University of Iowa Top Questions

When you step off campus what do you see?

Pretty nice neighborhoods, actually. I really enjoy the residential parts of the city. They're great for walking dogs in.

Jon

You don't really "step off campus" at Iowa. The University was founded in Iowa City well after the city was founded so there aren't truly distinct boundaries. The Pentacrest (home of the original University buildings) is directly across the street from the downtown area while the east side residence halls are across the street from blocks and blocks of rental properties where students live once they leave the residence halls. The west side of campus is mostly medical schools, research buildings and the arts campus, along with the west side residence halls, the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics (one of the best and largest teaching hospitals), the athletics campus, Finkbine Golf Course, and 2 university apartment complexes. This area of the campus is mostly surrounded by residential neighborhoods. Many of these houses are also rentals, but a majority are family homes. There are other areas of the campus that are not directly connected with the main campus like the temporary Studio Arts building (moved since the flood of 2008) and the Oakdale Research Campus out on the northwest part of Coralville.