University of Hawaii-West Oahu Top Questions

Deja-chrisselle

The adivce I would tell myself is to learn how to be calm an not panic. I would let myself know its okay to not know everything thats going to happen and that I can not control everything. I would learn how to love myself and not be someone I'm not. I would be able to accept the fact that I can not be good at every subject but as long as I try my hardest then thats all the matters. I would say to myself "cherish the time now you have with your friends because as you get older you start drifting apart". The most important adivce I would give myself is its okay to cry every now and then but always remeber to be greatful and learn how to have fun and not worry so much because life will go by fast and experinces will shape the person you are becoming.

Dustin

I would tell myself to make the most of the whole experience. It is important to really be there, not make a half fast effort. I was half there and half somewhere else. If I could find a way to escape, I did. I think it is important to really absorb the knowledge available, the discipline to study and to go the extra mile in every endeavor. My study habits have now proven, how to gain the A's I always dreamed of. I believe the only stupid question is the one you don't ask. I would tell myself that you are as good as the next person and you deserve to be able to get just as much help and consideration. I would also tell myself to get involved and to have friends I could be accountable to. Extra curricular activites and sports are there to expand the person, you really are. It is important to take advantage of your school years, they are what designs your future. I would also tell myself that I have enough time to be a grown up. Then we hit the real world and have to earn a living. Savor your time.

Giselle

Dear High School Self, College is not what you're expecting it to be. It's more liberating, in a way. You get to choose the classes that you want on the days and times that you want. You can leave campus when you want, and you can even skip classes (though it's not recommended, so don't do that). You can wake up later and only go to one class a day if you want. College is great. You may be confused about what you want to do. You're thinking about psychology, which is good, but don't forget that you love music. You are IN love with music, so keep that in mind. But ultimately, it doesn't matter because you'll figure it out along the way. What does matter is where you go. My advice to you is to apply for scholarships, financial aid, loans, grants, anything you can. That way, you can stay in California and go to school there. UH West Oahu is great, but your heart is in California. Don't underestimate yourself. If you work for it, it'll be in your hands. Never stop working. Signed, Your College Self.

sharon

Keep your eye on the prize. What seems like a lifetime now is only a second in time. The more you learn , the more you earn which will affect your whole life. Only you can determine what you will get from the experience, make the most of the time and soak up the knowledge and experiencing as if you were a sponge.

Alexa-Ashley

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, knowing what I know now about college life and making the transition, the advice I would give myself would be that I should have taken more advanced classes. I should have taken more advanced classes because I would have been more prepared on college and I would have a sense of college work. Going into college not knowing what to expect really freaked me out a lot because teachers assigned tasks that made me really think and work hard on.SSo college really intimidated me and really pushed me to the limit where I wasn't use to. In high school, I didn't really have those kind of classes because I chose the easy way out by taking regular core classes that don't push you as much and doesn't make you think deeply. So if I could go back into time, thats the best advice I should have given myself.

Margarette

Since I had experience the first year of my college life this year, I realized it wasn't easy at all as I expected compare to high school. There's a huge difference especially when it comes to the level of class works & homework. It takes a lot of responsibility & effort to complete each of your subjects. One thing that I had struggle during my first year in college is to maintain a high gpa & received a high grades in my classes. In fact, college is all about being a self-directed learner student; its all about being an independent person where you cannot depend on someone else. Apparently, the most thing that I hated doing in high school is to read an A.R book because I dislike reading books especially when its not an interesting topic at all. So throughout my semesters in college, I had to work really hard & put a lot of effort to do well in my exams, which allows a lot of reading comprehension. In that case, If I can go back in time, I would probably read more books & take the time to actually understand the main ideas and concept of each story.

If I could go back in time I would encourage myself to be more active. My senior year was not what it could have been because I was not that active in campus life, something that I am working hard to make up for in college. I was a part of the Naval Junior Reserve Officer Training Corp but I did not make any real friends and I did not take advantages of all the opportunities I had. The thing I regret the most about my senior year is that I didn't make any solid friends. I have grown a lot in college and now enjoy several strong friendships but I can never make up for lost opportunities in high school. I would also tell myself not to be so nervous about the future and what I planned to do with my life. Things worked out well and I can't spend my life regretting past mistakes. All I can do is keep moving forward and keep from making the same mistakes again.

charlotte

I'd advice myself to be better prepared for the academic challenges and expectations at the college level and to take academics more seriously. I'd recommend a small school like University of Hawaii West Oahu because individual attantion is a focus on this campus.

Brenda

Don't allow the fear of Math learning disabilities to hold you back from achieving your goals. You need to just push through the pain and frustration because you are going to have a successful life. Start at the community college level and work your way up. Study and apply yourself because the future is bright. No matter how hard it gets, no matter how you get there just reach for the stars because you're going to make it. Don't worry about getting into a relationships; just concentrate on the goal of the journey . Friends won't always be there. Money can come and go, but no one can take education away from you. The struggle to get the degree will be worth it. Just walk one step at a time and believe in your ability to succeed because you will succeed. Your life will be whatever you choose. Good or bad. If you believe you can...you will. Just put one foot in front of the other and walk fearlessly into your future.

Tina

Out of my college experience I have gotten that it is more than just a piece of paper. After completing my AA this last semester, I was surprised at the amount of pride I felt! For me it was aknowledgement that I had followed through with a commitment that I had struggled to complete in the past. I also learned the value of ceremonies, and am looking foreard to walking in the spring for my AA. Education is valuable for self-esteem, to open doors (sometimes you didn't even know you wanted open), and to open the mind (by literally changing the way the mind fuctions). I truly enjoyed the personal experience at Windward Community College, and am excited to be attending University of Hawaii - West Oahu for the Spring 2011 semester. I picked West Oahu because it was smaller and wanted to maintain the small community feeling that I felt at Windward. I am proud to finally be at a university after many years and can't wait to have my bachelors in my hand. Regardless if the degree itself is used or takes me elsewhere, I am looking forward to the sense of personal accomplishment.

Js

I still need to learn more in order to get a higher degree. There some friend of mine we go to college at the same time and it's like we are competing each other who will get the higher degree. Which some of them they already had one that are higher than mine.

College can be one of those defining experiences that causes a person to mature or it can be just another excercise in futility. It all depends on the mindset that it's approached with. I used to think that going to college was a status symbol or some kind of induction into adulthood. I went because it was the "expected thing to do." You were a bum -in-the making if you didn't go. I'm convinced now that societal pressure is a lousy reason to attend college and a poor motivator to succeed in it. For if there is little to no personal interest in taking classes, there won't be enough personal investment in them to achieve any measurable success. That takes stamina, which needs inspiration in order to grow. It was when I became inspired to become a counselor that I saw the purpose of college for myself. The classes seemed less like aimless drudgery and more like a meaningful use of God's time. This last semester I formed some incredible friendships and began applying what I learned to better my life, and hopefully, help others with theirs.

Meleana

It has taken me over 10 years to graduate with an AA in Liberals Arts and now I am enrolled full time in the BA of Business Administration program. I am thrilled that I am able to continue my education at this stage of my life. College has allowed me to look at life with an open mind. It has taught me that knowledge is everything and without it I would not be able to take care of my children and help them with their education. Education has been valuable in helping me find a job and maintain my credibility in my professional and personal life. I am taken seriously because of attending college and know that with education you can achieve anything, anytime, and anywhere.

Chandler

Taking online classes has really opened my eyes to what can be achieved by someone as busy as myself. In the few situations where I have gone to the school for enrollment and assistance, the staff has been friendly and helpful opposed to what I previously belived I would encounter. The knowledge I have obtained in this previous semester has enlightened me, improving my critical thinking skills and giving me the tools I need to advance my career and run my business smoothly. Furthing my education lets me grab hold of the wheel and steer my life in the direction I want to go.

Most importantly, I have gained a lot of responsibility attending college. I was forced to work full-time to save up enough money to actually attend, and have been attending school full-time and working about thirty hours a week since. I believe that having a degree shows responsibility, motivation and most importantly drive. Growing up I watched my single mother struggle with bills and children working overtime every week just to make ends meet. After watching her struggle, I decided that I had to accomplish myself as a college graduate. Having a degree shows responsibility simply because as a young adult you are showing that your future matters to you and you are willing to do whatever it may take to make a good life for yourself (even if it may be working nearly part time and attending school full time.) Also, motivation because at times you just want to give up and just work because you need the money but you continue because you know that without a degree you do not have a bright future. And finally, drive because you sacrifice so much for so many years and you know that it's worth it.

jamar

So far my experience has been more then fulfilling it’s been a pure adventure. I have soaked up and filled my mind with a array of new Techniques to my art work and how I conduct myself when I’m creating. I have interacted with my teachers with a more hands on level and they interacted with me its taught me a lot about myself and what I’m capable of as a student as artist. I have gained a better respect for the game industry and the other artists who work so hard to bring the world a vision as well as the stories yet to be told by my fellow classmates and me. It has really been valuable to me because my father wasn’t able to attend college like he wanted to and my mother had other obligation so I’m doing something to make them and myself proud.

Stepping in college had shaped and molded my personality towards adulthood. College provided me with counselors that gave me sound advice--not just what I wanted to hear, but what I should hear. My teachers provided me with standard lectures and facilitated service-learning option so that we can practice what we learned into real-life situations and help the community at the same time. Through helping others, I bonded with classmates and mentors, and learned valuable socialization skills of forging friendships and networks within our fields of study. College experience had also taught me the value of time and financial management; for example, scheduling responsibly the study time and "fun" time. Personally, the most important lesson that college has taught me is the self-realization of strengths and weaknesses. Knowing my strengths gives me confidence and acknowledging my weaknesses gives me the chance on work on improving them. More than just a diploma and a degree, college experience has provided insights to future goals, networks of friends and mentors, and self-actualization tools for sucess both in and out of the workplace.

Kaira

Study hard and dont play around. Take classes serious. Pay attention in class, so you dont have to repeat classes later on in life.

Blessie

Learning all that I have learned now, I would definitely inspire myself to take advantage of the opportunities given to me. As a High School Senior, I was afraid. I was afraid of going to school on the Mainland because of the cost and because of the fact that I'd be starting all over again. Especially because of the fact that I'm from Hawaii where everyone's friendly and hearing about the Mainland and how it's tougher. However now that I've experienced college life in Hawaii, I'm realizing that I want more. I want more experiences. I'm realizing that in order to challenge myself to see how well I can do, would be to have the real college experience in the Mainland. In order to do this, I would have to motivate myself. Despite all the worries that I may have, I would encourage myself to take advantage of the opportunities, even though I may not know what challenges lie ahead of me. I would do this because I believe I am a strong enough person to endure all that is thrown in my direction.

dimples

To utilize the counselors or advisors in palnning your education needs and path. Picking the right major and following through with your plans. Also ask questions that will help you to acceed in your future and education. Research the right schools, compare schools and what they have to offer you as a student. Understand how to transfer to other universities and what is needed to imnplement these changes. I would have attended college right out of high school (istead of 10 to 20 years later). Do not apply for student loans unless you really need too. Know that there are lots of grants and scholarships to apply for instead of student loans. And also, apply on time and as much time as needed. Have a balanced life; make time and effort to study hard, don't put off family matters, events or activities (family first, very important), and put some money aside to help with the college books, registration (some money is better then no money) and other college needs. Most of all, have fun while you are atteding college and keep your balance of life.

Juanita

Considering what I know now about college life and making the transition from high school student to college student things currently would have been different. Coming from a small town I would advise students to attend community college first before attending a university away from their home. This will help with the transition process from being dependent students to independent students. Also, being focused and dedicated as well as being prepared for the college life is a must. You can easily be distracted from your goals in life.

Tera

As a high school student I got really good grades. I grew up in a family of five children and my parents did not have the money to be able to send any of us to college. Being that both of my parents did not have college degrees the idea of higher education was never really talked about as an option. High School to me was not a gateway to a brighter future and I ended up dropping out in junior year. It was not until I turned 23 years old that my husband who values education really supported and pushed me to stop working at a Subway Sandwiches and attend Maui Community College. If I could go back and talk to myself when I was in high school I would passionately explain to myself the importance of attending college. Not only to be able to gain a higher education and to earn more money but the importance of finding yourself, finding your interests and gaining important life experiences. I would explain that attending college even if you are from a poor family is very much attainable through scholarships, government grants, and student loans.

Tania

I would tell my high school self to trust myself, regardless of any outside influence which also includes parents and peers. Knowing that right out of high school I didn't have the focus or direction that my classmates had, I wanted to take a year off of school to either study abroad or work (some sort of productivity). Instead, for the last ten years I was juggling between making my mom happy and trying to get through school. College shouldn't be something you should "get through"; it's there for higher learning to get toward some goal. I eventually rediscovered my own interests and direction as an older, non-traditional student. Now that I have achieved that, I am more than determined to get there. I think I am better off after having found my own motivation within myself, and that's more important than doing what anybody says you should be doing or following some conventional pattern.