Houston, TX
University of Houston-Clear Lake

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Houston-Clear Lake

If I could go back and talk to myself as a senior, I think I would tell myself not to worry about deciding a major so quickly. My whole senior year I was worried about figuring out what I was going to do with my life, and I was only 17, that is a huge burden worrying about making a desicion for the rest of your life. I wish I could have known that not many college students know what they are going to major in, and that is okay. I also think I would tell myslef that if I wasn't serious about school, then to take off a semester. I think many students go to school because it is what their parents want, and they feel like that is what we are supposed to do, but I if a student isn't serious about an education then they will not do good. I know from experience. Now that I want it for myself, I am doing good in my classes, and I am excited about each new semester. That is what I would say, but I don't know how well my senior self listened to advice.

Since this is going to be my first semester at this school I can not really say what I think the worst thing is. I do know that I enjoyed my small classes at Community College, and I know that the classes at my new school are going to be much larger, so I am very nervous about that.

This is my first semester at a University, I have previously attended a Community College in order to get all my basics done. I think students should wait to attend a University until they know what they want to do and they are serious about getting an education. It took me a while to figure out what I wanted to do, and I think that is what Community Colleges are for, but a University such as the University of Houston, is for when you know what you want to do with your future.

Dorian

The emphasis from personality and potential to academic accomplishment or achievement in mathematics, reading, science and other subjects and skills. Achievement of individuals from all social classes, educational backgrounds, and cultures. Tests could show objective evidence of student progress, readiness, mastery of English and math, and employment skills. Students acquire the knowledge and skills they need to meet increasingly important standards and ready themselves for further learning in school. Foreign students often return home with the best training American university offer. The importance of high standards and scores are better recognized. the school has high academic standards.

If I could go back to the high school senior I would advice to myself to focus on my studies and study as hard as possible. I would tell my self to be discipline and more serious about my academics. I would tell to myself to read more and spend less time in hanging around with friends, TV and games. I wish I would have made better choice in friends and the activities I was involved. I would listen more to the advise from my parents, my teachers and the elders around me. I wish I could have graduated with a higher GPA if I had focus on my books. I would also tell myself to think about what I want to do with my life setting clear goals. Lastly, I would tell myself to take risks and don't worry about anything else or what everyone else says.

I always thought I knew exactly what I wanted. I think I could have made much better decisions in my life, especially financial ones, but I'm able to handle them. I wish I had known about the scholarships available at this school to apply on time. Also, I wish I had known what areas options were interest the most and learn about them. I wish I had known about volunteering opportunities, since in my school doesn’t really advertise very much about volunteering. In conclusion, I think studying abroad, GPA, and scholarship are the most important.

Brian

UHCL is the archetypal nature meets urban America school.

UHCL is the archetypal nature meets urban America school.

Listen kid, this whole anxiousness about moving away from home, not being near your old friends, not sleeping in your old room next to your kid brothers, and not getting to smell bacon and eggs that your mom makes for you in the morning, home-to-college transition awkwardness is just simply one of those "you live, you learn" dilemmas. You have to go through with it in order to overcome it and become all independent and cool. There is simply no way to get used to living your life a certain way without experiencing that firsthand. YOU'RE GONNA BE OKAY. In order to grow, in order to become that person you're dreaming of becoming, in order to not be a momma's boy anymore, and in order to get your own rad pad without having family withdrawal symptoms, you're gonna have to tough it up. You're gonna have to persevere and grind your teeth through the missing, the crying, and the homesickness. Again....IT'S GONNA BE OKAY. I have a feeling that in three years, you'll be used to it, and it'll be like you never went through such tough times. Love.

Being able to see deer if I walk a little bit from the campus grounds. Being able to sit on a grassy knoll and study there. Being able to eat cheap food. Being able to listen to cool tunes in my car each day as I drive an hour to school and back, which I've actually ended up really enjoying. UHCL is a great commuter school; they designed the classes for long-travellers.

John

When I was in high school I was very narrow minded about college. I viewed it as a task that I just needed to work through rather than a privilege. I only applied to one school (SUNY Buffalo) and thought of doing nothing else but the pre-med program. After a few semester of commuting I was miserable at the school. I felt like “a number” more than a student. I felt like I was really missing out on the whole college experience. I went to classes and went home that was it. My advice to my high school self would be to look into other colleges and dorm! I tell everyone that I know who is going to college to dorm no matter what. Living on campus would have been so much better. I would have made new friends and life as I know it now would be completely different (not that I do not enjoy it now though). As I visit friends all over at different schools I feel that I made a terrible mistake and missed out on a great life experience. The whole college experience is not complete without being away from home.

Jasmine

UHCL is a great, warming environment for students from many different backgrounds.

First of all, I would advise myself to be smart about the decisions that I would be facing soon. I would tell the younger me to stick with her gut and to go for education right off the bat, so that she would not still be in school four years later. More importantly, I would tell her to be careful in her new relationship (as I became pregnant one month after graduation). I would tell her that life will become rough, but to hold her head high and keep pushing forward with a smile. When it came to adjusting to life in college, I would tell her to sign up for organizations and attend school functions; to become more involved. To end, I would tell her that cancer is not to be reckoned with, and to make peace with the idea of those your love leaving your sooner than you would expect.

At the present moment, I feel the lack of printing access on school campus to be an issue. I feel this way because our professors require us to print quite a bit, yet we have been limited to the amount of pages that we can actually print. The discontinuity between the two is very stressful at times.

George

From flexible class schedules to extensively diverse curriculum, the university of Houston Clear Lake goes above and beyond to ensure it provides the learning opportunity to its students.

If I was to back to my senior year in High School, the first thing I would tell myself is, to make plans for college immediately and not procrastinate. I would remind myself to have a clear goal and a plan to reach that goal. I would remember to remind myself to have fun but not overdo it. I would identify all my strengths and build on them early on. I would also identify my weaknesses and work on reducing or eliminating them totally. I would seek advice and help whenever and wherever I can get it. I would choose a career path that is most interesting to me and pursue it dilligently to avoid wasting valuable time on other things. I would make sure I maintain a level head while experiencing the ups and downs that life brings along occasionally. I would recognize the fact that education is the key to countless doors of opportunities and that knowledge is power.

Flexible Class schedules. Holding a fulltime job can be tricky when you are trying to go to school fulltime. The university ensures that it offers classes tailor made to accomodate students with busy schedules outside of school. It offers late night and online classes.

jeffrey

The advice I would give myself is get better grades in high school,stay motivated and determined and keep a future goal always in mind.I would also tell myself to join teams or clubs and also get into the school spirit by being part of the school doing interships and going to a tutor for help or becoming a tutor.

Ryan

If I could go back I would tell my high school self, do the thing that makes you happy. Dont worry about what job is going to make you rich, stick to your passion. If you dont it will set you ack furthur than you think. Motorcycles are your passion start on them early in high school dont worry about taking the class for college preparation they wont help you work on bikes. take the vocational class, specificly small engines. Do that and you will be the happiest person you have ever meet. If you dont you will quickly find out that traditional college is not for you and you will feel like a failure. Not only that you will be behind the eight ball when it comes to getting a carreer type job. And oh by the way the girl you meet in your senior year, turns out she makes a very good wife and she is will to help you make your dreams come true.

Cynthia

The school community here at UHCL are more aware of your accomplishments. The profesors are very helpful, and always there to give you support. UHCL is a smaller University, that gives the opportunity for the student to be much closer to classmates and profesors.

If I had to go back in time, I will probably recommend myself to look for all possible information related to my transition to college. From grants, to scholarships that will help me pay for classes and books. Being well informed before you start college is a plus. I remembered when I first started I was lost. Asking questions to fellow classmates and counselors about my degree requirements and more. I would have to say that it is as easy as networking and looking for the right information to start your college year without any problems. I also remember, that as a senior year, I had around two classes or three for day; Now that I know, that I could of graduated with a High School Diploma and an Associates at the same time. Taking college classes in High School would probably have saved me time and money. College is as important as High School, but with a more serious vocation to graduate with a degree to start your dream job.

I really just started this semester and so far I am very happy with the environment and student involvment. The only thing that comes tomy mind is that is not as close to my house as I would like to, I drive around 2o miles to get there. Other than that is okay.

Terri

University of Houston - Clear Lake is great It is a small campus with small classes. It is easier to get one on one help if you need and easy to develop relationships with teachers and fellow students. Also, there are many organizations to participate in to really make you feel like you belong there.

I graduated high school in 1984. I did not go straight to college, choosing instead to work full time and have kids. I would not trade my kids for anything, but I regret not attending college first and getting the education and degree that could really be beneficial now later in life. I went back to school in the early 1990's and got my Associates Degree in Accounting. That was really tough - being a mom (single at that) and student. After the Associates degree, I did not continue further because of funds, schedules, help, etc. Now as an older student, returning to school is a challenge. I am thankful for the opportunity and am working very hard to succeed, but it is hard! It takes a lot of time and work completing assignments and projects and studying. If I could go back to when I was a high school senior, I would tell myself to stick with school and let life wait. Do it now and you will succeed later on in life. Take your time and focus - accomplish you goals. Never give them up for anyone or anything.

The worst thing I believe is the availability of classes. Some classes are only offered once a year and many classes are only offered once per semester. There are no other options for these classes as far as times offered to help organize a schedule.

University of Houston-Clear Lake administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.