University of Hawaii at Hilo Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for University of Hawaii at Hilo

jadee

I think it is a pretty good school if anyone is looking for a change compared to home. It has a really good atmosphere and is rich with culture and diversity since it is Hawai’i after all. There are always opportunities to grow as a person and your knowledge.

Kehaulani

Although the school is not a very city like and crowded campus, it has a home-touch to it. Every is friendly and you get along with everyone. The professors help to make this campus a great experience as well. It is in a beautiful state and there is always the outdoors to help you take any breaks you need. Overall, this small university can leave you with some great friends and memories.

kathryn

It's a great place to go for school, theres so much you can learn from being on the big island. There is tons of major opportunities, I'm currently double majoring in sociology and psychology. I've joined three different clubs and organizations. Being in Hawaii there is so many things you can go do, you just have to be willing to venture off the beaten path a little. It's a beautiful place to go to school and everyone is welcoming.

Brandon

The University of Hawaii at Hilo is in approximately the center of the town, and it takes advantage of all that Hilo has to offer. UHH is much smaller than its sister college, Manoa, but this is what makes UHH unique. The University of Hawaii at Hilo doesn’t seem like a “classical” American college. UHH is a perfect example of how heart, hard work, and resilience can affect a student body. Every student here is Ohana (family). The family extends to each branch of the college. The deans strive to keep instructors and faculty connected. Instructors work diligently and put in time and effort that exceeds expectations. The feeling of unity weighs just as heavily in the warm air as the humidity. UH Hilo isn’t a “party” school, but sometimes it doesn’t even seem like school. As I partake in fun excursions and gain hands-on experience here, I feel like I part of a family. And I’ve loved every minute of it.

Brooke

I think UH Hilo is a perfect school for anyone who wants the college experience in a safe environment. The teachers are more than willing to help students, campus activities are really fun, and there is free food from time to time which is also nice.

Madalyn

I absolutely love it! UHH Is definitely a one of a kind place where all are welcome and accepted! Class sizes at UHH are a max of 70 studens, but that is usually only in the big lecures like Chemsitry. On average, classes are no more than 30 students, which allows every student to ask questions and recieve clarification if they are confused. Also, because the class sizes are so small, especually for lab, students get hands on expierence almost every day! The Marine Science Department, in particular, gives their students so much field work expierence that they do not need an internship to get a job or into graduate school. In addition to that, the teachers are MORE than willing to help you out! In fact they want each of their students to come visit them in their offices when ever the they need help on an assignment or if they need academic advisingBeing one of the most culturally diverse campuses in the country, UHH offers endless opportunities to learn about others from different parts of the world. Over all, UHH is a place that fosters academic and personal growth and encourages students to be the very best that they can be!

Hilo is a very accessible campus. Without being a student yet, they have been the most convenient school to call, email, and talk to. That was the largest benefactor to choosing the University of Hilo, Hawai'i as my campus. All their facilities are updated including the on-campus housing and new doctorate buildings. Through their email system, they displayed a large concern for student safety. Up to date emails kept all students aware of the recent volcanic action in the local area and vog (a large concern for those with respiratory issues). They also offered lots of options for those in need of help in regards of natural weather concerns, options for issues preventing academic performance, and various contacts. I feel very safe and all my confidence is to represent Hilo. A representative even visited my high school to congradulate me formally! Looking forward to being a Vulcan!!! Encouraging other students to look towards Hilo!

Iryne

University of Hawaii, Hilo is a great school to attend if you want to enjoy Hawaii but also go to school. The education is great here and so is the professors. I wish they worked on the dorms to make it look more homey. The dorm bathrooms are gross! The student life center is a great place to be at during your spare time. I wish they made the food better also, the campus center food is way better.

Aolani

The University of Hawaii at Hilo has an amazing scenic campus. The koki frogs at night are amazing. One thing I admire about the college is that, the classes are small enough where the professors are able to work with you and discuss your grades etc. If you fail and flunk out of this college then I don't know what you're doing wrong. This school is very easy to pass. A few dislikes, the teaching of some lecture professors, the lack of school spirit and financial aid always gives me problems.

Jualin Sable

My overall opinion about the University of Hawaii at Hilo is that everyone is welcoming. I feel like I have found lifelong friends at this University. With everyone,​ I encounter we all have a great from hosting events and just being surrounded by the community. The University of Hawaii at Hilo is an amazing place to be if you have never been there. Most people at first will be thinking why the Big Island there is nothing to do there. Honestly, if you know the right people and make the right friends the Big Island and the University of Hawaii at Hilo will not be boring at all. I can tell you that from experience.

Keanu

Hilo is a much smaller size in comparison to UH Manoa but maintains a small community vibe with a large variety of options. Hilo is perhaps the best school for Hawaiian Studies and the source of what is considered the Hawaiian renaissance, which has impacted Hawaii for decades to come. The campus is uniquely multi-cultural and features a lot of study abroad students from international and national places. Although it is not nearly as active as a city based college, there's a lot to do if someone is willing to look for it.

Natasha

It is an amazing school with many of the students caring about their heritage. Many of the students went to Mauna Kea to protest TMT because of how sacred it is to the Hawaiian people. The student body is very chill and laid back. The majority of the students come from Pacific Island backgrounds so it can be a bit of a culture shock to people from the continental United States, or from busy places.

Christa

My overall opinion is that your experience with this school is what you make it. You can have a good time and an education at this school but you just have to be willing to put yourself out there, meet new people and be responsible with your class work.

Ciera

There is pretty much nothing to do on campus, so if you do not have a car then you will be very bored. If you have a car here you will be able to go around and see the island and do fun stuff. The food is good but can sometimes get repetitive. People around the campus are very nice and friendly and it is nice that the class sizes are small and that since its a smaller college you will almost always see someone you know when you are out around campus which is cool. Depending on your major there might not be a lot of classes offered for you.

Keanu

It’s a good campus to begin your college career. I wouldn’t suggest finishing a masters or doctorate from University of Hawaii at Hilo. Class sizes are small so you can get to know the professor if you want to. Most professors care about student learning but there are some that only care about their paycheck.

Kaede

most of all good

Chelsea

It is a small school in a somewhat rural area. This allows the faculty and students to have a lot of connections; however the school does not have much money so it can be difficult to get classes sometimes. Additionally, there is not much school spirit at this school; it has more of a community college feel to it.

Maluhiaokekaiena

University of Hawaiʻi is a great school with wonderful professors and a wide variety of students. There are multiple sports teams which provide amazing opportunities for the athletes and allows students to gather and have fun together. There are also great supportive services offered, ranging from free counseling to free tutoring.

Ruby

I don’t go to the main campus, I go to their college of pharmacy. Currently, we are still in modular trailers waiting for our new campus to open. It has been 10 years in the making, but it was announced in the paper that July will be the official opening day of our new campus. It will be an exciting day.

Faith

Although I am currently only a freshman, I have experienced so much in the time that I have spent so far at the University of Hawaii at Hilo. There are several things that I truly enjoy that the campus has to offer. For example, I love the variety of quality food in the dining hall that they provide, the altruism and support of professors/peers, and the size of the campus. I have lived in Hawaii my entire life and it's nice to be able to have that same feel of home and "aloha" that is shared on campus. There are many clubs and extracurricular activities provided through the school, which I am super excited for, and gives students the opportunity to bond together. As time goes on, I hope to experience more on the campus to widen my opportunities.

I am a current student of UH Hilo, living on campus in the Kauanoe dorms. I love this school, and there is usually a lot to do here on campus, but it is often hard to find things to do if you do not have a car. The local beaches, rivers and hiking trails are great, but you need a car or uber to get there. As it is a small school, everyone pretty much knows each other. There are lots of clubs and other extracurricular activities to participate in.

Jenelle

It’s a good school. It is very culturally diverse, I like how the school emphasizes on sustainability and conservation. I also enjoy how the school provides activities for every students. The only thing that I’d suggest they change is bring down housing price, housing is too expensive especially with the meal plan.

Maika

Maika'i nui loa. makemake au I ke kula nui. Really Great I like this college. It's a college that I find most astonishing in a place that is so unique and so beautiful. Tis college is maybe in my opinion one the greatest places you can possibly go to college.

Marvin

I truly believe that University of Hawaii at hilo is a great school because I know it has the tools that can shape me up and make me prepared for my future. I have been developing skills and I have been feeling more confident when it comes to things like laboratory.

Jacqueline

I love UH Hilo, here the partying isnʻt the main thing we focus on. We all have a big drive and focus on our majors, classes, and homework. On-campus, there are a lot of resources for all students, especially the native Hawaiian students. We have access to our professors 24/7 and I love how close the students are with the professors and other campus employees.

Mary

The University of Hawaii at Hilo is actually quite different than what I expected. Sure, the hallways and walkways can be crowded from time to time, when students are hurrying to their next class, but it's an overall large campus, The students come from many backgrounds (you'd be surprised as to how many come from out of state and country) and the professors also seem to hail from another state, sometimes even other countries. The cafeteria food is far more delicious than what it was made out to be (and you can also watch some of the cooks actually make your food), and the service is amazing. The staff are friendly, and if you ever need someone to talk to, they're there for both students and other staff members as well. It's a generally, well diverse, and quite amazing university. I'm glad and appreciative for the experience I gained from attending this university.

I think that this college is very well diverse place. Everyone is extremely kind and helpful, also, the classes here are pretty small (The most being about a little over 100). Since it is the big island, other than college there are many waterfalls and secret beaches to explore as well that ed adventures would be happy to take you to :) Overall, I highly recommend attending!

Emma

great for students looking for small classroom sizes and wanting to learn about hawaii

Molini

University of Hawaii at Hilo is a great school with great students. This school is heavily, culturally-diverse; from the variety of foods, different ethnics and races, and much more. In addition, people here are accepting and welcoming of one another. They possess the "aloha spirit", or in other words, the existence of positive feelings and thoughts, that radiate among others.

Jacksir

University of Hawaii of Hilo is a great place to study and concentrate on school because there is not many things to do but it is a relaxing place to meet all different cultured students from all over the world. Because of the chill environment I am able to put all my effort into studying.

I absolutely love UH Hilo and its environment. Being a freshman right out of high school, I didn't know what to expect but the second I got on campus to check in to my dorm I instantly felt at home. The people on campus, off campus and on the Big Island in general are so welcoming. Definitely an amazing school I would highly recommend others to attend or at least make an effort to study abroad at.

Maria Christine

As a current student, I can say I am a happy Vulcan. My first year of college off-island was a big mental stress for me, but the people and the facilities within in the school helped me overcome my struggle. It was a tough first year but I am glad I was able to push through and my school was very supportive of me.

Graecin

The University of Hawaii at Hilo has provided me with the helping hands and guidance I need to start my college path. From advisors to managers, everyone makes an effort to remember our names and faces on a personal level. The bond between students and staff is an extremely important part of the school and helps boost trust and understanding on campus.

Taumie

I have attended this university for over 6 years now both as an undergraduate and graduate student. The college has a very like-able fitness center and due to out many health majors offered on campus, many students on campus are fitness and health-oriented. The campus itself is beautiful with green grass, palm trees, open hallways and centers and a sometimes rainy, sometimes sunny sky above. A small enrollment rate makes the campus not crowded and classes not overwhelmingly full. The Hilo community leads a very laid-back and friendly reputation that is immediately apparent. The college does need to up it's academics though as many professors aren't demanding. The College of Pharmacy is also still brand new and figuring so much out that it feels chaotic and disorganized for a graduate school profession that we pay thousands of dollars for every year. Parking sucks and the system of buying a pass only for a particular zone when classes are scheduled many areas on campus doesn't seem to be efficient.

Kaitlyn

There’s not much going on socially & there’s no night life in the town but the academics are up to par. If you’re looking for a simple college life & on campus jobs, UH is an okay option. I wouldn’t recommend it for anyone looking to be social outside of class, unless you’ll be living on campus or playing sports.

Whitney

My overall opinion of the University of Hawaii at Hilo is that is a good sized school that offers many opportunities to a wide range of students. One thing that I truly enjoy about this University is that it gives me a sense of "home away from home" feeling. Coming to school that is very far from friends and family was a huge change but this school has allowed me to grow and truly find my aspirations of what I want to do with my future. The atmosphere is really great and I think that the community itself is welcoming which allows students to feel comfortable and grow. The fact that the school is very diverse allows others to dive into different cultures to learn something new which I believe is hard to find at other Universities. The staff and counselors are helpful and are willing to give office hours if anyone needs them. I am thankful to attend a University is diverse in culture, the people are nice and welcoming, and overall I feel that after I graduate the goals I had for myself will be achieved.

alicia

UH Hilo is a very good school. Its known for its diversity of students. The university is in a good location, not to far from shopping areas, and it has good facilities for working out and relaxation. The campus is a good size for the students that are on campus during the year.

Maya

At first, I was skeptical to go to a college in a town that was well known for being small and a little slow paced compared to where I grew up but I've been attending this university for almost two years now and haven't regretted it once. There is always something fun and interesting going on as long as you know where to look. I've met so many amazing people from all over the world in my classes and clubs. Being known as one of the most student diverse colleges in the nation, it's very interesting to see many cultures thriving in one place all with the common interest of education. The classes are very well paced and the teachers are very welcoming and easy to talk to and always willing to offer help to any students that need it. I highly recommend this college to anybody in any major!