University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign Top Questions

Where is the best place to get work done on campus?

Carmen

The best place to get work done on campus is the computer lab in my dorm.

Depending on your personality, there are a few places that are great to get work done. The UGL, or Undergraduate Library, is where most people I know go to study. It's quiet and has a very serious atmosphere that luckily is contagious. If the dorms are quiet, your desk is also a great place to get work done. When the weather's nice, you can find a nice picnic bench or sit by a tree in the quad and get work done. There are also many smaller libraries scattered throughout campus that are kept quiet and reserved for people who want to work.

Betsy

Every major has its popular classes, and some of the classes that are popular throughout the University are really fun! Some of them don't even seem like they would be classes, like flower arranging. Below is a list of some of the fun classes I have taken: -Ice skating: learned basic skills -Aqua aerobics: got a daily workout -Tap dance: relearned my favorite kind of dance -Band: performed in the center for performing arts -Creative writing: explored my imagination and developed writing skills -Contemporary TV: watched and analyzed Mad Men, The Daily Show, Glee and Modern Family

Martin

Not the libraries. They tend to be noisy and anti-productive. The best place are classrooms after hours. They tend to be quiet, deserted, and with reliable fast wi-fi.

It really depends on how you work best. I never went to the libraries a lot. First, all libraries can be used by any students. Just because you are a grad. student doesn't mean you can't go to the undergrad library. The undergrad library (UGL) is underground and is one of the most used libraries on campus. The first floor down is where talking is acceptable so more group work gets done here. Also, there are plenty of research materials and books here as well as the third floor. The third floor there is absolutely no talking, so this is where you would want to go if you need to get a lot of work done. I always found going to libraries with friends that aren't in my classes results in facebooking and talking more than working. Freshman year I did go more because sometimes the dorms are pretty social, too and it can be hard to focus. However, with the new cafeteria, the building is equipped with more study rooms and conference rooms so it is easier for freshman to leave their rooms, but not venture too far outside to go find a study place. Once I got an apartment, it was much easier to study at night, though the weekends could be quite noisy depending on who was having a party. Usually you could just talk to your neighbors or people in the complex though about noise.

Tori

The most popular place to get work done is the Undergraduate Library. When I say popular, I mean it. Usually, this place is the most packed during Finals Week. Because of this, I suggest that most students use the ACES Library. It is available to everyone, but it is, by far, the most comfy and least visited by students, making it perfect for studying or finishing homework.

In all honesty, people who study in their rooms doomed to naps that last hours. How much work actually got done remains to be seen on that upcoming exam. If you want to seriously buckle down in college, specifically U of I, you have to venture out into our little orange and blue world and surround yourself with other hard workers. It's motivation to see others in academia flipping through pages and taking notes feverishly. I notice that I work better when the atmosphere is just right. I need books around me, a laptop and coffee. If I'm at home, my couch is an added factor, and that usually doesn't bode well for me. The libraries are normally a good spot; it depends on what you're doing. For group projects, the Undergrad Library (UGL) is best because it has a floor dedicated to silent study and another for those needing to converse for a team assignment. It's useful because you won't have to worry about disturbing others. If you want a purely quiet experience, I'd prefer Grainger Library on the north of campus. It's the engineering library, which means that students there are locked in; there is no messing around in this place. People who come to Grainger have one goal: success. I like it because there is plenty of space, the wifi works well, it stays open 24 hours and there are resting spots for you just take a break and put your feet up.

Lily

We have the largest public library system in the country here on campus, and there's basically a library for every college and department, ranging in size from one room in a class building, to whole massive buildings on their own. My favorite place to study is the ACES library (College of Agricultural, Consumer, and Environmental Sciences). It's one of the newer libraries on campus, and it's shaped like a five-story hexagon. There are tons of comfy chairs and lots of sunlight from the huge windows all around. It's very quiet and never as crowded as the Main or Undergrad libraries. Grainger, the engineering library is another huge and popular place to study, but it's on the far northern side of campus (opposite of where I live), so I only go there once and a while with friends. There are also libraries and study lounges in all the residence halls, so that's often the most convenient and easiest option. Great for lazy days when you don't want to leave the comfort of your res hall and sweatpants.

I spend most of my study time at the Undergrad Library, which I lovingly call Club UGL. The library is underground and it offers both a noisy and quiet level. Typically, I'm on the upper level for group projects or just if I feel like being social and productive. The lower level is where I go to get serious work done. If I have a long paper due, or if I have a really serious test or final, I'm probably in a cubicle on the lower level.

Studying here all depends on the type of environment you like. If you like studying with friends and don't mind lots of noise, the top floor of the Undergrad is perfect. Personally, I find it too noisy - it literally becomes a place for people to hang out most nights. I've never tried to study there, but I've heard the bottom floor (the quiet floor) is great, but if you so much as sneeze people will glare at you. If you want to be with friends but still want it to be a relatively calm environment, Grainger library is the way to go. The group floor isn't so wild you can't get work done, but it's not so quiet you feel like your breathing is disturbing other students. One happy medium is empty classrooms. Pick any building where the doors aren't lock, find an empty classroom and have at it. No one will kick you out, and you can meet with friends and cause as much (or as little) commotion as you'd like.

CAFE KOPI!! there are a ton of good coffee shops and libraries (I don't work well in them though, too quiet) but I LOVE Cafe Kopi downtown, it's got good food, good service, good music and most importantly good coffee. I have made some lasting friendships from meeting the other regulars there, we are kind of like a studying Kopi family.

Basically the title answers the question. We have the 3rd largest library system in the nation (behind Harvard and Yale) so there is always a different library you can explore and study in. I personally love going to the ACES library because it is large, well lit and quiet. However, I have a cubicle for my honor society inside of the Union and that is also a place where I get a lot of work done. Don't work on your homework in your apartment or residence hall room because there are distractions everywhere that will impede your studying. Take the nice 10 min walk tops to the nearest library and park it for a couple of hours and get everything that you need to get done, well, done.

The undergraduate library is too loud and your bound to get distracted by seeing someone you know. If you study in your room or apartment you'll probably get distracted even easier. A lot of dorms have study rooms but being too close to your room can be tempting. Grainger is on the North quad, which can be a bit of a hike for some, but completely worth it. Grainger has quiet sections, talking sections, and private study rooms (if you can find an open one). There are also a couple computer labs and if you're an engineering student (or have an engineering student for a friend) you can use the EWS computer labs, which have two widescreen monitors hooked up to each computer.

The undergraduate library is too loud and your bound to get distracted by seeing someone you know. If you study in your room or apartment you'll probably get distracted even easier. A lot of dorms have study rooms but being too close to your room can be tempting. Grainger is on the North quad, which can be a bit of a hike for some, but completely worth it. Grainger has quite and talking sections, and private study rooms (if you can find an open one). There are also a couple computer labs and if you're an engineering student (or have an engineering student for a friend) you can use the EWS computer labs, which have two widescreen monitors hooked up to each computer.

Hands down, Grainger Engineering library. The undergraduate library is too loud and your bound to get distracted by seeing someone you know. If you study in your room or apartment you'll probably get distracted even easier. A lot of dorms have study rooms but being too close to your room can be tempting. Grainger is on the North quad, which can be a bit of a hike for some, but completely worth it. Grainger has quite and talking sections, and private study rooms (if you can find an open one). There are also a couple computer labs and if you're an engineering student (or have an engineering student for a friend) you can use the EWS computer labs, which have two widescreen monitors hooked up to each computer.

Betsy

Every college at the University of Illinois has a place for students in that major to study. In my major, journalism, one of the buildings here, Gregory Hall, has a library and computer lab. The computer lab is one of my favorite places to get work done because it is always warm (which is nice in the winter) and if the work you are doing is for a journalism class it is free to print!

Betsy

Every college has a place for students in those majors to study. In my major, journalism, one of the buildings here, Gregory Hall, has a library and computer lab. The computer lab is one of my favorite places to get work done because it is always warm (which is nice in the winter) and if the work you are doing is for a journalism class it is free to print!

Every student has his or her own favorite study spot. But if you're really looking to be productive, I would say that a library is the best place to go. Lucky for Illinois students, Illinois has libraries for almost every area of study equipped with knowledgable librarians who can answer questions and guide you in the right direction for an assignment. Libraries are quiet, conducive to working with wireless laptops, and have long hours so as to be available to many different students. Other great spots include the Illini Union, cafes, or empty classrooms in campus buildings (especially if you're working on group projects).