Kahului, HI
University of Hawaii Maui College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Hawaii Maui College

Caitlin

The University of Hawaii Maui College is a great place to complete foundation classes and get a better view of the different majors and opportunities that are ahead in your academic career. Science classes are limited, however if you stick to your counselor's advice and the game plan you can complete a lot of core classes. There are many tutoring opportunities and ways to get help for any situation.

Abbey

It is a lovely place to begin your college journey. The island is beautiful and the city of Kahului is a perfect location for this community college. Since it is the only college of any type on the island of Maui, the fact that it is so progressive and well-maintained is very commendable.

Cherith

My overall opinion of my school is that it does provide a good stepping stone into the next phase of my life, however, like any school, there are a few teachers who could help out their students a little more. The people here are very helpful and, when asked, go the extra mile to give the correct information and try their hardest for a better life.

Kailiahi

Don’t come for the school, come for the island. A lot of the students here are people who can’t leave home due to relational or family reasons. Other people are just people who love to surf and skate. Because of that, the professors tend not to be self absorbed and most are out to save you money.

Tikki

It is a good school to start from then to branch off. It is a safe campus and the whole feeling of having a family with the students and staff. There is always an event going on in a week. During finals and midterms there is a coffee and bagel station free for students. The class rooms are fairly small and the teachers really do care about you. Shopping is okay here but come on we are in the middle of the Pacific Ocean and have beautiful beaches. We mostly spend our free time out in nature.

Sydnee

The University of Hawaii Maui College was a great beginning for my college years ahead of me.

Study hard and take the advice of your teachers. Practice good study skills and make a sleeing schedule that best benefits you and your brain. Have breakfast every morning, even if it's a protein bar and protein shake. Do not worry about what other people are doing and how they are doing things. Come up with your own method and do work that you would want to read or review.

The best thing is the size of the classes; most of them are decent and not too big. I got to make a lot of new friends and got to know my teachers as well. The teachers were always willing to help and the students were always helpful too. A smaller class size means a better opportunity to understand what the teacher is trying to teacher and understand the assignments better.

Mandy

My classmates have all been so wonderful carrying out their own and unique personalities, but I have learned and grown from each individual I have come into contact with. I had no problems with making new friends at this college because they were all striving to pursue a lifelong career so focused and driven to succeed and complete the necessary requirements to pursue their majors. We were people from different ethnic backgrounds but we were very open and supportive to one another. I really enjoyed the group studies with my classmates and getting involved as a whole with the community.

The best advice I would give is to prioritize, prepare, and plan your transitioning into college. It is important to not be discouraged but to sell yourself to qualify for financial support. I encourage you to make that time and effort to be involved with clubs, sports, activities, community, in supporting a resume that will come in handy for your future. It is important to seek for academic counseling to help direct you in a lifelong career. Focus on your studies and make it a goal to maintain a consistent high GPA. Learn as much as you can in liberals such as math, history, science, english that will magnify and benefit your prerequisites for college. Work closely with your teachers because they see the potential in you who has helpful advice in taking the little steps to lead you to the big picture. Enjoy your highschool years but prepare yourself now by knowing what you would like to do to benefit the future. As you open yourself a door opens with bright ideas to guide your ideal career that will potentially bring out the best out of you and make you happy in the long run. Know your self worth.

The best thing about UH Maui college in despite of all the other great colleges around the world, that it was a smooth transition right after I graduated from highschool because it was very small and personal. You have a better advantage of working closely to the professors honoring and respecting your choice of career. It was affordable than other schools providing the necessary requirments needed to obtain your degree or help further your education into another school. Hawaiis Aloha spirit allows us to make friends and view and hear different insights molding and shaping your lifelong career.

JORDAN

For being the only College in Maui. For its culinary program.

For being the only College in Maui. For its culinary program.

If I could tell my high school self something today, I would tell him to take high school seriously. Do well in high school and you will not need to take 2 years at a community college to build a strong academic record and transfer to your top university choice. I learned that the senior year of high school is vital when it comes to transitioning to college. Make sure that you do as much planning and research on colleges to find the best fit for you. Do not put so much emphasis on finding out the right major because you will have adequate time in college to find the perfect field for you. Make sure that you stay on track with college applications and SAT testing dates. Find 3 colleges that you are willing to attend and keep important dates (i.e., application, transcript deadlines). Do not worry about how you will afford college because there are numerous resources out there and the lots of organizations will be willing to help. You just have to research extensively. Do not let financial problems get in the way of a good education. Oh, and breath through all the process.

Lazy people or people who do not have the determination to learn or get back into college.

Laakea

Being the only college on Maui, I never seriously considered attending another school until after experiencing the downfalls of UH Maui. What is unique, though, about UH Maui is that it is gearing toward sustainable living in the islands.

Don't procrastinate because time will fly. The next thing you know, you'll be like me, going to college after a ten year absence because you chose to try to make a life without a college degree. If I had spent those ten years wisely, I could have a master's or doctorate by now. Instead, I'm back in the classroom, starting from scratch at 28 years old. In today's economical climate, a college degree is a necessity for many careers that provide a living wage. Don't chase the "short money" like I did. Working construction payed well, but as I now know, the construction industry, like countless others, puts its workers on a rollercoaster that many like myself are not prepared for. Going to college allows you to chase that "long money". Sure, it may take longer to pay off, but the fruits of your labor will last a lifetime. Besides, wouldn't you rather go to a job you love rather than one you need? Even if you aren't sure what field of study you want to pursue initially, getting started is half the battle. So start applying for schools and scholarsips now.

The fact that there are only three or four bachelor's degrees offered, which means we must relocate off-island for most majors. Also, not many course credits are transferrable, even within the University of Hawai'i system.

Kelsie

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a senior, there is a lot of advice I would give myself. Knowing what I now know about college life. I would tell myself to pay attention a lot more. In high school, students tend to slack off because we dont find the material useful. I remember saying to myself, when am I ever going to need to know this kind of information in the future. Well being in college has made me realize why. The teachers were just trying to prepare us for college life as well as the real world. By doing math problems they were teaching us how to eventually be able to solve different types of problems in the real world and come up with our own solutions for them, because you're not always gonna have someone there to tell you what to do. In the end, you make your own decisions. I believe that high school really prepared me for college. So if I knew how much highschool was actually helping me, I would have definitely payed more attention.

Overall I like the atmosphere of the school. If I had to pick something I didnt like it would be that there aren't as much choices as I would like there to be for classes. The school is also much smaller than others.

The kind of person that should not attend this school, is someone who doesn't want to go to a small college. Compared to other colleges, UHMC has a much more calmatmosphere and has a smaller enrollement then others.

University of Hawaii Maui College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.