University of Iowa Top Questions

jamie

Very good. It is a big school so you wont bump into the same people every day. Most of the students here are good with studying and keeping up with their grades.

Hanna

Some of my classmates, especially those in upper-level courses, are very engaged; others sit in lecture halls on Facebook (which drives me CRAZY because I et distracted from the lectures!)

Taryen

My classmates are determinted to excel thorough life, happily.

Maci

My classmates are outgoing and welcoming. Everyone is incredibly open-minded to meeting new people and having discussions with people from all different backgrounds. We all feel united around our school, and that means we invite anyone in who wishes to join the campus community. All in all, my classmates have exceeded my expectations with their friendliness.

Savannah

Durning my first semester at the University of Iowa I have met so many new people I'm not calling them classmates because they are family, and what makes them family is how kind, concerned, and willing to take the time to get to know you and help eachother out especially in times of need it doesn't matter that not everyone is not the same because the campus is very diverse and everyone's different, but Hawks Help Hawks.

Gustavo

A diverse ocean filled with many kinds of fish from across the state, nation, and the world.

Tresa

Not sure what they are like. I will be taking online classes.

Clairissa

Average students, motivated to do well and happy to be in college.

Naomi

Some of them are bros but there are a lot of kind and thoughtful people on campus.

Rebecca

I have not had any classes yet, but i was part of a group during orientation; and they are all very nice and helpful.

Iowa is definitely a very diverse campus. The majority of the student population either comes from Iowa or the suburbs of Chicago. There is a solid political presence on campus and students come from a variety of different financial backgrounds. It is also very laid back. I honestly don't think there is a type of student that would feel out of place here. There are so many different groups on campus, I feel as if pretty much everyone would be able to find a niche somewhere.

Madeleine

Most students here have something that they're passionate about. Lots of them get really into sports--especially football--and it's common to see black and gold all over campus during a home game. Some students get politically active; the sidewalks were covered in chalk messages at the height of the Occupy Iowa City movement. Still others participate in Dance Marathon, a 24-hour fundraiser for kids with cancer. Part of what's great about going to a large school is that there's always something to get involved with, and you can always find people with similar interests. Hipsters, athletes, nerds, socialites, they all have a place here. And if you ever feel like branching out, many of the student groups will be happy to have you.

Ariel

The Iowa City community is a very liberal and welcoming community. Although a greater portion of the student population is from the Chicagoland area, there are students from all over the world here and I'm sure they all feel very comfortable and safe here. There are also many different cultural resource center around campus where people anyone is welcome to come in and learn about different cultures and interact with students who represent those cultures.

Theron

The student body of the University of Iowa is extremely diverse. Many of the students are not from Illinois and other countries. The biggest pastime for most of the undergraduate class is going to the bars on weekends. If you are not someone that enjoys this kind of entertainment, a smaller school may be better suited for you. Our student organizations help each group of people express their ideas. This is great when it comes to expanding the diversity of the student body. There are clubs that are interested in politics, religions, LGBT, and ethnicities. On top of the diversity of interests and backgrounds, there are also student organizations specifically interested in academics and future goals.

Anthony

The students at U of I are very devoted to their school. This comes through more in how they dress and how much noise they make at sporting events than in their participation in classes, but as a conglomeration of social beings, this college has few peers. Students who are more focused on academics should have no trouble finding others of their ilk to spend time with, but might feel out of place during Monday-morning discussions of the weekend's blackouts. Many of our students are from the Chicago area, in particular suburbs such as Naperville.

Tes

My classmates are unique; they come in variety and no two people are alike but we all share the common goal of graduating and becoming the people that we want to be in the world.

Jon

Iowa has students from all kinds of backgrounds. People don't tend to expect that here at Iowa, but there are students from all over the country and world and with wide ranging beliefs. Everyone can find several ways that they fit in here. Most people are very laid back and easy to get along with. Friends are easy to make and study groups are easy to put together in classes. Most students keep their doors open in the residence halls so it is easy to get to know the people around you. Students are very politically active on campus. Most active students are liberal, but more conservative students are becoming active.

Brett

Most of them are really nice. Almost all of them seem to take everything their doing here seriously. Some of them can be rude though, and some of them just don't care.

I think most people that attend this university are AT LEAST middle class, if not, upper-middle class. The buildings are not very old- some are actually relatively new. The campus is pretty and even prettier in the fall with all of the orange and red colors from the leaves on the trees. This is a very LIBERAL town. You can see protests going on AT LEAST a few times during the year. Students do not talk very much about how much money they will get....

Jon

Jon

Iowa has students from all kinds of backgrounds. People don't tend to expect that here at Iowa, but there are students from all over the country and world and with wide ranging beliefs. Everyone can find several ways that they fit in here. Most people are very laid back and easy to get along with. Friends are easy to make and study groups are easy to put together in classes. Students are very politically active on campus. Most active students are liberal, but more conservative students are becoming active.

Brandon

UofI is pretty diverse. We have a lot of emigrant students from China, but you see pretty much every nationality represented. The LGBT community is also really strong on campus, which is cool. Many students are from the Chicago area (and the surrounding burbs). Pretty much everyone that goes to college is middle to upper class. Many students are politically active, we have strong college republicans and college democrats student bodies. There is also a student government, but I've never known anyone to pay much attention to that. Oh, and this University is pretty liberal.

Juan

They are hard-working students who want to pursue their dreams.

Andrew

Everyone that attends the University of Iowa is a unique and hard working person. I have met wonderful students in my time at Iowa. Of course, there will aways be the slackers and people who would rather party at Iowa, but they are easily avoided.

Jordan

Iowas student body is very supportive of their teams. there are a lot of annoying bros though. there are also quite a few annoying girls. it seems everyone is very into going to the gym to work out. I mean its not a bad thing but it gets annoying sometimes. The girls are good looking too.

Stewart

My classmates are extremely diverse and range from the acedemically oriented international students to the local hipsters.

Gabriella

My classmates are very smart, competitive, and driven, but are always willing to help.

My classmates here at the University of Iowa are unique and very diverse, coming from all types of backgrounds and places,making every encounter very enjoyable and a true learning experience.

John

Diverse, I have classmates that come from many different places in the US as well as different parts of the world, like Japan, China, Middle East, France. It creates a fun atmosphere hearing about different cultural perspectives from around the world

Claire

At the University of Iowa my classmates are persistent.

Stefanie

My classmates are an intelligent group of individuals who know how to balance hard work and fun.

My Classmates seem very eager to learn and excell in life, however some of them get distracted by activities such as drinking.

Kali

My classmates seem to be relatively nice and helpful in and out of classes.

Lindsey

My classmates are a melting pot of diversity, representing all types of students ranging from continuing education mothers to transfer students to international exchange.

Saralyn

Now that I am into my major work the students I have classes with are mostly fun and engaging, many willing to help or discuss things when I need extra help.

Diana

My classmates love to have fun , but whenever someone's feeling down, they know how to help and give the best advice.

Emma

My classmates are diverse, intelligent, and motivated.

Whitney

My classmates are well-rounded, diverse students; everyone is very motivated to do well in college and therefore are very focused.

Lena

I would describe my classmates as a whole to be responsible and dedicated.

Melanie

My classmates are very smart, passionate, and carrer driven.

Marissa

Everyone is usually pretty friendly for the most part. Most of my classmates are focused on their school work, although most people here love to have a good time as well.

Heather

Most of my classmates are not very out-going or talkative in small classroom settings.

Quiet

Katie

Quiet at first, but generally come out of their shells.

Usually interested in class discussion, not always as interested in socializing with fellow students outside of class.

James

My classmates are diverse in gender and race, they are from all countries, most are from the United States, and most of them are intelligent. They had to be a little above average to get into Uof I. I enjoy my classes very much.

Victoria

Friendly and eager to be halpful and to succeed.