University of Illinois at Chicago Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for University of Illinois at Chicago

Veronica

Dorm life is very unique and open. It's better to get to know roommates beforehand. The design program is very good, the proffesors and student teachers are approachable and give good advice. Money wise, UIC costs a bit too much for what it offers, but if you're commuting instead of dorming theres a lot less to worry about (unless you can't drive)

Maha

Overall, The University of Illinois at Chicago is a very good school; the kind that really is a bang for your buck. However, since it is in a major city, it is sometimes dangerous especially if you are by yourself and leave the campus. Additionally, I would say that there is no campus life because 80% of the students commute here, so it is really hard to make friends. But, you get what you pay for and I would say that the education that you will get is very good as well as the resources that will be provided to each student are amazing.

Henry

general waste of time unless you meet their liberal criteria. you will find yourself lost with the indifference of the academic advisors. the focus in this school is money and liberal-based politics. the instructors, rather than professors, make the students "teach themselves", they do not teach you anything worth anywhere close to what you spend there. the TAs judge you based on race, they will only pass their own kind. jealousy and hatred due to race is a big fad in this school, it's not about your grades, its about physical apperance. uic is embarassed that they are a commuter school and push their housing onto you, along with their LGBT agenda, you will be spammed with your entire freshmen year with it. their medical insurance plan is also a honeypot, big waste of money, unless you opt-in for their housing plan. if you're going through hard times, they will kick you out the door, and give you enough punishment that you will never go back. needless to say the hiring staff does not believe in racial equality, you always get folks who judge you the most. they also get involved in matter that does not have anything to do with student life, and be on your rear-end about it. they also hate returning students, and any folks who will not fit in with young-ins fresh out of highshcool. don't waste your time at this institution and go to a more academic based college. terrible university in general. if you're average you will not get a diploma based on your apperance, and others' judgement based on it. if you're a minorty, especially if you're lbqzt, you don't even have to attend class and get straight As.

Maya

i

Madison

This school has been incredibly helpful in building the foundation to who I want to become as prospective nurse. The diverse environment fosters growth in not only the students, but faculty as well. Extracurricular activities are well-utilized and facilitated in this university.

My overall opinion on the University of Illinois at Chicago is that it is a very big university. Class sizes are ridiculously large and it makes it difficult to learn since the professor will read off the slides. I have found it difficult to find myself and my passion at this university because I feel that it is very fast paced and it is not somewhere I encourage someone to attend unless they have the ability to self teach themselves a class or 3 every semester.

Fanny

I've been in love with this school ever since I visited it during my senior year in High school. I was part of a youth group that promoted the importance of college and college readiness in Kelly High School. One of the things I liked to talk about to students about UIC is how diverse the school is.

Marriah

I love the diversity and variety of options you have as far as academics. This is a really good school for those with lower in-come especially if they want to get into research. I do wish there was a little more school spirit, but people are still nice to each other! Sometimes the area surrounding is sketchy but in the center of campus I feel relatively safe.

Aylen

It is super diverse and fun. I feel safe in the whole campus. It is super close to downtown so you can have a lot of fun. There are a lot of clubs and extracurriculars to get involved in. The school offers all types of services and welcomes everyone. The students are very open minded.

Micala

I like University of Illinois at Chicago. There is always something to do, always an event to go to. You can just sit back and observe and be there or be directly and involved at the forefront. There is a place for anyone who wants to just go to school and a place for someone who wants to be involved in a lot of extracurricular activities.

Kelly

The Universtiy of Illinois at Chicago is a typical college, but something that is different about it is that it's located in the city. The city helps by having individuals become more independent and to take advantage of their surroundings. It's a bit disappointing that because this college is in the city, there's barely any grass that contributes to more space like sports and greek life. Classes are a step up from high school, but it challenges your mind. It does exactly what colleges are supposed to do. There could be more improvements to the college in different ways but it's a great school to attend.

Anahi

The University of Illinois at Chicago is an extremely diverse school that offers many academic and extra-curricular opportunities. Safety and student involvement is a priority throughout campus, maintaining a friendly environment. The professors are lenient with setting up appointments if their office hours are a time conflict with a student's schedule. There is help in any area of conflict that a student could face in the exciting yet challenging nature of college. The University is a great one.

Marc

UIC is a culturally diverse institution that harbors many different majors and academic activities on campus. The academic system is great for nursing, engineering and math, but also holds plenty of other programs that can fit most anyone seeking for a major. The activities are also bountifu and interesting, you just have to know where to look.

Joshua

The University of Illinois at Chicago is overall a great school to receive a quality education for less cost than that of a private institution. The professors and teaching assistants at UIC have almost always been very helpful, knowledgeable, and passionate about their role as an educator. Furthermore, the facilities at UIC such as an extensive library, research labs, student center, union, gymnasium, etc. are all of high quality. Additionally, the healthcare insurance and health services provided by the college are first-rate. The biggest downside to UIC is that most of the student body are commuters. And unless you live in the dorms or very near campus, this can make developing friendships outside of class more difficult as you will usually find yourself needing to catch a train or bus in order to get home at a decent hour. Because of this, most students give off the impression that they are here to study and then go home; which can be great if that is your interest as well, but can make developing friendships harder. Commuting students will definitely have to go that extra mile to ingratiate themselves. In summary, if you are looking for a solid education and the opportunity to pursue research later on in graduate school, the University of Illinois at Chicago is an excellent choice. If you are looking for a very tight knit, drunken-social-free-for-all, this is not the school for that.

Isabella

The University of Illinois at Chicago is amazing for so many reasons! The university is so ethnically diverse, I've met people from so many countries with so many different beliefs, sexual orientations, traditions but overall everyone is friendly. The school is also a very safe place that does not accept the hate of what is currently happening in the news. Along with this, UIC will help you excel no matter what major you pick. There are so many opportunities in and out of the campus.

Michelle

My college career began at Illinois Institute of Technology where I struggled to connect with professors and students alike. I withdrew and questioned my major choice while my confidence in my studies plummeted. Going to a community college for the next year showed me that it was my choice in college, not my abilities, that had caused me to question my career path. Upon coming to UIC I found peers that I connected with and professors that I was able to reach out to when I needed help. The chemical engineering community was a place I could go when I needed advice, help with my classes, or just companionship. The people are welcoming and even though the classes are incredibly difficult and at times professors can be hard to communicate with I knew immediately that this was where I wanted to stay and graduate. I began my journey by joining the American Institute of Chemical Engineers and that is where I began to make connections and network with students and professors. Now after struggling in my first year of college I will be graduating in a year with my bachelors in chemical engineering.

Rebekah

good.

Serena

If your into the large campus in a big city, it's the place for you. If your not, you might find it to your liking anyway. Class sizes vary depending on the topic and who's teaching. Professors are always available by email and most are accommodating if you're vocal about needing something.

Lisa

The University of Illinois at Chicago is a great public school. The professors there are amazing, they are always willing to help. The food is outstanding, they recently added Panda Express and Chick-Fil-A to the food court. I like that there is a variety of options of food. Since the campus is looked 5 minutes from downtown there are lots of things to do.

kiya

UIC cares deeply for their students. The teachers are passionate and teach with the zeal that enthralled the students. They establish advisers to guide you along your journey and plan for the future. There is a counseling center when you feel in over your head and employment and financial advisers. If you are looking for a traditional college campus than UIC may not be for you. It is set in the heart of a big city so that is something to contemplate. That being said there's always something to do and my experience has been amazing .

Mia

UIC is a school with good potential, but only if you are in a field that is dedicated to research. While UIC offers many majors, they don't really care about anyone besides the science majors that will make discoveries. Computer Science majors are lumped in with engineers, forced to take years and years of unnecessary classes. Language majors also face the same fate. TAs are chosen haphazardly and are often rude in nature. Professors can range from being amazing to the worst, as I faced my first semester there with a racist and close minded professor. UIC housing is a mess with the housing office constantly overcharging on accident, not catching their mistakes until after they have your money. Even worse, giving large refunds by mistake and demanding you pay the money back weeks after it has happened, never contacting you about the mistake at all. The college itself seems haphazardly run in general, constant construction is happening in places where it is simply cosmetic while some buildings have cracked windows and that have not been fixed for years, Facility workers in the dorms outright refusing to fix showers in the dorm when only 3 weeks of school remained, despite only 2 showers working on a floor of over 50 girls. Student managers were rude if they were present at all and their desk was terribly managed. Security was "improved" but in the end caused more harm than good. Overnight security falls asleep almost every night, making the new security system absolutely useless...anyone could walk into the dorms past 3AM. Not safe at all. UIC police takes half an hour to arrive and police alerts always come out hours if not days after crimes are committed. The college is not dedicated to safety of students nor diversity as it claims. Racist and sexist professors and TAs prove that. Laughable security that falls asleep (and even sometimes did not show up) does as well. The academics were good, but only in the right major. For a vast majority of the students, our needs as far as our major are ignored and we are given loads of fluff in General Education classes as opposed our major courses.

Micala

I like the overall UIC experience. There are a bunch of counselors and teachers that are there for you. Some will even give you their numbers in order to be very helpful. People kind of go do their own thing which is good for me. The housing is way too expensive and you have to stay on financial aid if they do something wrong.

Zuzanna

The education at The University of Illinoise at Chicago is okay. It is not as challenging as one might expect, however it depends on the course. The professors I have had so far have been great. The professor always encourage students to attend office hours. The students at UIC, however, are cliquey which makes it hard for out of state students to make friends. The on campus housing is much too expensive, the rooms/ apartments are filthy and not up to health codes.

Saeida

It's a very nice school with kind and helpful professors. They keep regular office hours, and the teacher assistants' are very useful and generally know how to explain difficult concepts. A downside is class sizes differ; it may be hard to learn in a huge lecture room because there is usually not enough time to answer individual questions. There are many opportunities and events at school, and there's a fun atmosphere. Students participate in many events whether they be political, musical, food-related, charity-related, etc. One major downside is that the campus is an open campus, which can make students feel unsafe especially at night. However, the facilities and services are highly useful. I enjoy seeing the downtown view each time I arrive and leave campus. Students take their education seriously and it's a great school that is affordable.

Ottissa

The university is embedded in the downtown area from the west side. Those who like exploring city have easy and unlimited access via the public transportation, CTA, as a student during academic terms. The educational experience is competitive with other universities. It's what you make it.

maggie

The University of Illinois at Chicago is a place that full of ideas in meditating on the meaning and purpose of education. The learning community at this school has a perfect learning channel. It gives students the learning opportunities to participate in, and have a conversation to communicate and learn from each other. I will be able to easily find like-minded peers as I naturally evolve over the course of my college career. There’s no unified culture at UIC. Instead, it’s an amalgamation of several different cultures, and even more so than other schools.

Melissa

The University of Illinois at Chicago is a very diverse and multicultural University. This is one of the biggest qualities that helped me decide what school I would be attending. One of the most influential events that I attended was the protest that students organized when elect-president Donald Trump was scheduled to speak at our school. With such a diverse body of students, they all came together and with the same conclusion. We needed to stand up for our classmates and for all those people that could not speak up. When I was there I felt the connection that all the students were standing together in our protest and I knew I had made the right decision in what school to attend.

Esidely

I'm going on my second semester at UIC so I don't quite know everything yet. So far it has been a typical college experience the way you see it in movies, with the really big classrooms and the Frap and Sorority groups. There is a whole lot of diversity and extra curricular activities. I hope to be able to learn more and explore throughout the following semesters.

marilin

The school is very close to the city providing excellent views. Class sizes are a little bigger then hoped but teachers make up for excellent experience. Teachers have expertise in the area they teach making work challenging. UIC provides research experience giving a students resume a better outlook after college. UIC offers a lot if you are willing to put the effort in.

Deborah

UIC is a research-intensive university of dedicated students who turned down Ivy-Leagues for what UIC offers. While UIC provides students with numerous opportunities to further their careers, it is up to the students to take advantage of them.

Alvaro

N/A sjndajsndjasndijasndjasndjandjiandijndiandjiasdniajsnjanjiasnjiasndjianjiasdjasndjiasdjsndijasndijasndijasndjasndijasnijasndijasndijasndijndijaniasndiasjndjndjaisndijasbijabdijsbfaisjfbaisjbfijasbfijafbjaisfbjiasfbajsibfajosbfjiasbfijasbfijasfjisbfijasbf

Katherine

Personally I really like this school. Some people don't like it or the city, but they generally weren't very positive lol. I never did understand the ones who thought like that, because I love it here. Some words of advice: Public transportation is your friend, the 8 bus will take you to good places. The 12 towards the forum can take you up roosevelt to the state street red line and the 8 towards greektown will get you to the blue line. The housing by the forum (east) is better than the housing by student center east like courtyard and you will be closer to restaurants and grocery stores (stores are up roosevelt like target and jewel) (the names of these are (James Stukel Towers, Stevenson Hall, and Marie Robinson Hall. MRH and SH have kitchenettes and JST has group kitchens at the top of each tower.) All the dorms have at lest one piano hiding somewhere like at the tops of the JST towers Some Faculty In Residence have events where you can come pet their cats. It's very nice and they have snacks. This is the better area in case you need to go and get stuff. The ten minute walk to classes is worth it. 7-11 is good for small things you need like toilet paper or Ben and Jerry's. It's at the end of MRH's building. There is a steak and shake opening on maxwell and halsted and it will be the first in chicago. They are cheap and tasty. Bar Louie and the Bracket room have five dollar burger nights each week (bracket room is better). Al's hot dogs are cheap and good and they are open late. the 8 bus is most likely really crowded in the mornings if you live on campus its better to walk to class than be squished Yes I know most of this is about the area where I live and not classes but trust me this is useful info. better to walk 10-15 minutes to class in the morning than to go really far at night to get something. trust me. Nothing will be open very close to SCE later in the evening. Good luck and I hope you come to love this school as much as I do!

Naseem

Unlike other schools in the city of Chicago, UIC offers the whole package, from being located ten minutes from downtown to sustaining high security all over campus grounds. That's what makes up the university. It is a fun yet safe place, making it a much more comfortable and enjoyable experience for students. The biggest highlight that comes off from the institution is the high levels of diversity amongst faculty and students. Due to that being, UIC has become a lot more accepting and respecting of any and every kind of race or ethnicity.

Marlene

The University of Illinois at Chicago is a great school and I hope to attend next year! I visited campus and there are so many opportunities for students- socially and academically. I am also interested in greek life, although it didn't seem like a major thing on campus. However, as a first generation student, the help given to a student like me is phenomenal.

Jena

I love the University of Illinois at Chicago, and its focus on its students. The college is in a fantastic location for all of its students in the middle of downtown Chicago. I admire the attention students receive from the faculty and teaching assistants. The vibe of the school is so inviting and friendly that I would recommend it to any student looking for a little adventure in a bigger city.

hidaya

The University of Illinois at Chicago is a very friendly school. Every time I visit it there are people there smiling and greeting me to make me feel comfortable. To add on, it is very clear and it is near Grant Park which is a major perk. There is a lot of shops and places to visit around UIC which is really nice. From what I hear about teacher and student interactions, its always positive since they dont have a hard time meeting with teachers and asking for help.

Thomas

it is a very nice place to be. i love the campus and people are friendly and therefore people are more accessible when you do need help. There is a lot of bright minds and help us think what can we do with our lives whilst we are a student. There is also a lot of research hence it is a public research college.

Seyifa

UIC is very nice school, but has huge classroom size.

Gabrielle

Overall, i think that this University offers a very large range of classes, and the classes have a very prestigious curriculum set into place. I feel as though there is a tremendous amount of opportunities to get involved within the campus as well as off campus.

UIC is a great school for those looking to live and work in a big city. With UIC being right next to the heart of Chicago you have everything at the tip of your fingers. Many recruiters come to UIC to recruit young, driven, and hardworking students. Included in tuition is a U-Pass which lets you access multiple types of transportation the Chicago Transit Association has to offer. I have never been in an unsafe situation but in a big city, you should always be cautious. I feel at home at UIC overall because of its university feel and diversity, there is always a place for you at UIC.

Alexis

The University of Illinois is a great school centered in the middle of Chicago. The campus is perfectly located near transit stations which makes it easier to get around the city. The on campus facilities such as the recreation building, and the Student Life Center are full with several dining options and equipment easily accessible to students. I loved how quiet the campus seemed despite being so close to the interstate and downtown. With many student dormitory options such as James Stukel Towers or Commons West, theirs lots of boarding options to student the needs and personalities of the student body. It may be a large city, but I felt like I was home right a UIC. It is definitely on my top list of schools I'd like to attend.

Aleara

UIC is one of the best schools here in Chicago,IL the dorm rooms have a great view of the city the dorms are amazing.

Alexandra

UIC is great university. It has a variety of majors, clubs and people. Professors are accessible as well as tutoring. The campus is large and full of people. The campus has a great library and plenty of places to study and work together. If you need with a laptop or finding a book the staff in the library will always be there to help. The have a good variety of fast food places and have counselors and advisers always ready to help.

O

University of Illinois at Chicago (UIC) is very resources. The program is flexible and classes fit my schedule the way I create it. The professors want to actually see you succeed, so they always try to make themselves available during school hours or sometimes off hours.

Ricardo Jesus

UIC is a very diverse place where you can meet a lot of great people. Everyone on campus accepts everyone else for who they are and what the believe in. There are many resources available on campus for anyone to use if they need any help with anything they are having trouble with.

Anthony

UIC is an urban University in the heart of one of the worlds great cities. It's on the forefront of human progress in terms of medicine and science. It's connected to the wonderful nightlife, museums, and culture of the city. Furthermore, it carries with it the spirit of the city. Chicago is, was, and always shall be a sanctuary city, a refuge for those forced to flee their native land, a city dedicated to the ideal that all people are created equal regardless of creed, color, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, or abilit status. UIC is one of the most ethnically diverse centers of higher learning in the world, if you value diversity and the American promise, then UIC is the place to be. If you value research UIC is the place to be. If you value the experience of a world city, then UIC is the place to be, If paying 7ish K a year sounds like a fantastic deal to you, UIC is the place to be.

Stacy

The University of Illinois at Chicago is a great school for everyone. The campus is very friendly and diverse. Professors and teaching assistants are always flexible to help students. UIC offers many resources to help students achieve their academic goals.

Nancy

The University of Illinois at Chicago is a very diverse school with many people commuting yet there is so much involvement on campus. There are many organizations and fraternities/ sororities to get involved in. The campus is big and beautiful with every season and being a school in the city, there is so much to do!

To really get anything out of going to the University of Illinois at Chicago, you must be independent in some way. Yes, you will make friends but from what I've seen and experienced, there aren't many activities to do with other students on Campus. You must travel the city in order to find events, but those are very costly. So most students stick to their dorm room or others commute. The staff that works on the Campus are all rude, especially in the dorm cafeteria. Also, the food that is served in there is not worth what you pay for. When you attend the University of Illinois at Chicago, there really isn' much help at all. For example, trying to work with the student aide office is impossible because the staff don't know how their systems work and for the most part they give you the run around until you figure out how to do things yourself.

Dalanne

University of Illinois at Chicago is a location that fosters education and diversity. Whoever you are or wherever you come from, you will find people who will accept you and support you. The city provides a bucket-full of opportunities that gives students an edge.