University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign Top Questions

Describe the best and worst parts of the social scene on campus.

David

Some students complain that there is nothing to do but drink on campus. I'm here to say that that couldn't be further from truth. This would be the worst thing though; parties are always blaring, and drunk-littered streets are not uncommon. Yes, we have plenty of bars, but that social scene is not all there is on this huge campus. We have a world class stadium for football games and arena for basketball and concerts. You can meet people at the performing arts center, cultural houses and organization programming- not to mention residence hall programs that draw in the younger crowd day in and day out. If you're looking for something to do, just look around and find a sign. No, not a metaphorical sign! I mean the signs on the walls of your dorm or any other building. The Illini know how to have fun. The first few months are the best because you're experimenting with what's fun to you, and you'll get the chance to grow into a social butterfly with ease. There are programs dedicated to new students from day 1, and you'll make friends quickly as well.

Martin

The best part is the size and expansiveness of opportunities for what to do any night of the week. However, the party culture can be overbearing at times.

Corey

The thing that is very unique about Illinois is the balance between Greek life and the bar scene. Although we have the number one Greek system in the country, it isn't essential to be in a fraternity or sorority. I love the bars at Illinois. KAM's and Red Lion are probably the most popular bars on campus. Drinks are cheap, kids are social, and the dancing is abundant. The best part of the social scene also leads to the worst part of the social scene. The popularity of places like KAM's and Red Lion means that it is going to be crowded Thursday through Saturday. Because it is packed, the bars like to charge cover of $5. I hate cover. Spending an automatic $5 at the bar a couple times a weekend sucks. College kids are on such a small budget. Cover takes away from things like drinks and late night eating.

Lily

Best part: Options! No matter what you like to do for fun, and no matter what type of people you like to hang out with, you will find it/them here! There are 40,000+ students here-- how could you NOT fit in with at least somebody else!? Worst part: Like any college campus, alcohol is an ever-present issue. I don't drink, and I get a lot of weird looks when I tell people that. It's part of some universal campus culture that everyone thinks is the normal thing (or really, the ONLY thing) to do. You get dressed up, you get trashed, rinse and repeat. Where's the appeal? I just don't get it. But if that's your thing, I'm not going to stop you. Just please be smart about it, and don't puke on the floor of my bathroom for pity's sake! The good thing is,like I said before, if you don't drink,you'll still have plenty of company. I've met so many awesome, talented, and interesting people here at Illinois. We're all here because we're good students who are going to do great things with our lives, and the best part of the "social scene" here to me is having the opportunity to get to know people and develop meaningful relationships. I wouldn't trade my friends for all the tequila shots in the world. Feel free to disagree.

John

The best part about the social scene on campus is that there are so many different social scenes. Some people like to take it easy on the weekends and stay in. Some people want to go out but not drink. If this is your idea of a good weekend you may find yourself at the union or at a campus bar. And some people like to party. If you like to party UofI is great because UofI has a great apartment, fraternity, and bar scene. The worst part of the social scene is that underage drinking can get you into a lot of trouble, if not with the law, then with your health. You have to be careful.

John

Betsy

The best part of the social scene on campus is there is so much to do! The worst part of the social scene on campus is also there is so much to do! With a campus full of 40,000 students there is always an opportunity to do something fun, try something new and just get out there and have a good time. This is the best part about campus because you will never be bored. You experience so many new things as a University of Illinois student. The downside to this is because there are so many things to do, sometimes the things you want to do will overlap and you will have to choose one over another. Last weekend on the same day were a musical, acapella concert and a hockey game- all at the same time. Although it's not a bad thing that so many things are offered here, sometimes you have to pick favorites.

Betsy

The best part of the social scene on campus is there is so much to do! The worst part of the social scene on campus is also there is so much to do! With a campus full of 40,000 students there is always an opportunity to do something fun, try something new, and just get out there and have a good time. This is the best part about campus because you will never be bored. You experience so many new things as a University of Illinois student. The downside to this is because there are so many things to do, sometimes the things you want to do will overlap and you will have to choose one over another. Last weekend on the same day were a musical, acapella concert and a hockey game- all at the same time. Although it's not a bad thing that so many things are offered here, sometimes you have to pick favorites.

I may be a little bit biased since I go to school here, but I really don't think that there are any "worst parts" of the social scene at Illinois. Socially, Illinois is thrilling. There is something for everyone to do at any time, no matter what your interest. *Many registered student organizations hold social events surrounding club interests, such as bowling, camping, or fundraising. *Some students here "go Greek," which also provides opportunities to get involved in the brotherhood or sisterhood of your Greek organization. *Illinites at the Union happen once a month, with themed foods, activities, and entertainment, all for free! *There are also social events that are alcohol-related for those of legal age, but as you can see from my points above, there is plenty to do that does not involve alcohol as well. Come to Illinois to find out for yourself!

Mike

Quick talk about the social scene at U of I and the wonders it brings.