University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign Top Questions

Dalton

Basketball

Anqi

There are many of them. Volunteer group is one of the biggest one.

.

-

Alanna

The most popular groups/organizations on campus is a tough answer, because we have a large amount. By far, I would answer our frats and sororities, because we have the largest Greek system in the U.S. Personally, I'm not in a sorority, but a lot of my residents are. They really enjoy it because they have plenty of friends in the sorority, and they host plenty of fundraisers. I'm not going to lie, they are also notorious for their parties. U of I is a party school for some people, but not everyone parties hard. Some people feel that they have to go out every weekend, but the majority will go out a few times a month just to blow off steam. Some never go out, and there's never a peer pressure situation where someone will criticize you for not going out. People tend to gravitate towards people who have the same drinking and sleeping habits, so that's never an issue. I'm involved in Phi Alpha Theta- UIUC History Honors Society. I'll be Treasurer for the second year in a row. We primarily provide tutoring for lower level history classes, and host fun activities for our members. It's a great network because I can ask around about a history class or certain professor, and figure out what classes I want to take next semester. It also helps to have a support group when you're writing your thesis. I actually met my closest friends in the dorms. I live in the "nerdy" dorm, which is pretty true to an extent. Our dorm is pretty good about keeping doors open while playing video games, so people feel free to wander in and see what game is being played. If I'm awake at 2AM on a Tuesday, I'm most likely studying, but there is a chance I'll be up with people playing games. That's probably what I would do on a Saturday night (and Friday and Sunday night) that doesn't involve drinking...

Alanna

Gretta

Sports events and going out to eat and hang out on Green Street.

I am involved in a plethera of activities. I am in Service and Justice Outreach (service), the Veritas Forum (Christian), and FOCUS (Christian). I have been involved with an ultimate frisbee team (sports), LAS 101 internship (professional development), undergraduate research (professional development), and more. There are many ways to get involved in these sectors and more be it by joining our basketball fan club Orange Crush or the local knitting group.

Fraternities and Sororities are huge on campus. While I am currently not involved in a sorority, most of my friends are. I have attended many sorority events with them and they have shown me how great being in a sorority can be, so I am going to rush next year. If sororities and fraternities aren't for you, there are hundreds and hundreds of organizations. Every school at UIUC has an organization that you can be a part of. There are also club sports that you can try out for if you're an athlete, or intramural sports that you can create a team and play if you maybe aren't a star athlete or not a serious athlete and just want to have some fun with your friends. Athletics are hugely popular here, no matter what level. Everyone goes to the games and supports their team! Dating can be easy if you're open minded. It's not hard to meet people in class, in line somewhere, on the bus, out at the bar, or through mutual friends. Somebody you know will know somebody that you could work well with. I met my closest friends here on campus through friends I knew in high school, and one of my friends met her boyfriend through another friend of hers. It's a chain reaction here on campus and everybody is excited to know everybody else. No one feels alone here on campus, there's always someone to talk to or run into. Last weekend, I went to a few frat houses with my friends and then an apartment. I had a great weekend, ending the second night at a bar which was crowded and I ran into around 12 people that I knew. If you're not into drinking, you can still go to the bars or parties- if you say no, people will usually not pressure you. Respect is big on campus. Also, there is the mall on campus that I mentioned and there is a movie theatre nearby. There are also many shops and restaurants right on campus.

.

The most popular groups on campus would probably be either honor societies, business fraternities or social fraternities/sororities. However, there are over 500 student organizations on campus so you will have no problem finding one you like participating in. Intermural sports are also popular if you are the athletic type. Many popular organizations are very involved in on-campus and off-campus volunteering projects- it is good to give back to your community!

Jen

We are part of the big 10 so sports are a big part of this campus. Also, Greek life is very important. There are also hundreds of clubs that can range from academic groups to social interest groups. There are always events going on, whether its a play or a sports game. There are tons of clubs that are always looking for more members.

Ran

The most popular student activity is hanging out at the campus bars. These bars are 19+, so you can go in soon after you enter college. However, alcohol can only be served to those who are 21+. The bars are popular not because of the drinking, but because people can gather with their friends, share some Irish Nachos and wings, and watch some games. There are over 10 bars on campus, and everyone has different preferences (pubs to watch games, or clubs to dance the night away).

Mayank

Fighting Illini

The most popular would definitely be sororities and fraternities. The amount of organizations are enormous, which is over 95 organizations that are fraternities or sororities. I am involved in one of these groups and it is amazing. There is so much to do and meeting new people all the time. Also people party hard in the mainstream frats. The minority frats do not receive as much attention but they are also pretty big within the Latino community. I met my closest friends through the interest group for a Latina sorority. It was the best experience of my life, which I absolutely love.

The U of I has a lot of RSOs on campus and its up to you to decide what you think you would like. At the beginning of each year we have a huge Quad Day where most of the RSOs come out and provide lots of information to incoming students. You can ask them questions to gauge whether it is right for you and sign up to receive additional information via email.

In terms of student organizations, I'd say Greek life has the most amount of students. But there are clubs and organizations of every interest. In terms of partying, you can go out literally every night if you wanted to. I'd say that most students (at least in greek life) go out about 3-4 times a week. Most of the bars are only 19 to get in, so the bars are always hopping. In terms of frats and sororities, they usually have at least one exchange a week. These exchanges are usually themed from anything from superheroes to anything but clothes. Unofficial short for unofficial St.Patrick's day is probably Illinois' most storied party tradition. It takes place the first friday of March and most students decide to skip class. Some professors are nice and give you the day off, but sometimes teachers aren't nice about and purposely schedule a test.

Luyao

Fighting Illini is the major topic of the whole university. We have one of the best football teams in the US, and you can't imagine the situation at the assembly hall every gameday. Also, there are countless other student clubs. You can almost find everything you like on campus.

Corey

There are so many opportunities for students to get involved on campus. There are hundreds of registered student organizations (RSOs) that cover a wide variety of interests from accounting to zoology. Get involved! One of my favorites is the Orange Krush, which I was involved in last year. It's the student section at the home basketball games. They are a very passionate, dedicated, and rowdy bunch. In order to join, one must raise hundreds of dollars that go to many worthy causes.

Martin

Greek Fraternities

Tony

greek, cultural organizations, and theme-based clubs as well as graduate student organizations such as the black graduate student orgs.

Tori

Honestly, the most popular organization on campus has to be the Greek system. I, however, am on the opposite end of the spectrum. In high school, I was highly involved in academics, like the scholastic bowl, and the arts, such as choir and musicals. Once in college, I continued these activities by being involved in my dorm's a cappella group and auditioning for any production put on student-run theatre troupes. While I do not know the habits of the other residence halls, in my dorm, Allen Hall, residents leave their doors open all the time. Athletic events, such as basketball and football, even hockey, are very popular. School pride is huge here. We have even had guest speakers, such as Common, and the response has been very positive. All kinds of traveling troupes bring productions through the Assembly Hall, and tickets usually sell out quickly. Dating here is pretty easy since you are bound to find someone who shares the same interests as you! I met my closest friends through my dorm's orientation, the 2015 class discussion page on Facebook, and just by wandering the halls and quad. If I am awake at 2 am on a weekday, I am usually on my computer or hanging out in a friend's room. Each dorm has its own traditions, such as mine as that has a week long celebration after returning from Thanksgiving Break called Allen Hall-iday. It is much like a homecoming spirit week with dress-up days, festive gingerbread house making, and a dance at the end of the week. UIUC, like any college, has partying, and while there are parties every weekend, people usually do not feel pressured to go to them, much like the fraternities and sororities. Last weekend, I went shopping with my friends at the mall, to a dance in my dorm, and did laundry on Sunday. The university also offers several alternatives to partying such as bowling or karaoke at the Illini Union or perhaps seeing a movie in Savoy.

For the past 4 years, I really dove into things on campus. We have so much to offer and my freshman year showed me all that I could get my hands on at an event called "Quad Day." At this event, over 200 student organizations set up a table outside on the grass and hand out fliers explaining how great they are. It's a wonderful way to meet new people and find out what you can do on campus to satisfy your individual interests and find new ones. i am African-American, and the first student group I joined was the Philippine Student Association. I had no idea why, perhaps it was the cute girl holding a flag that urged me to come to the ice cream social. I'm not quite sure anyway. As scared as I was to approach all of them the day of their social event, I measure every step trying to figure out when I could leave. But when I started talking to everyone, I didn't want to leave, and I never did. This organization has given me best friends, future colleagues and a lovely companion. It's amazing to me even to this day because I really never thought I'd stick with it, but it's proven to be one of the main reasons I enjoyed college so much. I do a lot, so I'll try to keep it short: I've maintained my own column in our student-run newspaper, The Daily Illini; I am currently a resident advisor, taking care of 60 young men; I work for CITES, our campus tech support team; I'm the president of the U of I chapter of the National Association of Black Journalists: I am currently an athletic advisor for the Philippine Student Association's sporting events; I coach a a girls' football team that competes in an annual tag tournament; I'll stop before this list gets too long. It's hard to determine a few "most popular" activities here. There are so many to choose from, it's nearly impossible Our Greek system is the largest in the country, and our student organizations put on non-alcoholic events all the time. Just because you're in college doesn't mean you have to take shots every night. Our performing arts centers put on shows weekly, and Assembly Hall has concerts every month! There's always something to do here; call it "mini-Vegas." Even if you live in a dormitory, there are hall programs that cater to every possible interest for residents to enjoy. If I had to pick one thing that students absolutely must do before they graduate, I'd say seeing every sporting event at least once. We have a number of athletic teams that play other schools or other students in intramurals, and they are so exciting! I haven't seen every sport yet, but I am close. School spirit is big down here, and what better way to show it than to support the baseball, hockey, wrestling, football, volleyball, tennis various other teams? See them all at least once, and then you can call yourself an Illini.

Dillon

As anyone from U of I will tell you, there's over a 1000 RSOs (Registered Student Organizations) on campus, so absolutely anything you're into will be covered- and on the off chance it's not, you can always go out and make your own. Some of the clubs are decades and decades old and have gotten pretty well-established. The most popular clubs are probably the Greek houses, since there's so many houses here. Also popular are all the inter-mural sports and martial arts clubs. I joined one of the karate clubs and it was really fun, we trained hard and the instructors were students so we also got to do a lot of fun stuff. There's always a hundred things to do Friday nights, from going out and getting sloshed to going off-campus to seeing a play or listening to live music. If you don't want to go out drinking a particular night, there's plenty of activities going on, and every Friday there's some kind of event at the Union (Illi-nites) as well as bunches of others like pickup basketball games and concerts and video games and more. And if you do want to go out drinking, we have a lot- a lot- of bars campustown and uptown and downtown and, of course, frat houses and apartments aplenty. Surprisingly, there's plenty of quiet spots too if you want to study or just want some quiet. The dorm doors are usually open around campus depending on your dorm (and floor), as each sort of has it's own flavor. Anyway, whether you want to go out and rage or just play some video games with a few close friends, there's always something fun to do around Chambana. That's Champaign and Urbana combined into one word, we sometimes call it that when we don't feel like saying the two cities.

I would definitely say Greek life, because it involves almost 30 percent of the undergraduate life. It's nice that they don't pressure you to drink because being in one offers you to be involved in many different activities within the community, Greek community, campus and within your own house. I'm in a sorority and it's how I met my closest friends. I have no idea how I would have spent my almost 4 years in college without being in a sorority or meeting them. There is a big nightlife and bar scene, but it doesn't comprise everyone. There are a lot of clubs that offer great experiences, like for example I joined the Ski and Snowboard club which I learned how to snowboard!

IVY

There are tons of student organzations on campus. So many that I can not name them all. However, I found this website to be handy when choosing: http://illinois.collegiatelink.net/organizations. All organzations that are registered is listed in a directory for your browsing pleasure. And if this isn't enough, every semester student organzation host a big event to introduce themselves to prospective memembers. It's called Quad Day. Hundreds of groups set up informational tables on the quad to talk to students about their group. There are tons of give-a-ways and you can meet the the members of a group your interested in joining face to face. I am currently a member of the National Association of Black Journalist group on campus. We host timely events focused on current events, career workshops and advising sessions. Since, I live off campus, I find myself commuting a lot to make the meeting during the week. But the public transportation on and off campus if really dependable.

Jeff

Greek life is huge. Football and men's basketball are very popular, especially on the rare occasion that they're playing well. I work for the school newspaper, The Daily Illini. It has been a very rewarding experience. Dorms for the most part are social. You can find almost anything of interest to do if you put any effort in at all. A lot of great musical acts come through Champaign since it's situated between St. Louis and Chicago. Unoffical Saint Patrick's Day is an incredibly big deal here, if drinking is your thing. If it isn't you might want to consider a different school. A lot (but not all) of weekend activity revolves around drinking. There is a percentage of campus that does not drink, but it is definitely in the minority.

Ana

I think some of the popular activities on campus are the multicultural and community services kind. They are the ones that help us interact with more than one person and that is something that will help us in the future as well.

Thousands of students are a part of the Greek life. Sororities and fraternities are everywhere and there's one for every type of person. That's a pretty huge activity at Illinois. Then there are club sports, which many are involved in. Not everyone is a D1 athlete, so luckily students still have the opportunity to continue their athletic career through these club sports that also travel to other universities, but do not need as much commitment. Athletic events are really popular because we take pride in Illini teams and there are usually teams that do well in every sport. Girl's soccer and volleyball did really well this season so that was a fun activity to be a part of. There are a lot of guest speakers here on campus, and many students make an effort to go. Not only are there guest speakers, but the concert scene is great. Lupe Fiasco, Death Cab For Cutie and Drake are just a few of the artists that have been here this year so far. Illinois is a school that works hard, but we tend to play harder. Bars a huge part of campus life and basically any night of the week, from a Monday night to a Saturday night, there are students in the streets visiting the different bars. A lot of sports and clubs will have bar crawls to bring the students together, which is also a really fun activity that not every school has to offer. If you don't enjoy the party scene, there are also a lot of sober events that take place. Many students, surprisingly, divulge in these sorts of events. Some may stay in and get some extra studying time in, which is totally fine. Others may catch a movie. The Union, which is a building in the center of campus, has a bowling alley and game room that have competitions every week. There a lot of nice, sit-down restaurants that student's can go to. There is definitely something for everyone.

Lihy

This is particular to what you're looking for. So if you're interested in hearing about this stuff then let's chat. It really depends on the individual and what they're interests are. There isn't something that EVERYONE (all 40,000 of us) do.

Liz

I would say the most popular student activity would be Alpha Phi Omega. It's one of the service fraternities on campus. Now, reading the word "fraternity" gives you the preconceived notion that this is a social fraternity where it's all boys and they live in a Greek house. False! This is a volunteer oriented group where males and females are welcome to join. It's cool because there are numerous volunteer opportunities through this group and there are a lot of students involved with this. Another one would probably be the Greek system. All students are welcome to check them out and go through the rush process. It's not for everyone but it's worth checking out and seeing if it is for you! Depending on which dorm and area you live in, there will always be social kids and some who don't really care about going out. I've met my best friends in my dorm freshman year who I am now currently living with. Athletic events are very popular here at the U of I. The football and mens basketball games are always packed! It's fun to be a part of the student section and cheer on the team. It's a great to be involved with school spirit and you see some of the craziest costumes at these sporting events. If I'm awake at 2 am on a Tuesday, I'm probably in my friend's room laughing at jokes or watching a sitcom with them. On another Tuesday at 2 am, I'm visiting a friend at another dorm on campus just to chat. I personally don't drink but I LOVE to dance! I go out with my girlfriends to dance and I have a great time without drinking. Aside from going out, there are so many things you could do on a Saturday night on campus. There's a bowling alley inside the student union on campus and it's actually not that expensive! There are two movie theaters on campus where you can easily take a bus to get there. There's also a mall off campus which you can take the bus to as well.

One of the biggest weaknesses of Illinois is its fan base. It does not compare to the other Big Ten schools. Illinois sports have been questionable since their Rose Bowl run and Final Four run, and students don’t show as much support at games. An amazing aspect of Illinois is the amount of groups and activities there are to join. I wish I could name every group or type of activity, but there are thousands. If you come to Illinois and can’t find your niche then you only have yourself to blame with all of the unique opportunities Illinois has to offer.

There are so many student organizations it is impossible not to find one that you would enjoy, and if there is not a group for one of your passions you can make one. I am currently involved with Accounting Club, Habitat for Humanity, and my dorm's Hall Council. It is very easy to get involved here on campus. Along with clubs, there are many fun athletic events that you can attend. I met my closest friends here by walking around and meeting new people in my dorm. People always leave their doors open so it is really easy to just walk in and start talking to people.

We have over 1200 registered student organizations on campus (RSOs). I've talked about them already in a different answer, but I will touch on them again. The most popular group on campus is Illini Pride which is the cheering student section for most varsity sports including basketball, football and volleyball. The most popular sport on campus is definitely Ultimate Frisbee because Frisbee in general is the favorite past-time (even I have mastered the Hammer throw!). Oh goodness, I am involved in so many groups on campus, I can barely keep track. I am president of my Honor Society, Sigma Alpha Lambda. We focus on leadership, academics and service and expanding our impact on both the campus and community. Switching to a different note, students are very open to making friends here, for instance, most students living in a residence hall will leave their door open to make friends and get to know their floor much quicker. That is how I met my closest friends, most definitely. The other way I met my best buddies was through Marching Illini. I have a small tight-knit group of friends that I love dearly and hang out with all the time. I also love my roommates, which if I am awake on a weekday at 2am, it is because my roommates and I are hanging out and having either a "heart-to-heart" or we're helping/cheerleading each other to get all of our homework done. Both of my roommates have boyfriends, one has been dating her boyfriend since high school and the other since sophomore year of college. While I am single, the dating scene is pretty big with 40,000 people on this campus. A tradition on our campus that goes along with the dating scene is the eternal flame that is located next to Lincoln Hall on the Quad. It is said that if you kiss your love under the eternal flame, you will forever have eternal bliss. Other traditions include, IlliNOISE week, Dad's Weekend, Mom's Weekend and Homecoming just to name a few. Now with traditions, comes partying. Students here usually go out or party once or twice a week is the norm. While we have the largest Greek life in the nation in regards to number of chapters, only 22{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} of our student body is Greek. I personally am not Greek but I have many friends that are and they love it! But even thought I am not Greek, there is so much to do here that I don't feel like I am missing out. For instance, if you are looking for something to do on a Saturday night that doesn't involve drinking, we have laser tag, bowling, ice skating to just name a few. You can still go out to a bar and dance with your friends the whole night long, you just don't buy a drink and it's no problem at all. You can hang out with friends, order pizza and have a Disney movie night like I did last Saturday with a bunch of boys...yes...boys.

Vita

One of my favorite aspects of Illinois is all the activities you can join. Illini Pride is the largest registered student organization (RSO) on campus and it's essentially the student cheering section for athletics. This includes Orange Crush for basketball, Block I for football, Spike Squad for volleyball and one for every sport. Other RSOs include October Lover which has quite the following; they will carve pumpkins, go to Curtis Apple Orchard...just because they love October. While Illini Pride is a school spirited club and October Lovers is more recreational, there are professional organizations as well. From pre-professional organizations such as Pre-Law club or Pre-Physical Therapy club to professional business fraternities. These RSOs look good on your resume and can help connect you with the right people for jobs. Speaking of fraternities, we also have the largest Greek system in the nation. This is by number of chapters, not the number of students who participate because only about 1/4 of students participate in Greek Life. However, it is open to every student and there are social and professional chapters. For me, one RSO that has made my experience is Student Alumni Ambassadors. It's a group of about 75 students, all different years and majors, and our missions is to connect students and alumni through Illini pride and foster a united Illinois community. We put on programs such as Homecoming, Illini Sights and Sounds, which incoming students attend after convocation, and Gradfest, which all graduating students are invited to. Besides the fact that SAA is all about impacting Illinois and garnering school spirit, the people are truly unique and driven. I've found some of my best friends in SAA. We can talk about improving the organizations or how to better Illinois and then also talk about boyfriend/girlfriend issues or what our crazy friend did last night. These people and this organization have guided me into who I am and I owe it to them and Illinois. Long story short...GET INVOLVED.

Vita

Lily

There are over 1,000 Registered Student Organizations (RSOs) or clubs here on campus. In other words, there is literally something for everyone. A lot of the groups are academic or service-centered, but there are a lot just for fun. One of the most popular groups is October Lovers, a place for people who love fall. They go to pumpkin patches and apple orchards and have bonfires. There's all kinds of club and intramural sports for people who like that kind of thing, and there are about a million musical groups, theater troupes, and improv outfits. Sororities and fraternities are pretty popular since we have the largest number of chapters of any college in the nation, but only about a quarter of students are actually a part of them. So we have a lot of variety, but it's not like being Greek is the only thing to do on campus by any means! There are plenty of honors and professional fraternities as well. Freshman year, a lot of the people that you become friends with are people in your residence hall. Keep your door open and you will meet a lot of people. Go to floor events too, especially in the first few weeks. Yeah, some of them might feel a little silly, but trust me it is worth it. Getting involved in your community is one of the best things you can do to make yourself feel more at home. Now, I see the same people over and over again in my classes and clubs. For a big school, Illinois is surprisingly tight-knit. A lot of people say it, but it's really true: you can make a big school feel small, but it's hard to make a small school feel big. My sister went to a tiny school, and she hated everybody by her senior year. I'm meeting new people every day, but I'm still surrounded by familiar faces. It's a great life.

There are some big organizations on campus such as Illini Pride and Orange Krush. These are student organizations are centered around sports games like football and basketball, which a lot of people go to. These groups consist of thousands of members and help students get good deals on campus as far as sports tickets and sportswear go. Student groups at UofI are called RSOs (registered student organizations) and there are hundreds of them. Anything from fencing, to sports, to jam bands, to comedy groups, to debate teams, to chemistry fanatics (check out http://illinois.collegiatelink.net). I am involved in the Illini Racquetball Club team. We meet twice a meet for "Practice" where we play racquetball matches. We have tournaments once a month and get to travel to other schools nearby like Indiana, Purdue, and Bradley, as well as hosting our own tournament. I'm also a member of a fraternity. Greek life is the biggest in the nation at UofI, meaning about 6,000 students are in a fraternity or sorority. Being in a frat/sorority isn't necessarily important but it helps you meet a lot of people very quickly, although if your not in one you'll still be able to make friends no problem. Some of my best friends are not in my fraternity and I met them freshman year in my dorm. I had a great dorm freshman year. People on my floor left there doors open and a lot of us were friends. This isn't always the case but you'll find it is a lot of the time. There is a big drinking holiday on campus called Unofficial St. Patrick's day. It's usually referred to as Unofficial for short. Basically people just get up early and drink all day. It never really gets out of hand but if your sober it's a weird experience walking down the street. Some people party like this all the time and some people don't at all. There are a lot of bars on campus and you only need to be 19 to get in (18 in Urbana). But besides that there is a lot to do on campus that doesn't involve drinking. The student union has a bowling alley and arcade inside. Chamapaign has a lot of great shopping, restaurants, theaters, and a mall.

Betsy

The University of Illinois has the biggest Greek life community in the country. This means students are involved in fraternities and sororities. They give students the opportunity to become involved in philanthropy, campus activities and have a colorful social life. Every Greek organization is different. Some are purely social, while others are academic and professional. Either way, fraternities and sororities will always have a spot on your resume based on their amazing opportunities of getting involved with charities. Another popular student club is October Lovers. True to its name this group savors the feelings of fall and partakes in activities such as jumping in leaves, making bonfires, roasting marshmallows for s'mores, apple and pumpkin picking, barndance and more. Students love this club because it gives a wide range of people the opportunity to come together and do activities they love. One of the more "out there" clubs on campus is called Falling Illini. It's a sky diving club that gives students the opportunity to try out this extreme sport and even become certified in diving solo if you want. With over 1,000 groups and clubs, even if these activities do not catch your interest it is impossible not to hear about an organization on campus that would be right for you. One of the best parts about the University of Illinois is the ability to get involved in so many things. Take advantage of it!

If there is one thing that almost every student is involved with on the U of I campus, it is athletics. The University of Illinois is home to 19 scholarship teams. While basketball and football are favorites among the students, many also spend Friday nights watching our elite volleyball team or catch a women's soccer game on a Sunday afternoon. For those who don't enjoy sports, they can find a group for almost everything that suits their interest. If one doesn't exist, they can start it! Many student groups do not require any set level of commitment, so students can be as involved as they choose to be. Aside from clubs and sports, it is easy for students to make friends in the dorms, especially in the beginning weeks of the school year. The welcome week activities before the school year begin are a great place to start making friends and becoming familiar with the campus. While many students do enjoy a night out on the town, there are many alternatives. One such alternative is Illinites, hosted by the Illini Union once a month on Friday night. Each Illinite has a set theme and features free entertainment, activities, and food.

Greek life is by far the most popular groups on campus. The recruitment process each fall is publicized by all fraternities and sororities and freshman are quite aware of it. Business fraternities are very popular as well. However, there are over 1,000 registered student organizations so there is not just one popular club to be in on campus. There is something for everyone. I am involved in the Student Advisory Committee for the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences. I am the co-chair and the students on this committee work on advising issues, class time issues, admissions efforts, and much more. We have been able to advise the Dean on various issues and students can contact us with suggestions or concerns. Their voice is most defiantly heard by the College. The faculty is very receptive. Athletic events are very well-attended by students. Students have a great deal of pride about sports. Many students are single and are very social. There are also many people that are dating, but I would say there is no pressure to date and most of the relationships are not very serious until after graduation. That being said there are many people that become open to dating less seriously. I met my best friends at clubs and through my fraternity. My fraternity has allowed me to meet so many friends of friends that now are my best friends. I have met people at parties at my house and also through other social events that the house has. I have joined organizations that people in the house are in on campus and developed close friends there. I don't know what I would be like if I didn't join the house because so many of my friends came from it. If I am awake late, I either am at a bar as the bar scene is extremely popular since the entry age is only 19 (21 to drink) or I am studying on my computer. People go out to the bars quite a bit or apartment/fraternity parties every weekend. People do drink a lot and you can always find someone to go out with. However, there are many opportunities such as guest speakers, lectures, and events at the Student Union to attend if one does not want to become involved in the party scene. Fraternity and sororities have a huge presence, but are very accepting of anyone and social.

Betsy

The University of Illinois has the biggest Greek life in the country. This means students are involved in fraternities and sororities. They give students the opportunity to become involved in philanthropy, campus activities, and have a colorful social life. Every Greek organization is different. Some are purely social, while others are academic and professional. Either way, fraternities and sororities will always have a spot on your resume based on their amazing opportunities of getting involved with charities. Another popular student club is October Lovers. True to its name this group savors the feelings of fall and partakes in activities such as jumping in leaves, making bonfires, roasting marshmallows for s'mores, apple and pumpkin picking, barndance, and more. Students love this club because it gives a wide range of people to come together doing activities they love. One of the more "out there" clubs on campus is called Falling Illini. It's a sky diving club that gives students the opportunity to try out this extreme sport and even become certified in diving solo if you want. With over 1,000 groups and clubs, even if these activities do not catch your interest it is impossible not to hear about an organization on campus that would be right for you. One of the best parts about the University of Illinois is the ability to get involved in so many things. Take advantage of it!

The sorority and fraternity life at Illinois is very active with over 20{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} of the student population involved in a chapter. However, students are also involved in many pre-professional organizations. I met some of my closest friends through living in the dorms freshman year, in fact, I just signed a lease with four of them for next year.

Illinois has a large Greek community on campus. In fact, a little over 22{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} of the student body identifies as belonging to a fraternity or sorority. If your interest lies here, you will find a group of guys or girls who fit with who you are and your future goals. While this is a great way to get involved and make connections with new people, there are other ways to do this as well. For those interested in service or belonging to a professional club for academic and career advancement, Illinois offers over 1,000 registered student organizations (RSOs). Available groups range from recreational/sports clubs to academic clubs to service organizations. No matter your interest, there is an RSO for you--if not, you can start your own! Sporting events are also popular among Illinois students. While football and basketball have huge followings and are really fun to attend, many students also enjoy watching hockey, volleyball, soccer, gymnastics, track & field, and more. In addition to watching sports, Illinois also promotes a healthy lifestyle by offering two state-of-the-art recreational centers for student use. Club sports and group fitness classes are really popular, but weight rooms and exercise machines are also available for quick workouts. For students looking for Friday night activities that do not involve alcohol, Illinites is the place to be. Offered once a month at the Illini Union, Illinites is a special program organized by the Illinois Union Board. There are entertainment skits, arts & crafts projects, and free themed foods, all run by Illinois students. It's a great way to spend a Friday night and get to know other Illinois students. With all of these options, Illinois students always have something to do!

UIUC has been respectable in sports in the past. The last couple years has been tough, but you'll always have a good time regardless. There is a tailgate scene here, and it has a alumni presence, but the majority of pre and post game fun is on the town. All the bars (which, by the way, are 19 to get into) will open early and you'll definitely be in for a good time if you're looking to get pumped up for a football game. As a basketball lover, I really like the Illini. They aren't ever really "seen" by the nation as a competitor pre-season, but they also throw together a decent squad. You never go into a season not expecting a thrill, that much I can promise you. Socially, I think you're required to live in the dorms, which is what I would highly recommend if you even have a choice. Furthermore, target the "six-pack". That is without a doubt the best array of dorms to be in. A quick search will tell you what those dorms are. If you're really needing great Air Conditioning, the best choice for you would be PAR/FAR. However, the brand new centralized dining hall in the six pack is a for sure sell on where to live. You'll want to eat there for 4 years.

chris

U of I has over 1,000 student organization, from a skydiving club to a tight rope on the quad club. We have anything and everything so you can find ways to get involved in order to learn more about yourself, including what you're passionate about. Getting involved is also the perfect way to make friends. Not only do we have student organizations, but we also have social fraternities, professional fraternities, academic fraternities, and tons of exciting intramural sports.

Isabella

The dating scene peaks in your freshman year because everyone (including you) is new...however, it kind of simmers as the years go by. However, there are always new people so don't fret! I just starting dating this guy last semester who I had known since freshman year and things are great :)

The sports and greek life are most popular.

Greek Life on campus is definitely pretty prevalent. However, it's not all there is on campus. There are so many different, cool, quirky groups on campus that anyone might want to try out. I am in a co-ed honors fraternity which is an example of something a little bit different from the stereotypical Greek life. It's an organization that combines different elements such as social, service, and scholarship. These elements are highlighted through different activites. Participation in Relay for Life, Teach for America, day trips to areas of Illinois to learn about our capitol and the Amish, and Barn dance, and Formal are just examples of different events that we plan and participate in. Some people on campus take partying to a new level. It's important to be able to be self aware and know yourself and what you can handle while still being an effective student.

You really have to try not to meet someone new everyday. And that is my favorite part about the U of I. Today, and I'm being honest here, I was walking out of my Philosophy 101 class, and one of my classmates, whom I've never talked to before, followed me out and asked how I did on the quiz we took last friday. I told him, and we quickly got into a full on conversation in which I learned that he is a sophomore *technically* because he left school after his freshman year to be in the army. He's back now and looking for some new people to talk to because most of his friends are in junior standing, and he doesn't know anyone in his classes. Everyone on campus is willing to talk, to share their stories, to tell you the latest gossip or to explain a really hard STAT problem to you. I've never had a problem getting help from my peers, and I think that it's impossible not to meet new people. U of I is so big! and that's why meeting people is so easy, and you meet so many different kinds of people. I've met the most interesting, hilarious, and all-around amazing people of my life here at the U of I, and I continue to meet new and exciting people every day. And you meet people everywhere! On the quad, in class, at Jimmy Johns(the biggest sandwich place on campus), at a philanthropy event, and at the bars! U of I isn't all about the studying, it's about the party scene too. With the biggest Greek system in the country its no surprise that we are home to huge frat parties that last into the early hours. Every weekend is a party, and also, every weekday is a party. The bars are open every night if you can't find a frat party to hang out at, and the bars welcome students with tons of drink specials.

When school starts, one of the first things you'll notice is how many football fans there are. It seems like every saturday, half of the campus, if not more, is making there way over to the stadium. When I was a freshman, I felt like an outsider because I wasn't interested in the games at first. As I joined clubs, I felt more relaxed and welcome, finding my niche with other groups. If you look around, you'll realize there is something to do everyday whether it's theatre, a intramural sport, watching a movie on the quad, etc. Joining these activities are also the places where you can find many of your friends. This is how I made friends but my best friends are from my dorm. U of I is known as a party to school to those that visit. This is pretty accurate. Most Friday and Saturdays (some Sundays, Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays) you can see groups of dressed up girls and boys heading toward the bars and various apartment parties. This doesn't mean there is nothing else to do on the weekend. One of the student organizations on campus organizes 'dry' events for students to participate in. This may sound boring to some people but I've actually been to a few of these and I can personally say they are fun.

The dorms are incredibly fun to live in because everyone is really friendly. People are always leaving their doors open, and it's really easy to meet new people. Fraternities and sororities are huge at Illinois, but there are lots of things to do even if you aren't in one. the front desks in the dorms have games and movies that you can rent, there's bowling and arcade games in the union, and you can always hang out in people's rooms in the dorms.