University of Georgia Top Questions

Alex

So many different types blended together.

Abigail

My classmates come from all different walks of life. Most of them are from the state of Georgia, but I have met plenty from all over the country. They all genuinely care about their education and take school seriously. Most kids came into UGA with credit hours already completed in high school. They are open to new experiences and love to share interest in each others' cultural differences. It's hard not to make a friend, because on such a big campus with so many people, you're bound to find a niche that fits you specifically.

sammi

My classmates are driven, educated, motivated, ready to learn, and unique; each student at UGA has their own story, their own struggles and their own strengths.

Sydney

My classmates are there to learn.

Leeanna

My classmates are a very diverse group even though, at first glance, it may seem like they are all your typical Greek (fraternity or sorority) students.

John

Majority Caucasian, middle-class student body with a distinct minority subgroup in one of the following categories: Greek life affiliates, non-Greek life affiliates, sleep-eat-school only, hipsters, community college kids, and student athletes.

Dejana

My classmates are educated and very driven to succeed at whatever subject they happen to be passionate about.

Victoria

Friendly but reserved.

Wes

My classmates through all of my time at college have been extremely helpful in letting me borrow their notes, being a good study partner, and being respectful of me and what I believe and what I stand for.

Lana

There are many good looking people.

Ava

My classmates are som eof the most driven adn talented students I have ever met and they make me strive to do better.

Demarcreus

Most of my classmates are sensible, hard working people who prioritize their school work over partying and havng fun.

Daniel

My classmates are typically hard-working individuals who put great effort towards high GPAs.

Taylor

My classmates have proven their exceptional capabilities by their acceptance to a major university and they are an incredibly driven group of people who have the work ethic, intelligence, and the ability to succeed anywhere they may choose to go beyond the University of Georgia.

My classmates are exceptionally friendly and fun loving, but also very intelligent.

I love my classmates. Everyone comes from a diverse background, yet we all find a way to get along. Students learn just as much from their classmates as from their teacher. We get hands on experience to different cultures and backgrounds from all over the world.

Helen

Diverse, Attractive

Kyandra

My classmates are the coolest, most intelligent, quirkiest future industry leaders.

Benjamin

The students at my school are very diverse. I had friends that were roommates. One was a jewish guy. One was a nerdy Indian. One was a white jock. The last was a black frat guy. I don't think anyone would feel out of place at school. My school is much less cliquish than other schools.

My

There's an array of cultures at the University of Georgia. We have religious students, poor students, rich students, big students, tall students, short students, small students. and even students from the LGBT community. Whatever kind of person you can think of, you'd most likely find at UGA. Most students wear the school colors. We also wear free t-shirts we get because well...who doesn't like free stuff? I wouldn't say UGA is extremely "cliquey" but there are distinct groups of people that like to hang out with each other like the athletes and the greeks. I wouldn't say a lot of students discriminate. Usually people are open to meeting you...especially freshman.

There are so many students at UGA that you can literally find what you are looking for. There are churches and religious groups for pretty much every religion. It is a diverse campus in every sense of the word. There are so many things to participate in where you find people that have similar personalities to you. Students usually wear casual clothes to class, but that is similar to pretty much all colleges. Students are focused on the present, worrying about grades and life right now, they are not so much focused on their past or future earnings. I've found most students are so easy to get along with here.

Joo-Sub

There are so many different types of people at UGA that it is difficult to not fit in with a certain group.

Chiara

The diversity at UGA is thought to be fairly poor percentage wise, but we do have a wide range of students here, the state of Georgia being a conservative state, and Athens being a fairly liberal town relatively. The minority groups however, do have very large, very active communities within UGA. Fore example the LGBT put on events regularly, complete with a drag show at the end of the year; the black community here is very tight-knit, and the black fraternities host popular parties and events. As for religious groups, they are extremely prominent here and even go on mission trips during spring break. Because of the buffet of different interests, I do not think that there is a student that would really feel out of place here, unless they are really do not like the South. There are also political organizations from both sides, but I would say the most prominent is the Republican view. The clothes that students wear to class are usually very casual, consisting of nike shorts and a t-shirt in the summer, and leggings and longer shirts in the winter. Due to the Georgia Hope Scholarship, and the other students paying out of state tuition, the financial backgrounds for the students are range greatly, although most of the students are from Georgia.

Morgan

My classmates are my family and my closest friends who will always be there when I need them.

Gina

There's really no way to feel out of place at UGA. The number of organizations on campus is staggering. We've got almost every religious, racial, political and philanthropic group that you can imagine. You will see many of them passing out pamphlets or hosting bake sales in Tate Plaza, and there is often someone protesting outside of our famous entrance arches. If you can't find what you're looking for, you're encouraged to take the initiative and start it yourself. There are so many different personalities present at UGA. Some students like to look good for class. Others roll out of bed and into their lectures. Walking around campus, you will see a variety of ethnicities and even hear a variety of languages. Many of the students I've met have been from the Marietta area, but we definitely have our fair share from out of state. I myself am from Michigan. Thanks to the HOPE Scholarship, which has enabled many people to pursue higher education who wouldn't have been otherwise able to, students can also come from very different socio-economic backgrounds.

Wendell

That's actually a difficult question. There is no way to describe the students at my school. Everyone is their own individual. I can't stress that enough-be your own individual. What makes you unique, makes you different than everyone else. Everyone has their own walks of life in school. One person might be dedicated to the Redcoat Band (UGA's Marching Band) or another might be dedicated to Di Gamma Kappa (Broadcasting Society). It all depends on what you want to do and who you want to be. That's what makes it worth it. :)

Gina

There's really no way to feel out of place at UGA. The number of organizations on campus is staggering. We've got almost every religious, racial, political and philanthropic group that you can imagine. You will see many of them passing out pamphlets or hosting bake sales in Tate Plaze, and there is often someone protesting outside of our famous entrance arches. If you can't find what you're looking for, you're encouraged to take the initiative and start it yourself. There are so many different personalities present at UGA. Some students like to look good for class. Others roll out of bed and into their lectures. Walking around campus, you will see a variety of ethnicities and even hear a variety of languages. Many of the students I've met have been from the Marietta area, but we definitely have our fair share from out of state. I myself am from Michigan. Thanks to the HOPE Scholarship, which has enabled many to pursue higher education that wouldn't have been otherwise able to, students can also come from very different socio-economic backgrounds.

Gina

Chasity

UGA is an extremely diverse school in terms of its various organizations and clubs. Since I work at the Office of Institutional Diversity, I personally strive to make diversity known at UGA. It seems at first that most students at UGA are Greek, but that is not the case. It is just easier to identify them because they all tend to dress the same: leggings, boots, and sorority t-shirt. Since UGA is in the south, a majority of the school, I would say, is more right wing. But there are still people of all ideologies at UGA. Brands still do matter in college, but not as much as in high school, unless you are apart of Greek. Greek life seems to be more superficial and stresses economic status. But again, not all of UGA is Greek. I would say that no type of student would feel out of place at UGA. There is every type of person here. It is not hard to make friends through activities, classes, and organizations.

Chasity

Skye

The majority of UGA students are from Georgia. They are predominately white and Christian but there are other groups on campus. I'm Jewish and have found a number of other Jews here through Hillel, the Jewish club. There are clubs for all different religions/races/types of people (The Vietnamese club, Wesley Foundation, LGBT alliance, African American journalists... the list goes on and on.) Students aren't particularly politically active/aware but there are clubs for left and right thinkers. Every student will be able to find someone who is similar to them no matter what culture, sexual orientation, or socio-econic class they come from. There are over 30,000 students after all! For the first week of school, the dining halls were the best places to meet people. Oftentimes, I met students who are now my good friends just by asking if I could sit with them for a meal. Unfortunately, I did notice that a lot of different groups of students didn't really interact with each other that much. On average, most students don't really dress up for class. The freshmen especially wear a lot of sorority/fraternity related clothing. Girls often wear leggings and big shirts. Boys wear polos and a lot of plaid shirts.

Taylor

The great thing about UGA is the diversity. There are so many different students from all over the country, of every race, ethnicity, religion, gender etc. At first I thought I would never find someone who was from out of state, but it seemed like every year I found more and more people who were from across the country and a majority from the north like me! There are so many different clubs, groups, and activities its almost impossible not to meet someone new and completely different from you. And don't feel shy to say hi, everyone is in the same boat so chatting it up with someone on the bus or in the hallways isn't weird. It does seem like greek life rules the campus but believe me you don't have to be in a sorority or fraternity to have fun and meet people. During school hours a normal uniform is anything comfy mostly nike running shorts and over sized sweatshirts and khaki's with a polo for guys. You will never feel out of place on campus at UGA.

Christine

The title lists the three primary types of people in UGA. Keep in mind--there are a lot of students so there are definitely a good number of people who are not in the above three categories.

There is a little bit of everything at this college, BUT it is primarily White Indian and Chinese. Most students were leggings and long shirts to class and boots at least for the girls and guys kind of wear what ever. No one judges if you were sweat pants to class either... Its college :). Students are primarily from Georgia but we do have people all over world coming here. Students are politically active and its primarily democratic and as I said its a college most people are. But i'm an on the fence> its the best way to go. Dining hall is a mix but there are the weirdos (goths, punks, bizarre), the jocks ( athletic teams at UGA),the Frats and Sorosts, and just the regular kids :). But the great thing is that you can be friends with any and all of these groups if you want. I'm a floater and I'm friends with all of these people Students do not talk about money and most are pretty well off that go here do to the hope scholarship and tough economic time making the rich keeping there kids in state.

Erin

I think everyone would find their place at UGA due to an enormous amount of clubs and groups. Most people wear shorts and a t-shirt to class--very casual. There are many religious groups on campus that hold bible studies. Since the school is big there is just about every stereotype of student.

Loreal

They all mostly just care about their grades, not really about the material we're learning.

Stephen

UGA isn't the most racially diverse school, but we do have a large variety of students who all differ in their individual beliefs. It is hard not to find people to get along with here, there are so many different personalities on campus!

My classmates are interested, engaged, and involved.

Courtney

My classmates are hardworking, dedicated, and very well prepared for the college scene.

Kenny

Most all classmates are diligently focused on their schoolwork but aren't extremely competitive and are willing to help other classmates.

Kayli

Everyone is very freindly and eager to explore new aspects of life; there is always someone new to meet and always something new to do.

India

My classmates actually partake in class discussions and they are very intelligent and motivated and I truly enjoy going to class just to listen to all the diverse viewpoints.

Jung

They are very diligent and knows how to manage their schedules.

Jay

My classmates at UGA are interesting and diverse people who seem to balance focus on their schoolwork with enjoying free time outside of class.

Jordan

Very diverse, in my opionion. UGA is a liberal arts school, so on any given day, you will meet students with many different backgrounds, hometowns, majors, and interests.

My classmates are widely diverse ethnically, very involved in Greek life or some sort of organization, and conforming in every way to the norm of those around them.

Shelby

My classmates are hard working and very determined individuals. They each strive to achieve the best work they can perform.

Tammy

The University of Georgia is an excellent program for prospective music education students. The coursework is demanding, but it certainly prepares the student for the career ahead.

My classmates are very diverse. Most of them stay very involved and have a lot of school spirit.

Emma

The students at the University of Georgia have a "work hard, play hard attitude;" everyone is extremely motivated to succeed but they also do not shy away from a Saturday football game in Sanford Stadium.