University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign Top Questions

What are some hot-button issues on campus?

Martin

Hot button issues revolve around sports and the latest scandals in Illinois politics.

Recently, we've been dealing with campus safety and a smoking ban. The ban is something students had the opportunity to vote on, considering health codes and student rights. Campus safety is something our campus leaders strive to improve. We need to make better connections with campus and Champaign-Urbana police as students because they really are looking out for us. Administrators have done much to make the streets safe to walk through at night, including survalience at certain spots, safe-rides and safe-walks programs and partnerships with the police in the area.

I think that the most current hot-button issue on this campus is the fact that Fighting Illini Football coach Ron Zook was recently fired after coming in 0-6 for the second half of this season. While some say that it was unnecessary and that Zook definitely improved the Illinois football team over the last 7 seasons that he coached, others say exactly the opposite. However, it seems to be widely agreed upon that the Illini football team needs a coach who is going to make some bigger changes and be a true leader in implementing these adjustments for the team. Ultimately, the goal is to have the best football team that we can have at this university.

Betsy

One hot-button issue on campus is crime. The University of Illinois police department sometimes emails and texts students Crime Alerts. These alerts tell of a crime that happened with detail about the offense, the offender and the location of the crime. These emails are sent out to warn students about making smart choices with their safety, but sometimes it causes students to panic. In general, crime at the University has decreased in recent years, but since Crime Alerts have increased, some students do not feel safe on campus, especially at night. Because of this the University has implemented a completely free service called Safe Rides, which will give you a free ride anywhere on campus from 5 p.m. until 6:30 a.m. There is also a service called Safe Walks where student patrol members will walk you to your destination anywhere from 9 p.m. to 3 a.m. also for free.

Recently students and faculty just voted to create a smoking ban on campus, meaning smoking would be banned on all campus property.

Recently students a faculty just voted to create a smoking ban on campus, meaning smoking would be banned on all campus property.