Hilo, HI
University of Hawaii at Hilo

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Hawaii at Hilo

Alexis

As a high school senior I made the decision to take it easy my last semester. I still had my main core classes but other than that I figured "what the heck...after this I'm done and off to college." Boy was I wrong. Life as a college student does not get any easier. You are thrown into a huge environment with more people then you can count. Your little classrooms in high school triple and sometimes quadruple in size if you happen to be in a lecture hall. Most of all, what you thought you learned in your high school classes just became more difficult. If I could go back in time I would tell myself, "Yes this is my last year...lets make the most of it." In stead of all those student helper classes that pretty much gave me free reign of the school I should have been in college prep classes. Little did I know that your basic math class in college was your advanced math in high school. One thing I would tell myself, "Prepare yourself because your life in the workforce depends on your college education."

Kristi

If I were to go back in time, my first advice as a senior would be to stay on top of my school work and not have what we call "senioritis." When senior year comes, many students feel that they can finally relax and not work so hard in school since its their last year in high school. But, a lot of kids don't realize that college is much harder than high school. If one decides to "slack off" their senior year, the transition to college would be much harder since the college material one has to learn requires much more studying and focus. My other advise would be to apply as many times as you can for scholarships. Every year, college tuition increases and more students end up with huge loans to pay for after college. You can't always depend on your parents to pay for college, especially if you have other siblings attending college. If you end up wanting to stay at your instiution, especially if it's out-of-state, you should try all that you can to get money so that you won't experience any problems with staying at that institution.

A person who likes relatively big classes and the country side, meaning that there isn't much activity around the area. Also, a person who likes hot weather with ocassional vog and rain should attend this school. Someone who isn't from the islands and is willing to try new things is also the type of person who should attend this school.

The kind of people who shouldn't attend this school are people that like small classes and small schools. Also, people who would want to experience seasonal weather, since Hawaii doesn't experience fall like the changing color leaves. Lastly, a person who loves city life should not attend this school.

Philip

As a college student i have learned through my own failings that the biggest barrier to attaining my goals in college have been to get myself disciplined enough to settle and study. The problem lies in the fact that it is easy to procrastinate work, and that there are always reasons not to do homework right away, finish projects, or even study for a test. My strongest point that i would make to myself would be to always finish every assignment and study material as soon as possible. I have only recently disciplined myself enough to earn my place on the Dean's list. Once there, i wished so much that i could go back in time and convince myself to get my act together sooner.

Brenda

Have you ever walked into a class and everyone just stared at you? I have and it's really embrassing. But at the University of Hawai'i at Hilo, there's that feeling of acceptance when you walk into the class room. Instead of feeling like an outcast or a stanger, you have a classroom full of friends. The fact that the University of Hawai'i at Hilo, makes everyone pretty close. And I believe that's what UHH is known for, our closeness to each other, hospitality, love and acceptance of everyone.

If I could go back in time and inform myself about the transition from high school to college this is what I would advise. Money, yes it's an easy thing to spend and you're going to get a lot of it in college, but you need to start saving. College is not cheap and you need to think about all things you're going to need. Books, food, school supplies, etc. That's all going to add up and if you just spend all your money on clothes, or food for friends, or things you don't need, you're just wasting money you're going to need. Save your money while you have the chance, just put it into your savings account and you'll be set for college, also try getting a job. You have what it takes to go far in life, all you have to do is apply yourself. Study hard too, don't play around every night. You waited your whole life for this moment, do your best no regrets. Don't worry you're going to make it through, though you may struggle, just loook to your heart.

Honestly, I can't think of anything that is fustrating about my school. Though I do get fustrated when I don't get my financial aid on time, because it makes things difficult when I need to buy my books or things for my room. Especially since this is my first year, I was hoping that I wouldn't have to worry about my financial aid and finances, yet that is all I have had to worry about. So I wish there was an easier way to do financial aid transactions, so that I wouldn't have to worry.

Mike

Don't be afraid of majors that seem flooded by the "overly smart" people. You may not be the best at your future job, or the best in your graduating class, or even the best in your semester class. Don't let that discourage you from DOING your best. You don't have to be a genius to enter the job field and contribute to our free society. It is very difficult to make ends meet without a college degree. Many of us have found out the hard way. We live in a free country, and that can be difficult to grasp. Even if you don't feel it, trust me: take advantage of this excellent opportunity, and enter each day (even frustrating days) with a thankful heart. Lastly, do not overload yourself with a class schedule you cannot handle. There is no competition to graduate, especially in an economic lull. Do not make yourself rush through textbooks for the teacher's sake. Read your textbooks, even if you'll not need it for a quiz. A lot of this information is far too enriching to treat lightly, and this may be the only time to hear it.

Students interested in marine biology and agriculture degrees, there will be a need for that kind of growth here. Sustainability has recently become a common concern on the Hawaiian Islands. The journalism here is young, and so entrepreneurial type students may want to take advantage of the need for media.

Those looking for master's degrees in mathematics and information science. Those looking for accounting degrees and business degrees as well.

Nicolas

Do not worry about the future, just follow your interests. Explore as many career fields as you can to see what you like or what you don't like. Look at colleges around the country and beyond, there are many ways to finance college. I will be honest with you, life is hard and it will hold you down if you let it, but if you keep moving forward with integrity you will succeed in anything you put your mind to. Do not blame others for where you are in life, you are responsible for how far you can go. Have the courage to follow your dreams, not just the path of least resistance. Life can be short, don't forget to appreciate your family while you still can. Take care of yourself, do your best and forget the rest.

Small class sizes provide more intimate feel. Because of small classes, I can speak with my professors at any time and receive extra help. There are many opportunities to get involved with student activities and government.

Located in a small town, limited things to do. Most buildings are very old and need to be updated.

Danielle

The mixture of the educational processes and cultural diversity give you a up-ward movement for students that will last a life time.

Although you have had great teachers and counselors since you were in elementary who emphasized on the importance of being prepared for college, there will be a lot that you have to acquire on your own. Paying attention in High school classes is a lot different then the lecture based classes that you will be taking in your college years. Being able to pay attention will help you to better succeed in all of the advice that was offered by teachers and counselors in your earlier years, like such things as test taking. Another area that you should also focus on before you enter the whirl wind of college course is the question of what you would really want to be. Enrolling in interesting course is good, but not when you end up in college for more then ten years. Being in college is a commitment that you make to for yourself. It will be in your best interest to be ready for the experience. After the schooling is over, you will be the product of the university. But more importantly you will be able to achieve a lot more things in life then just a good job.

Those who find it hard to adjust to a new environment, and have a hard time paying attention.

Tiana

The large amount of rain it has almost everyday.

The large amount of rain it has almost everyday.

I would say to make a lot of new friends and don't hang around people you already know. Try to be very outgoing and very fun. But make sure that you balance your schedule and have fun at the same time. Also go to your classes don't switch out!!!!

I tell my friends that their are a lot of oppurtunities here and the classes are small so there is always ample help for you. There are also a lot of free resources like the gym and free prininting, and tutoring resources.

University of Hawaii at Hilo administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.