Houston, TX
University of Houston-Clear Lake

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Houston-Clear Lake

George

From flexible class schedules to extensively diverse curriculum, the university of Houston Clear Lake goes above and beyond to ensure it provides the learning opportunity to its students.

If I was to back to my senior year in High School, the first thing I would tell myself is, to make plans for college immediately and not procrastinate. I would remind myself to have a clear goal and a plan to reach that goal. I would remember to remind myself to have fun but not overdo it. I would identify all my strengths and build on them early on. I would also identify my weaknesses and work on reducing or eliminating them totally. I would seek advice and help whenever and wherever I can get it. I would choose a career path that is most interesting to me and pursue it dilligently to avoid wasting valuable time on other things. I would make sure I maintain a level head while experiencing the ups and downs that life brings along occasionally. I would recognize the fact that education is the key to countless doors of opportunities and that knowledge is power.

Flexible Class schedules. Holding a fulltime job can be tricky when you are trying to go to school fulltime. The university ensures that it offers classes tailor made to accomodate students with busy schedules outside of school. It offers late night and online classes.

jeffrey

The advice I would give myself is get better grades in high school,stay motivated and determined and keep a future goal always in mind.I would also tell myself to join teams or clubs and also get into the school spirit by being part of the school doing interships and going to a tutor for help or becoming a tutor.

Ryan

If I could go back I would tell my high school self, do the thing that makes you happy. Dont worry about what job is going to make you rich, stick to your passion. If you dont it will set you ack furthur than you think. Motorcycles are your passion start on them early in high school dont worry about taking the class for college preparation they wont help you work on bikes. take the vocational class, specificly small engines. Do that and you will be the happiest person you have ever meet. If you dont you will quickly find out that traditional college is not for you and you will feel like a failure. Not only that you will be behind the eight ball when it comes to getting a carreer type job. And oh by the way the girl you meet in your senior year, turns out she makes a very good wife and she is will to help you make your dreams come true.

Cynthia

The school community here at UHCL are more aware of your accomplishments. The profesors are very helpful, and always there to give you support. UHCL is a smaller University, that gives the opportunity for the student to be much closer to classmates and profesors.

If I had to go back in time, I will probably recommend myself to look for all possible information related to my transition to college. From grants, to scholarships that will help me pay for classes and books. Being well informed before you start college is a plus. I remembered when I first started I was lost. Asking questions to fellow classmates and counselors about my degree requirements and more. I would have to say that it is as easy as networking and looking for the right information to start your college year without any problems. I also remember, that as a senior year, I had around two classes or three for day; Now that I know, that I could of graduated with a High School Diploma and an Associates at the same time. Taking college classes in High School would probably have saved me time and money. College is as important as High School, but with a more serious vocation to graduate with a degree to start your dream job.

I really just started this semester and so far I am very happy with the environment and student involvment. The only thing that comes tomy mind is that is not as close to my house as I would like to, I drive around 2o miles to get there. Other than that is okay.

Terri

University of Houston - Clear Lake is great It is a small campus with small classes. It is easier to get one on one help if you need and easy to develop relationships with teachers and fellow students. Also, there are many organizations to participate in to really make you feel like you belong there.

I graduated high school in 1984. I did not go straight to college, choosing instead to work full time and have kids. I would not trade my kids for anything, but I regret not attending college first and getting the education and degree that could really be beneficial now later in life. I went back to school in the early 1990's and got my Associates Degree in Accounting. That was really tough - being a mom (single at that) and student. After the Associates degree, I did not continue further because of funds, schedules, help, etc. Now as an older student, returning to school is a challenge. I am thankful for the opportunity and am working very hard to succeed, but it is hard! It takes a lot of time and work completing assignments and projects and studying. If I could go back to when I was a high school senior, I would tell myself to stick with school and let life wait. Do it now and you will succeed later on in life. Take your time and focus - accomplish you goals. Never give them up for anyone or anything.

The worst thing I believe is the availability of classes. Some classes are only offered once a year and many classes are only offered once per semester. There are no other options for these classes as far as times offered to help organize a schedule.

Kimberly

The University of Houston Clear Lake has an extremely diverse student population. Not only is the University diverse in culture, but also in the wide range of the age of students attending. The University is prompt to assist prospective students in the application process as well as the advisement process. It was wonderful to meet with an advisor who shares my excitement about my education.

Wow. The irony of this question is amazing. I have two children who are currently seniors in high school. The relevance is that I struggle in talking to them about college because I remember adults speaking to me when I was a senior and my perception was that they were lecturing me. Looking back, the advice I would give myself would be to experience all that I could through my education. Take advantage of studying abroad to learn the cultures of others, spend time volunteering to learn what you are really passionate about BEFORE committing yourself to a major, and remember to treat others the way you want to be treated because you never know when you might find yourself in the other person's shoes.

There is no limit to the kind of person who should attend The University of Houston Clear Lake. All that is required is the desire to accept the challenge of earning an education. It is the investment of a lifetime.

Adrienne

I have learned as much about myself as I have any subject that I have studied during the completion of an Associate in Arts Degree. This experience has transformed my life. Realizing that the only obstacle that can stand in the way of my success is me has been the most powerful knowledge I have acquired. I have discovered my ability to achieve and elevate the expectations I set for myself. The self-confidence gained from starting college as a high school dropout and finishing as an honor student, with a near perfect grade-point average, will forever be with me. Lastly, I have learned to learn. My exposure to higher education has been a humbling one as well. The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know, and how far I have yet to go. I now desire knowledge, and to see value in all of life’s experiences. Going to college has touched all aspects of my life and has given me the foundation to build a solid life upon.

Keri

I would say being able flexible. My professors have always been understanind that students need to work and take of their families first. Our careers are important but we can't succeed if the homelife is not taken care of.

I have gotten a career that I am able to put exactly what was taught to me in the two years I attended UHCL into great use. I learned so much from the hands on experiences adn the experiences the professors shared. They had so much to share and now that I am a first grade teacher I can put it all into great use. My students are from all around the world. I learned quite a bit from the diverse popluation at UHCL. The University allowed various organizations to educate the students about different cultures. I enjoyed my experience at UHCL. There were times when I thought I wouldn't make it but the professors encouraged me and assured me that it would all be worth it in the end. I do not have one regret.

This one is a hard question because I have enjoyed it there. I think that there could be more teacher job fairs. I know they are hard to put together and they do have them at least once/twice a year. However, they are so packed with people that it is hard to talk to anyone. Maybe if there were more then there wouldn't be so much competition.

Maria

The University of Houston Clear Lake is one of the few schools accredited by NCATE. The passing rates for educators is 99%. It does a wonderful job in helping undergraduates with the transfer of a 2 year college. The advisors also do a wonderful job helping students figure out the best and easiest way to achieve their goals.

Most important, knowledge. Everyday I learn something new that I can productively use in my career as an educator. The university does a fantastic job helping prepare for real life scenerios. It is important becuase I know that educators are needed in order to prepare our children in various ways. My experiences in college and the university had taught me how important an education is, because we can only learn from the experienced, our professors.

Because advisors would attend regularly my 2 year college, they made it very simple of the steps I needed to take to become a student at the UHCL. Therefore, I felt they gave me all the information I needed.

Kevuaghn

My school is best known for its education program for teachers. I've been told that upon gratuation from UHCL's teacher's certification program it will be quite easy to get a job.

Through my college experiences, I have gained many new virtues, the ones that already existed prior to college have been strengthened to immeasurable proportions, and I am now completely aware of the ones that I need to work on either obtaining or gaining strength in. I strongly believe that a college education should benefit the entire person and not just increase an individual’s mental abilities. As I think of the many difficulties along the way, I know that it this because of the virtue, perseverance, that I have not given up on this goal that I set for myself a long time ago. It has been valuable for me to attend college not only because of the priceless knowledge I have attained from the many courses I have taken, but also because of the better person I am becoming. I’ve heard that it is the valleys that we grow. Simply stated, my college experience has caused me to grow and mature in areas that I probably would not have otherwise. It has been invaluable for me to attend because due to the many challenges, one day I will blossom and bear fruit!

The worst thing about my school is the frequency of classes offered.. Not all classes are offered evey semester and some are only offered once during the entire semester!

University of Houston-Clear Lake administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.