University of Hawaii at Manoa Top Questions

Lavender

A person who wants to attend a school with a strong sense of community and school spirit who also wants to feel as if their college is their family should not attend this school.

Cheyenne

I think that any kind of person can attend this school. Due to the variety of diversity that exists on the University of Hawaii campus students are able to interact with people from many different cultures and backgrounds. Since this University is so accepting, people who are unable to cope with diversity of race and sexual orientation shouldn't attend this school unless they have interest in changing their views or perception.

Moorea

A student who is looking for a very challenging school, and is looking to meat lots of intellectual people.

people who don't like the warm weather or who aren't use to fast pace tourist areas. Also if you don't like smokers, there are a lot of smoking on and off campus. If you aren't very focused, nobody will be there to push you and it's very easy to lose your concentration.

This school isn't for those who easily get homesick. Being in the middle of the Pacific Ocean means that going to the Continental United States can be expensive.

AshLee

The school is life changing, therefor anyone who goes will adapt to the student's lifestyle for the better; however, people who are shy and keep to themselves should not attend this school. The University of San Diego majors in student interaction with one another and stresses the idea of students becoming one. People are always friendly and willing to interact, thus making student life a little easier and exciting.

The kind of person that shouldn't attend this school is a student that has a family and little money. I think to live on campus you should be single, because it is cheaper than paying rent every month. However, if you have a family like me, it will get hard to afford tuition, housing, and food. Tuition alone is a big factor in if you attend this school or not.

Rosalyn

I would not exclude anyone from attending this school. However, I would emphasize that if one were to attend the University of Hawai'i at Manoa from out of state, that they enter the experience with and open mind, and open heart, and a positive attitude.

GirliehMae

Depends on your major

Chelsey

If you are a person who doesn't like humidity and heat, or occassional rain every now and then. Also if you don't like walking or public transportation.

Annie

Does not like hot/warm weather, does not like going to the beach, wants active Greek life, wants a big campus, does not enjoy being around tourists or hearing people speak a second language, gets sick easily, cannot take flying on an airplane, not a fan of Asian cuisine, gets bored easily, impatient, not used to public transportation.

Breanna

One thing that UH does not possess is lot of diversity. I would not suggest this school for someone who is looking for advanced technology or a vast array of people. If you don't like the beach or warm weather, this is not the place for you. Most students spend every moment they can riding a wave or just laying on the sand catching the rays. The sports programs are not the greatest, except the girls volleyball team. So, if you are hoping to catch a football game and watch your team win, wrong school!!

Hawaii is the most diverse place in the country. The university is in a major city (honolulu), but is in the middle of nature as well. Sure, the buildings could be renovated, and the food could be better, but the people are totallt tolerant and friendly. The campus is also all about "being green" and sustainable.

Any person with dreams of travelling the world and broadening their horizons would not enjoy attending University of Hawaii. The University offers a very unique perspective about one particular culture, however the fairly small campus and the remote location do not offer as much opportunity for travel and varied experiences as other colleges.

Liane

someone who has an undecided major

Dorian

Personally, I was a pretty strong student in High School. When I came to UH, it was a major change from being told what to do at all times in class to being able to do whatever I wanted. I really disregarded my 1st year of school because I had never been on my own and it was great to do whatever I wanted, whenever. If you're a major party person or dislike school, this is not the place for you. It's extremely hard, no matter how hard work to bring your GPA back up.

People shouldn't attend UH, if they are addicted to drugs and alcohol, if they aren't going to focus on their studies. Also, people shouldn't attend UH if they want to party all the time, people who do these things often times end up leaving the school after their first semester. People also shouldn't attend UHM if they are going to miss a lot of classes, UH has a strict attendance policy.

Marie

The kind of person who shouldn't attend this school is someone who doesn't like the beach, sunny weather, friendly people and doesn't want to further their education to better themselves.

I consider the University of Hawai'i Manoa to be a school for anybody. There is a lot of diversity here within ethnicity and majors.

Someone who is both a very environmentally aware person and goal oriented. The conventional view is that education increases one's earning potential, so attending college is a ticket to a high-paying job; With University of Hawaii this holds true and the majority of people who graduate with the same major as me "Marine Biology" will obtain a job. So if you love the ocean and a great learning environment come to UNiversity of Hawaii.

someone who isnt ready to go to the next level

Janina

one that has their stuff together, and are rich

Blayton

Anyeone can attend this school

A person that should NOT attend this school is someone who can't handle being away from home for long periods of time. Most of us go 4 or 5 months without seeing our parents or friends from home.