University of Hawaii at Manoa Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for University of Hawaii at Manoa

Cloe

University of Hawaii at Manoa is a fun place to go to college. It is not challenging and feels much easier than an average mainland college. I would recommend this university if you are looking for a relaxed, laid back environment. The student are generally friendly as well as the faculty. If you want to be intellectually challenged and find internships, look carefully into your major before applying.

Johniel

Very expensive tuition. I want to be able to learn and improve my knowledge for my everyday situations.

UHM

Nakoa

I had a really smooth transition going from high school to college. There are many opportunities to get involved with the various clubs on campus. We have a few posterboards with all these events happening around the campus or the island. I think that we have a very nice campus too. It's small and very easy to navigate through.

Kylie

UH is great because it's surrounded by tons of beauty and we have such a diverse group of people. There isn't much greek life and the campus isn't very big and the education isn't the best either, but it's still a great school with lots of resources.

Breanna-Marie

It’s a beautiful location, but the facilities are run down and they don’t seem to have the money to do something about it. Also, the parking situation is horrible. There is not enough room for people to come and go from the terrible buildings that they call dorms. But still, the nature surrounding the school is beautiful.

Penny

People here are friendly. Teachers have office hours a few times a week and are also available for appointments. Dorms are overall good, food does get repetitive, with the same meals every other week or so. Classes are either in lecture halls (250+ students) and many classes have recitation (around 20 students) .

Eternity

It's focused on what you want to aconplish. UH Manoa really offers a variety of things. And it doesn't have to be your major, it's close to everything and students get the chance to experience Hawaii from a locals point of view.

Umi

UH Manoa is a great school with a lot of nice buildings, it's a small campus which is easy to get around and pretty great professors. I feel that if you pick the right professors your life at UH should be bearable. The campus is small compared to other Universities in America so getting around shouldn't be a problem. The only downside is if you get a bad professor you're probably bound to have a hard semester.

Anela-Lani

The University of Hawaii at Manoa was a great environment to go to school. Not only is it extremely diverse, but also excels in a number of academics. The greatest asset for me was the counseling offered whenever you needed it. College was hard for me, trying to decide what I wanted to pursue and what I needed to do in order to graduate, but talking to several counselors helped me a lot. They have so many counselors as well as student mentors that can help you out if you feel a little lost. Everyone at UH is, for the most part, a happy, positive person. You can attribute this to either the all-year long summer weather or the students themselves. You see skateboarders working on physics and surfers working on writing books, it really is a great experience for the open mind. I'm so happy I never went out of state for college. I was able to make new friends that came to Hawaii from all around the world and learn from people who lived here that I have never met before. Most of the teachers really care about their students, especially the young teachers, and the Laulima system brings the whole community together, in my opinion. If you're looking to go to school in paradise, meet amazing people, and study at the beach, go to UH Manoa.

Hanna

University of Hawaii at Manoa far exceeded my exceptions. The University in it's entirety is brimming with life. Students are eager to learn, and professors are passionate about teaching. Due to its spectacular location and top-class equipment, UH is one of the best places in the world to study for those interested in Marine Biology, or Astronomy. It is a top ranking University in many other areas of study as well. Everyone is so open and friendly, and the aloha spirit is extremely evident. You know you've found a great school when your only complaint is that you eventually have to graduate and leave.

Krysell

I think that University of Hawaii at Manoa is a good school. It's diverse and hold a culture. However it needs work on safety. The school is safe but there are some problems every so often that's why they have a escort you can call. My only other problem is the shuttle schedules.

Xenia

The University of Hawai‘i at Manoa is one of the universities I would recommend to a transfer student or an upcoming freshman. They have many activities going on. For example, on campus-dorm activities (barbecue, hike day, beach day, etc.) the whole school communities (welcome-back bash, aloha bash, cram jam, etc.) They offer a variety of majors/degrees to choose from. They transportation is also effective since the bus pass is already paid through our tuition and were able to use the bus during the school year as long as it’s renewed. Also, the campus center and dining halls are great for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. As well as the market by the Noelani Apartments where you can buy snacks, food, other home supplies if you’re in a rush or have late night cravings. There are also many sport games that students can go support and watch (football, volleyball, basketball, baseball, softball, etc). The university provides many clubs and they offer sororities. Furthermore, I really enjoy and love being here at the University of Hawai‘i at Manoa.

Peyten

I think that it is a great school. It has a beautiful campus, good faculty, and is generally a fun school. I do not regret coming here at all. I will be so upset once I graduate and return back home to Texas. There are some things that could use improvement, but overall I love it.

rach

large, you are one of thousands

Jesslyn

UH Manoa is not a party college, however, nor is it particularly focused on academics, sports, or the arts. It's somewhat average in every aspect apart from the atmosphere. It is easy to relax and this college and although there aren't as many opportunities to grow, those who enter this college are able to adjust easily.

You show up to the University of Hawaii at Manoa for three very specific reasons. First, you're from there and you're commuting which saves a ton of money. Second, you love the idea of studying at the beach or island adventures. Third, you have an athletic scholarship. Still you fall in love with the school; it's beauty and flaws. At the end of four years you will be sad to leave the island once your academic journey is over.

Anna

My overall opinion of University of Hawai'i at Mānoa is mixed. I really appreciate the enthusiasm and encouragement that I've gotten from some of my professors, and I have encountered many different teaching styles. The university boasts a very diverse student body and faculty, and there are many dedicated researchers employed in various departments. However, I'm disappointed with the current state of class availability, particularly regarding the biology/microbiology departments. Trying to graduate in four years is difficult enough for many students without the added obstacle of having classes pulled from the catalog that were once considered pertinent to their major. We should have spent more money employing professors to educate our students BEFORE building a brand-new recreation center.

Vanda

The campus has lots of trees and is very refreshing and beautiful to be around. My teachers are all accessible, knowledgeable, and encouraging to the further learning of their students which I sincerely appreciate. They are there to help you become better.

Chelsey

The University of Hawaii at Manoa is a diverse and welcoming campus. There are students from all over the world hat choose to study at UH. The campus is filled with friendly and helpful students and faculty. UH allows local students a way to stay home for college while providing an excellent education and the school attracts a lot of outsiders as well.

Aiyana

I currently am loving my experience here at UH Manoa. Every professor I've had is a perfect balance of being stern and also approachable, which I value. Not only are the professors awesome, Hawaii has it all. When you want to get away from campus you're in paradise. If you want to stay on campus, there is always events in the courtyard of the freshmen towers or on campus. It's also been a positive culture shock because although it's still apart of the US, the culture here is very different. It has opened my eyes and allowed me to views things in a different perspective I would have never seen.

Halle

I really love it here. All of my classes are great so far, with engaging professors and helpful TA's. There are hundreds of different classes to take, so there is something for everyone. We have a little bit of everything, nursing, art, language studies, geology, sociology, and more. There are tons of extracurriculars happening as well. You can't swing a cat without hitting some kind of club or event that's happening. Just walk around campus and you'll find flyers and tables of people just waiting for you. Food is really good here, better than you would expect. Thursday nights are the best, with premium dishes such as steak, Korean BBQ, and specialty items. The campus is extremely safe, rated in the top 75 safest schools in the United States. If a student is alone at night, they can request that security comes and picks them up and drops them off at their dorms.

Chaden

Honestly the resources given to students are enough to survive the first year of college. After that you learn as you go and after a year you should be okay to walk on your own. Students like me who are not doing any sports still get much attention from counselors and academic advisors to make sure we are all having a good transition from high school to college. I like attending class here, but being that I'm not into any clubs it's a little hard to make friends. Eventually you learn that in order to get anything from college you need to speak up and that's what's helped me survive my first year, coming up to up to my second year.

Natalie

As you progress the classes and professors get better; however at the beginning of my college experience I struggled to keep up because of the Hawaiian lifestyle. When attending this college its important to keep in mind that you are here for school, make sure you complete your homework before going to the beach!!

Alyssa

I like that there are many ways to get to know this campus. It is something I was always looking at since I became a junior in high school. There are tours and new recreational places to go to and the people on campus are all very helpful and nice. Teachers are pretty helpful and can explain things without having to go overtime for classes. It is a very easy and simple campus to learn and be able to go to place to place, without too much of a hassle.

Alison

UH Manoa is a great school with so many different options to choose from. Lots of different majors, people who become your friends for life and shops for food and clothing nearby.

Alexia

University of Hawaii at Manoa is a big campus with a lot of diversity among the students. There's a lot of school spirit and representation of the school as well as the state. UH Manoa is really close to the beach, and has amazing views of the mountains and scenery of Hawaii. The food is diverse with many options for eatery. Students are very helpful with directions and open to meeting others and including new people. Professors and advisers heavily encourage students to get help and guidance for classes in order to graduate on time. The campus as a whole is open to help any individual under any circumstance they would be under, and essentially does feel like an Ohana.

Christian

Overall, the school is pretty average. I think the university ought to invest a lot more in improving the campus and in making the cost of attendance more affordable. Also, many of the instructors don't seem to put in the time necessary for students to really do well. There are a lot of professors who only focus on teaching their higher-level courses well and don't put as much effort into the lower-level courses.

Alandra

When kids think of UH Manoa, they think that it's going to be the perfect school; because what else is better than college in Hawaii, right? The idea of UH Manoa is nothing other than perfect to most prospective students - the truth is that UH Manoa is not all up to par. The school spends it's money in the wrong places, which is frustrating because it is such a high cost to attend the university. For example, our football team is one of the lowest ranked college football teams right now but they still receive mass amounts of funding while the board just released a list of too many art programs and classes they're cutting. Our buildings are falling apart, so classes are uncomfortable and annoying to sit in - whether it's because the ceiling is falling down or the room is too hot or too cold. The school can fund campus security and give them all dodge chargers though, and for what? Why does campus security need to drive around brand new chargers? A large statue in front the engineering building on Dole Street was recently painted red for no reason. Why are we spending on things like this when there's clearly so many other problems with the school that are directly impacting students and faculty? The location of this school is beautiful, and there's nothing else like the views. The system within the school is what's corrupt.

Frederick

The University of Hawaii at Manoa offers a unique experience for the students who attend. Its the only Division 1 university in the state of Hawaii. As far as sports, they get a lot of attention because they are basically "Hawaii's team". There are no professional sports teams on Hawaii so all the athletic attention goes to high school and UH Manoa. Overall the school could make lots of improvements but the opportunity to live and go to school in paradise is invaluable

Zoe

The campus and dorms need help, seriouly the apartments they are demolishing now should have been demolished a decade ago or more. It was very health hazardous with the paint falling off of the ceilings, mold all over the bathroom, cabnet handles falling off, and bugs crawling through the cracks in basically everything. A good college for majors like business, marine sciences, language, but lacking in other areas, especially arts. If you saty at the dorms you can take a 15-20 mintue walke to longs, 7-eleven, a few food places, and an ice cream place, so laocation is okay for the first few months. Bus system in slow and unreliable, but convienient.

Jen

Its great

James

It's college in Hawaii, what else do you want?

Vasant

UH Manoa can be a tremendous school! There are some great facilities on and off campus for extracurricular activities. The public transportation in the area is extensive and useful. There are always multiple excellent professors in each department. Although there are definitely aspects of the school that are underfunded, the students and faculty that make up the school are first-rate!

Sheridan

Going to a university in Hawaii does not sound like a bad decision. Beaches are close by and good weather ninety percent of the year makes coming to school here sound like the best choice. However, the school still has some negative aspects I would like to cover. First of, the price we pay for school we do not know or see how those fees help or affect us. A lot of buildings on campus, especially housing, are extremely old and dirty. It hurts us students to see us struggle to pay living in such an expensive place to see the school in such bad shape. Another negative is the food options. There is not much healthy food options around campus, especially for vegetarians or vegans. On the plus side, we get to live and learn about Hawaiian culture with professors from all over the world. Most professors take on the "Hawaiian timing" of being relaxed and going with the flow. I do not regret my decision of going to school here, but I do feel like Manoa needs to take care of the school and students more.

Patricia

My experience at the University of Hawaii at Manoa has been a great one so far. The teachers, instructors, and professors have always been accessible, which is beneficial to my learning and to being successful. Overall, being able to choose my classes best fit for my major is the best part about being a student at Manoa.

Trish

Safety is the worst here. Security escorts at night can take over 30 minutes to reach you sometimes. With all the reports of sexual harassment/assault occurring, who wants to stand outside at night on this campus waiting for 30 minutes for security? If you are sexually abused, don't rely on this university's Title IX office. It's a joke. They give you false hope and support only to stab you in the back and let the person who sexually harassed/assaulted you win. Title IX does not care if you are the victim. They will twist all the information around and not check for reliability of the accused person's witness. Obviously, if you are accused of sexually harassing/assaulting a student (which did not lead to actual rape), then it's extremely easy to get a close friend who is biased towards you and have them tell lies to Title IX. Title IX will simply believe everything this person says if their story matches up with the accused. This university is a joke. They do not care about your safety nor do they care about how it impacts your mental health and education. They. Do. Not. Care. They only want money and they do not want to punish an offender because it is too much work. They do the easy way out all the time. Do your research on this school. Read up on news of the many sexual abuse cases this university has mishandled for years. It is a clear problem that has not been addressed for a long time. If you want a safe school that will protect you from sexual abuse, DO NOT come here. You are not safe here. On the plus side, this university's counseling services are great. Thankfully! If this university has such terrible protection from sexual abuse, then they should at least offer good counseling services for students who are suffering from their trauma. Overall, do not come to this college if you want to feel safe. I regret it so much and would like to transfer to a different college.

Tiani

Overall the University of Hawaii at Manoa is such a great school to be at. There is always nice people and the classes are always welcoming. The food is good but they close ind of early other than the on campus dining halls. The class sixes are good and theres always something to do at the campus center throughout the day.

Kaimana

The University of Hawaii at Manoa is an amazing diverse schools with multiple career classes. although some of the facilities seem outdated as well as the technology (computers) and the campus sidewalks are also cracked and harsh looking. But overall, UH is a very amazing and well rounded school to attend and I'm a proud attendee of the University of Hawaii at Manoa.

Jim Frog

Lots of older people walking around campus. The library is extremely dated, and the most updated facility is the Gym. The library is a public library and is small. Plus most students living on campus don't have airconditioning in their rooms so they try to go there. Students here are the laziest students I've ever seen in my life. I transferred from Orange Coast College (community) I saw 100 times more dedication from the students. The food is terrible and gives me diarrhea every time I eat there. The professors suck they go too fast through slides. The laid back culture on this campus leads to students officially not getting anything done, and just slacking off. The staff is not catering at all to the students. The campus is broken down everywhere, and old. Everything closes early on campus and there is barely any clubs or frats. The students on this campus act like its highs school still and immature like kids. I personally don't think they are going anywhere in life. LOL. I'm about to transfer out to maybe Univerisity of Alabama or Georgia for a better college environment. Some students act rich but they are just here because of the WUE. LOL. This is like a crappy community college, with fake/plastic/artificial classmates, that pretend to be cool and lie to fit in. The frats are a joke. I'm transferring ASAP!!! Nobody here takes their education seriously. Loser people. Anyways good luck!

Camille

My overall opinion of UH Manoa is great! From the first time I stepped on campus, you can feel the positivity and buzz of students all around. There are tons of clubs and activities to do all around the campus, students and faculty are very nice and caring. With every college, you are going o find the issues, but UH has become a home away from home for me. I feel very comfortable on the campus, I love my classes and have already met people that I know will be in my life forever! You will not regret coming to UH. Being here has truly allowed me to experience the aloha that most people to Hawaii in search of.

Rina

UH Manoa has many study options for students for being in such a small place. The academics are just as challenging and versatile as those from mainland campuses. It's a great place of higher education for those from Hawai'i and those from outside. You get a good education while experiencing the island lifestyle.

Joey

The University of Hawaii at Manoa is a pretty good school. Aside from the fact that it's in Hawaii, UH Manoa has pretty nice facilities, especially the Recreation Center; although some classes are a bit older and have no air conditioning. Overall its a pretty great school to attend.

Lindsey

I could not imagine going anywhere but to this University. I am an out of state student and I find this University to be a home away from home. I find the academics to be above average and the professors are here for the students. Out side of school the there are more activities that I could even being to count. We are in a very lucky location close to a popular city. We are surrounded by many beautiful beaches and hikes that are to die for, that is saying a lot too since I am from Colorado. The resources on this campus have everything you need in order to succeed in anything you want to do. There is a huge resourceful library and a recreation center that is any workout frenzy person would love to train in. Also, there are resources on campus that help us learn about the culture here in Hawai'i. This, I believe, is one of the most important places on campus because we are living in a place with a very unique culture that not many people know about so we get to experience and learn how to change with our environment and the culture that we are living amongst.

Kelsie

It is a nice school but the facilities are not kept very well. The recreational center is very nice and the people tend to be sociable and welcoming. Class size is usually really big and the teacher student relationship is not the best. Collegiate level sports are pretty exciting, mostly basketball and volleyball.

Morgan

All in all, I’d say Manoa is a decent school. Most professors care about their students and make the classroom an exciting atmosphere. The facilities are okay, student dorms are horrible. Review after review says how moldy all the rooms are. No one recommends living on campus. Food is delicious and multiple options available. Staff is kind as well.

Julia

Nice school with nice people. Definitely tons to do outside of class. Housing facilities are pretty old and really need a lot of maintenance. Something (especially elevators) is always broken. Professors are generally really easy to talk to, especially if you're having an issue in class.

Sarra

UH Manoa is one of the most beautiful campuses I have ever been to. The faculty and students are always bright with excitement and the food is delicious beyond expectation. The only thing I would like besides all these things, are newer facilities and a bigger recreation center to accommodate for all the people living a healthy lifestyle.

I think that the University of Hawaii at Manoa offers opportunities for students to grow and to get involved in different activities. I chose this university because it offered so much for me to learn in the Korean language and I was able to meet other students who are dedicated to the betterment of their academic knowledge and personal growth.

Kylie

As a college freshman I am still getting the hang of things, however, I do enjoy UH Manoa. I love my campus and almost everyone I have met has been an delight. The weather is almost always perfect and the shuttle takes us straight to the beach! I am so glad I chose UH Manoa!