University of Georgia Top Questions

Cindy

You may bond a little too much with your roommates, so all you guys do is hold study parties and go out on camous.

One of the worst things about UGA is that many professors do not accommodate non-traditional students. For older parents such as myself, the strict rules against missing classes is unreasonable. There are/can be many ways to get around missing classes--such as sharing notes with students, watching teacher videos, etc. However, many profs cannot get with the times and allow for leeway on missing classes especially for older students who are juggling way more responsibility than lecture times.

I wish someone would tell me how tempting it would be to skip classes just to play with puppies all day long. This campus is loaded with puppies of different sizes and ages and breeds. Not that I'm complaining though.

Alma

There is a major misconception that UGA isn't diverse. UGA is filled with domestic students from all over the world including a vast array of international students. There are organizations on campus to promote different cultures that host different events to showcase them. There is a language partner program where a domestic and international student are paired to assist in English learning and to engage in culture sharing. It is unfortunate that people don't see that. It is more unfortunate that students, too, feel this. Culture seems to have to be sought out sometimes.

The science department needs stronger professors and the freshmen dorms need to be completely re-done.

Courteney

I don't particularly care for the downtown bar scene that seems to be a common pasttime for many students. I think it can give our town and school a bad reputation. People only see the big time partiers, but the school and campus are so much more than that.

The worst thing about my school would have to be the Financial Aid Office availability.

Bailey

Getting into football games this season has been atrocious.... I get there 2 hours before the game starts and by the time I'm in the stadium, there is five minutes until kick off. Everyone I've talked to that is older than me says that it never took this long to get into games in previous years, so why this year? What are they doing differently? And please stop telling everyone they sold too many tickets because it only results in chaos.

It's too big and it's hard to find a place to fit in.

Lavette

It is known as a party school with drinkers.

Parking services aren't very good, but other than that there is little wrong with this school!

It's a very liberal school, so you'd think they would be open-minded toward other opinions and religions. But I felt like I was the only one who held my conservative views. And I even had professors who graded me because my opinions did not match theirs.

The campus and town can easily be overrun during football season. It can be frustrating to attempt studying when certain libraries are not open during their typical hours due to a home football game. Similarly, coffee shops, restaurants, and bars are swamped so finding a quiet place to study during a home game can be a bit of a nightmare.

Leeanna

I would say the worst thing about my school is the importance put on Greek life. New Greek houses are always being erected and Greek events are always prominently advertised. It makes someone who isn't involved in the Greek system feel like a minority and like they're being left out of the social aspect of university.

Audrey

I would have to say the amount of partying that goes on off and on campus would be the most frustrating part of this school.

The worst thing about my school would have to be the airconditioning of the dorms. Since my dorm is on a central heating and air unit all the rooms are the same temperature no matter how hot or cold it is outside. It always seems to be the polar opposite temperature inside than it is outside and whoever is in charge of the airconditioning controls never can get it right. It is freezing inside during the summer and scolding hot during the winter which is always a pain. I am very thankful this is the only bad thing about UGA.

Lana

The worst thing about my school is that the campus is very big, so you would have to run to classes that are on the other side of the campus or catch a bus, which can be crowded or takes awhile for the bus that you need to come.

Komran

The worst thing about my school is the lack of diversity. I get along with most everyone there and I am not alone, however I would enjoy a bit of time with people of my own culture instead of wandering in a sea of strangers.

Zoe

My university doesn' have any major flaws.

The worst thing is that UGA is located in the nation's third poorest city. Unfortunately, UGA is the biggest employer in the city and sets the minimum wage standards that keep the poor residents poor.

The worst thing about UGA involves the distances between buildings. It takes some careful planning with a full schedule so that a student does not arrive late to class. Sometimes running, biking, or even driving is required to get to class on time.

Jamima

Even though The University of Georgia is known for it excellent education, it has also been formally know as one of the nation's worst party school. I understand that the culture of higher education society has always dealt with alcohol abuse and high incarceration rates. I believe the football culture of the university strengthens this title profoundly, but they could still put more efforts to end such a disrepected reputation.

parking, there are so many students that it's hard to find a parking spot

alie

I honestly can't say anything bad about my school. It really is amazing! I guess I wish it were easier for students to get away game football tickets.

jessica

There are not enough rooms in the dorms due to the high influx of students pursuing an education at UGA. The city has cooperated with the university by establishing more apartments in the surrounding area.

The worst thing about my school is that the students are somewhat divided into their own respective schools of study. Because the greek life is so small compared to the rest of the school, sometimes the greek community is seen as a "bad" group.

Mellisa

The worst thing about The University of Georgia would be their on-campus dorms. A select few are under-kept and have many maintenance problems, such as heating and cooling issues.

Lack of programs dedicated to help students get school paid for.

UGA had a beautiful campus and great school spirit and provided a great learning experience. The hard part is the size, it is huge. Its tough to meet people unless you force yourself to get involved with a club or extracurricular activity. The class sizes of the beginner level courses are enormous which can be difficult. Courses of that size usually have a midterm and final to determine your final grade. Be sure to meet with the professor regularly and make friends within those larger classes.

The worst thing about the University of Georgia is that UGA has a high population of people that grew up in families that make above the average income for normal families. Most are used to having their parents pay for everything they want and when they get into a major school they take this outlook and apply it to real life. These people expect things to be handed to them and because I'm from a low income family, most look down apon me for having to work two jobs to pay for my schooling.

Nachelle

Since i have a science based major, the majority of the beginning classes such as principles of biology and general chemistry were "weeding out" courses. The science professors at my college say they do not make the classes difficult to weed people out but i feel differently. I understand they need to make classes hard because everyone cannot be a doctor but they should come up with another way without hurting students GPA!

To me, the worst thing about The University of Georgia can be described in one word, expensive. Even with the HOPE scholarship and student loans, it is a struggle for me and my family to come up with the money to pay for additional fees, books, and living expenses. This is why I am applying for scholarships now, in hopes to be able to pay for things now without putting financial strain on my parents, and to minimize my debt after college.

GInger

At times, the size of classes can interfere with access to the professors and make it very difficult to know them on a first name basis.

There are not enough financial assistance opportunities for students such as myself. Most scholorships are for atheletes, internation, african american, or latino students.

Large class sizes, because students do not have regular access to their professors.

I often feel like the arts/humanities are not given enough attention while athletics are prioritized.

The worst thing about UGA is figuring out what you want to be apart of. UGA is so big and diverse that there is something for everyone to be part of. There are clubs, activities, sports, jobs, Greek life, and more that all have every subject that you could dream of being involved in. Having so many choices with so many things to do makes it difficult to choose what direction you want go in. It goes the same for classes. It takes me hours to find what classes I want to take because there are so many choices.

The worst thing about the school is the hypocrisy between its purported values and its lack of enforcement of those values. Also, there's a large beauracracy of red tape to go through.

Allyson

I feel that there is not very much to do on a Friday or Saturday night other than go down-town.

Kris

I believe that students need to be more involved with current politics. It is extremely important for our generation to understand previous, ongoing, and future conflicts in the United States so that we can make the best decision when it is our time to lead this country. I wish that my university would start having weekly discussions available for students or even just send out weekly newsletters about our government and country to keep us up to date.

The availability and helpfulness of academic advisors aren't that great. Also, where the money from extra fees and tuition seems to be going is not exaclty what the students need.

Shonda

Right now, the worst thing about my school is trying to get a bachelor's degree as a non-traditional student. I am thirty-three years old and I feel that the undergraduate process is strictly for those students who are fresh out of high school.

The size of the undergraduate classes. It's very difficult to be taught effectively in a 150+ science class. Because I am a Biology major with an emphasis in Pre-Pharmacy I run into this issue all the time. I've been well pleased with the higher level math classes here because the classes are smaller, and it's easy to get special attention from the professor when you need it. I was valedictorian and STAR student of my high school, and I still struggle in my 150+ physics class.

I honestly love my school and would change very few things about it outside of increased on-campus transportation/parking or improved freshmen dorms.

This school charges out of the wa-zoo for research studies and programs that not many students use. I'm paying extra to fund other programs and people that I'll never see/meet/benefit from while at UGA. Every year, it seems like that add another fee onto my bill but don't try to save money in other ways ie, turning the lights of in the stadium at night when no one is there. This school just seems to have some major budgeting issues.

I think the teacher-to-student ratio in undergraduate classes are not very helpful when I need help or have a question and I can not talk to the professor.

Catelyn

Sometimes the workload can be rigorous, but that's probably true for any major university.

Caleb

Class sizes can be gargantuous. In some cases there are over 200 students in one class.

Alcohol use, especially on gamedays, is pretty significant. All parties have alcohol, and there's about 80 bars downtown. A lot of underage students drink, and even if you don't have a fake ID, it's still pretty easy to get liquor. Gamedays can be bad for this as people get rambuncous and leave a mess everywhere after tailgating.