University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign Top Questions

What's the dating scene like?

Alanna

I think you can always find someone because campus and classes are so large. A lot of my friends are dating, but they usually date people here who go to U of I. It's a little hard going long distance, but some couples make it through. There's certainly plenty to do for dates. You can go to the movies, one of a million restaurants, do something at the Union, or go on a picnic in our Japanese Gardens.

Martin

With a large campus, dating scene varies like any small town.

Dating at U of I is exciting because there are so many different people. You may be interested in only one type of guy/girl right now, there are hundreds of types of fish in the sea. You'll see many interracial couples here. Given that there is so much to do on campus, there will be no shortage of dates for you, whether you're into art, bar-hopping, poetry readings or athletics. The main point of the dating scene is that there is variety in all aspects, so be prepared to try something new. Everyone's generally friendly, so don't be afraid to talk to that guy/girl sitting down at the Espresso Royale, ok?

Lily

Hmmm...No comment!

Well, I am single so I am not the best to answer this question, but one of my roommates has been dating her boyfriend since sophomore year of college. And there are thousands of students on campus with many social opportunities every night of the week so you can meet people everywhere and maybe you will connect with someone.

If you want to date someone I'm sure you can find them. About half of my friends are dating someone and the other half aren't. It's very easy to meet people, so finding someone you would like to date is almost inevitable. There's a lot of great places to go on a date like one of the classier restaurants in champaign, curtis orchard, or a movie theatre. I don't feel pressured to date anyone or pressured not to date anyone, so it's a pretty relaxed dating scene.

If you want to date someone I'm sure you can find them. About half of my friends are dating someone and the other half aren't. It's very easy to meet people so finding someone you would like to date is almost inevitable. There's a lot of great places to go on a date like one of the classier restaurants in champaign, curtis orchard, or a movie theatre. I don't feel pressured to date anyone or pressured not to date anyone, so it's a pretty relaxed dating scene.

Betsy

The dating scene, like anywhere, has a huge range of possibilities. In my group of friends about half of us have boyfriends/girlfriends and half are single. Because we live with our friends on campus it is typical for a boyfriend or girlfriend to become friends with your roommates. Everyone with a boyfriend or girlfriend has a different story about how they met. Some know each other from home, some met in class, some met in the dorms, some are set up by their friends, and some have long distance relationships. If you are single on campus, you will have a great time and meet tons of people. If you are in a relationship you will probably become friends with all of your boyfriend or girlfriend's friends and also have a great social life. It is easy to make dating in college what you want it to be. The University of Illinois has so many students that it's easy to find people with similar interests as yours.

Betsy

The dating scene, like anywhere, has a huge range of possibilities. In my group of friends about half of us have boyfriends/girlfriends and half are single. Because we live with our friends on campus it is typical for a boyfriend or girlfriend to become friends with your roommates. Everyone with a boyfriend or girlfriend has a different story about how they met. Some know each other from home, some met in class, some met in the dorms, some are set up by their friends, and some have long distance relationships. If you are single on campus, you will have a great time and meet tons of people. If you are in a relationship you will probably become friends with all of your boyfriend or girlfriend's friends and also have a great social life.

I think the dating scene at Illinois isn't that different from what you would find at any other university. The only difference here might be that Illinois is a much bigger place and you'll be meeting new people all the time. There are plenty of ways to meet all kinds of people through the myriad of social opportunities at Illinois. And there are definitely places to go on campus for dinner or dessert if you're looking for something cute to do!

A few friends try to describe the dating scene.

A few students comment on their beliefs on how the dating scene works at U of I.