Hilo, HI
University of Hawaii at Hilo

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Hawaii at Hilo

Chandi

Friendly and wide variety of cultures

Friendly and wide variety of cultures

wide variety of people from all over the world

I have recieved an education out of my college experience. I have gained knowledge and truly appreciate the information that my professors have passed on to me. I will take this wisdom and pass it on to every person that I meet along the way. I will share what I have learned and continue expanding my capability. I have had the chance to meet many unique individuals from all around the world and learn their cultures. I have had an experience of a lifetime. Not only do I enjoy the beautiful campus but I also love the friendly environment that I am constantly surrounded by every day. I must say I live in the most extraordinary place in the world. Hawaii has it all. From luxurious beaches to snow at the top of the mountains, you can take with you all that constantly surrounds you. It is a life changing exprerience that will change your view of life forever. This university is valuable because of its diverse surroundings, landscape, people, class availability, friendliness, cultures, and freedom. I wouldn't be the person that I am today If I had not been able to experience such an amazing University!

Tawny

I have gained maturity and a great amount of knowledge. I am now an adult and feel like one. I take on the responsibility of a student and a part time worker. I learned how to manage my time and use my time wisely. I make decisions that will benefit me in my future. I have a very strong mentality to go far in life and to be successful. It has been valuable for me attend college because it allows to me gain more and more knowlodge and grow as a student and a person. Being in school has allowed me to expand my learning and gain as much experience as I can. Going to school has helped me value myself and what I am capable of. It has allowed me to figure out what I can and cannot handle. I encounter many different opsticles and I become a stronger person by learning how to overcome them. School in general is a blessing to me, and to be able to have that freedom to get an education is the smartest decision any person can make.

Chelsea

For me, the college experience so far has meant much more than simply an education. Being someone with a history of depression, college has been a place where I can not only grow, but become someone that I am proud of. I have had my ups and downs to say the least but I am still learning how to handle things on my own and function away from home. In the classroom I have learned discipline, tact, and how to deal with my superiors. Outside of the classroom I have had opportunities that I wouldn't get elsewhere such as joining a sorority. Being part of such a diverse organization, I have become more mindful and interested in other cultures. My experience at Binghamton University has taught me that with desire, focus and the willingness to treat any obstacle as an opportunity, it is amazing what you can accomplish.

Cody

In the midst of my attendance at UHH I've made life long friends, fell in love with surfing, and found joy in seemingly miniscule things. College is stressful at times, and deals many problems, but sitting on a board staring into an infinite stretch of water answers become as clear as the ocean around you. Though my education at UHH is a large portion of my experience, the parts i will always remember are those with friends learning the lay of the land and the beauty it has to offer. While completely alone with four of my closest friends, sinking my toes into Waipio's black sand beach, all worldly problems seemed to slip away and I realized I'm such an unimaginably small part of such a grand scheme and there to keep that scheme alive are many young people like myself who are studying at UHH to preserve this world's beauty. I would still be the punk kid I once was, if it were not for this College in Hawaii where i became a man. I consider it a priviledge to have attended UHH and to have been able to explore such an indescribably beautiful place.

People who are majoring in Pharmacy, Astronomy, and anything to do with the environment should attend here. If you're undecided and just want a beautiful calm environment, love to surf and adventure you should definitely attend, and check out the adventure list in the fitness center (They will shuttle you to the most spectacular places on the island to keep you from drinking etc.) but some of the best places to go aren't known by most and have to be found. If you do decide to attend, refrain from Puna and local spots until you know the people.

University of Hawaii at Hilo is by most standards a small school, which gives the professors time to focus on individual students. The school itself is rather laid back, and everyone is friendly, the local dialect is called pidgeon (i.e. eh brah we go da dakines afta class, i hea he get da ono grinds; Translation: hey bro after class lets go to (Dakine-can literally mean anything, in this case it's a guy's house), i here he has the delicious food). Not a huge party scene, but the adventures are only limited by the rain.

Kristen

In my college experience I have found a lot of more friends. I have learned to socialize more as it is key in networking and I have also found out what my true passion is in life; Graphic Design. I had never actually wanted a career in graphic design because I thought it'd be lame and I'd be classified as a "nerd" but by the time my second semester of college rolled around, I didn't care anymore and I found that I really did love it. Along with acting but it's a tough business to get into so I went with Graphic Design. I also had found out that I shouldn't care what people think, we're not in high school anymore and people don't judge as much as they do in high school and I will be forever grateful for that lesson because I can now be myself freely and not worry about other people's thoughts about me. I am who I am and I like what I like. I will not change or hide who I am.

Kyleigh

College is hard. I miss my family, and I miss my home. I'm really poor, and I have to live with five other girls in a tiny apartment. I've had to learn how to manage my own time, and of course, I've had to deal with the consequences that come with not accomplishing crucial tasks. I feel nervous all the time, because I don't know how I'm going to get through this experience. I've always wanted to attend college, but I honestly didn't think it would sneak up on me so fast. Although pursuing higher education is a challenge, it's the thing that has made me most proud of myself. I've changed from a little kid into a young adult. I no longer need to depend on my mommy for every little thing, and I am learning new things everyday, furthering my knowledge about the world and myself. For the first time in my life, I think I know who I am.

The University of Hawaii at Hilo is the most ethnically diverse campus in the United States. There are numerous races here and it is a cultural awakening for most people, there is a variety of foods, clothing, and languages at UH Hilo. We are also known for the Marine Biology, Geology and Astronomy programs, which offer a lot of fieldwork and hands on experiences.

Growing up in the midwest, the only culture I was really subjected to was different European cultures, but here in Hawaii, there is every single culture imaginable. It has opened my mind to learn new ways learning and accepting people and their culture. The University of Hawaii at Hilo has provided me with many hands on experiences and fieldwork. Here at UH Hilo we have gotten so much attention from the professors, that many of the professors have become my friends. They have guided me into the realm of grad school, and have helped me chose potential advisers and graduate schools based on my interests. They also helped me narrow my intrests and publish a paper in a scientific journal. It has been extremely valuable for me to attend UH Hilo, it helped me to concentrate my intrests and focus on a specific major, and prepared me for the real world. Without UH Hilo, I may have lingered through undergraduate school not knowing what I wanted to study or major in, and wasted valuable time and money.

One of the most frusturating things about our school is the lack initiative. Some of the school buildings are quite old, and they have been building a new science and technology building for over 2 years and it is still not done. There are a lot of things on campus that were promised at the time of applying that still aren't around yet. However they did finally build an amazing student life center that includes an olympic pool and a fully stocked gym and work out area, which is extremely environmentally green.

Abigail

Transition from high school to community college; no big difference at all, right? Wrong! The experience that attending community college has given me is like no other. I was able to pick exactly what classes I wanted to enroll in and the times and days they took place. Community college has given me the freedom to be introduced to the "big college lifestyle" I will soon be living. I like that my school is small enough so you get to know everyone, both students and staff, but the credits from your courses can transfer easily to any 4 year school. You are able to connect with all teachers and build a relationship with them so they are able to help you do your best with your school work. Community college gives you the freedom and responsibility test that high school forced you to take. I am glad that i enrolled in community college before a 4 year school because I feel that it will prepare me more than going straight from high school to college. I reccomend community college to any high school senior as a stepping stone between high school and college.

Felix

Hilo University is great in many ways. The compound is neat and the campus area are mostly being care by garderners and workers. The teacher and councelor are really helping in helping registered for my course. The financial aid and business office are really fast in processing their works. The cafe on the other hand have expensive food. The book store even sell book the make up to $100- $200 dollars.

First off all, most of my classmate that are in some of my courses have really bad attitudes and behavior towards the teachers. Some do concentrateon on their studies and lectures that being giving by the teacher but some students reaaly dont pay any attention in class. More often, student even answer in a bad way back to teachers if either the given lecture or an assignment has anything to do with thier religion or culture. Some do use false language which tells other the way they being brought up into their families without respect to teachers.

During my college experience i mostly learned about the law including the United States Constitution. I have received my Associates Degree in Criminal Justice and planning to continuing my studies for my B. A . I concentrate mostly on my studies and if i face difficulties i always ask because your'll never get an answer if your mouth is close. "ask and you shall receive". The courses i tooked back home in college has encourage me to further my studies and sure did made up my mind to become a politician or a lwayer in the coming future. The only obstacle thats holding most of studies back are my financial needs. I mostly rely on my mom for money for tuition and rent.

mara

It is in Hawaii so very diverse people and culture all around, not to mention beautiful landscape that is also diverse.

I went to University of Hawaii Hilo from Flagstaff, Arizona. Living in the middle of the Pacific Ocean and so far away from everyone I knew definately taught me independance. Hawaii is full of culturally diverse people, so even more than independence, I learned how to realate, function in and appreciate completely foriegn and ever changing situations. This high level of diversity has been very valuable in every aspect of my life, especially in work and providing customer service. I grew as a person through my college experience through my exposure and I am able to communicate and effectively work with many people as a a successful team member. I am going for my masters in healthcare administration and hope that my ability to realate and communicate with individuals can be put to use and built upon so that I can be the most effective worker in helping with my passion to help people.

Anyone who is intrested in high acedemics and interested in learning about themselves as well as others with an open mind.

University of Hawaii at Hilo administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.