Houston, TX
University of Houston-Clear Lake

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Houston-Clear Lake

Jonathan

My Classmates are engaging, competitive, dutiful and accommodating.

My Classmates are engaging, competitive, dutiful and accommodating.

The University of Houston Clear Lake is best known for its affordability, diversity and size. Its diversity comprising of students ranging from whites, Latinos, Blacks and Asians is noticeable as you walk around Campus. This rich mixture of ethnicity provides a rich environment for learning and is a representation of the outside world. Apart from its diversity, its size is also a plus, with an enrollment of about 7643(Fall 2009). This translates to smaller classes having a high degree of teacher – student contact. Finally, compared to other Universities, an annual tuition of $4,892 is nothing less than awesome!

My college experience has been both challenging and rewarding! As a junior, holding a full time job to pay for tuition, I have been faced with many challenges. These challenges include getting to school on time, meeting up with school deadlines, buying textbooks and studying late at night – to mention just a few. These challenges, notwithstanding, made me to place a higher value on my education. I saw college education as an investment that must yield positive returns. Hence, I had to plan my life around tight schedules. This experience has made me a better organized individual and this reflects in my personal life and work. Apart from positively impacting my personal and work life, the college experience, has exposed me to a variety of cultures. This exposure has widened my worldview and has better suited me for a diverse work place. Finally, I mentioned earlier that I had a full time job, true. I wouldn’t have gotten my job if I wasn’t presently enrolled in college! Moreover, the knowledge gained from various classes has translated to greater usefulness and versatility in the work place. Therefore, my being in college has and will continue to benefit me economically.

jonathan

Varied, friendly and willing to help each other out in any number of ways.

Varied, friendly and willing to help each other out in any number of ways.

The greatest thing I've taken from college is that life is not always what you expect it to be but ultimately rewarding. People aren't simple stereotypes, they're nuanced and full of subtleties that makes life more enjoyable, classes weren't always what I expected but they always taught me something. That's what I think college should be. A place where students come and learn about what life has to offer as opposed to just another level of education.

That it's affordable, fairly close and has good job placement. In addition the classes are intimate and not crowded and taught by professors that seem to genuinely care about their students doing well. Also the companies that surround the campus are predominantly the places that students want to work when they graduate. Most of the things that a student needs are either a short walk or drive away from the campus and surrounding housing.

J

The college experience is important for a variety of reasons. The job market is becomming more and more competitive, so the need for an advanced education is increasing. Also, many opportunites for work-related networking are provided throughout the duration of a college career. These relationships can be invaluable to providing the connections one needs to establish themselves in the working world. Additionally, peer relationships are formed that can be part of a life long support system. Personally, I have benefited from the community service opportunites offered at my campus, the relevant speakers in my field of study, and the support of the professors who are encouraging to all students. The professors at my campus stress the importance of professional and personal integrity, and the need to strive to achieve our personal best. The University of Houston Clear Lake is an excellent campus to attend!

How many activites there are to be involved in. The campus has a lot of volunteer opportunities.

Currently this is an upper level campus for juniors and seniors, and is great for those who work.

Ian

I got several important things, if not more, from attending college. One of them is valuable contacts from friends and faculty, for future references and job offers if I need them. Another would be academic knowledge which is the primary know-how neccessary for my future career down the road. The most important thing I got from college was personal growth. Volunteering and reaching out to the community made me feel like I was doing something worthwhile and these types of things are something that cannot be taken away from the student, it all comes from initiative, a willingness to learn while trying new things, and of course, pursuing your higher education.

Ida

I have learned that no matter where people go in life there will always be people who will encourage and discourage you from achieving your dreams . I did not think I would find a discouraging instructor in college but I did. I am and have always been wheelchair bound but I choose not to let that stop me from achieving my dreams of becoming a teacher. I began taking education courses and in my first education class I felt singled out by the teacher. It was almost as if she did not want me in the class. I thought this was just all in my head until one day she told me that I would have to try extra hard to be special because no one would want to hire someone in a wheelchair over someone who is able-bodied. Although I have learned to have a tough skin this bothered me for days. Looking back I still do not know why she felt the need to say that but I have learned that no matter what I can do anything and just as well as everyone else, if not better.

I believe anyone has the capabilty to graduate from UHCL if they are willing and able to apply themselves in their studies and work hard. There are all types of reasons why not to continue your education but if furthering your education is important then someone should not let an obstacle hinder their success.

A person should not attend UHCL if they are not willing to work hard to graduate.

What I have gotten out of my experience at college is knowledge. The knowledge that I have acquired has made me a more mature and responsible person. Not to mention I also feel much smarter and confident than when I attended since high school. The reason I say this is because in high school I didn't make the good grades I do now which fall in the A and B ranges. Alot of the good grades I have now have to do with believing in my self and knowing that I can accomplish anything if I put my heart and mind into it. Being in college has been a great experience and still is because it has helped mold the person that I am today, which is a highly motivated, determined, passionate person. Before college I had no idea what I wanted to do with my life or where it would take me but I knew that I definitely wanted to go to college to do and be something important. Learning about new things makes me feel so empowered that I just love learning about all types of new things. I look at things with an open mind.

Sara

You will most likely be in classes with career-minded people

You will most likely be in classes with career-minded people

My college experience has taught me that I need to be more confident in myself and that I am capable of much more than I think. It took me a few years (and more than a few thousand dollars) to realize I should have chosen a different major that would have afforded me better opportunities upon graduating. I learned advisors are not forthcoming with realistic information about majors and career paths. College has been invaluable to me because I learned self-confidence, organization, and professional skills. College has also provided an opportunity to network with people in the same career field as me.

UHCL does not offer enough 7:00pm classes for graduate students

Natalie

What I have experienced at UofH so far is a fun class, great teacher, awesome counselors and a comfortable environment.

UofH Clearlake is a smaller campus than most other 4 year universities and because of this it offers a greater feeling of comfort. Every employee that I have delt with are very understanding and helpful. I would suggest UofH Clearlake to anyone whose next step is a 4 year college because it is a wonderful college to attend, the teachers are great, and the counselors are helpful. If your next step is choosing a college go to UofH Clearlake you wont regret it.

My college experience began early as I started taking a few extra credit courses in high school. My high school was excellent and prepared me for what was to come in my college classes. Some of my college classes have been difficult while others have been a breeze. I feel as though I have learned different strategies of working and studying based on the particular class I'm in. I have met many new people that I would not have been able to do if not in college. One of whom is now a dear friend of mine and the person who lead me into elementary education. I am so happy with my education classes and my courses are really getting me ready to be a teacher. Although my experience in college has been a little longer than I would have liked, I have come along way and learned a lot. I hope to be able to apply what I have received from my classes and apply it in the future for my class.

Abigail

My classmates are very dedicated to their education.

My classmates are very dedicated to their education.

College has taught me how to be more accepting of other cultures. Before I attended college, I was nervous and scared when I was around people with different backgrounds than me. Now I know more about them, and am able to see past the cultures to the person and learn more about the person.

Yolanda

My college experience has been on of my greatest achievements in life. When I decided to go back to college, I was a 35 year old single mother with a special needs child and I had just achieved a soberity of 3 months. The decision to return to college was very overwhelming; however, I persevere and graduated from Houston Community College with an Associates of Arts degree and I also graduated with Honors. My acceptance into the Social Work program at the University of Houston-Clear Lake was a phenomenal milestone. My strong dedication to my educational goals is represented in my 3.4 grade point average and I am proud to say I am still clean and sober after 4 years and counting. I can truly say that I am a miracle in progress and I am grateful for the many opportunites I have been given at the UH Clear Lake and I pray that this success will lead me to a brighter future.

I can honestly say that I have that I do not have any negative personal issues with the University of Houston-Clear Lake. However, I must say that I would like to see more Afrian-American studensts on campus and I am hoping the the University will push to recruit more minorites in the near future.

First, I wished I would have known aobut the external scholarships that were available for first-time students. Also, coming into the University of Houston-Clear Lake was a culutre shock at first; however, I have been able to adjust very well to my new surroundings. What was most frustrating at UH Clear Lake was learning about where the various classroom settings, bookstore location, accessing the WEB CT protocol and memorizing all of the user ID and password codes, which were at times unbearble; however, I now have a better understanding of the whole entire process of college life.

University of Houston-Clear Lake administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.