University of Houston Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for University of Houston

Abigail

The University of Houston is an amazing school. First, our sports team is not only successful (in 2019 our football team was in the top 5, and in 2021 our mens basketball team made it to the final four), but we also have good turn out for the games. There are many different groups for students to join and stay involved with. I have liked all my professors and usually hear very good things about my friends professors as well. The best thing is that Houston is the number one most diverse city in America. Houston has such a rich culture and acceptance. The only downside is that University of Houston is located in the third ward which is a bad side of Houston. People regularly have their cars broken into, and the area is not the safest. It is also downtown which can be a lot of fun but it makes living expenses high. Also parking is very difficult and you will probably get towed at least once. Overall, I highly recommend UH.

Maraya

Overall, University Of Houston is a fantastic college to go to! I love how caring and supportive the students are, as well as the professors. The football games are awesome, as well. I have been to the campus five times already, and I must admit, it is so beautiful. I think a lot of it has to do with the colors for the university. The color red just motivates me and gets me excited for things around campus. Although, I am not a student currently, I have many family members, and friends, who have all been enrolled in the college. They all say it is amazing, especially the sports and clubs within the campus.

Jamie

With Covid-19 being the main problem in 2020, a lot of classes have been moved online for everybody's safety. University of Houston and their professors have done a great job in ensuring everybody is still able to get their education the same way they would with in person classes. Professors are still accessible during office hours and tend to respond to emails faster because of Covid-19.

Jenny

I honestly hate the Biology and Chemistry departments at this university. It's exactly why I'm transferring to a different school in Spring 2021. The professors only care about what they say and don't care to accommodate for students. Asking a question is basically interrupting the professor rudely because they don't want to pause to explain stuff. The professors also only care about curving the class enough so that there's adequate C's in the class. Rather than focusing on teaching, they focus more on cheating. For my ochem class, a C is a 50 in the class which is normally a 75. Professors believe that a C is good enough for a majority of students to receive even though most are pursuing a health field. I'd rather learn the material properly and earn my grade than get by with just a big curve.

Imani

If I could do it all over again, I'd still choose UH. I love that even at a university with over 40,000 students, I still feel like part of a family, still feel at home when I step onto campus. We have access to some excellent minds over at the Honors College. It feels reminiscent of the small high school that I graduated from.

Shahanna

Overall, the campus had a nice and welcoming vibe that left me extremely pleasantly delighted. The campus food was delicious. The university offered several mainstream food chain options: Chick Fil A, Starbucks, Panda Express, McDonalds, and more. The area surrounding the university was fun to explore as well.

Xochiel

UH is a place where I always knew I’d attend because it is the Heart of Houston, (aside from Whataburger). Although it’s not placed in the best area and its not the best place to be alone at night, its still a dream come true to be able to attend the University of Houston! Go Coogs!

Alycia

I had a few misgivings about college. Being from Alaska, I was anticipating an uncomfortable college transition but what I discovered changed me as a person. I am completely in love with college and there's nothing that can take me back to a smaller existence. I am ready for the bigger and the bolder, brand new experiences that are yet to come, all because college helped me grow as a person.

othniel

The University of Houston is a good university to go to in Texas. While it's not Texas A&M or UT it's the next best thing and a good choice. There are many clubs and groups to join though campus life is not very lively since it's a commuter school. It's safe as long as you're sensible and not reckless. I'd recommend it.

Jacob

The University of Houston is a campus in which it becomes what you make of it. If you want to be involved it's fairly easy to find something that suits your interest. However, it is just as easy to find off campus housing because Houston is so big and just commute. But if you're searching for a small campus with full engagement from the whole student body than this is not the place for you. It is still a beautiful campus and city with various types of people.

Tana

On campus and off campus, the students and faculty are incredible. Yes the programs are rigorous, but it's absolutely worth it and it sticks. They've created programs that demand you learn and retain the information making all students well rounded and driven.

Sofia

It really depends on a couple things: 1) If you're living on or off campus and 2) what your major is. If you're commuting then good, University of Houston is mainly a commuter school. There's not much on campus, and the freshman level dorms look like prison cells (from what I've seen compared to other college dorms (just being honest). You will make friends on campus easily, as the University is so diverse, but greek life is basically obsolete. We have sororities and fraternities, but since most of the people that go here live off campus, its a very small aspect of our school compared to other Texas universities like Tech, A&M and UT. If you're commuting you can find plenty of housing near campus for a reasonable price, as well as tons of things to do. When it comes to schooling, it really depends on your major. Some departments get WAY more funding than others. The business and law schools are phenomenal. The Jack J. Valenti Comm school, which is where I go, unfortunately has extremely limited funding. The advisors vary depending on which school you choose to apply to. Speaking from personal experience, as well as speaking to people in my same major, the Communication school's advisors aren't helpful at all. One thing I will say about every department is that we have some AMAZING professors. You might have to do a little bit of research on "Ratemyprofessor.com", but the greatest aspect of this school so far that I have found are the professors. They really care about the subject they teach and push students to go farther in the career of their dreams. Even in one of the lower funded departments I have been presented with multiple opportunities further myself in my career of choice, and I have learned so much while (actually) enjoying my classes; even the entry level CORE ones.

Patricio

I think it's an overall very good school with plenty of opportunity to build a future for one's self. There are many resources to go around and a wide variety of majors to choose from, and from anecdotal experience at least somewhat affordable at a little over 10,000 a year for in state residents like myself, and can get lower than that if you put in the effort.

Madhuri

I loved my time at the University of Houston. With very intelligent professors and a diverse student body, UofH was a unique and rewarding experience.

ShayQuan

I think that the University of Houston does a great job in letting their students feel involved. There are always fliers being handed out or posted everywhere when there is an event. I feel like the professors at the University do a good job of communicating with their students.

Mariah

It's a wonderful place to study. The administration is unusual in that they actually care about you on an individual basis; you're a person and not a number. Your professors learn your name, and people are really friendly! There are all sorts of resources too, from an incredibly well-stocked library to a tech store in the student center. I love UH. Go Coogs!

Nathan

I like UH more than I expected. I thought going here would just be like any other school, but i was pleasantly surprised with how welcoming everyone was. I've met a lot of great people and most of the classes actually intrigue me which was something I did not expect. The teachers are nice and the campus itself is very social.

Lesley

I actually want to attend UH because of their business program. It was really cool to see the school for its self.

Mariela

Overall, the campus has been actively working on improving it's ranking against other large state universities and it shows! Whether commuters, part-time workers, or living away from home, students here are enormously driven. With the construction of brand new facilities and professors who genuinely care about providing an enriching learning experience, this school has a bright future ahead.

Caitlin

I am a nontraditional student and started attending UH as an undergrad at 30 years old and a mother of two. I was nervous about feeling like an outsider but UH is a wonderfully diverse campus and I quickly felt like I was part of the student body. My study groups in both undergrad and graduate school were filled with students of different genders, cultures, religions, ages and abilities. I have learned so much from the students, faculty, and staff and I know I will serve my community well when I graduate.

Jenina

The University of Houston is a very diverse campus with a lot of opportunities available for its students whether its academically, artistically, or athletically. Its faculty strives to provide the best education possible for their students and continually improve. There's also a variety of organizations that students can be involved in and expand their knowledge or fuel their passion.

Rosa

The University of Houston has so much to offer than just academics (where they excel greatly). When I first stepped foot on the campus there was so much going on. You have so many activities opportunities being thrown at you the first day. Whether it's scholarships or next bake sale, it's not hard to be involved.

Amalia

The University of Houston offers many majors and opportunities to students in order to gain skills that will be needed in our future professions. Overall, it is a great place to be, professors, advisors and counselors are willing to help us with our success.

Chloe

The University of Houston is indeed a powerhouse. One may say it is a big campus, however once embrace the grounds it will lead you wherever you need to go in whatever manner you so desire whether it is for scenery or efficiency. It is so easy to find that one little nook that becomes your territory, and it makes you feel like home and that that home is a part of something much bigger. The University of Houston does give a lot of options and plans so that a student can either zone into their dream career or give the uncertain students a lot of options. It is a flexible school, one that is willing to work with you no matter what. Like I said, it is a powerhouse and like its definition great energy, strength or power. The energy is always there even during the final season in the library at midnight, the strength is in every single person for being there and building and the power is for us to create. It is a home to all, there is no singular extrovert or introvert, everyone is welcomed and everyone will feel welcomed. However, there is a natural struggle that will occur. If not being from Houston area, there will be a sense of loneliness that appears. There is also the sense of being overwhelmed and feeling lost, it's just really common in any college really. Classes can be a pain, the easiest class could be the most difficult. Professors of large classes can be difficult, especially to intro levels. The idea of college being easier that high school is not accurate in any sense. The University of Houston is a college where if you put in the work you reap the reward, but you really do have to put in the work, it is not easy as people may think a big city college may be. It is a really truly amazing place to find yourself, see what you're capable of and knowing your strengths and weaknesses. Being a here is a test truly to yourself.

UH is different from most universities in the aspect that it's a commuter school, this may mean that many students are unaware of what's happening on campus because they go to campus for classes only. On-campus housing is a joke and so is parking. There's plenty of organizations to join (~500) and lots of diversity. Professors are okay, it is what you make of it. I'm pretty sure I've been told to get involved and it's important to do so. The student life is okay overall, on weekends the campus is like a ghost town unless there's an event.

Emely

It's a great school with lots to do if you're ever bored. It's set near downtown and there's so much new places around to try. Also most of the teachers and classes are great. The campus food is ok. It might get tiring at some point. Overall I love the school.

Rebecca

My first semester was pretty easy. I was a bit difficult the first week to find my classes due to how big the campus is. I made plenty of friends to help me out find my way around. The professor are easy to talk to and always available to discuss over your work. I love the diversity and how you never feel out of place. The university tries their best to have many activities and include everyone. Overall this semester was the best time i have ever had at school.

Very diverse campus, large communities on campus, and they have pride in their sports. Especially football. Food could be better, not a lot of variety and some cannot be accessed because of remodeling. Their Art Museum is a nice place to sight see, they have plenty of greenery areas to relax outside.

Jack

The University of Houston is a very underrated school. From tuition fees to overall class spirit, the University of Houston proves more than capable of upholding a Tier One title. The university rightly brandishes the "more bang for your buck" award by providing its students with useful facilities and talented staff at half the tuition fee of neighboring universities. If a prospective student worries a lower tuition will lead them to large classes and less education, they should consider joining the Honors College at the University of Houston. The Honors College functions as a private institution for the university designed to provide next-level learning and an exceptionally small class size. The University of Houston boasts remarkable schools with fields in business, engineering, optometry, and architecture known for equipping students with the skills and opportunities to acquire a career after graduation. Students seeking to pursue graduate school often take advantage of the university's low cost tuition and research experience in applied physical sciences to further prepare themselves for graduate education. The University of Houston is also unmatched in school spirit with high energy football games and robust cougar pride. The university's location, however, is somewhat dangerous, and the university, along with the students themselves, should take measures towards protection from the denizens near the surrounding area. Because students view the University of Houston as a commuter campus, parking in and around campus during the academic semester becomes atrocious and the university itself becomes barren on weekends and holiday breaks. Regardless, if it weren't dwarfed by the reputation of Rice University and the University of Texas, the University of Houston would be easily recognized as an exceptional and accomplished college.

Fion

There is a very diverse population of students of all backgrounds, and various activities accessible on and off campus. There are also great programs that assist students with different subjects like math, science, literature, etc. Depending on which professor, they have open office hours for their students to ask questions.

Josh

UH is overall the best university in Texas if not the country for your money. The school has a very open and diverse atmosphere and many of the professors are committed to their student's success and well being. I truly feel at home here. Plus the value is hard to beat at education becomes to expensive.

Isai

Very nice environment! I love the people and the campus. If you like the city, this is the perfect University! I Will certainly apply here.

Paige

I'm proud to be a cougar, I can honestly say that. The University of Houston is a great campus full of life and diversity. There's always something to do and there are clubs and activities for students from all walks of life. And hey, if you are missing something, you can be the one to establish it. The great thing about the university is that it's a school that functions for the students and is by the students, be they undergrad or grad.

Raziya

University of Houston is a very diverse and friendly place to learn and meet friends. There is always someone there to answer your questions. The expectations are very simple and clear. There are variety of organizations and clubs that students can join, the opportunities are endless. If you are on top of your game and like to enjoy adventures now and then, then this is the university to be at!

Margaret

Coming here was the best choice I have made in my life so far! While it is scary entering college for the first time, there's always a helping hand to show you around. Classes are not too far apart, there is plenty of food choices, and most importantly, I feel academically challenged. The professors are very interactive, and you can tell that they care, which was very obvious in the recent tragedy, Hurricane Harvey. The only problem I have encountered was paying for textbooks, but that is with every college, right? Yikes!

Jv Kyle

Since I've taken most of my classes in the Honors College, I can really only speak for the Honors College. The students and professors that I have met so far were welcoming. As an Asian student, I have not experienced any racial bullying, instead, all the students are open to new ideas and people they have not met before. The professors I’ve met try not to be preferential, unless you sit at the front of the class. If you show effort in the class, they make an effort to answer your questions first after class and such. However, some professors did not go through the necessary training to become really good teachers. They try, but it takes more than just effort to become a really good teacher. Be prepared to teach yourself from the book and the internet if you encounter one of them. Lastly, make sure you are prepared with all the necessary items before talking with financial aid. The people there are helpful, but busy. You will be stuck waiting on a long long line again if you are not prepared. Why make life harder for yourself? Overall, it is a good school that is becoming better at what it does: research, sports, and teaching.

Marina

Honestly, this university isn't as bad as people think it is. Sure, it's located in a pretty bad part of town (there's homeless people who literally camp out in front of the main entrance and there are reports of muggings and robberies sometimes), but I really like the department my major is in because the professors really care and want to see their students succeed. There are bad and unqualified professors on campus, and I've certainly had a few of them, but overall it's nothing I can't deal with for the cost of the university.

Bianca

This university definitely deserves its tier one rating. Every professor I've had so far is excellent, my academic adviser is the best I've ever had, financial aid advisers are well-versed and helpful, and the campus itself always has something going on, be it one of our sports teams playing, a new art exhibition, a festival, etc. I love campus life here, though I live off campus and commute from west Houston. The facilities, from the student center to the library to the rec center to the cafeteria are all top notch. After Hurricane Harvey this campus was quick to get back on its feet and everybody pitched in however they could to help not just the University but the community surrounding it. Main campus is located in an area of Houston known to be a little shifty, but campus security takes their job very seriously and I never feel unsafe while I'm on campus. In particular, I love my pre-COMD classes and I'm looking forward to majoring in both COMD and English with a focus in Creative Writing as UH is one of the top schools in the country for creative writing students to attend. My COMD professors have all been excellent and so have my English professors and I'm looking forward to earning my bachelor degrees from this university!

Calvin

I think that it is a great institution and the right college for me. The campus is nice and there is a very likeable atmosphere. The University of Houston has set me on track to realize my goals, and I'm very glad to be a student here. I look forward to the rest of my academic career here.

Kimberly

U of H is a great place to live and study. Although the dining halls are not that great, they have a wide variety of food, including proper restaurants and food trucks scattered across campus. The campus is beautiful and full of art installations -- the fountain plaza is the perfect place to hang out with your friends, relax, eat, and enjoy the water. There are nine floors in the M.D. Anderson Library, another great place to study, whether you need quiet or a place to work as a group. The academic standards are high, and tutoring is free. University-sponsored events are nice to get out and meet people and there is always free food! Greek life is abundant and celebrated. Overall, the University of Houston is a wonderful place to attend with lots of campus culture among the 50,000 students wandering about every day.

Alondra

It's pretty chill and active at the same time. Great to get work done and focus on studies while with friends. It seems like everything is at close distant and there is always such a great bright sunny vibe when i go to classes. Everyone, even though they are tired, they seem eager to get started with the day.

Toby

It is a great school where you can really feel involved. Even though there is a large student population, a person can always find a group or club that fits them. There are so many different people to meet and people are almost always friendly and ready to help out.

Karissa

I transferred to U of H because I wanted the university feel. I needed football games, diversity of students, and Greek life. College is supposed to be the best years of my life and I haven't gotten that feeling yet. I love the University of Houston but people mainly keep to themselves. It may have something to do with social media and everyone being hooked on their phones. I'm keeping with it though and will definitely be joining clubs and activities. I'm excited to be a cougar. GO COOGS!

BINISH

University of Houston is a campus for everyone, a jack of all trades that offers a little bit for everyone to enjoy. Food games on one hundred, and overall atmosphere is positive. However, it is around 80% commuters that attend, so campus life is a little on the down low. That doesn't mean UH students don't go hard though!

Mai

The University of Houston is an amazing campus. There is a lot of diversity within the campus itself. The faculties and students are friendly and are there to help you when you need it. There are plenty of activities to do at the school to keep you busy.

Kayra

I did not want to attend this school at first but now I love it. It offers so much more than I expected. Professors are incredibly kind and classes are not impossible. There are a lot of fun events and lots of space to chill. No matter who you are you can find a space on this campus.

Jonathan

The University of Houston is an extremely open, friendly, and encouraging environment to be apart of. Everyone is extremely nice, friendly, and understanding. UH is known worldwide for its diversity aspect. We have people from all over the world and I am proud to learn so much about other cultures. The education system is fantastic. The professors are really enthusiastic and knowledgeable on what they teach.

Marco

Academically it performs well. The University is very large and spread out. There are many clubs and activities if you choose to get involved. The school has a large commuter population which makes it more difficult to meet people, but overall it is a good experience.

Kotoko

Although this university was my back up school, I believe i was destined to study at this school, where I can be myself and understand that UH too is a excellent school, just as much as other major universities. UH has just as the same educational opportunities and options to succeed.

Demiana

The University of Houston is one of the most diverse campus in the country. The people are friendly and proud to go there. They look out for fellow coogs and stick together. The academics is a high priority and is a top tier school. I love UH and I can not wait to graduate and go there for their medical programs. Which brings me to my next point, their other schools such as optometry or medical schools are the best in the nation.