drinking and underage clubbing) and can be apart of their judgment team (as I call it because I can't recall the actual name) depending on certain actions the student took and events that took place. I noticed that UF is fair and is intent on treating as adults. If a student is involved with something they should not be involved in there are consequences, however, if a student reports the problem themselves there is a chance for them to get leeway on consequences. Unsimilarly, if a student is trying to have sex or etc and they get tested for aids and come out positive, the school will not report to the student's parents what happened. UF believes students are adults and do not feel the need to tell parents anything. The students are also very energetic. My orientation was over 12 hours long and I woke up around 7 to be on time, I'm sure the staffers (student aids) who were volunteering had to be up even earlier and the entire time they were pumping us freshman up and never lost their pep. It was absolutely insane to see, especially for me whose spirit animal is most likely a cat. The students had over 12 hours of cheer in store for us. All in all, UF seems pretty cool, I'm looking forward to the next adventure.

angelica

Personally, I love the University of Florida. It has been the best experience of my life thus far. I would not trade schools. The memories and friendships I have made here will last me a life time, I am confident in that. I will be going into my third year here.

dont take my rankings wrong i love this school in every way possible and would not want to be anywhere else. The only low ratings come because it is a college town with not much life besides the school nearby so everything isn't super posh; but there is 100% a beauty to middle of nowhere college towns. I do wish we had more shopping though and little boutiques; theres no reason we shouldn't have that.

Sean

The University of Florida is a fantastic institution to pursue a higher education. All of the students are intelligent and have a burning desire to improve themselves and the world around them. The campus is beautiful (albeit always under construction), and the classes are fantastic in all regards.

Margaret

Overall, I am enjoying my time at the University of Florida. All of my professors are easily accessible outside of the classroom, and everyone in the department is extremely friendly and will go the extra mile to know you. It's never quiet on campus, so you can always find something to do.

Isabella

The University of Florida offers many opportunities for students. There is a wide variety of programs, majors, internships, sports, clubs, and other extracurriculars to get involved. It is a large school so there are always things going on, but that also means that the class sizes can be overwhelming.

Alana

The University of Florida is definitely a big state school. Prospective students should expect a lot of large lecture hall courses and occasionally online courses because there are too many students to fit into a lecture hall. If you choose to become very involved, there are many ways to do it whether it be through greek life or professional organizations. On campus, there are great libraries for studying. Right after I graduated undergrad they opened a new study space that is beautiful and very central to campus. Overall, I kind of wanted to just get out of school. Not everyone has that opinion though. To me, I just wanted my degree. I am not into the whole sports culture, and Gainesville to me was an incredibly boring. small town. As for the school, I was often misguided by my advisors and missed out on academic opportunities because of misguidance.

Haley

The University of Florida has a curriculum that I really enjoy. It has pushed me to get out of my comfort zone and explore new opportunities and different ways of thinking. There is a great sense of comradery among all the students here and I really enjoy that, as it was different for me in high school.

Alexander

The University of Florida is an experience I will never forget. I have met several loving people and have made unforgettable memories. With such a loving community I don't see why students wouldn't want the University of Florida to be the number one college to attend.

Krista

I love it so much and have wanted to be a Gator since I was about 10. Now that I'm here, I'm so appreciative of this opportunity. I've been here for about a year now, and it's helped me grow in ways I couldn't have if I had stayed at home for my first year of college. I love the University as a whole, and the feel of it is so inviting. The students here are really education-oriented, so it really helps learning with them and sharing study tips. I don't know where I would be if I hadn't chosen to be a Gator.

Lith

UF not only has a great academic environment, but it also has a myriad of opportunities to learn outside the classroom. As a premed student, I have used many of UF's resources such as the many labs, hospitals, and volunteering opportunities that have greatly improved my college experience at UF.

Nathalie

The University of Florida is a wonderful academic school. The classes are informative and they are many opportunities to for tutoring. The school has a lot of opportunities however, that can be a disadvantage since you could miss out on a lot of events since they are not promoted as well as they could be.

Going to clubs and activities makes University of Florida feel like a home. I get to make several friends, and even though it's a large campus, I frequently see people I know from classes and clubs. I really love how much the professors care about my education. I feel like I can go to their office hours or schedule a separate appointment with them to go over anything I'm struggling with.

Vivian

University of Florida is a great school that a lot of students strive to be accepted into. The school itself is growing and moving up in its ranking as well. The campus is extremely well groomed, spacious, and inviting. This university is located in a populated area with a plethora of things to do! Go Bulls

Mykaela

Overall, my experience at the University of Florida has been five stars. While you can be by yourself and live independently there is also other options to get involved. The campus is big but amazing and always filled with different tablers or organizations handing out flyers. At the University of Florida you can be the "you" you've always wanted to be.

Daniel

The University of Florida is a great school that has a few flaws. Every university today is an echo chamber for one-sided political beliefs where one side is usually not permitted to have as large of a presence as the other. Most professors have the same political opinions too, which doesn't help. UF is no stranger to this, but that is about the only downside to the great university.

Lucia

I like UF. I really wish it wasn't such a college town though, that gets annoying and boring at times. The academics are good, especially within the sciences. The school definitely needs more parking and places to study...it's overcrowded at times. Greek life is pretty big here and if you're not into that, that also gets extremely annoying.

Christian

The University of Florida is one of the most academically rigorous schools and if you go here you will be well prepared to succeed in the real world. The social life here is also great. You can have fun with friends on any day of the week and the sports games are an absolute blast. My only complaint is I feel like the University tries to nickel and dime it’s students too much. It feels like sometimes they put making money above the students health and happiness. There’s no parking and they overcharge for dining halls and on campus living. Other than that, it has been one of the best experiences and decisions of my life.

V

iT'S SPOOKY MAN IT'S REALLY SPOOKY MAN I MEAN ONE TIME I WAS AT A BURGER KING EVEN THOUGH THEY DONT HAVE A BURGER KING AND I SAW A SKUNK IN A BOOTH EATING A CHEESE BURGER AND IT TURNS OUT IT WAS MY CHEESE BURGER AND THEN SOME DUDE OFFERED ME WEED AND IM A GOOD CHRISTIAN SO I SAID NO BUT THEN THE SKUNK WAS GONE WITH MY CHEESE BURGER MAN IT REALLY SCARY ALRIGHT BUT THEN I WOKE UP WITH A OUCHIE IN MY HEAD AND THERE WAS A PIG IN MY BED NOT A LITERAL PIG JUST A FAT MAN HE JUST WANTED TO FIX THE SINK BUT SAID HE WAS HOMELESS SO I LET ME STAY BUT THERE WAS ONLY ONE BED AND THIS ALL HAPPENED ON CAMPUS AND THEN MY FRIEND CAME OVER AND ASKED WHY THERE WAS A PIG SO IT ACTUALLY WAS A LITERAL PIG OOPSIES MY BAD THOUGHT IT WAS A MAN BUT IN MY DEFENSE IT WAS A REALLY BIG PIG BUT THAT DOES EXPLAIN WHY HE WAS EATING MY FOOT THEN

Parker

I think this is the best University IN THE WORLD! There are so many avenues that UF can lead you to. Whether you are an art major, a science major, or even undecided, you are bound to find your passion at the University of Florida and grow into an even greater individual than when you first entered campus. The possibilities at UF are absolutely endless!

Kaitlyn

I really love it here. Being from a small town, it was a huge adjustment. There is always something to do on campus and lots of friendly people. Living on or near campus is a must for the social aspect of college life. There are also a bunch of helpful resources to aid you if you are struggling to adjust.

Maia

The first year. It's when experiences are made and then it all seems to go in fast forward. Well it's my first year and I'm from the big city of Miami so the changes are very extreme. Where I was always on my guard and friendships didn't come easy, here people are very nice and it's terrifying when it first happens. It's a place that requires getting used to but it's a friendly place with lot's of resources to help you through it. I live off campus and transportation is easy to come by, the bus system is efficient and I can say I feel safe with all the emergency buttons everywhere. In all I love this place and I can feel gator pride even if I've only been a part of it for a small while.

The University of Florida is a very STEM, Greek, and sports driven school. If you don't fit into one of those categories, it's hard to get funded as an organization or have a well-funded major. Funds often seem to be disproportionately allocated to some organizations, majors, or unnecessary projects over other vital ones. The parking situation on campus is also horrible and keeps getting worse. Overall, UF is a good value for your money and the alumni network is extensive.

Jackie

Overall an incredible community and culture. School has a huge football scene and is leading in STEM academics, being one of the best engineering schools in the southeast region. The arts are a bit lacking, but they do very much exist. One of my favorite parts of the school is the very inclusive culture where you can find a family of friends anywhere in such a large school. I'm proud to be part of the "Ivy of the South" and a Gator.

Dimple

I transferred from an elite university to UF. I absolutely HATED it. I'm not sure why other reviews say "anti-social, close-minded" people shouldn't go here, as I'm neither. However, during my time here, I found that so many students cheated. Professors have to teach HUGE classes. Drinking, drugs, sports, sex, etc. culture is so rampant that there's little room for anything else. The people are the worst - whether the douchebag eastern European chemistry TA who favors the sorority girls or the students themselves who rank your physical appearance and your wealth. The students, teachers, and general population are not worth socializing with. There are SO many cliques that are close-minded and stand-offish. The town itself is horrible, kitschy, ugly, and boring. You will have NOTHING to do on the weekends if you're not into sports or drinkings. Stay FAR FAR away from here.

Daniel

The University of Florida is a great school. Its academics is a high priority and everyone is looking to do the best that they can at school. There are numerous resources that exist to ensure everyone is able to do their best. Sports is a large priority as well, since Florida is in the most dominanat conference in college sports. There are always events to watch, and Florida is usually ranked in the top -25 of any sport they play. Finally, extracurriculars exist and are everpresent. From gym life to political rallies, people can find whatever they want and partake in it. Florida is an amazing school.

Abigail

I have never encountered a place with such a sense of community. As a gator, it means a lot to see another Gator. School wide, each student is focused on academics primarily, however, the importance of being balanced is also emphasized. Having fun and remaining involved throughout the college year sis so crucial and so important. Many people I know participate in multiple organizations and act as group leaders while maintaining academics and enjoying themselves. Becoming a Gator was the best decision of my life and I never felt more supported by a group of people outside of my family. The Gator pride truly runs deep and its great to be a Florida Gator.

christelle

The university is Marvelous because of the welcoming atmosphere of people who love you and Appreciate the visit. This University was the first choice I made because I was looking through the Internet and my aunt give me a call she is currently at tending that same university and she said it is a wonderful place to come to learn to impress the culture of the people the learning style is just mind blowing

Melanie

The school is beautiful and has such a high ranking. I take so much pride in attending the school, but there are usually lots of ethical issues regarding race and unwanted speakers coming to the school. Housing on campus is not the best, but I feel as if that's something that every student should experience at least once in their life. The sporting events are awesome and there is always so much school spirit. I love the university!

Sean

The University of Florida offers students opportunities that most people in the world can only dream of. There are countless possibilities available to students to get involved on and off campus. There are international opportunities like study abroad, and domestic opportunities like internships with top companies and even fortune 500 companies. If you need a job, you can almost always find one through the dining services, and if not, there are many local businesses that surround the swamp which will be happy to hire any qualified individuals. Students are actively encouraged to be who they are and to do what they want to do no matter what their interests are. The university offers some of the world’s top ranked programs in numerous areas of study. The professors are reasonable and fair for the most part. You’re housing situation depends on how active you are in finding a place to live, there are great deals all around the university, but they do fill up rather quickly when it comes down to crunch time. Eating options on campus are spectacular, there are three Chik Fil A’s, a KFC, two Starbucks (that I know of), Subway, Wing Zone, Panda Express, and that’s just listing a few off the top of my head not even including off campus dining options. There is always something going on in Midtown but even if that gets boring you can go downtown where there is even an arcade bar! There is never a dull moment in at the University of Florida, it’s great to be a Florida Gator.

Brianna

I think the University of Florida is an exceptional school. Maybe it's me being easily pleased, but there's an incredible abundance of things to like about the college and also a great number of things to critique. No one is perfect and there's always room for improvement. Architecturally, the buildings are a mix of that classic collegiate aesthetic-- hard brick and moss crawling up the sides of choice buildings-- with modernity, like tall, multifunctional study areas paved with glass and lighter materials. Although some don't like the really hard and heavy bricks, it makes everything incredibly sturdy which is a necessity in hurricane-ridden Florida. Drainage systems are really good too so when the storms come rolling in, rain boots and a good umbrella will help you stomp through more flooded zones but high sidewalks and multiple paths make things a whole lot easier. University of Florida is also really big on consciousness efforts. Campus- and the surrounding area- is riddled with wildlife and nature. This makes for a pleasing overall aesthetic but TONS of needed shade from these massive trees when the sun is beating down. And it makes for nice outdoor areas to study! Looks aside, things are spaced out on campus. It might take a while to walk to where you want to get to, but you'll encounter restaurants, bathrooms, stops and other resources along the way. Unless you are, of course, going to the Lakes. That's a little different. There are amazing activities on campus! So many events, clubs, and organizations that it's honestly really hard for someone to keep track of them all. The arts college, although a little bit underfunded, makes the most of what it's got and there's a club dedicated for basically every major. This really helps out when you want to network or just have someone to help out when you're beginning classes. The downsides are pretty obvious. You're in North Florida, largely surrounded by woodlands. If you don't like all that nature, it's not a great scene. Gainesville itself is more town than city; the area around UF, like Butler Plaza, Archer Road, Midtown and Downtown are city-like but nothing compared to the more urban locations. Midtown and Downtown are great for bar-hopping, restaurateurs or hip kids who want to record shop, see movies, or have a really cool place to sit and study. But it can get old quickly-- it's up to you as a person to keep your experiences fresh! The events that happen around town help with that; there's always a band, a quiz night, a gallery show, a new museum exhibition, a new party to go to. Some dorms are new and amazing. Most dorms are old and... incredibly intriguing. The Murphree area is the oldest area on campus and has some of the best dorms and some of the most questionable dorm-choices. It's also really important you know where things are in location to your dorm because some housing options are INCREDIBLY far from where your classes could or could not be. Doing research, mapping out the massive property that is UF, and planning really helps when tackling this college. But the experiences are amazing, the staff is a mix of characters good AND bad but always helpful, and it's honestly really pretty here. When the stress of school starts to gut you, taking a breath and going for a walk to the library can even be a super relaxing and rewarding experience. There are so many resources on campus to help with the needs students have that it's almost daunting how ready they are to help. Does everything go perfectly? No! But the college tries its best and for that, it can't exactly be faulted in my opinion.

Maggie

I was won over by the beautiful campus and the high ranking of the programs. The athletics are a fun part of the atmosphere, even if you aren't that into sports. This is a big school, though, so to really get the most of of it, you need to put in the effort to meet and talk with your professors, get involved in extracurricular activities, and pursue things like internships early.

I believe that there is a priority on the academic side of the schooling and as well on the research side. Florida is a school with a main focus in the health industry having ties to hospitals all over the state of Florida along with two hospitals on campus and numerous around the campus. If you want to go medical, go to UF.