Houston, TX
University of Houston-Clear Lake

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Houston-Clear Lake

Gwendolyn

Most of my peers are professionals and range in age from 20 to 50 years young.

Most of my peers are professionals and range in age from 20 to 50 years young.

In attending UHCL, I have learned a wealth of information about life skills through my peers, professors, and internships. With my peers I have been able to practice my social skills by participating and learning in groups. Additionally, I have learned culture diversity from many of the students and events, such as theater, social gatherings, and festivals that are held at UHCL. All the professors at UHCL have a doctorate degree. They take the time to explain course work to students and make a point to be available either by email, by phone or office hours. There is student counseling available for all students and if a professor see’s that a student is struggling with course content the professor will recommend tutoring or counseling for help. I learned a great deal at UHCL that applies to real life situations and I decided to continue my Masters degree in Teaching - Curriculum and Instruction. I received hands on experience by working in a classroom setting, with a mentor for a year, before graduating. My internship was a valuable life experience. I look forward in completing my Masters degree and learning more about how to teach technology skills to students.

The worst thing about my school is there is not covered parking!

In my college experience I have gained valuable knowledge as a student and I have learned how to get from dreaming to making my dreams a reality. At Riverside Community College I have been offered many oppurtunities including visiting the university I intend to transfer to and being able to apply to their labs and meet instructors from the university and doctors from the university. Riverside Community College is an excellent community college to attand and truly the best one in my area.

maggie

I graduated high school in 2005 and didnt know what I wanted to study . I decided to take general classes in 2006 at a College in my hometown. I took classes to become a nursing student, and then realized that I would LIKE nursing, but not LOVE nursing. Someone once told me that in order to truly be good at what you do, you have to love what you are doing. I then began looking into other fields. I am now currently enrolled in the Radiologic Technology program and I love it. I am so glad that i didn’t rush into a career, but instead, decided to wait and find one that i will enjoy for the rest of my life. I have learned so much from my college experience. Things like the importance of deadlines, and responsibility. College has made me grow up tremendously. I am so happy that i am attending College. I love what i am learning and becoming, and i know that I will only have more opportunities later in life. I look forward to the day that I graduate, and feel the sense of accomplishment for all these years of hard work.

Caron

UH-CL provides a learning environment consistent with small class sizes, challenging academics, and professors who want to see you succeed.

My experience at UH-CL has been extremely rewarding. Being from a family of six children and parents with no college education I had to work full-time and attend school part-time early on. Thus it took longer to complete my college education than most students. Soon after completing my Associates Degree I met a wonderful man and put marriage and family as a priority over my college education. However, as my children became pre-teens and teenagers the urge to complete this education became stronger. Teaching and showing my children that we are never too old to fulfill our dreams was a wonderful bonding experience for myself and my family. In attending UH-CL, I was one of the older students in my classes. This afforded me the opportunity to mentor to the younger students struggling to discover what they wanted to do with their lives. Along with the quality education I received at UH-CL this opportunity to mentor and assist these younger students was one of the most rewarding opportunities I have had. Because of this I consider my time at UH-CL to be one of the most rewarding and valuable experiences I have had.

Jonathan

My Classmates are engaging, competitive, dutiful and accommodating.

My Classmates are engaging, competitive, dutiful and accommodating.

The University of Houston Clear Lake is best known for its affordability, diversity and size. Its diversity comprising of students ranging from whites, Latinos, Blacks and Asians is noticeable as you walk around Campus. This rich mixture of ethnicity provides a rich environment for learning and is a representation of the outside world. Apart from its diversity, its size is also a plus, with an enrollment of about 7643(Fall 2009). This translates to smaller classes having a high degree of teacher – student contact. Finally, compared to other Universities, an annual tuition of $4,892 is nothing less than awesome!

My college experience has been both challenging and rewarding! As a junior, holding a full time job to pay for tuition, I have been faced with many challenges. These challenges include getting to school on time, meeting up with school deadlines, buying textbooks and studying late at night – to mention just a few. These challenges, notwithstanding, made me to place a higher value on my education. I saw college education as an investment that must yield positive returns. Hence, I had to plan my life around tight schedules. This experience has made me a better organized individual and this reflects in my personal life and work. Apart from positively impacting my personal and work life, the college experience, has exposed me to a variety of cultures. This exposure has widened my worldview and has better suited me for a diverse work place. Finally, I mentioned earlier that I had a full time job, true. I wouldn’t have gotten my job if I wasn’t presently enrolled in college! Moreover, the knowledge gained from various classes has translated to greater usefulness and versatility in the work place. Therefore, my being in college has and will continue to benefit me economically.

jonathan

Varied, friendly and willing to help each other out in any number of ways.

Varied, friendly and willing to help each other out in any number of ways.

The greatest thing I've taken from college is that life is not always what you expect it to be but ultimately rewarding. People aren't simple stereotypes, they're nuanced and full of subtleties that makes life more enjoyable, classes weren't always what I expected but they always taught me something. That's what I think college should be. A place where students come and learn about what life has to offer as opposed to just another level of education.

That it's affordable, fairly close and has good job placement. In addition the classes are intimate and not crowded and taught by professors that seem to genuinely care about their students doing well. Also the companies that surround the campus are predominantly the places that students want to work when they graduate. Most of the things that a student needs are either a short walk or drive away from the campus and surrounding housing.

J

The college experience is important for a variety of reasons. The job market is becomming more and more competitive, so the need for an advanced education is increasing. Also, many opportunites for work-related networking are provided throughout the duration of a college career. These relationships can be invaluable to providing the connections one needs to establish themselves in the working world. Additionally, peer relationships are formed that can be part of a life long support system. Personally, I have benefited from the community service opportunites offered at my campus, the relevant speakers in my field of study, and the support of the professors who are encouraging to all students. The professors at my campus stress the importance of professional and personal integrity, and the need to strive to achieve our personal best. The University of Houston Clear Lake is an excellent campus to attend!

How many activites there are to be involved in. The campus has a lot of volunteer opportunities.

Currently this is an upper level campus for juniors and seniors, and is great for those who work.

Ian

I got several important things, if not more, from attending college. One of them is valuable contacts from friends and faculty, for future references and job offers if I need them. Another would be academic knowledge which is the primary know-how neccessary for my future career down the road. The most important thing I got from college was personal growth. Volunteering and reaching out to the community made me feel like I was doing something worthwhile and these types of things are something that cannot be taken away from the student, it all comes from initiative, a willingness to learn while trying new things, and of course, pursuing your higher education.

Ida

I have learned that no matter where people go in life there will always be people who will encourage and discourage you from achieving your dreams . I did not think I would find a discouraging instructor in college but I did. I am and have always been wheelchair bound but I choose not to let that stop me from achieving my dreams of becoming a teacher. I began taking education courses and in my first education class I felt singled out by the teacher. It was almost as if she did not want me in the class. I thought this was just all in my head until one day she told me that I would have to try extra hard to be special because no one would want to hire someone in a wheelchair over someone who is able-bodied. Although I have learned to have a tough skin this bothered me for days. Looking back I still do not know why she felt the need to say that but I have learned that no matter what I can do anything and just as well as everyone else, if not better.

I believe anyone has the capabilty to graduate from UHCL if they are willing and able to apply themselves in their studies and work hard. There are all types of reasons why not to continue your education but if furthering your education is important then someone should not let an obstacle hinder their success.

A person should not attend UHCL if they are not willing to work hard to graduate.

What I have gotten out of my experience at college is knowledge. The knowledge that I have acquired has made me a more mature and responsible person. Not to mention I also feel much smarter and confident than when I attended since high school. The reason I say this is because in high school I didn't make the good grades I do now which fall in the A and B ranges. Alot of the good grades I have now have to do with believing in my self and knowing that I can accomplish anything if I put my heart and mind into it. Being in college has been a great experience and still is because it has helped mold the person that I am today, which is a highly motivated, determined, passionate person. Before college I had no idea what I wanted to do with my life or where it would take me but I knew that I definitely wanted to go to college to do and be something important. Learning about new things makes me feel so empowered that I just love learning about all types of new things. I look at things with an open mind.

University of Houston-Clear Lake administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.