University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign Top Questions

Tell us about the sports scene on campus.

Alanna

We're a Big 10 school, so sports are a really big deal here. I personally only go to football games, which are a lot of fun. There's a designated student section called Block I in our stadium, and that's the place to be. We have our own cheers and dances that are really, so you're going to have a good time even if we lose. I've never been to a basketball game, but I can tell you it's the same as football: we have our own student cheering section, and I've heard it's a good time.

Martin

It is pervasive and amazing. You are hard pressed to find someone who does not attend one type of sporting event. Some cost and others are free. But no matter what you chose, Illini Sports are amazing.

Lihy

It seems that there are always athletic events going on or upcoming. I never went to a football game, but I did attend a women's soccer game. These events seemed like a lot of fun. I know a lot of my friends would start drinking at 9 am on Saturdays before the football game, and that just wasn't my scene. In terms of getting involved in athletics, there are tons of student groups that are sport-oriented. Also, you can join a club team fairly easily.

The sports scene is very popular on campus. About 7-10K students get season football tickets. The tailgating scene is big, though not as big as an Iowa, OSU, PSU, etc. Greek houses drink at the bars before the games, while others tailgate. It is an awesome scene in the Fall on Saturdays! The basketball scene is great! There is a student organization called Orange Krush that allows students to raise money for charity in return for giving them a seat on the court or in the stands. The student section is one of the best and loudest in the nation and the team rarely loses at home. Volleyball has grown in popularity on campus. The student section is comprised of a few hundred people that are loud and make it virtually impossible for the opposing team to win. This year the team reached the National Title game! These games are very fun even if you aren't into volleyball as they provide an opportunity to socialize while supporting your school! Other sports are also gaining popularity on campus as well such as baseball and wrestling. There are club sports that students can get involved in who were very good in high school but wanted to attend a top school educationally that didn't offer them a scholarship. Club sports are very competitive though there is always an opportunity for everyone to get involved!

Tori

On Quad Day (the day where all the sports and clubs set up shop on campus to bring in new recruits), you will clearly see the variety of sports you can play here at UIUC. From swimming to skydiving to basketball to, even the growing in popularity, ultimate frisbee, UIUC has someone for everyone. As you walk back from class, depending on the weather, you can see just about any type of club sport practicing. Sports are open to just about everyone, and if you are the athletic type, it is fairly difficult to not find something you are interested in playing. Also, the bigger, more official teams are heavily advertised and draw a large crowd to game days.

Philip

Football is in a bit of a transition now with our new head coach. Basketball is really where it's at. The community is very knowledgeable when it comes to hoops. Our team is looking nice this year. Check them out!

Lily

Personally, I'm not really in to sports, so if you're not either, there's also plenty to do without being a rabid sports fan. But, if you are one of those rabid sports fans, there are tons of ways to get involved! Illinois is a basketball school, I guess you can say, but there is no denying that there is a lot of team spirit for all of our sports, from football to hockey to tennis to volleyball. Our women's volleyball team is consistently one of the best in the country. The Harassing Illini, the student cheering (or jeering, as it is) section for the hockey team, makes games really interesting and spirited. The Orange Krush and Block- I cheering sections for basketball and football are also very popular. If you're into club sports, there's also plenty for you to do. I have friends who play Ultimate Frisbee, swim, play tennis and volleyball, and even water ski through club teams.

Lily

Personally, I'm not really in to sports, so if you're not either, there's also plenty to do without being a rabid sports fan. But, if you are one of those rabid sports teams, there are tons of ways to get involved! Illinois is a basketball school, I guess you can say, but there is no denying that there is a lot of team spirit for all of our sports, from football to hockey to tennis to volleyball. Our women's volleyball team is consistently one of the best in the country. The Harassing Illini, the student cheering (or jeering, as it is) section for the hockey team, makes games really interesting and spirited. The Orange Krush and Block- I cheering sections for basketball and football are also very popular. If you're into club sports, there's also plenty for you to do. I have friends who play Ultimate Frisbee, swim, play tennis and volleyball, and even water ski through club teams.

One of my most memorable experiences was waking up at 9am on Saturdays, draping myself in orange and heading to the football games with my roommate. I'd inevitably see my whole floor in the student section yelling at the top of their lungs and cheering on our Illini. I was here when "Juice" Williams was the quarterback. He didn't perform too well that year, but it was something I can say I saw with my own eyes that so many others will never get to see. Sports means everything to me, and U of I makes it easy for me to enjoy what I love. The sports scene here is very significant. We have one of the top women's volleyball teams, and you can go to those exciting games for free! Our basketball team is finally on its way up and the football team is sadly on its way down right now. Our major sports get a lot of press and you'll hear your fellow classmates talking about last night's game. In addition, we have a ton of club sports that are open to try-out for, and attend regularly. These are just "ball sports," there's the Illini Rowing Team, wrestling, fencing, and numerous dance squads. With 40,000 students, you have to assume that at least half of them need to let off steam with some form of physical activity, and our university caters to that need very well. We recently lost our head football coach, Ron Zook, and our offensive coordinator, Paul Petrino this month. However, our highly competitive nature just makes students care even more about the welfare of our sports reputation. No matter what people say, everyone here bleeds orange.

If you ever want to experience what 60,000 people in orange yelling at the top of their lungs is like, go to an Illinois football game. The sport scene here is big, since we are a Big Ten University. We have three levels of sports: Varsity - we usually recruit for those, so like football and basketball Club - these are competitive with tryouts and they do travel Intramural - these are not competitive and you get a group of friends together to make a team and play other groups of friends However, if you are like me, you can go to the Quad and throw a frisbee around and realize there is more than one way to throw a frisbee!

Sports are a big part of UofI, as they should be at any big ten school. Football games are a lot of fun. All the student tickets are in the same area of the stadium so you sit with a bunch of other students and yell a lot of school spirited chants that have been passed down for many years. Basketball games are equally as fun but tickets are more expensive. A lot of sporting events are free or cheap, and not ticketed, such as women's volleyball, who have been consistently good since I started attending.

Sports are a big part of UofI, as they should be with any big ten school. Football games are a lot of fun. All the student tickets are in the same area of the stadium so you sit with a bunch of other students and yell a lot of school spirited chants that have been passed down for many years. Basketball games are equally as fun but tickets are more expensive. A lot of sporting events are free or cheap and not ticketed such as women's volleyball, men's wrestling, and men's baseball.

Betsy

Because the University of Illinois is a Big Ten school, the sports scene is huge! The most popular sports on campus, men's football and basketball, are the only ones you need to pay for. Every other sports game is completely free! This year the volleyball team has been nationally ranked and even held the #1 spot for a good chunk of the year! A lot of students at Illinois are super sports fans. People paint their faces orange and wear goofy orange wigs and orange overalls to sporting events. For anyone who is interested in playing, not just watching sports, there are also intramural and club opportunities to get on the field yourself.

Betsy

Because the University of Illinois is a Big Ten school, the sports scene is huge! The most popular sports on campus, men's football and basketball, are the only ones you need to pay for. Every other sports game is completely free! This year the volleyball team has been nationally ranked and even held the #1 spot for a good chunk of the year! A lot of students at Illinois are super sports fans. People paint their faces orange and wear goofy orange wigs and overalls to sporting events. For anyone who is interested in playing, not just watching sports, there are intramural and club opportunities to get on the field yourself.

Betsy

Because the University of Illinois is a Big Ten school, the sports scene is huge! The most popular sports on campus, men's football and basketball, are the only ones you need to pay for. Every other sports game is completely free! This year the volleyball team has been nationally ranked and even held the #1 spot for a good chunk of the year!

The University of Illinois has a vast sports scene. We have 21 NCAA Division I men's and women's sports teams that compete nationally for titles, as well as competitive club sports such as hockey. These sports draw the interest of many student spectators, and a popular group activity is to attend an Illinois sporting event. In addition to competitive varsity sports, Illinois also offers students intramural activities and club sports so that everyone has the chance to be involved. If you're not interested in organized sports but still enjoy maintaining an active lifestyle, visit either of the two state-of-the-art recreational facilities at Illinois. They offer exercise machines, weight rooms, various courts for different indoor sports, and group fitness classes to motivate you to get moving.

Illinois fans go crazy at Legends Bar as Illinois defeats Wisconsin in 2004/2005 to remain undefeated and to snap the nations longest homecourt winning streak

Illinois State song-Marching Illini. Homecoming 2007

Chief's Last Dance on ESPN 2/21/2007

The University of Illinois Marching Illini perform in the 119th Tournament of Roses Parade in Pasadena, CA on January 1,