Houston, TX
University of Houston-Clear Lake

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Houston-Clear Lake

Patric

I grew up in Reno, Nevada. A city of gambling drunkards for all I could see. High-school was not challenging. I excelled with little effort. It did not push me to apply myself, nor did it instill much hope of doing anything worthwhile with my life. I was withdrawn and self-destructive because the society I saw through my angry tears was filth, rot, and decay. After nearly dying in a car wreck, I had a "good excuse" to just survive. By then I was well into my addiction to marijuana and alcohol. I would not change that because today I teach others to stay sober. That worked out well when the flop met the river. I would, however, give myself hope. By teaching myself about accountability and discipline I would do my durndest to break my habits of procrastination and blaming the world. I would still say that degrees and diplomas do not make people. Grades and test scores do not say anything about character or what a person can achieve. Instead it is what I learn and how I apply it, so I would push myself to learn as much as possible from all aspects of life.

The professors, location, and classroom size. Because it is a commuter campus my classmates are all more mature and focused on learning. It also keeps the size of the classes down, so the classroom is more personal. My professors have all been very knowledgable, encouraging, and open minded. All these factors together create an intimate atmosphere that helps me focus on learning what I can in order to help other humans.

I cannot petition to take some graduate level courses that would be beneficial to me and the undergraduate courses don't include any applied counseling skills. I'm a Licensed Chemical Dependency Counselor and would like to enhance my skills by taking some courses in counseling, like group therapy, that are only offered at the graduate level. While I have had this training before and have been facilitating groups for 3 years, I feel I could always improve. Unfortunately, I have to accept the fact that I am still an undergraduate and must educate myself out of class.

Deahann

As a senior, I would go to college right after high school. In my opinion my life would be totally different if I would have persued my education. I did not realize until later in life how smart I am. I can honsetly say, I did not have that opportunity that my children have.

A new campus was built by my house and a lot of the classes are not available at night.

michael

If I could go back in time to when I was a high school senior and apply the knowledge that I know today, I would seek out a career counselor and ask them to explore and discuss with me, my abilities, how they relate to careers of my personal interests, and degrees that would help me establish those careers. Having some direction seems to be a tremendous asset for a young persons life. Career goals being established and achieved could have numerous positive effects on individuals lives and their communities.

I believe this campus is great for all types of students, especially those who work full time and need to take night classes. UHCL offers classes all week throughout the entire day, for all types of degrees.

Somebody looking for a large campus social atmoshpere would probably not want to attend this campus. Many students are here attending because it is convient with their work or family schedule. We do have events, just not like a large fout year university.

Please work hard and not goof off. You are going to be able to do it. It might take a while but dont give up. You are smart and you can acheieve what your heart desires.

It is a good school that understands a lot of their studetns work and have many evening and night classes. Most of the teachers are very helpful.

Carolina

My school is best known for their cultural events, we tried to celebrate every culture and learn about their traditions. You will mostly see international students in our campus and is very interesting to learn everyones culture.

I was an ESL student, so at my high school I was not advice to take some higher level courses & when I decided to attend to college it was so difficult for me to learn the material. If I was able to go back I would advice myself to take higher level courses to get me ready for college, than apply on time for scholarship and take some college courses while finishing high school because it will be an easier way to get use to college work and when graduating from high school have some college credits. Very important to participate on leadership clubs or events because colleges or universities like to see that a student is involved in clubs that will help them to continue with school. I would also advice to read and read books because teachers mostly ask you to write about a book that was interesting for you when you were in high school.

The most frustating thing about my school is the parking lot, every semester we have more students and our campus needs a bigger parking lot. The first week of school is very hard to find a parking lot and sometimes students carpool so we can find a parking lot.

If I could go back and talk to myself as a senior, I think I would tell myself not to worry about deciding a major so quickly. My whole senior year I was worried about figuring out what I was going to do with my life, and I was only 17, that is a huge burden worrying about making a desicion for the rest of your life. I wish I could have known that not many college students know what they are going to major in, and that is okay. I also think I would tell myslef that if I wasn't serious about school, then to take off a semester. I think many students go to school because it is what their parents want, and they feel like that is what we are supposed to do, but I if a student isn't serious about an education then they will not do good. I know from experience. Now that I want it for myself, I am doing good in my classes, and I am excited about each new semester. That is what I would say, but I don't know how well my senior self listened to advice.

Since this is going to be my first semester at this school I can not really say what I think the worst thing is. I do know that I enjoyed my small classes at Community College, and I know that the classes at my new school are going to be much larger, so I am very nervous about that.

This is my first semester at a University, I have previously attended a Community College in order to get all my basics done. I think students should wait to attend a University until they know what they want to do and they are serious about getting an education. It took me a while to figure out what I wanted to do, and I think that is what Community Colleges are for, but a University such as the University of Houston, is for when you know what you want to do with your future.

Dorian

The emphasis from personality and potential to academic accomplishment or achievement in mathematics, reading, science and other subjects and skills. Achievement of individuals from all social classes, educational backgrounds, and cultures. Tests could show objective evidence of student progress, readiness, mastery of English and math, and employment skills. Students acquire the knowledge and skills they need to meet increasingly important standards and ready themselves for further learning in school. Foreign students often return home with the best training American university offer. The importance of high standards and scores are better recognized. the school has high academic standards.

If I could go back to the high school senior I would advice to myself to focus on my studies and study as hard as possible. I would tell my self to be discipline and more serious about my academics. I would tell to myself to read more and spend less time in hanging around with friends, TV and games. I wish I would have made better choice in friends and the activities I was involved. I would listen more to the advise from my parents, my teachers and the elders around me. I wish I could have graduated with a higher GPA if I had focus on my books. I would also tell myself to think about what I want to do with my life setting clear goals. Lastly, I would tell myself to take risks and don't worry about anything else or what everyone else says.

I always thought I knew exactly what I wanted. I think I could have made much better decisions in my life, especially financial ones, but I'm able to handle them. I wish I had known about the scholarships available at this school to apply on time. Also, I wish I had known what areas options were interest the most and learn about them. I wish I had known about volunteering opportunities, since in my school doesn’t really advertise very much about volunteering. In conclusion, I think studying abroad, GPA, and scholarship are the most important.

Brian

UHCL is the archetypal nature meets urban America school.

UHCL is the archetypal nature meets urban America school.

Listen kid, this whole anxiousness about moving away from home, not being near your old friends, not sleeping in your old room next to your kid brothers, and not getting to smell bacon and eggs that your mom makes for you in the morning, home-to-college transition awkwardness is just simply one of those "you live, you learn" dilemmas. You have to go through with it in order to overcome it and become all independent and cool. There is simply no way to get used to living your life a certain way without experiencing that firsthand. YOU'RE GONNA BE OKAY. In order to grow, in order to become that person you're dreaming of becoming, in order to not be a momma's boy anymore, and in order to get your own rad pad without having family withdrawal symptoms, you're gonna have to tough it up. You're gonna have to persevere and grind your teeth through the missing, the crying, and the homesickness. Again....IT'S GONNA BE OKAY. I have a feeling that in three years, you'll be used to it, and it'll be like you never went through such tough times. Love.

Being able to see deer if I walk a little bit from the campus grounds. Being able to sit on a grassy knoll and study there. Being able to eat cheap food. Being able to listen to cool tunes in my car each day as I drive an hour to school and back, which I've actually ended up really enjoying. UHCL is a great commuter school; they designed the classes for long-travellers.

John

When I was in high school I was very narrow minded about college. I viewed it as a task that I just needed to work through rather than a privilege. I only applied to one school (SUNY Buffalo) and thought of doing nothing else but the pre-med program. After a few semester of commuting I was miserable at the school. I felt like “a number” more than a student. I felt like I was really missing out on the whole college experience. I went to classes and went home that was it. My advice to my high school self would be to look into other colleges and dorm! I tell everyone that I know who is going to college to dorm no matter what. Living on campus would have been so much better. I would have made new friends and life as I know it now would be completely different (not that I do not enjoy it now though). As I visit friends all over at different schools I feel that I made a terrible mistake and missed out on a great life experience. The whole college experience is not complete without being away from home.

Jasmine

UHCL is a great, warming environment for students from many different backgrounds.

First of all, I would advise myself to be smart about the decisions that I would be facing soon. I would tell the younger me to stick with her gut and to go for education right off the bat, so that she would not still be in school four years later. More importantly, I would tell her to be careful in her new relationship (as I became pregnant one month after graduation). I would tell her that life will become rough, but to hold her head high and keep pushing forward with a smile. When it came to adjusting to life in college, I would tell her to sign up for organizations and attend school functions; to become more involved. To end, I would tell her that cancer is not to be reckoned with, and to make peace with the idea of those your love leaving your sooner than you would expect.

At the present moment, I feel the lack of printing access on school campus to be an issue. I feel this way because our professors require us to print quite a bit, yet we have been limited to the amount of pages that we can actually print. The discontinuity between the two is very stressful at times.

University of Houston-Clear Lake administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.