University of Hawaii at Manoa Top Questions

Lavender

Seeing how much my classmates have accomplished already in high school and college inspires me and motivates me to work harder in my classes when things get stressful.

Bianca

A large majority of our school is Asian, Pacific Islander, or Caucasian. As a part of the minority I do see how diverse our school is. There is not just one type of Asian, so it's a very lovely thing to have culture shock and learn about the different types of culture surrounding me. Coming from south Florida, where we have little to no Asian American population, and moving halfway across the world to Hawaii, where the state is completely overrun by them. The students have opened my eyes to be more sensitive towards the different types of people the world has to offer. There are also many different type of people. Some are adventurous and enjoy water sports or hiking, while others are quiet and enjoy studying. The students at UH are very welcoming to share traditions, beliefs, and also ideas to help you become the best person ever.

Patricia

Mostly students from California, lots come from Asia, Japan and South East Asia. Most are very dedicated and intellectual, and I enjoy the kind of philosophical discussions I have participated in most of my courses.

they were quite engaging and understood the material.

Felicia

My classmates are fellow lovers of plants with a passion for the sustainability of natural resources and are pursuing careers in the agriculturals industry of Hawaii.

sdfghj

Many are Asian. Most people don't seem to care that much about school, the world, etc. at least to compared to what I am used to at home. Most people seem to be from middle income families.

My classmates are interesting, outgoing, and a majority of them are eager to learn.

Lawrence

No one would feel out of place at UH Manoa. It is by far the most diverse campus I have been on. Almost every race/ethnicity is represented here and it is well balanced. Everyone is friendly and students like to help each other out. I'm not sure about financial backgrounds but from the classes I have attended it seems like the students come from all over with very different backgrounds. I have yet to hear anyone talk about how much they will earn one day.

Auriona

The students at UHM are just as diverse as the island its located on. Because we do live in such a laid back atmosphere, students here do have a more mellow attitude towards life and school which, to me at least, really helps lower the stresses of classes. I don't know of another school where you can wake up and see football practice, a person waxing their surfboard on the front lawn, and people wearing beach clothes to class. It's an amazing feeling! There are a few things that may be issues to certain students though... First off, a lot of students are locals, so they can and will speak Moke and Pidgin. For those of us who were raised on the mainland and taught proper English and grammar...you will have troubles understanding them. Also, if you're a type of person that really wants to show off and disrespects the local traditions or culture, you will be ousted. Also, for mainland students, you must understand that the majority of the students at this school have grown up together either through school, work, or family, so they will travel in packs and it is a little difficult/intimidating to make friends if you're not an outgoing person. Other than that, I really didn't notice many things that would make a person feel uncomfortable.

Naomi

The students at UH are very diverse. All sorts of groups are represented at the university. Hawaii's weather usually sticks around a very comfortable 78 degrees with the sun shining. So students usually wear shorts and other summer wear. However, it is advisable to carry around an umbrella at all times.

.

Our campus is very mixed. There's so many different religious, racial backgrounds on campus. We have LGBT program. We have Caucasians, Chinese, Japanese, Filipino, Hawaiian, Korean, Samoan, all different nationalities. Students dress very casually. T-shirts and shorts with slippers/flip flops are very common due to the weather here. Some students are from Hawaii, some are from the mainland, and we have quite a bit of international students as well.

Nancy

I'll admit, I'm the type of person who likes to take easier classes when it's not required, but at the same time, if the class isn't very difficult and is taught by a teacher with a teaching style I like, I would choose them. There are many students like that as well. There are also students who take school very seriously, but there are also students who only wants to pass their class. We also have students who distinguish themselves apart from the other students, and we have those who may cause a bit of trouble. Of course, there is much more to a student than that. UH Manoa has a lot of international students who may end up in one of your classes eventually. Overall, I believe that no matter what college you go to, you will find a bunch of these personalities around, maybe not in the exact forms, but I'm pretty sure they will be close :P

Sheri

The students on campus are generally accepting. I think there is a very large range of people on campus since UH is known for having international students. I often see many different types of students interacting, although there can be groupings which is based on majors or clubs. There is a lot of different types of clubs for people to join, which allows for a variety of options to students. There are many students who have grown up here, while also having a good variety from all over the world.

Overall, academics at UH Manoa are above average but not excellent. However, this also depends on the departments and programs we look at. Some departments are very good, while others aren't. Most lower-level students have a hard time getting the courses they need because the registration system is poorly thought-out and working against their needs. Introductory courses are usually frustratingly basic and slow, and they're mostly offered at the same times in the day, making it hard to complete GenEd requirements and prerequisites quickly (within the first year and a half). The admissions office doesn't leave students much time to rearrange their schedules once the semester has started, so it's important to have your classes set within two weeks of the start of the semester. You can drop courses without any penalty through the first few weeks, but after that, you will have a W (withdrawal) on your transcript for any class dropped after the two-week margin. You can withdraw from classes up through midterms. Summer school is really useful! Classes are done in 8 weeks and you can take up to 6 classes each summer. Worth every penny if you find the classes you need are offered. There are lots of really interesting courses, especially as you enter the upper division. There are also lots of really good professors - definitely some bad ones (and when they're bad, they're REALLY bad), but for the most part they're all capable. I have not yet met a professor who does not want their students to come to their office. Class sizes range from over 100 (usually less than 150) for the introductory lectures, to 10 or 12 in the upper level topics courses. In either case, professors tend to make an effort to know your name and have students interact in classes. Class participation has been required for every 200+ level course I have taken, but sometimes the discussion is dominated by a few voices, if not only the teacher. Once you declare your major and make friends with students within your own major, you will find that participation isn't so much a requirement as it is a useful and enjoyable aspect of learning. I have two majors: History (world-comparative) and International Relations (self-made major). I cannot speak highly enough of the History Department. Two of my favorite teachers of all time are in the History Department, and all faculty there are well-suited to be teachers - not just professors, but people who actually teach. The major requirements are well thought-out and will provide you with a capable knowledge of history. In high school, I was not at all interested in history, but after having taken a few classes (with great professors), I have come to appreciate history as a vital tool. My second major - International Relations - was developed on my own initiative within the Interdisciplinary Studies program. I do not regret the decision to make the program, as the classes I have taken are all very rewarding, but I do regret that I have to work with the people at the IS office - they are truly horrible. I would strongly advise anyone considering an IS degree against it. One aspect about that I love about some of the programs at UH is that they either offer or require their students to complete some sort of senior project or internship. If done well, written theses can be published, and internship supervisors can provide useful letters of recommendation.

Miguel

Every type of ethnicity, obviously tons of Asians, lots of mixed-race locals (don't call locals Hawaiians unless they are 100{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} ethnic Hawaiian!), and quite a few LGBT people as well. There are also a ton of kids from Colorado and California because of a BS in-state tuition discount UH gives to Western schools. Everyone on my floor who isn't local is from LA basically. There is some racism (google 'Haole') but it's really not that bad if you are respectful. Claims of a racist local population by haoles are exaggerated. Dress is super casual and sometimes (awesomely) inappropriate. People wear slippers (sandals) everywhere and sometimes go barefoot. Half the kids skate/longboard around campus. Lots of kids surf obviously. I have no idea about the political views of most kids, basically because there is a general consensus that Hawaii is not part of America (at least culturally). Religiously...there's everything, but surprisingly there's a lot of fanatical Christians on Oahu. Not to mention Mormons. But not overwhelming by any means.

Miguel

Every type of ethnicity, obviously tons of Asians, lots of mixed-race locals (don't call locals Hawaiians unless they are 100{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} ethnic Hawaiian!), and quite a few LGBT people as well. There are also a ton of kids from Colorado and California because of a BS discount UH gives to Western schools. Everyone on my floor who isn't local is from LA basically. There is some racism (google 'Haole') but it's really not that bad and usually only happens to assholes. Dress is super casual and sometimes (awesomely) inappropriate. People wear slippers (sandals) everywhere and sometimes go barefoot. Half the kids skate/longboard around campus. Lots of kids surf obviously. I have no idea about the political views of most kids, basically because Hawaii is hardly a part of America. Religiously...there's everything, but surprisingly there's a lot of fanatical Christians on Oahu. Not to mention Mormons. But no biggie...

The student body at Manoa is mostly Asian and Pacific Islanders, but largely diverse in style, sexual orientation, and religious affiliation.

My classmates always valued education as a means to prepare themselves for a future career in their field.

Alysha

My classmates are a mixture of a variety of ethnic groups; ranging from Hawaiian to Japanese.

My classmates well represented the positive spirit of Hawaii's locals as well as the ethnic and cultural diversity that Hawaii is known for.

Classmates are not adequately prepared for the challenes of a rigorous and challenging course load, and professors tend not to have high expectations with regards to how well students perform.

The classroom is filled with classmates from all around the world. Hawaii is the bridge of the pacific and it brings people from all over the mainland unitedstates as well as people from asia, europe and all over the world. The people are all differnt but all share the quality of kindness and never quick to judge you so making friends and getting along with people never has been easier.

Theresa

Classmates are friendly and generally eager to help. The students are more focused on understanding and achieving as a group rather than individual achievement. UH is bigger university but with a "small town" feeling.

Without a doubt, the University of Hawaii at Manoa is the most racially diverse campus in the nation; name a particular race and I guarantee we have it!

Tahni

Eager to learn and strive for the best.

Darah

Most of them are fun and academically driven to graduate and pursue a career.

Classmates are friendly and ready to help each other

My classmates here at the University of Hawaii at Manoa are unique! Hawaii is what we like to call a Mixed Plate because of all the different racial, and religious backgrounds.

Mikilyn

My classmates are friendly and motivated, and come from all over the globe, they inspire me to embrace my individuality and challange me to work harder.

Torri

My classmates were extremely helpful and kind.

My classmates are intelligent, sassy, spunky, fabulous, loud, beautiful inside and out, boys and girls, compassionate, passion driven, career-oriented, focused, somewhat lazy, optimistic, sometimes lonely, moody, confident. My classmates are glamfabulous!

Leilani

Depending on what the course is the classmates range from 18 to 25. There are a few older students like me. There is a heavy weight on Asian students, local students who are mixed and many students from Japan and Korea.

Sharon

My classmates are friends, future collegues, hard working and lazy, respectful, opinionated yet open, and almost like family. A few of them have been in classes with me throughout my college career, probably due to having the same major and/or career path in mind.

tammy

Diverse, interesting, smart with different views and backgrounds

Most of my classmates seem to be pretty relaxed and down to earth, but most of them seem to also be hard working individuals.

My fashion classmates are fabulous, outgoing, beautiful, spunky, intelligent, sassy, funny, sensitive, very emotional, loving, caring, warm-hearted, independent, concentrated, focused, has a drive for life and career, family-oriented, hard-working, jolly, supportive, always smiling, talkative, always willing to help others, loves to study in groups, loves to do homework in groups, easy-going, can easily become your friend, and lastly a lot of ALOHA!

Kellsie

My fellow classmates are focused on their school work but at the same time can be helpful to myself and others.

Chanel

My classmates are friendly and helpful but the connection or a bond is hard to be formed in just the classroom.

Lacey

Classmates range in age, race, ethnicity, religion, and values. Everyone is different, which I think makes our school uniue and diverse.

Miki

Many are usually friendly but some can be very opinionated or snobby.

Kellie

I like my classmates because everyone is focused. Everyone here comes willing and waiting to learn, and everyone is willing to help each other. everyone is kind and generous to each other, although we are complete strangers, we manage to demonstrate aloha to each other.

The University of Hawaii at Manoa class is a culturally diverse, environmentally friendly, care-free, beachgoing class that loves nature and preserving it's beauty and also loves their football!

Clinton

My classmates are all very ethnically diverse, and most are very friendly and willing to help you if you need it.

They vary widely in personality, experience, and backgrounds.