University of Iowa Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for University of Iowa

Jackson

The University of Iowa is great for students coming from Iowa who have yet to be exposed to anything outside of their small town. The lack of resources or maturity throughout the school is astounding. Drinking happens Tuesday-Saturday (thanks summit), and academics are not seen as a priority. There is nothing to do off-campus, just drink or eat. Really would recommend not looking at this school. I'm a freshman and am unhappy.

sumeet

One of the worst universities you will come across. Highly recommend you to stay away. Its in the middle of nowhere, there is nothing to do around it, most professors don't know what they are doing and how to mentor a student as they are only interested in using them to further their own research interest and get tenure, professors doesn't seem to be very helpful, PhD programs take 7-8 years to graduate, college of pharmacy is even worst: lot of nepotism, politics to the points that student gets affected, professors keep throwing out students out of their labs after a student has spent 2 years in their lab in the middle of the PhD program and management is not doing anything. Pretty sure someone is going to take out their own life one day in that depressing place.

The University of Iowa is a highly credited school in the state. It's affordable and has plenty of opportunities for majors, as well as career options. The University is close to the downtown area and there are plenty of places to go when not studying. It's a very nice university.

The University of Iowa will be my forever home. The campus is very welcoming and there's always something to do. My coursework has really prepared me for things I will encounter in my future career endeavors. The surrounding community is a huge part of our campus and this relationship between the University and city makes Iowa unique.

Kate

I had an incredible three years as a transfer student at Iowa. The community was welcoming, there was always something to do, and the education I received has served me incredibly well in the first 7 years of my professional career.

Charlotte

I love the university of Iowa! It is definitely a place to consider if you are looking for a larger school or if you are interested in the sports scene. There are over 500 clubs and orgs to consider joining which leaves your options very open: I don't know anyone who hasn't found a club they love.

When I first thought about attending the University of Iowa, I was very intimidated by the size. I come from a smaller town, and I was worried about class sizes and the size of the campus. But after coming here, it's really not as bad as it appears. Once you've got your bearings and a schedule for yourself, you can get along just fine! Everyone in town is super nice, and I love the classes! There's such a variety of subjects to take and they're very educational. You can easily find classes you want to take , whether it be gen eds, core classes, or electives. Besides the party scene, there isn't a whole lot to do in Iowa City (that's relatively close to campus). Besides the occasional boring weekend, Iowa City is a gorgeous city to live in. You'll consider yourself a Hawkeye the second you step onto campus!

Meghan

So I've always planned to go to the University of Iowa and when I finally got here, it was unbelievable. This is honestly the best school I could've ever planned on going to. The academics are difficult, but interesting and fun. There is always something going on, whether planned by the school or by friends. There's never anywhere that feels unsafe and the off-campus housing is always available.

Jacqueline

It's a great school academic wise. Plenty of opportunities for research, internships, jobs, and growing experiences. But it's also expensive and they don't seem to value the students they have. I'm 6 credits from graduation but since most scholarships end at 4 years and my major generally makes people graduate in the Fall, I had to go an extra year, and the university basically told me to deal with it. I had to take out a private loan and they made me out to be the bad guy, like I don't work 2 jobs just trying to make ends meet, and most scholarships aren't really for 5th years. Basically, if you can afford it, it's a great school. If you're poor, go to Kirkwood for 2 years.

Shelby

The university of Iowa is an amazing place to get an education, most teachers or TA's are willing to work with your schedule so you can meet them outside of class. The school spirt on game days also make it a fun place to meet new people and also getting involved in the student life. I also love how downtown Iowa city is in the center of campus so you can find a new place to eat or a new place to hang out.

Madison

When I had started applying to colleges two years ago, the University of Iowa was not the first choice of my favorite universities. However, as the year progressed, and I learned more about the university, especially how it’s the number one writing school in the nation, the institution quickly surpassed other universities. I’m very grateful to have chosen to attend the University of Iowa because it has proven over the past year to be an exceptional institution. Firstly, the sheer number of courses offered to students is extraordinary. There are so many classes available to fulfill GE credits as well as count towards majors. The teachers are accommodating and always willing to help struggling students during their office hours or scheduled appointments. Secondly, the student life is alive. There are currently over five hundred clubs on campus, and the number of organizations grows every year. There is a club for everyone to find people with similar interests; it’s relatively easy to find a group of friends early on in the year. When football season begins, every student is rooting for the games. The university has an active fanbase not only for football but for every sports team. The University of Iowa is a fantastic university, and I would highly recommend anyone applying to college to submit an application to the college.

Paige

There are plenty of activities to participate in, there are tutoring centers all over campus, plenty of school pride to go around.

Maria

It's a great school with lots of opportunities! There's always activities going on and tons of things to get involved with! On campus housing is nice, only if you live on the East Side by Burge. Everywhere else is a hike to get to, especially since buses on weekends don't run until like noon.

I feel like this school has some really great opportunities for all majors, especially med students as the University Hospital well known to being one of the best around. It's a nice looking campus and the facilities are great, especially the fitness complex.

Gabriela

I visited the university over the weekend and I absolutely fell in love with it. It's an amazing university. It offers everything I need from walks on the river to receiving a doctoral degree. It is very beautiful and not hectic at all for a university that big. I love how it's not in the city and it is more suburban. It felt like home while being there and most of all my parents loved it too! I hope to attend the university next year.

Shannon

It's one of my favorite places in the world.

The school has a huge amount of resources to offer students. These resources are easy to find and use. Professors are always willing to help and listen. There are also a variety of on campus jobs and an abundant amount of them. The facilities are always growing and improving. Parking is driving is a hassle but their are great bus systems, biking pathways and walking play ways in place. Most faculty and students, bike, walk, bus to campus and work.

Chase

University of Iowa was not my first choice, but after coming to the school for a visit I really fell in love with the campus and people. It is big enough to call a city and small enough to feel like you can get around without a car. Also the people are always so kind! Its one of the best college towns! Always something to do in Iowa City/on campus.

Tori

The University of Iowa is a great place to go to school. It's big, but not intimidatingly so. There are large lecture classes, but the rest of the classes are small enough to form good working relationships in. The professors and TAs are also nice and very accommodating with their time and knowledge.

Tartil

I love Iowa, the community makes me feel welcome and I know I made the right decision on attending here. The teachers are very nice and always want to help. Try to get into office hours and get to know them more, it will help you in the long run. Have fun and take in all the memories.

The University of Iowa quickly became my home away from home the minute I stepped on campus. Walking from class to class you are exposed to a variety of people and activities. People will sit under the trees on the PentaCrest and do homework, read a book, or even take a quick nap before their next class. I always feel safe while I am on campus, other students are pretty nice and the locals are not shy to strike up a conversation. Sports are a big part of student life especially in the Fall, football rules campus during the fall. Their are many great organizations to join that range from Biomedical Stats club to Working at the campus newspaper to joining a sorority or fraternity. There are so many opportunities that the University offers their students. Academics are taken seriously with academic resources around every corner. Professors are available to help and offer guidance as long as you put forth the effort. I do not regret leaving Texas and moving to Iowa for college, it was the best thing for me and the University has given me many opportunities that I hope other future students will take advantage of.

Angeline

The university is nothing like others that I have visited before. The culture and the community that the school has is welcoming and lively. I understand why the people loved the school. Not only is the community is wonderful the academics is also exceptional. The professors are available and willing to help if needed. If the professors aren't available they are many resources available to the students for extra help. This university is not like other campuses that I have seen. I am in love with the school and don't regret being a student here.

The University of Iowa is a really big school, with big classes. However, that only makes it more special. They create events and opportunities for you to connect with anyone you want, and they also have big group photos for each graduating class (which makes the "big school part" great). Lastly, the classes are hard enough that they will prepare you for anything the future throws at you.

Jackie

It wasn't my first choice but now it's the only choice I've never looked back on. Sure, it's not perfect. Affordability is an issue for a lot of students, we get alerts of a crime in our campus bi-weekly, and we have a huge drinking scene. There's a lot of stuff that isn't great but when you look at it, Iowa is one of the best public universities for its community, standard for classes, and it's beauty. I wouldn't want to be anywhere else.

Saracely

Going to the University of Iowa was by far one of my best decisions! The atmosphere, students, faculty, and the facilities are great and you never feel out of place. The day after move-in my entire floor had become great friends and we still go out together when we can. Not only that but there is always something to do on campus: from going out with friends on the weekend to even relaxing on your own and getting some homework done. The professors are also great here, they always make themselves accessible to students and if by any chance they cannot, the Teacher Assistance is always available as well. Safety on campus is something that should always be noted and at the University of Iowa high measures are taken to make sure students are safe. The only time I have ever felt unsafe or scared is when I walking from the Greyhound Bus Station to my dorm at night, but you could always call a university bus and they will pick you up. Overall, the University of Iowa is an amazing, large university. I even tell high school family members to check it out when looking for a college.

Sheyna

Attending the University of Iowa has been an incredible experience. I was weary of attending a college near to my current residence, but the campus environment, friendly professors, and variety of opportunities has provided me with the full "college experience" despite my proximity to home. I am grateful for all of the possibilities provided by the school, and cannot wait to spend the next 3 and a half years here!

James

Love it!! It's a great environment, everything is in walking distance. Classes are fun and interesting. The people are really really nice and fun. The party scene (it's there, obviously so) isn't forced down one's throat, neither is anything else. The only real annoyance is the propensity for street hockers, but they're easily avoided. It's just a really great school and I'm a proud Hawkeye.

Delaney

The University has a few issues, such as its response to sexual assault and related issues, but overall it is a nice, decently safe campus with a very accessible academic scene, strong involvement in sports, and accessibility to more party life if that's what you're into.

Bridgeen

The University of Iowa, overall, is a pretty good school. Personally, I believe it is too liberally based, in the sense that any opinion other than the one of the student body president is shunned and not recognized as an opinion. None of the teachers in the math department speak English, making it difficult for those who only know English to learn and understand math.

Annie

Personally, I love the University of Iowa and I am very satisfied with my decision to attend school there. I feel as if my peers and I are all receiving a great education, while being able to balance that with a social life. So far my teachers and advisors have been realistic with me with my goals and very helpful in assisting me to find the correct path. I feel at home at the University of Iowa. My only critique to the school would be that I felt as if it took some time for me to feel at home at the school, and I know of other students who have felt the same way. It seems to me that the school has a family-feel to it, and it just takes some time to actually feel like a part of the family. I do think the education is exceptional, however. I have always found it to be easy to get the help that I need on campus, and all of my advisors and professors have been extremely helpful and understanding. Overall, I believe the University of Iowa is a top-notch school, for any person.

University of Iowa is a great home for all types of people. It is chalk full of things to do and people to meet. Classes are challenging but enriching and exciting. I love the campus and I have already made great friends. I encourage enrollment to the U of I!

Aneta

The university is awesome. I have met long life friends and had such a great time here the last four years. There is so much that if offered that you will not be left out. The academics are awesome, helpful professors and best of all is seeing them play sports such as football. It is hard academically, but I am glad I came here.

Christina

Overall, I think that Iowa has good academic programs, most classes I have taken have been engaging and the professors are good. Campus is not too big and not too small, alot of things are within walking distance. Large sports spirit, especially during football season. Everyone is always raising money for a cause so it's nice to see a variety of causes students want to give back too. Endless opportunities in student organization and volunteering opportunities. Not too pleased with the lack of diversity and raising awareness for culture however. Off campus housing is usually poorly run and we have a large reputation of being just a party school.

Sarai

My overall opinion of University of Iowa is that there are opportunities everywhere and for anything. It is a very well diverse school with hundreds of groups and clubs you can partake in. I really enjoy all the options there are for academics, which is mostly the reason I chose to attend at this school. Great place to explore your interests and expose your brain to the many opportunities.

Jose

It is wonderful, everyone says they love their school, but I truly mean it. Iowa is the best place to be at all times. The people are so nice around here, and everyone looks out for each other. I have a blast on the weekends, and learn so much in the week days. If you don't know where you want to go to college, I strongly recommend taking a look at the University of Iowa first, because then you decision will have been made simple for you. Go Hawkeyes!

Alexis

Stepping onto the University of Iowa's campus I was put into joy. Everybody surrounding me seemed so friendly. Students around me were smiling and some even took the time to talk to me while we were walking around. I feel many campuses do not have that feel to them at all. Not only were the people on the campus welcoming and friendly, but so were the administration. All of the teachers seem very easy to talk to and discuss whatever one may need to discuss with them. One of my favorite parts about the University of Iowa is that when it comes to game time the campus is ready to support their classmates while they take on their opponents, but we don't let that take away from our learning and studying. Both are major aspects about being a Hawkeye, but the University of Iowa does an amazing job of making both of those happen. Supporting fellow classmates and having time for studying and school work.

Johnny

Overall, I thoroughly enjoy attended the University of Iowa. Although it was not my first choice for a post-secondary education, I would not envision myself anywhere else. The overall atmosphere encompassing the campus is unbelievable and it feels as though all the students are a giant family. The academics are definitely rather hard, but professors and teaching assistants are always available to help students with any difficulties that they have.

Fatima

The University of Iowa is a great place to further my education in creative writing, proving me with amazing professors and resources to become a better writer. However, it is difficult to find people of color represented in these programs and it gets frustrating as a black student trying to navigate through a campus that often experiences anti - Black hate crimes.

Marie

I enjoy the campus and the culture. The dorms and food courts are updated and modern. I was incredibly impressed with the attainability and opportunity of the honors program. I am especially investing in the engineering community which has a close knit relationship that feels like a small college within a big college.

Zahra

I believe my decision to attend the University of Iowa is one of the best decisions I could've made for my career. I truly feel the university staff are doing everything they can for the students. Additionally, as a business student, I feel extremely confident that my school offers me the opportunities and connections necessary to succeed post-college. I'm very excited for my upcoming years at the university and to see where they take me.

Courtney

home, has the big 10 school feel as well as having small classes for discussion, tons of free tutoring available, more clubs than you could imagine, amazing rec facility with free zumba, and a variety of classes you can take, the campus isn't very big and all the undergrad classes are typically within 10 min walking distance of each other

Mariam

It's a great school for academics and social life. During the weekdays, the libraries are packed. Students also have tutors in residence hall and classes that serve as study groups. On weekends, student are at house parties or exploring downtown. Its a perfect balance. The only thing that the university lacks is diversity.

I believe that the University of Iowa has a great learning environment with good students and professors to match. The sports are a major draw to the campus as well as their many opportunities for students such as myself who wish to pursue health science majors because of the hospitals on campus. I love my university and everything about it!

University of Iowa was one of my last choices but when I visited the campus. My whole perspective of the school changed. There was so many ways for a student to get help in any of there classes. They have office hours, ta sessions and so much more. It is very easy for a student to get academically. There is also such a good support system. The advisors are very helpful with emotional issues as well as academic issues. There is so much diversity if in the campus I can always can meet someone new.

Shaunna

Enrolling to be a student at the University of Iowa has brought many opportunities to me. Whenever I have a specific question on any material the professors are always so helpful and available to help you whenever. The faculty and upperclassmen are so nice and helpful with any questions or concerns you may have. Not to mention all of the helpful resources the University of Iowa provides for anyone!

Joshua

I love the school! It's a very welcoming environment and the school is committed to making diversity a priority on campus. Everyone loves the team and we get excited for big games, and there's always people around campus and downtown studying, having fun, and stimulating intelligent conversations. The art community is amazing, as is the LGBT community on campus. The only thing that could change is that some of the buildings could use a little bit of a face lift.

Ella

I love the University of Iowa. I love my classes, I love the teachers, I love the culture and diversity of the school, I love my friends, I love the campus, I love the city, I love the social scene. I actively care about what I'm learning in my classes and discuss my class material with my friends and family, and genuinely want other students to do the same with me. I wouldn't think about transferring for even a second; I know I made the right choice and I know that this college experience will be one of the best of my life.

Paige

I love the University of Iowa but mostly the business school, Tippie. It is a great school if you live on campus because you get more out of it. Huge party school though, used to be first in the country! The school work can be difficult but there are many resources to help you succeed.

Shamus

In a land of cornfields and hogs, there exists a university campus that appears to have intricately interwoven into an otherwise pedestrian town as though stealth was the main goal of its establishment. Simply walking around, you would not realize that you were on a college campus until you've been trampled beneath a horde of freshmen sprinting toward their next class. The University of Iowa exists in a perfect symbiotic relationship with Iowa City, which serves to create a unique environment for students to grow and flourish in. If a parent hopes for their child to be sheltered to any degree, this is not the campus to send them to, as there is no border between the university and the "real world". Students are inextricably involved with everything from politics to sports both on and off campus with a school culture that strongly encourages interdisciplinary focuses. Just recently, there was a strong push in the College of Engineering to require all engineering students to take additional coursework in the arts, as to better inform their designs within their respective disciplines. But what really makes the University of Iowa one of the best universities in the midwest is the faculty. Because of the University's strong focus on research, it has attracted the best and brightest of each field from the arts to the sciences, greatly enriching the experience of all students lucky enough to attend. For any students hoping to study abroad, there is a plethora of study abroad opportunities available with ample financial assistance and scholarships.

LinsiAn

It's a good school. You will find your group of friends and get the hang of campus pretty easily.