University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

Jaymie

I really like most of my professors and get along well with my peers. There is partying, but it is easy to avoid if you do not want to be involved. The only negative thing I can think of is that I personally find the administration's higher-ups to be corrupt. Unfortunately, I would not be surprised if this is a common theme. Again though, I am grateful to get to attend this school. I have a lot of fantastic opportunities that I hope to take advantage of, and I have made some incredible friends.

Lan

ok good fine i love this school. I want to learn more about the social science is this school. ok good fine i love this school. I want to learn more about the social science is this school.ok good fine i love this school. I want to learn more about the social science is this school.ok good fine i love this school. I want to learn more about the social science is this school.

pra

it is big

Nathan

I just graduated in May 2021. While academics are great overall, specifics are major-dependent so do your own research! Otherwise... Pros: • Campus is beautiful (bike-friendly too) and new buildings are always being built. • Grades can be curved up but never down (which fosters a collaborative atmosphere). • Champaign-Urbana has a lot to do (restaurants/bars right off campus, pumpkin patches, concerts, museums, etc). • Bus system is reliable so no need to bring a car (although having one would make running errands easier). • Tons of study abroad options. Although my major (civil engineering) was known to have strict requirements, I was still able to participate for two semesters. • UIUC may have a "party school" reputation, but this is only true if you choose to partake. Plenty of people don't drink and it's no issue. • Opportunities to watch Big 10 sports games on campus. We're already great at basketball, and are improving at football every year. • Student body is liberal and open-minded but not overwhelmingly so like Berkeley might be. • Dining hall food is actually really good imo, especially PAR. Cons: • Winters are cold and long, which can be tough for non-Midwesterners. • Topography is flat so weekend getaway options are limited for outdoorsy people (I'm an avid skier so this was my biggest con tbh). • Counseling center has long waiting times (I had to call 10 minutes BEFORE opening hours to get an appointment). • We don't have a mascot and this leads to low school spirit (unlike UMich or UW-Madison). • The student health insurance plan (by United Healthcare) sucks and many students rely on their parents' instead. Neutral: • Classes are big especially during freshman year. Some people thrive on the anonymity this provides, but some get left behind if they don't actively utilize office hours.

Justice

The University of Illinois at Urbana champaign is not that bad it is pretty ok. There are friendly people there and most people are willing to make friends and there is a lot of restaurants/ places to shop on campus if you need to. I would definitely recommend.

Savannah

UIUC is honestly a really good school. The class work is difficult, but you can tell your professors know what they are talking about and if I work hard in a class I generally succeed. UIUC has allowed us to have a social life even through COVID by developing a saliva based test that allows for quick results. I love that they have come up with safe ways to socialize with other students and try to make this semester the best it can be despite the circumstances. I am very glad I chose this school. I was very worried about the classes, but they have been manageable and I feel confident that by going here I can accomplish any goal I want to achieve.

Jamie

N/A

Jessie

It's a fantastic academic institution, but there are a ton of extracurricular activities as well.

DAVID

I personally love my college, I've met so many new people and love how nice people can be there. There's always stuff going on at the quads and it's honestly non-stop action. On top of that, the academics are good and the people who go there know how to have a good time.

Christopher

Guaranteed job Guaranteed job Guaranteed job Guaranteed job Guaranteed job Guaranteed job Guaranteed job Guaranteed job Guaranteed job Guaranteed job Guaranteed job Guaranteed job Guaranteed job Guaranteed job Guaranteed job Guaranteed job Guaranteed job Guaranteed job

Moriya

It is great! I love the school so much! I can't wait to go back next semester.

Thomas

I am very impressed after my first year at the university of Illinois. It is a very fun and interactive university that has a little something for everyone. I myself am an engineering student, but I like to do other things than just the nerdy things in life and here that is okay. I can go the gym, be politically active, go to parties, hang out at the coffee shop, and overall feel very included in college life. I really feel like I belong here and would recommend utilizing all parts of campus life from dining halls to student organizations, it is very important to be involved to feel the most at home.

Sloane

When I visited, I loved the campus life. A lot of people were walking around the campus, sitting in the quad or playing games outside. It seemed like a very friendly place and I saw several buildings that looked nice enough. A few of my friends go here and they love it!

Neha

I think the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign is a great college, especially for engineering. The facilities are great and students are offered several opportunities inside and outside of class. Teachers and professors are always available, while advisers are always there to help new and incoming students. Housing at UIUC is great as well. It is safe and the rooms are quite big and clean. Most residence halls have A/C too. The food at UIUC is amazing. You get the best food in the Ikenberry Dining Hall. They have all types of cuisines and a different menu for each day.

Uthman

Perfect

I came to UIUC as a tranfer student in 2006. I completed my Junior and Senior year at the school, earning my BS in Integrative Biology. Overall, UIUC was a great school - I was there for the academics, but if you're into the Greek or Sports scene you will really appreciate the Big 10 feel. It was easy to feel "lost" there sometimes - not surprising at a school with over 30,000 students. UIUC is renowned for having one of the largest communities of international students in the world, which I think really improved the learning environment. Having one of the largest library systems didn't hurt either! If I could go back, I would try to get more involved on campus. There are clubs and opportunities for everything you could imagine, and I would highly recommend partaking in them in order to help you find your place amongst the masses.

Elma Jessa

I want to go here

Natalie

The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign is well known for their academics and party life. However, there is so much more to the school than what is usually discussed. There is a club for everyone, and I mean EVERYONE. From Volunteer Illini Projects to the squirrel-feeding club, everyone can find a club where they feel like they belong. At such a large university, this is an outstanding characteristic that makes the University of Illinois a home to anyone and everyone.

Justin

The tuition may be high, but it's well worth it for engineering and other STEM majors. The programs are catered to help students succeed, and there is help available all the time. The dorms are adequate and the food is the same. Overall, I think the University is amazing and great. I love it here!

Selena

When I was applying for colleges, my first choice was obviously Urbana-Champaign. The school was known for its engineering program but also for the business as well. Business is my set major and when I applied for schools, I chose schools with good business programs. In my case, UIUC was the choice. And so, when I got into the school, I was very excited that I got what I wanted. However, there are many things I wished I had considered before choosing UIUC. UIUC is well-known and is considered a top-school. But I failed to realize that because of this, the classes were going to be harder than I imagined. I found myself struggling to keep up in my workload and UIUC basically taught me that I had to put in more effort. I think compared to the other colleges, UIUC definitely has an intense workload. Moreover, at UIUC, there are times where you do feel lonely. Freshmen year is difficult at first because you have to settle yourself in a new environment. In a new environment, you have to find new resources and support that you may not have needed back home. You have to find your place on campus and it may be hard trying to make new friends. On a campus, away from home, there were a lot of moments where I personally felt homesick. I found myself missing the life I had back home. However, the good thing about UIUC is that because it was in another city, I was able to move away from my family. Although this may be a bad thing, it also allowed me to learn and grow in the long run. I became more independent on myself to find apartments and pay for rent. I learned to deal with my own issues rather than have my parents tell me what to do. This is the college experience that I believe most college students should experience. Finally, the greatest thing about UIUC is that because the campus is in the middle of nowhere, it is easy to make new friends there. There are many students who have the same interest as you and you would be surprised at the massive amount of extracurricular clubs there are on campus.

Gertrude

UIUC is like the uncle who gave you your first beer, told you the 'R' rated version of 'the birds and the bees,' and taught you how to drive a car. Uncle gave you the gift of experience, of spontaneity, and in short, of how to truly live. Much like how your parents served as the rules of grammar; how to construct a life, in this way, Uncle served as a fountain of creativity, a type of freedom from grammar; Uncle showed you poetry; how to live. This appreciation and respect for poetry, however, only exists because of the framework built by parents and community. At its essence, UIUC is a place where you can finally learn to connect what your parents built in structure, through the poetry and freedom of self-efficacy. For a student, UIUC is where foundation will meet ingenuity.

Stanely

Due to the size of the school (over 45000 students) there is no personal experience or attention with the faculty or administration. The university should attempt to adopt tutorials (small groups) to enhance participation and contributions to supplement the big classes Overall rating : V.Good

Angela

I believe this University provides a classic college experience. What makes UIUC unique, however, is that is is truly a great academic institution with fantastic value and opportunity for all its students. I do not regret my choice of Engineering at Illinois.

Jane

When I am on campus, I feel like I am somewhere where I truly belong! The academics are great and I love the College of Engineering and ACES. ACES finds a way to personalize the college experience for all the students in the department even though the UIUC campus is so big. I am so excited to study at UIUC for the next four years!

Elise

The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign is a diverse and inclusive school that embraces the differences in every student here on campus. U of I is a place where not only the academics are important, but also the sense of being in a community is important as well.

Jenna

The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign is a great school with many utilities set up to help students succeed. Coursework is difficult but is evidently used to push students to become better and more intelligent in their studied fields. There is also a very large social scene with a place for all types of people to meet friends and have a positive experience on campus. I was first worried that the school would be too big for me to enjoy, but there are so many organizations available to help make smaller communities among students.

David

This is a great school and there's always something happening. It reminds me of the City that never sleeps; however, this is the campus that never sleeps. This is a wonderful school that truly cares about education and a great place that offers its students many great opportunities.

This school is amazing. I honestly applied, having no idea what to expect from it, and after my first few weeks I fell in love. The campus is very large, but still feels homey and welcoming. Everything is very accessible by bus or even by walking. The professors are there to help you, and are available to make sure you are getting the most out of your experience. There are also many recourse including the career center, multiple large libraries, and 24/7 support numbers. The extracurricular activities are also very appealing at this school. Home to the largest greek life system, many students join a sorority or a fraternity. There are also so many clubs and organizations you can join as well, ranging all the way from the October Lovers Club, to the Fashion Club, to the Rugby Club, theres a club for anyone and any interest! I believe that this school has something to offer anyone, and I highly recommend it!

Ifrah

Sure U of I is in the middle of corn fields, but it is a beautiful campus. There are so many friendly people all around. A day like today where the sun is shinning, there are so many people out on the quad playing football, Frisbee, just talking, or doing homework. Sure they call us a party school, but there are so many more events and places to go to. Whether it is bowling night with friends or you are going to watch a play, or maybe sitting at the Follinger Auditorium under the beautiful night sky. One year at U of I and I love it!

Jordan

It's a beautiful campus with plenty of diversity and people of all races/religious beliefs/cultures. The campus is top-notch as far as academics goes and the professors are some of the best in the world. There are plenty of opportunities to receive help no matter the time or day!

Mariah

The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign is a phenomenal college for students to attend because of its great atmosphere. I absolutely love how you can always just walk outside to the Quad or Illini Union and there will always be SOMETHING going on! If there's nothing going on indoors such as at the Union, the Undergraduate Library, or Krannert Center, then there are outdoor activities on the Quad for people to watch and do (such as kite flying, drum playing, watching squirrels, or juggling)! The security at this school is pretty strong; I usually feel safe when I go out, even at night. I have never seen more squirrels anywhere in my life than here at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign because I personally have encountered seeing a couple of squirrels just casually sitting on top of a garbage can pecking at some pizza or cookies. It was absolutely adorable. The other time I ran into a squirrel was when I was on my way to a meeting at the University YMCA building. I saw a group of people crowding around a tree and looking up at the sky. I stopped walking, took a quick peek at what they were looking at, and saw a fat squirrel sitting on a branch in the tree eating a whole slice of pizza! This made my day because it was cute to watch and I know I would never have been able to seen something this adorable in my hometown, Chicago. Overall, I love attending this university because it provides me with so much happiness where I am able to have a fun social life while getting a degree in Nursing simultaneously.

olu

I really enjoy the presence of the University of Illinois campus, although, it is a large school, there's never a dull moment here, for there's always something to do. While, U of I, may have been rated as one of the top party schools by the Princeton Review, it is also a school where I have observed some of the most intense, academically-focused, and bright minds who don't easily get distracted by the conundrums of what some groups of students may be participating in over the weekend. The University of Illinois isn't just a big party school in Illinois; it is also where the most innovative engineers, inspiring teachers, caring doctors, and gritty lawyers come from. It is where the next generation of bright minds come from.

The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign is a college that has a lot to provide for its students. There is a high standard here, considering this isn't the easiest school to get into, so you can tell a lot of people's top priority is education. Partying is a common thing at this university, but there are plenty of other activities that are run on weekend nights by the university so students have something else to do who choose not to partake in partying. Overall, this is an amazing school that will give you the education you're paying for in the pricey tuition.

Jahleel

The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign is a great university that has a lot to offers its students. Although this university has an extremely large student body, there are endless student organizations on campus for students to join that promote comradery.

Raeanne

The college and its classes are impressive and challenging. I constantly have to work to maintain my scholarships to continue going there. My professors are fun and engaging, and my classes are very interesting to me. I have had many more experiences going to school in Champaign than I ever would have gotten if I stayed and went to school in my hometown. My biggest issue is the cost versus what I receive for the money paid. I have a four year tuition waiver, and my family still had to take out loans to pay for my housing this past academic year. My dorm was run-down, dirty, and the food in the dining hall made my roommate sick on several occasions. A bright side is that our meal plans work in every dining hall, but I would have much preferred to be able to eat at my dorm instead of having to go out for decent food. I also feel as though there is a little disparity in what professors expect from academic papers. As I am a creative writing major, I do a lot of writing, and most of the academic papers I write are written in MLA format. However, many professors have guidelines to add on to the MLA format, which makes keeping what specific professors want for their papers hard to remember and keep straight. It would be immensely helpful if all the professors in, say, the English department, got together and layed down universal guidelines for the papers they want written for their courses. Finally, I must complain about the party culture. As an introverted student, I never go out to parties. However, many of my schoolmates are either constantly drunk or hungover, which I believe is not conducive to a proper learning environment. If the university could implement rules about regulating student behavior during class times, I believe it would be much easier to focus on what really matters at college: learning.

Daniela

UIUC is a great school with an amazing atmosphere. The campus is very chill and laid back. Everyone is on the grind and just as we study hard we party hard...because we earn it! Classes are very hard, you do teach yourself, and thank goodness for TA office hours! the physics department is not good but every other department and college is! Love my school!

Kayley

I love it! It has absolutely everything. No matter what kind of person you are everyone can find a place at the University of Illinois. From Greek life to political and academic clubs there is so much to get involved in. I have yet to find anything not to like about this University. The people are amazing, the professors helpful, and the education is great.

The University of Illinois in Champaign is a very competitive school so don't expect to be able to slack off, but it is not impossible to get good grades. The professors and teaching assistants that I have had do their best to make themselves available to students. There are clubs and groups for almost every interest someone could have, from political groups to equestrian clubs. Campus is relatively safe and there is almost always someone on the quad. Buses go almost everywhere, from on campus to into Champaign town. Overall, this school provides an exciting and fulfilling learning environment. There are a great deal of opportunities in this college.

Devin

University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign is a wonderful school with a very diverse student population and world class professors. UIUC also hosts many extra-cirrucular, athletic, and artistic events across campus so theres something for EVERYONE no matter what your hobbies and interest are. UIUC is also perfectly located between Chicago and St. Louis so one can always get away for the weekend with some friends.

Olga

I had a fantastic experience in my years at UIUC. The school is very respected and a great place to a get a top notch education. There were plenty of opportunities to get involved in whatever one might be interested in - whether it be clubs, volunteering, internships, jobs, or just something fun. These helped me to be more than prepared to move on to graduate studies after completing my Bachelor's degree. It doesn't hurt that the campus is also an enjoyable place to be. The old "work hard, play hard" adage seems to hold true for many students at UIUC. You don't have to be a partier to love your time at the school, though. I think there is a place for anyone in Champaign-Urbana. I highly recommend!

Sam

U of I was a great school to make lifelong friends and get a great education

Katie

There were so many things going on all the time that there was never a dull moment. Everyone was dedicated to learning but still knew how to have fun. There were some inspirational and motivational professors that taught more then the curriculum. It was a great four years and would recommend it to anyone.

UIUC has a driven and compelling atmosphere. Its students are motivated, and faculty and professors are more than willing be a helping hand to struggling students. As a business student, I can attest to the fact that much of the course load can be difficult, but manageable. UIUC's countless RSOs, extracurriculars, and facilities allows for an abundance of resources for students to destress and express themselves. I didn't personally expect to be at U of I, but now I wouldn't want to be anywhere else, I'm a proud Fighting Illini!

Abigail

I'm a second semester freshman at UIUC and so far I love it. I've had the opportunity to be a part of Marching Illini which has been a great platform to make a lot of friends and have a place of belonging in my first year of college. I love the campus and the feel of a big school. There's always something going on and I love that. UIUC is a great place to get a good education while still having a full, worthwhile college experience.

Jzaphri

U of I is a great school to go to. There is definitely a strong push for academics as the University of Illinois is in the top 10 public universities in America. Even with that stat students can still have fun on campus by joining sports, participating in Greek life, or any other extracurricular activities.

Christine

It's got everything you could want, sports, partying, clubs, academics. If you want to be a part of something it's here. We might not have the best teams but we're still big 10. As far as academics, we aren't Illinois flagship school for nothing. Research, volunteering, clubs, there's nothing that isn't here.

Kyler

At first glance, the University of Illinois is an intimidating breeding ground of excellence. The expectations are high, the opportunities are plentiful, and the possibilities are endless for anyone who is willing and ready to leave their comfort zone. From the high quality of staff, to rigorous coursework, to the vast array of cultures represented here, I have grown more in my first year at this university than ever in my life. You will be required to push your limits, to dive first into a new realm of experiences. But if you take the chance, you will discover the best friends you have ever made, a newfound pride in your abilities, and a rejuvenated outlook on life as you go forth in confidence. Whether you've had your career path hammered down since birth, or you have no idea where your life is going to lead you, this university will provide you with the tools to become excellent in all your endeavors, if you let it.

Theresa

The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign's mission states that it is: "charged by our state to enhance the lives of citizens in Illinois, across the nation, and around the world through our leadership in learning, discovery, engagement, and economic development" ("about," 2017). As a current sophomore attending, Urbana-Champaign as truly been a leader in all aspects. To say that this is the best school is biased on my part. but it is the truth. U of I has taken the time to mold me, and push me to excel. The opportunities they offer are mountainous, from having numerous majors to select from, different classes to enrich oneself, and establishments you can call your home. All persons on that campus want you to succeed. The advisors, professors, tutors, student aid, those who work in the office that may never see, board members, and the peers, students. The environment the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign provides is that of a campus that wants you to be the best you can.

Anastasiya

If you want the best, most memorable college experience and also be academically successful then the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign is the university for you. There are more than enough libraries for anyone to study for, plenty of fraternities and sororities for anyone to join and find the right fit for them, many restaurants that will always fill anyone's sweet tooth, and everyone on campus is very welcoming and always willing to help. I live about 3 hours from home and the bus company is very inexpensive and I can always travel home whenever I feel homesick or need some of my mother's delicious foods. It's easy and fast and everyone who attends this schooI still talks about it for the rest of their lives. I highly recommend this university to anyone looking for a school that will give them the best academic and social experience!

Erynn

I am so happy I came here. At first, I was very apprehensive about attennding the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, but I came to realize it is a community that is centered in personal growth, education and social exploration. Not only are the teachers and instructors dedicated to providing quality teaching, but the students are also a close knit community that values what it means to be a true Illini!