Hilo, HI
University of Hawaii at Hilo

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Hawaii at Hilo

Alexandra

Dear Alexandra, I wish that you would of realized before how important education was. Especially trying your best to make mom proud. Mom has always struggled as a single mother and tried to do everything she could for us to have a better life then her. From now on you will try your best and accomplish anything and everything you dream of. Being the only one that has graduated from highschool and college you should be very proud of yourself. Love, Future You

Shawna

I'd describe my fellow classmates as smart and knowing what they want to go after in life.

College is expensive. Now is a good time to jump on any scholarship and grants you can possibly get. I wouldn't recommend taking out loans unless it’s absolutely necessary. Most students take out loans and then graduate with a huge debt. They have a difficult time paying off these loans because there are not many jobs available. I wouldn’t want to be in debt before I have the money to pay it off. I would also recommend having a good support system to get you through college, like friends who have been there and can give you the best advice based on their experiences. Frequently check bulletin boards to find campus clubs, or start your own club, get involved in your student government, utilize student resources, and activities. Extracurricular activities are the best way to meet like-minded people. But don't forget to leave yourself time to do homework. Remember to try and not take on too much at once. People have told me that it’s very difficult to go to school and work part time as well. Also remember to take fun classes and enjoy yourself while you're there. College can be fun.

I think the kind of person who should attend this school should want to be there.

karl

Before I came to this school, I wish I had known about the tutoring programs that were offered because the tutors provide a great deal of information. Getting help from tutors has increased my GPA from 3.6 to 3.8 my first year. The tutors are students who have previously took the specific class and attained a grade of B or higher. Besides helping me understand the information the tutors were helpful by giving me tips on the class such as how the professor grades papers, what to study prior to exams, and how to prepare for exams.

If you don’t want to drink but you are at a party with your friends you shouldn’t feel pressured to drink. I’ve personally met at least three people who were not drinking at the last five college parties I went to and they never drank one drop of alcohol. The closest they probably ever got to alcohol is when they were getting a beer for someone else. These parties took place at student’s houses and had between twenty to thirty students at the most. Not everyone drinks and you shouldn’t feel pressured too just because some students are. Use the tutoring program offered at the school, because being tutored can improve your grade. Getting help from tutors has increased my GPA from 3.6 to 3.8 my first year. Besides helping me understand the information the tutors were helpful by giving me tips on the class such as how the professor grades papers, what to study prior to exams, and how to prepare for exams. Being tutored will save you a substantial amount of time by helping you understand the information, instead of trying to understand it by yourself.

Not having enough classes in specific courses can be the most frustrating thing about my school because it makes registering for classes difficult. For example, In the Fall of 2012 there is only one anatomy class that is available which gives me no flexibility in creating my schedule. Without flexibility I am unable to take other courses that interfere with the time period of that one anatomy class. Not having enough classes can be enormously frustrating when there are two required courses that have only one class and interfere with one another.

Felix

there different variety of students and thier behavior and attitude shows the kind of people they are. most of the student are very friendly and always ask for a join success to review of assignment and homeworks before the next day, some students find t hard to get to know the professor because they hardly talk in class but are learning well, others somehow do not repect the Professor, a few student find it hard for the course and then withdraw from the class. the majority of students are focused on thier studeies and learning for a better future

im a political and administrative major and last year our school came third in the Model United Nation Conference in New York. the school is well known for their political effort shown by students of the university. eventhough the college is small but still theirs alot of spirit in academic and physical activities. the girl basketball team has also put UHH on the Board last semester, for they made it the finals. the boys soccer team also made the school known, the school improvement in education and computers technology programs had made the school more known for its services.

Some said college life is hard and some said its fun but to the majority it is a very challenging life. I find my college life very difficult and hard obstacle I face in my time of learning, this is my only chance to make a different in life, thats is why im giving it all my best and put my education to be my first priority. I witness adults coming back to school to get a degree because they themselves know how important it is to be educated in the world we are in. College life is hard, but if you complete your studies and gave it your eveything , then theres nothing stoping you from acheiving your goals and success.

Dora

I have made a lot of transitions: transfering between universities, graduating from college to graduate school, and now another change in career. Because of this, I would tell my high school self never to be married to a path (I would probably preface this by saying something like 'Making active choices and following through on them is really important, but...). It is incredibly confusing figuring out how to be in the world, and the craziest thing is that once you've made it -- you know, you're thirty years old, you've got an exciting job that pays okay, you travel a lot, and you have a good family life -- you are still not sure if you went the right way. It is important to ask yourself 'what do I really want?' but, the truth is, we want a lot, and desires are fickle. Want things, choose them, and fight for them, but when they've been fulfilled, don't be afraid to make new choices, and take new paths You never know how your own process of self-actualization will manifest changes in your professional or personal life, but you can live knowing that life is not a destination.

The University of Hawaii at Hilo is best known academically for its marine biology and Hawaiian studies programs. As a school, however, it has a strong identity because of its relatively small student population and their importance in the community. The university is a big part of life in Hilo, as everyone has at least one family member that is studying there. Everybody in town attends performances at the UHH Performing Arts Center or listen to the student run community radio station, University Radio Hilo. Also, UH-Hilo is well known for its splendid natural surroundings and rain.

The best part about UH-Hilo were the individual teachers whose passion was so inspiring. There is a feeling, because of the idea of island lifestyle and the potential romanticization of Hawaiian living, that a small town island University will be academically stagnant, or that their are too many distractions. Amazing professors choose Hilo as there home because of the healthy lifestyle. I have studied at many institutions, and the teachers here were the most charismatic and challenging.

emily

Knowing what I know now and being able to talk to myself back in high school, the advice I would give would be minimal compared to what some may think. My personality is one that loves to travel and have new experiences so moving from Southern California to Hawaii for my first time was not that big of an issue. I was able to adjust well and people I met always welcomed me with open arms. It did help a lot that I played for the softball team and took part in that. So I would definitely tell myself to take up a sport because the experience and people you meet will never be forgotten. I would definitely tell myself to learn all the recipies for foods I love and stock up on foods that are in California because as amazing as local food is, it is just not the same sometimes. Overall I would remind myself to move there with an open mind and to be adventurous and soak it all in. I am living in Hawaii, can not complain.

I think this school is best known for the amazing specified subject areas and the teachers and research that come with it. Living in Hawaii it is the perfect place to study marine life and astronomy. That being said the nursing program here along with the marine science major are our pride and joy and really draw people in to attend the University of Hawaii at Hilo.

I love how small and close everything is here in Hilo and on this campus. When my friends and family ask about living in Hilo and going to school in Hawaii I can only mention great things. You can walk up and down campus and always see people you know that will always say "hi" to you. Not to mention the beautiful surroundings. Being able to go to the beach whenever it is not raining in hilo, is such a priviledge. I have known people to love it or hate it here and i love it.

Melissa

At the University of Hawaii, I was able to learn a lot about different cultures and communities. Growing up in the Northeast, I was able to get an academic and cultural education which has given me a much more well rounded understanding of the world I live in.

Keep an open mind. Coming out of high school, I had the impression that I was already on a very specific track, and that no variation would be possible. College is the perfect place to truly discover what you like to learn about, what is important to you, and what types of careers you may enjoy in the future. I wish that I was able to understand that at the very beginning of college, in order to fully take advantage of the opportunity!

I wish that I had a better understanding of the faculty within my department. It would have been helpful to research the research interests and backgrounds of the faculty, because University of Hawaii was a small school, where a professor's interests has a huge affect on the students.

lindsay

My classmates are friendly and helpful and enjoyable people to be around.

My classmates are friendly and helpful and enjoyable people to be around.

I would tell myself to never give up, to set goals of all types and try to attain them knowing that even though I might fail, I will succeed in the end. Failure makes us stronger and there is no reason to regret it, there are times when it is appropriate to learn from your mistakes. Don't be too hard on yourself but at the same time, always continue to challenge yourself. No one will make you into anything great, that is your job. Now go be a success.

That the food in the dorms does not taste good.

Lena

In the past, I attended colleges and did not get anything from them. The most important part of the experience freedom from my parents. This time my college experience has been different in so many ways. I am receiving the needed information to help me succeed quickly in my career. I understand that as individuals we have scotomas. These scotomas hinder us and we get used to our comfort zones. College has helped me to break these scotomas. I realized I can change. It began with setting goals. Once the goals were set, I started trying to figure out how to follow through on these goals. College has helped me to follow through in ways I did not realize. I have timelines to follow. I have to follow my schedule. I have to be dependable. I have to be knowledgeable. I have to be professional. All of these values I am going to need as I follow through in life. This college experience has been the real world. I have learned how to deal with others as well as my own self-image. College is a rewarding experience if you make the most out it.

Chandi

wide variety of people from all over the world

wide variety of people from all over the world

Friendly and wide variety of cultures

I have recieved an education out of my college experience. I have gained knowledge and truly appreciate the information that my professors have passed on to me. I will take this wisdom and pass it on to every person that I meet along the way. I will share what I have learned and continue expanding my capability. I have had the chance to meet many unique individuals from all around the world and learn their cultures. I have had an experience of a lifetime. Not only do I enjoy the beautiful campus but I also love the friendly environment that I am constantly surrounded by every day. I must say I live in the most extraordinary place in the world. Hawaii has it all. From luxurious beaches to snow at the top of the mountains, you can take with you all that constantly surrounds you. It is a life changing exprerience that will change your view of life forever. This university is valuable because of its diverse surroundings, landscape, people, class availability, friendliness, cultures, and freedom. I wouldn't be the person that I am today If I had not been able to experience such an amazing University!

University of Hawaii at Hilo administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.