University of Georgia Top Questions

Pre-calculus. Others told me Chemistry and Accounting are also frustrating. Once one joins UGA and take one of these classes, they will understand.

Stacey

The most frustrating thing about UGA is that, since it is such a large school, most classes freshman year have around 300 students. This means you won't get as much one-on-one time with the professors. However, this is not too bad as all professors have office hours.

Sona

The most frustating thing about my school is the lack of diversity there.

Sydney

The most frustrating thing is that most professors don't update the gradebook, so you almost never know how you're doing in a class. I've always motivated myself by looking at my grades, and since I can't see them, I have no idea if I need to put in more work or if I'm doing well in a class. If i were able to see my grades, I would be able to put in extra effort to make sure they're as high as I wanted them to be.

I don't feel like I fit in since I'm not in a sorority.

Joel

It is very hard to focus on my school work all of the time. There are so many things that are so much more interesting to me than school work.

The size of campus. It is beautiful and an ideal place to attend school but it can be overwhelmingly large. Not the student body size but the actual landsize of campus. Having a class on north campus followed by a class on south campus can be difficult. Until you begin your core studies during junior and senior year, classes will be spread out and it can be potentially difficult to reach them on time if you don't have at least a 30 minute break between two.

The size was very daunting and hard not to be intimidated by

Abijeet

The high stress levels.

Komran

Without a doubt the most frustrating thing about the University of Georgia is the amount of money it takes to graduate. Did I work tirelessly in high school to become accepted into this high end institution only to pile more and more debt onto my back? The education society expects me to acheive is already difficult to obtain from an academic standpoint. Why should there be an extra barrier for those who are not well endowed?

The student population is smaller compared to other universities so the socaial aspects are limited to the number of people you can associate with before you "know everyone."

The most frustrating part of attending the University of Georgia is parking. I try to walk as much as possible, but if I have to go downtown or to lacrosse practice and move my car, it can be very frustrating. Parking is especially frustrating on game days. I also find it frustrating that club sports are not given much university support. I play club lacrosse and our facilities are not what they should be. Club lacrosse facilities at other SEC schools have turf fields and receive more university support.

Frida

Attending a university with over 30,000 students is not easy to adjust to. It is very difficult to stand out amonst the high number of students. In order to get extra help from a professor or advisor, the student has to go out of his way while hoping he doesn't have class during his professor's office hours. But going out of your way is very worth your while. It could save your grade and help you understand a subject you're having difficulty with. In the end, the reward ends up being greater.

While the University of Georgia is an absolutely amazing the school, the freshman living conditions can make me a little paranoid at times. I currently live in a freshman high-rise with another female student. The rooms are fairly small and sometimes I tend to feel like I am being squeezed in by the walls around me. We also have community bathrooms, which I have learned to adapt too. My RA is great and the people in my dorm are nice; however, I realize that I am a 1st-year, but sometimes I wish I lived in a better dormitory.

Marina

The most frustrating thing about UGA is tuition. As cliche as it sounds, paying for college isn't easy and UGA is not cheap. I feel like a University this size needs more scholarship opportunities and programs to help students pay their student accounts. I know every college is expensive, but i personally get most frustrated by my growing mound of debt and the few options UGA offers to help me work towards diminishing the mound.

alie

Sometimes the buses can be slow.

Blondine

Thus far the most frustrating thing about UGA has been my financial aid situation. With budget cuts, and increasing institutional fees it is getting harder to pay for college without taking out loans.

At the beginning of each semester and at certain times during the day the buses are extremely crowded. I know going from one side of campus to the other on foot is not that difficult or time consuming, but sometimes it is truly a chore. During class changes you can wait outside of the Tate Center for almost 30 minutes for a bus that is not so crammed packed that no one can get on.

Willie

The most frustrating thing about UGA is navigating the large campus.

It is a large school so the amount of activities and events that take place is overwhelming. It's hard to find a club or organization that you feel like you can make a contribution towards because there are already so many people in them that it seems that they don't really need your help. Finding things to do is hard because there is no single list of things available and most of it can only be found out through word of mouth.

A lot of the students dress and act the same. I love the school itself, but I don't always love my schoolmates.

Occasionally it is frustrating to be packed on a bus with tons of other students, but at the same time you have to realize almost all the students are there for the same reason as you: to learn and prepare for a successful career. However, I do wish UGA did not have the "party school" reputation. There are equally as many students who choose not to drink and party their college career away. UGA has a lot of academic success, but sometimes it is forgotten because of the party repuation.

I honestly can't think of anything!

The most frusterating thing about the University of Georgia is the lack of financial assistance awarded to students with low income, disabled, or out-of-work families. As the economy continues to decline so does the expendible income of thousands of students and families of the student that attend the university. The school presents a financial aid package consisting of federal grants and private scholarship awards won by the student only. A select few make it into the "Foundation Fellows" scholarship program but the rest are left to procure thousands and thousands of dollars in debt in just one year.

The school does not do a very good job of making housing on campus easy for students. The dorms are very overpriced. Also, in regards to the Parkings services. It is not only expensive, but they are very strict about parking. There are many rumors on campus about the school's parking service having obtained thousands of extra dollars because of parking violations this year. To sum up my frustrations, I would say that the school is not as concentrated on the students' progresses in the classroom, but more so, on making money.

I am transferring to UGA in the fall from Georgia Southern University. It is not really frustrating but more nerve racking that UGA has about 30,000 more students than GSU. The campus is also a lot more spread out and the classes are a lot bigger.

sarah

Sometimes it could be difficult to get anwers about program requirements and to get guidance for the future, but if you are determined then you will find an answer and a path.

JOHNATHAN

Having to get up the next morning after traveling on the road from the previous night and having to go to school.

There is definitely a strong Greek presence at the University of Georgia, and they often control the community service organizations. I am a member of Relay for Life, and have noticed that the leaders of the UGA branch are mostly members of the Greek community, and they tend to elect their brothers/sisters over other applicants.

The cost of student fees keeps being raised.

Jisoo

The most frustrating thing about my school is the grading system. Most schools may allow 90-100 as an A or A+ but our school makes it so that 89-90 is a A-. That minus sign on the letter grade makes the difference between getting HOPE scholarship and not getting it. I think the grading system is a bit unfair compared to most schools.

Hard to talk become close to teachers.

I would have to say that the most frustrating thing about UGA is the dorms. The school has been there for a pretty long time, and it is apparent that the dorms have never been rebuilt. Athens, GA is a beautiful, historical city, and I understand why most buildings remain the way that they were built way back when, but the dorms need a little work. As a freshman, you must live on campus, and find that a huge chore. Studying in the dorms is close to impossible.

Basically the only way to socialize at our school is go to parties and drink and that's just not my thing. Hard to make friends if you're not in that scene.

Sydney

The most frustrating this is chemistry. The chemistry department is like no other department at UGA, but the professors are helpful and very informative. There's just a lot of information to learn in a short period of time, so you really have to use your studying time wisely. Another frustrating thing is the transition from high school to college. It's not necessarily because of the academics, but socially, you will feel awkward because you're outside of your "element". Freshman year is a new beginning, but it's also a rude awakening.

it's really big, and if you miss your intendeed bus; you would have to sometimes run nearly half way across the campus to get to your class, the poor qualities of the elveators in some of the dorms (in which case an elevator would constantly break down); and how the college handels certain classes that you would like to take but you can't because of some technicality

I really hate how everyone is so focused on drinking to get drunk and can't seem to have a fun time without alcohol.

The most frustrating thing about attending this school would have to be the advisors and the bus system. Some of the advisors are graduate students who have no idea what they are doing and can really mess up a students schedule. Overall the bus system is really good it's just that sometimes the buses are not on a cohesive schedule and this can cause you to miss the first couple of minutes of your classes, especially on a rainy day.

Finding information or locations can be frustrating with such a big campus. There plenty of resources available at UGA but accessing them can be difficult, both online or in print.

Pharez

Here at UGA, you have to select up to 5 parking areas in which you would like to park. Once selected you are placed on a waiting list. In the mean time ,so you are not at risk of a parking citation you must purchase a parking permit for any avaliable parking spot. The problem is my car is on the other side of campus, it's at least a 20 min commute to my car. Along the way to my car, I see empty space after empty space which makes me wonder is UGA parking funtioning at its highest.

Most frustrating thing about UGA is the decisions made by the administration. Such as adding at first a 100 dollar fee and not a 200 dollar fee each semester that no one knows what it goes to. It is just a burden for students who struggle financially to get their education and have to scrape up an extra 100 or 200 each semester is just hard. Another frustrating part is the cost of parking on campus for the school year.

Mckenzie

Some members of the staff do not know what they are talking about. You have to find the right person to help you or you will be running all over campus trying to find the information you need.

Sandra

The school has a great bus system but sometimes the buses can get really crowded, especially on rainy days.

Stacy

the only frustrating thing about my school is paying for tuition. Everything else is either just fine or is really good. The price of tuition for my school is a considerable amount (no less than $2000 per semester) so i have to work for one half of the year to pay for school , then attend school for the second half. I understand that i am getting a great education from a prestigious school (the University of Georgia), but tuition is quite a hassle to deal with before each semester.

I would have to say the most frustrating thing about UGA is that people still form these close knit groups that really destroy the diversity and interaction programs that my school is trying to establish.

Yenka

One thing that could become annoying about this school is the chance of being overlooked. You must be assertive to do well at this school but you must be assertive to achieve anything you want in life.

Tuition. Grades which are largely contingent on teachers' personal biases.

Katharine

Since our school is very researched based it is sometimes hard to get help from some teachers. Some of the teachers are a little to tough for the courses they teach.

Selene

There is such a big focus on football.

Gwendolynne

The core classes tend to fall at opposite ends of the campus which is also situated on a hilly terrain.