University of Hawaii at Hilo

« See more reviews of University of Hawaii at Hilo

If I could go back in time and tell myself anything before my freshman year at college, it may have been to simply ?relax?. One thing I remember most about my first year at University were the sleepless nights I spent worrying about the next day?s assignments, deadlines, and the part time jobs I took on the side to try and supplement my financial aid. I spent so much time trying to be academically, financially, and professionally perfect that I remembering burning out and really not doing as well as I do if I just have fun learning.

Before I came to this school, I wish I had known about the tutoring programs that were offered because the tutors provide a great deal of information. Getting help from tutors has increased my GPA from 3.6 to 3.8 my first year. The tutors are students who have previously took the specific class and attained a grade of B or higher. Besides helping me understand the information the tutors were helpful by giving me tips on the class such as how the professor grades papers, what to study prior to exams, and how to prepare for exams.

I wish that I had a better understanding of the faculty within my department. It would have been helpful to research the research interests and backgrounds of the faculty, because University of Hawaii was a small school, where a professor's interests has a huge affect on the students.

I wish I had known that it's not that bad, but it definitely wasn't the school for me. I should've gone elsewhere.

What the facilities looked like and how big the campus was.

That the food in the dorms does not taste good.

How bad the food was

More about Hawaii

The demographics