Hilo, HI
University of Hawaii at Hilo

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Hawaii at Hilo

Ciera

There is pretty much nothing to do on campus, so if you do not have a car then you will be very bored. If you have a car here you will be able to go around and see the island and do fun stuff. The food is good but can sometimes get repetitive. People around the campus are very nice and friendly and it is nice that the class sizes are small and that since its a smaller college you will almost always see someone you know when you are out around campus which is cool. Depending on your major there might not be a lot of classes offered for you.

kathryn

It's a great place to go for school, theres so much you can learn from being on the big island. There is tons of major opportunities, I'm currently double majoring in sociology and psychology. I've joined three different clubs and organizations. Being in Hawaii there is so many things you can go do, you just have to be willing to venture off the beaten path a little. It's a beautiful place to go to school and everyone is welcoming.

Kehaulani

Although the school is not a very city like and crowded campus, it has a home-touch to it. Every is friendly and you get along with everyone. The professors help to make this campus a great experience as well. It is in a beautiful state and there is always the outdoors to help you take any breaks you need. Overall, this small university can leave you with some great friends and memories.

Aolani

The University of Hawaii at Hilo has an amazing scenic campus. The koki frogs at night are amazing. One thing I admire about the college is that, the classes are small enough where the professors are able to work with you and discuss your grades etc. If you fail and flunk out of this college then I don't know what you're doing wrong. This school is very easy to pass. A few dislikes, the teaching of some lecture professors, the lack of school spirit and financial aid always gives me problems.

Leiola

If I could go back in time, I would tell myself to not be afraid to take a leap of faith. Don't limit yourself to what you already know, but go out and explore the things you always wondered about. Realize your passions early and go out and fulfil them as soon as you can. Don't worry about what everyone else is doing better than you, just do your best and have fun doing it. Don't restrict yourself from reaching your fullest potential for the benefit of someone else. Make sure that everything you are doing makes you happy. If you hate your job, find a new one. If you hate your classes, take a different one. Don't waste your time being miserable by doing something to make someone else happy. This is your life! Make friends, make enemies, but whatever you decide to do, make sure you're satisfied in doing it. Take advantage of every opportunity you are given, trust your instincts, and make sure you know that you are responsible for every decision you make. "You're young and you're healthy, so the world is your oyster"

In my honest opinion, UH Hilo is an institution for anyone. The campus is very welcoming and everyone is very helpful and care a lot about their students. It offers a lot of unique programs that you may not always find at similar institues, even including other University of Hawaii campuses. If you are interested in any kind of agricultural courses or even Native Hawaiian cultural practices, UH Hilo has so much to offer. It's a great school with many great resources to foster learning for everyone.

I would say that the most frustrating thing about my school is that it is somewhat old, and many of the helpful resource centers are hard to find due to relocation or renovation. Being that this Fall 2014 was actually my first semester at UH Hilo- but 4th semester of college (I took Spring 2014 off), I really didn't know where anything was until I started school.

Kaiulani

I would tell myself to get out of the “senioritis” or lazy phase because college does not pay for itself. I would encourage myself to complete all scholarships that I am eligible for because every little bit helps. I also would recommend staying in shape throughout college and to watch what I eat because “freshmen 15” is real. I would also stress the importance of time management. Making plans for my day would help to use my time wisely.

Personally I feel the best thing about my school is the location. The weather is almost always perfect. No freezing cold snow or no harsh heat. This wonderful weather let's students enjoy the beauty of the island.

Most students that attend University of Hawaii at Hilo are adventurous yet easy going. Since this college is in Hawaii there are so many opportunities for students not from Hawaii to get caught up in the beauty of Hawaii that it could be a disctraction from their studies. On the other hand it could also be a great motivator for students to work hard to stay at this University. It it ultimately up to that individual. Overall this University is very friendly and welcoming to all. It is a cultural melting pot.

Constance

The advice that I would give to myself is to apply for as many scholarships as possible with the G.P.A that I had at the time in high school. Now that I am older and have a family it is hard to pay for tuition but I continue to thrive to reach my goals of being a nurse. I was recently accepted into a nursing program and now I have to worry about family, finances and school all at the same time. If I knew then what I know now I would have finished college immediately after high school. Regardless of my circumstances, I am still truly blessed to have gotten accepted and I encourage anyone regardless of age with a goal of completing college to NEVER GIVE UP!

Amy

If I could go back in time and speak to my high school senior self with what I know now, I would have told myself that I should've focused in math and gone in for more help. I should've also tried ignoring my dad whenever he asked my to cover for him at work. I should've spent more time with school and joined more clubs. School really does matter. I should've applied to another university on another island or a different state. But this school isn't so bad. Just apply for the exchange programs earlier. It's worth it over here at UH Hilo.

I wish I had known that it's not that bad, but it definitely wasn't the school for me. I should've gone elsewhere.

The kind of person that should attend this school is someone who's looking for a quiet place that offers a decent education. It's good for someone who doesn't care for partying or frats or sororeties. It's inexpensive for residents, and okay for out-of-state. People here are very nice and very diverse. The professors here that teach social sciences and humanities are generally very good and expose you to different ideas about the world.

Tiffanie

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school student, I would tell myself to really think about what you want to be in the future. After high school, I spent many semesters switching majors and that lead me to stay in school for even longer than I anticipated and also spent a large amount of money. I would tell myself that if you're unsure about what you want to be, just take liberal courses that will eventually benefit towards a degree. Back then I was undecisive and I wasn't sure if I wanted to become a nurse or a physical therapist. My mind now is set on being a nurse and hopefully I can achieve that goal.

UH Hilo is a calm campus where everyone is friendly. They have many wonderful programs for your degree such as pharmacy, hawaiian language, nursing, etc.

julie

I would say my classmates have great, intellegent minds who are willing to express their opinions with others.

I would say the most frustrating thing about my school is the parking. Our school does have a lot of available parking, but it is quickly taken by the numerous drivers who come to school. I have experienced driving around in an assigned parking lot waiting for somebody to leave so I can take that parking stall. We can't park in any other parking zones because we would get fined. The other parking zones where I'm allowed to park at is too far from my classes.

University of Hawaii at Hilo administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.