Houston, TX
University of Houston-Clear Lake

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Houston-Clear Lake

Cynthia

The school community here at UHCL are more aware of your accomplishments. The profesors are very helpful, and always there to give you support. UHCL is a smaller University, that gives the opportunity for the student to be much closer to classmates and profesors.

If I had to go back in time, I will probably recommend myself to look for all possible information related to my transition to college. From grants, to scholarships that will help me pay for classes and books. Being well informed before you start college is a plus. I remembered when I first started I was lost. Asking questions to fellow classmates and counselors about my degree requirements and more. I would have to say that it is as easy as networking and looking for the right information to start your college year without any problems. I also remember, that as a senior year, I had around two classes or three for day; Now that I know, that I could of graduated with a High School Diploma and an Associates at the same time. Taking college classes in High School would probably have saved me time and money. College is as important as High School, but with a more serious vocation to graduate with a degree to start your dream job.

I really just started this semester and so far I am very happy with the environment and student involvment. The only thing that comes tomy mind is that is not as close to my house as I would like to, I drive around 2o miles to get there. Other than that is okay.

Terri

University of Houston - Clear Lake is great It is a small campus with small classes. It is easier to get one on one help if you need and easy to develop relationships with teachers and fellow students. Also, there are many organizations to participate in to really make you feel like you belong there.

I graduated high school in 1984. I did not go straight to college, choosing instead to work full time and have kids. I would not trade my kids for anything, but I regret not attending college first and getting the education and degree that could really be beneficial now later in life. I went back to school in the early 1990's and got my Associates Degree in Accounting. That was really tough - being a mom (single at that) and student. After the Associates degree, I did not continue further because of funds, schedules, help, etc. Now as an older student, returning to school is a challenge. I am thankful for the opportunity and am working very hard to succeed, but it is hard! It takes a lot of time and work completing assignments and projects and studying. If I could go back to when I was a high school senior, I would tell myself to stick with school and let life wait. Do it now and you will succeed later on in life. Take your time and focus - accomplish you goals. Never give them up for anyone or anything.

The worst thing I believe is the availability of classes. Some classes are only offered once a year and many classes are only offered once per semester. There are no other options for these classes as far as times offered to help organize a schedule.

Kimberly

The University of Houston Clear Lake has an extremely diverse student population. Not only is the University diverse in culture, but also in the wide range of the age of students attending. The University is prompt to assist prospective students in the application process as well as the advisement process. It was wonderful to meet with an advisor who shares my excitement about my education.

Wow. The irony of this question is amazing. I have two children who are currently seniors in high school. The relevance is that I struggle in talking to them about college because I remember adults speaking to me when I was a senior and my perception was that they were lecturing me. Looking back, the advice I would give myself would be to experience all that I could through my education. Take advantage of studying abroad to learn the cultures of others, spend time volunteering to learn what you are really passionate about BEFORE committing yourself to a major, and remember to treat others the way you want to be treated because you never know when you might find yourself in the other person's shoes.

There is no limit to the kind of person who should attend The University of Houston Clear Lake. All that is required is the desire to accept the challenge of earning an education. It is the investment of a lifetime.

Adrienne

I have learned as much about myself as I have any subject that I have studied during the completion of an Associate in Arts Degree. This experience has transformed my life. Realizing that the only obstacle that can stand in the way of my success is me has been the most powerful knowledge I have acquired. I have discovered my ability to achieve and elevate the expectations I set for myself. The self-confidence gained from starting college as a high school dropout and finishing as an honor student, with a near perfect grade-point average, will forever be with me. Lastly, I have learned to learn. My exposure to higher education has been a humbling one as well. The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know, and how far I have yet to go. I now desire knowledge, and to see value in all of life’s experiences. Going to college has touched all aspects of my life and has given me the foundation to build a solid life upon.

Keri

I would say being able flexible. My professors have always been understanind that students need to work and take of their families first. Our careers are important but we can't succeed if the homelife is not taken care of.

I have gotten a career that I am able to put exactly what was taught to me in the two years I attended UHCL into great use. I learned so much from the hands on experiences adn the experiences the professors shared. They had so much to share and now that I am a first grade teacher I can put it all into great use. My students are from all around the world. I learned quite a bit from the diverse popluation at UHCL. The University allowed various organizations to educate the students about different cultures. I enjoyed my experience at UHCL. There were times when I thought I wouldn't make it but the professors encouraged me and assured me that it would all be worth it in the end. I do not have one regret.

This one is a hard question because I have enjoyed it there. I think that there could be more teacher job fairs. I know they are hard to put together and they do have them at least once/twice a year. However, they are so packed with people that it is hard to talk to anyone. Maybe if there were more then there wouldn't be so much competition.

Maria

The University of Houston Clear Lake is one of the few schools accredited by NCATE. The passing rates for educators is 99%. It does a wonderful job in helping undergraduates with the transfer of a 2 year college. The advisors also do a wonderful job helping students figure out the best and easiest way to achieve their goals.

Most important, knowledge. Everyday I learn something new that I can productively use in my career as an educator. The university does a fantastic job helping prepare for real life scenerios. It is important becuase I know that educators are needed in order to prepare our children in various ways. My experiences in college and the university had taught me how important an education is, because we can only learn from the experienced, our professors.

Because advisors would attend regularly my 2 year college, they made it very simple of the steps I needed to take to become a student at the UHCL. Therefore, I felt they gave me all the information I needed.

Kevuaghn

My school is best known for its education program for teachers. I've been told that upon gratuation from UHCL's teacher's certification program it will be quite easy to get a job.

Through my college experiences, I have gained many new virtues, the ones that already existed prior to college have been strengthened to immeasurable proportions, and I am now completely aware of the ones that I need to work on either obtaining or gaining strength in. I strongly believe that a college education should benefit the entire person and not just increase an individual’s mental abilities. As I think of the many difficulties along the way, I know that it this because of the virtue, perseverance, that I have not given up on this goal that I set for myself a long time ago. It has been valuable for me to attend college not only because of the priceless knowledge I have attained from the many courses I have taken, but also because of the better person I am becoming. I’ve heard that it is the valleys that we grow. Simply stated, my college experience has caused me to grow and mature in areas that I probably would not have otherwise. It has been invaluable for me to attend because due to the many challenges, one day I will blossom and bear fruit!

The worst thing about my school is the frequency of classes offered.. Not all classes are offered evey semester and some are only offered once during the entire semester!

Through my college education I have gained a sense of empowerment. Being a first generation college student from a single parent family, it has sometimes been hard to find support, both emotionally and financially, to make it to this point in my education. Nevertheless, with my graduation date only a few semesters away, I am overcome by a sense of accomplishment. I have fallen in love with the academic process and plan to pursue a life of learning and educating in hopes of giving another young scholar the same feeling of enlightenment and empowerment I experienced thanks to some of the wonderful professors I have had the privilege of studying under. I can't help but daydream about the excitement graduate school will bring considering the passion I have found in my undergraduate studies!

Geared towards untraditional student.

Most classes are in the evening.

Stacey

University of Houston – Clear Lake aims to benefit non-traditional transfer students.

The most important and profound items I have gotten from my college experience is growth and appreciation. After I had my first daughter, it became clear to me that earning a degree was not something that you just “do.” Earning a degree is an experience, test of motivation and dedication, a challenge and a journey that brings you to a sense of mental and physical success. Seeing my children and having so many goals and hopes for them even as infants brought me to the realization that I could only expect so much, before I had to lead by example. Throughout my journey I have grown from a child to an adult though education, life experience, and seeing so many others who have conquered their own endeavors to reach their goals and dreams. I feel like an education is so important because it gives you the necessary perspective of being just a small part of big world. Being humble gives allows you to be confident in what you do know, but realize that there is vast amount of knowledge that others can give. As long as you can continue to learn, you will always be able to grow.

The best thing about my school is that there are many night class options. I am a non-traditional student and University Houston – Clear Lake aims to meet the needs of returning, working students. I am able to work, take care of my children and attend school without having to worry about if the classes I need are available when I need them.

So far my college experience has been valuable to me because it helped me figure out which degree I really wanted to pursue. From high school I decided to go straight to a community college because I was not fully confident in pursuing a degree in architecture. I jumped around between architectural drafting and engineering while at the college. I knew I wanted a degree that was design based I just could not find the right one. After a year or so I had almost completed my AA and realized that I still was not confident in a career choice. My last semester before my AA I decided to take a variety of electic classes. It was because of this decision that I finally found what I was looking for. Now I am majoring in graphic design and am fully content and confident with my decision. Finally finding a worthy career that I can look forward to is the most valuable thing that I could have ever hoped for.

University of Houston-Clear Lake administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.