University of Iowa Top Questions

Tell us about the food and dining options.

We have Chipotle, Pancheros (one of my favorite taco and burrito Mexican places where you can get a meal for around $5-$8), Brown Bottle (VERY EXPENSIVE, but my FAVORITE RESTAURANT DOWNTOWN), and Which Which, a sandwich place. Formosa is an expensive Sushi place that is delicious and has very fancy decor

Jon

Students living in the residence halls are required to purchase a meal plan (even if it's as little as 5 meals-a-week), any other student is also able to purchase a meal plan, and anyone can buy a single meal at the door. The Burge and Hillcrest Marketplaces are actually some of the best dining facilities you can expect at a university. Most students complain about the food (and I do too because this is now my third year eating at Burge every meal) but there is actually a good selection for most meals and you can look up the menu online to see which dining hall you want to go to. This year, University Housing & Dining also took over the IMU River Room, Pat's Diner (in the Pappajohn Business Building) and the cafe in the library so students can use their meal swipes there as well. The River Room offers 2 hot meal options every day as well as a personal pizza or sandwich with sides and a drink. Pat's Diner and the library cafe offer sandwiches with sides and a drink every day. University dining has improved each year that I have been here, adding healthier options in the dining halls and more to go options across campus.