University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign Top Questions

Describe a typical weekend.

So much to do, so little time... Thats's how I feel about weekends here, and many will attest to that. Whether you want to catch a show or a sporting event, there is always something for you. We have a packed performance arts center and a huge arena where the likes of Bob Hope, Kelly Clarkson, Drake and Jay-Z have performed. Trust me, you will not bored, whether you go out at 1pm or 1am on a Monday or Saturday. Typically, the main attraction is Green Street, where a quarter mile of restaurants, clothing stores bars, and nightclubs that are usually hopping. Usually, it looks like a major city at night: crowds of people walking and laughing together. You'll here people yelling at the top of their lungs about how much fun they're having, and sometimes you'll see flash mobs in the middle of the street. You never know what to expect, but it's always surprisingly entertaining. U of I is that kind of school: you never know what you're going to get on any given night.

Martin

A typical weekend is filled with studying and athletic games. The Hockey games in the evenings along with the football games during the day allow for fun filled weekends. Sundays are usually devoted to studying and group meetings to catch up for the next week to start.

Corey

Thursdays are arguably the biggest night to go out on campus. This is true at most colleges, but there's nothing quite like a Thursday night at Illinois. The bars are packed on Thursday, so there is a cover charge. Cover is usually worth it at bars like KAM's, Joe's, and Red Lion. These bars are probably the best on campus. They're very social and there are dancing areas at each of them. After a great time at the bars, students will walk over to Green Street for some late night eating. Geovanti's and Fat Sandwich are perfect for adding some extra calories to your daily intake. Fridays are awesome too. As students get older, the less class they have on Fridays. Therefore, Fridays are reserved for relaxing and recovering from the night before, Students get some homework done, but they mostly just want to watch TV and hang out with friends during the day to celebrate the end of the school week. Happy hour at the bars is very fun on Fridays. The bars are just as crowded as Thursday at night and just as fun. After the bars, instead of walking to a place to eat, students will go back to their dorms or houses and order delivery from Chopstix, Jimmy John's, or Silver Mine Subs, just to name a few. Saturdays are a great time to get homework done for some students. However, if you're an avid Illinois fan like I am, Saturdays aren't ideal for homework. Football and basketball games take place in the early afternoon. Sororities and fraternities have what is called Block for the football games. This is where they will pregame early in the morning before a football game and either watch the game at home or go to the stadium and cheer on the Illini. For some students, going out two nights in a row is enough, so people will stay in on Saturday nights and do their homework. For others, the bars are a great option as well. Sundays are a day to recover and prepare for the upcoming week in school.

"Are you going out tonight?" "Where are you going tonight?" These are the typical questions you will hear people ask each other. What they mean by this is are you going out to party tonight, and if so, what bar or apartment are you going to. There is no doubt that every weekend the bars are packed, fraternities are having parties, and there are many apartment parties going on. You can always find a party, and most of the time, people are very nice and social and you meet a lot of people this way. You don't even have to drink a lot. I like to call it "social drinking" where you have a few drinks just as your talking to other people. You don't have to engage in the drinking games that usually happen at parties. There are also other things going on at the Student Union for those that don't want to drink all the time or go out and party.

Honestly, it is hard to describe a typical weekend, because there is so much variety on campus. In the fall, people often go to the weekend volleyball and football games. Football Saturdays are usually all-day events, with people arriving early in the morning to tailgate, going to the game, and celebrating victory on Green Street afterwards. In the winter, we transition to basketball, which also draws a large amount of students. Aside from sports life, there are typically parties thrown by different registered student organizations or Greek houses many weekends. Students can also hang out on Green Street, where most of the campuses restaurants and bars are located. There are lots of other random events throughout the year. Illinites are held once a month and different registered student organizations often have performances or interactive events. If nothing else, there are usually at least some students hanging out in the dorms, either doing homework together or watching a movie. There really is something to do every weekend, regardless of your interests.

Lily

I get done with class around 2pm on Fridays. Sometimes I go to work or the research lab after that, but usually I'll head back to my room, waste some time online, and talk to my roommate. I'd probably meet some people for dinner and catch up on what everybody has been up to that week. Friday nights my favorite thing to do is take a bus to the movie theater with a friend. After we get back, sometimes we wander up and down Green Street (the main campustown area) eating Insomnia Cookies, drinking hot chocolate, and watching drunk people act like idiots. One Friday night a friend and I decided to try playing tennis even though neither of us had any experience, so we drove to Meijer, bought racquets and balls, and went to the park to play. I also like to go to concerts and plays at the Krannert Center or Assembly Hall. There are some great restaurants around campus and Champaign-Urbana too. If you're imaginative enough to see beyond the bars and frat parties, there really are a lot of fun things to do on campus. Sometimes the best weekends have just been times when I've had great conversations with my friends, eaten too many good desserts, and had crazy impromptu dance parties in the hallways. Then before you know it, it's Sunday and you have to think about homework again! All good things must come to an end...

There could be a couple typical weekends. Some people just like to hang out. I've often found myself in my dorm, frat, or apartment just hanging out with friends. We might play some video games, go get some food on green street, or just sit around and talk. Other weekends I'll find myself at one of the campus bars which can get packed, and pretty crazy, on the weekends. However, if I have a rough week for school coming up I might spend a weekend in the library. A typical weekend usually consists of getting up around 11am, doing a couple hours of studying or homework, coming home and hanging out till about 10pm, and then if I'm feeling up to it I'll go out to a bar with a group of friends.

There could be a couple typical weekends. Some people just like to hang out. I've often found my self in my dorm, or frat, or apartment just hanging out with friends. We might play some video games, go get some food on green st. or just sit around and talk. Other weekends I'll find myself at one of the campus bars which can get packed on the weekends. However, if I have a rough week for school coming up I might spend a weekend in the library. A typical weekend usually consists of getting up around 11am, doing a couple hours of studying or homework, coming home and hanging out till about 10pm, and then if I'm feeling up to it I'll go out to a bar with a group of friends.

Betsy

Weekends are different for everyone around campus. Some students will party from Thursday to Sunday, others, like myself, enjoy a more quiet weekend. A typical weekend lineup for me will begin on Friday afternoon. I might go to the gym or just hang out with some friends. Every couple of Friday nights the student union hosts an event called Illinites. It is free for all students and has a range of activities including free food, games, raffles, trivia games, haunted houses, movie screenings, comedians, live bands, and more! On Saturday and Sunday I might go grocery shopping, to the movies, swimming or ice skating. When I spend time with my friends we typically watch a movie at one of our apartments, play fun games or bake.

Betsy

Weekends are different for everyone around campus. Some students will party from Thursday to Sunday, others, like myself, enjoy a more quiet weekend. A typical weekend lineup for me will begin on Friday afternoon. I might go to the gym or just hang out with some friends. Every couple of Friday nights the student union hosts an event called Illinites. It is free for all students and has a range of activities including free food, games, raffles, trivia games, haunted houses, movie screenings, comedians, live bands, and more! On Saturday and Sunday I might go grocery shopping, go to the movies, swimming, or ice skating. When I spend time with my friends we typically watch a movie at one of our apartments, play fun games, or bake.

I would say that there are typical activities that happen each weekend on the Illinois campus, but that there is no such thing as a "typical weekend". At a university this large, there is always something different to do. It's how you mix those activities that makes each weekend unique from the last. You might genuinely love going to class because you love your major, but even you will be excited when class gets out on Friday afternoon. College is a lot different from high school in that you might end class at noon on Friday, or maybe you won't have class at all. Friday evening is a time to grab dinner with your friends on Green Street, go see a movie, shop at the mall, or just hang out. Once a month the Illini Union Board sponsors Illinites, a program that is completely free to students and designed to provide an source of entertainment alternative to alcohol-related events. Saturdays in the fall are spent supporting the Fighting Illini at the home football games, or catching the plays on tv if they're away. Other sporting events are great to attend as well because the Illini have a lot of school spirit. Sundays are usually lazy days spent catching up on homework and getting ready for the week. These activities vary by person and interest. With all that Illinois and the surrounding community has to offer, I doubt that you will ever experience two identical weekends on this campus! Come visit and see for yourself!