University of Kansas Top Questions

Jackson

General education classes are large in nature, and there is not much you can do to get around that. However, in my personal experiences I have found that professors really enjoy getting to know their students. They hold office hours and for large classes there are also TA's that hold hours if students are struggling. I think the quality of teachers and the vibe from the students varies from department to department. I am just starting to get into my major classes, and the few teachers I have had in my major seem to really engage the class. I've heard it said that once you get in your major, your classes get small and you have a lot of classes the same with other students so you get to know them well. I am a sports management major and it is evident in this program that they are focused on your career after school. In fact to graduate, your last semester is a 40 HR/week internship. I believe KU is concerned with your life after college, and through career fairs and such, they provide opportunities to prepare yourself for the "real world."

ALYSSA

I am a Finance and Accounting student and also a member of the University Honors Program. In the Honors Program, students are very competitive and the classes are small. The professors take the effort to get to know us and are willing to meet with us outside of class to help us if there is any part of the material that we do not understand. Class participation plays a big role and it is what makes the class interesting. My favorite class was ENGL105, Freshman Honors English. In that class, we learnt through classics, movies and discussions among peers. It was fun and enlightening at the same time. I looked forward to class every everyday and the intellectual conversations we have outside of class was equally interesting. In my opinion, the education at KU gears me towards getting a job. We learn about current business issues and interact with employees from big companies. In addition, the Career Services office organizes many events to help us with our resume preparation, mock interview sessions and other events that promote interaction and network with the people from those companies.

Since KU is a big school, many of the general education classes and freshmen/sophomore level classes that are taught in large lecture halls. The large lectures are supplemented with smaller discussion periods that are taught by teaching assistants (the TA's can be hit or miss). Not all classes are large though. I have had many small classes of 25 or less students since I have been here. There are a lot of wonderful professors that have dynamic teaching styles, and a substantial amount of knowledge in their field. I have learned so much here. Some of the best lessons have been outside the classroom. Classes range from being challenging to fairly basic. Students here have to study hard, and understand that to do well it takes a lot of effort. Many classes have weekly or bi-weekly papers, and some have only exams and finals as the only grades. Classes for some majors are geared towards getting a job, but the majority are about learning for the sake of learning. Be prepared to read a lot for your courses. There are a vast amount of intelligent and hard working students at KU. Many students have intellectual conversations outside of class. There are also some who seem apathetic about school though.

Since KU is a big school, many of the general education classes and freshmen/sophomore level classes that are taught in large lecture halls. The large lectures are supplemented with smaller discussion periods that are taught by teaching assistants (the TA's can be hit or miss). Not all classes are large though. Ive had many small classes of 25 or less students since I've been here. There are a lot of wonderful professors that have dynamic teaching styles, and a substantial amount of knowledge in their field. I've learned so much since I've been here. Classes range from being challenging to fairly basic. Students here have to study hard, and understand that to do well it takes a lot of effort. Many classes have weekly or bi-weekly papers, and some have only exams and finals as the only grades. Classes for some majors are geared towards getting a job, but the majority are about learning for the sake of learning. Be prepared to read a lot for your courses. There are a vast amount of intelligents and hard working students at KU. But there are some who seem apathetic about school.

Alaina

For the most part no, professors do not know my name, the classes are so large that it's hard to stand out without feeling like you're bugging the professor with meaningless questions all the time. I feel like students study a lot, depending on their classes that is. But between all the reading that we have to do for classes and online quizzes it all adds up quickly. I think students are competitive or else they wouldn't be in college, however there are those students that act out in smaller classes and appear that they don't care about what's going on but ultimately we are all paying to be here and for me it just comes natural to be competitive I suppose.

Xavier

I feel that KU offers one of the best college educations you can get at one of the most reasonable prices. I know that our Journalism and Nursing programs are some of the top ranked programs in the nation. The university has some of the brightest and most intellectual professors and faculty, in my opinion, in the entire mid-west. As far as professors go they are still human so they definitely can be sticklers and pains in the ass but eventually you will meet some who truly make a class feel like less of a requirement and more of a course that is truly helping you to develop and grow as a person. I have noticed that once i entered my upper level classes that classroom discussions and participation gets a lot more interesting because after four years in school students get more opinionated and are more willing to talk about how they feel in class. From my experience most freshman classrooms tend to be more quiet but I think its just because being at college is still such a new experience kids are just trying to get comfortable. Personally I have always been a loud and outspoken person so talking in class usually came pretty easy for me. Some of the most unique courses I have taken have been my Journalism courses but outside of my degree I enjoyed my "community" class. This was a sociology course where we discussed social issues within communities. I grew up in Mexican gang neighborhood in Kansas City where crime was always present and this has given me a much different background than most of the people I'm in class with. It also has allowed me to be more involved in my sociology courses where I can actually relate to and tells stories about the things we studied. The Journalism School at KU is very competitive and has a HUGE presence on campus. We are responsible for the school news paper that is produced fresh daily and is known as " The University Daily Kansan" or " The UDK." We also have tech labs with crazy amounts of technology and gadgets that do everything from designing prints ads to editing movies and commercials. The faculty is comprised with some of the nation's brightest minds in all forms of Journalism. I take a lot of pride being a student of this program because our school has a lot of weight in the professional world.

KU has a variety of interesting professors and classes available, overall very positive atmosphere.

I know all of my professors' names but a lot of them do not know me because I am in very general classes right now that are held in big lecture halls. My favorite class is Chemistry because I love the things that we cover and the labs that we do. It depends how often students study; if they are committed and want to do well in college students will spend a good amount of time studying. KU students need to be intellectual in order to keep up with the rigorous curricululm that we have to go through. Some students are very competitive about the work and their classes, especially those who want to enter graduate schools such as nursing and pharmacy. I really dont' see my professors outside of class because right now my classes do not pose many problems; next year my courses are going to be very challenging and I plan on spending more time with my professors, seeking help.

Professors at KU are awesome. For the most part, if you talk to them, make an effort outside of class to do well in their class, they'll love you. They make themselves available for help as often as they can. The best class at KU is probably Math 105 with Jeff Lang. He's a bamf. KU currently offers courses in Haitian language and culture, but, unfortunately for me, may not offer those anymore. This is the area that I'm planning on studying unless they decide to cut funding for the program, in which case, I'm screwed.

Amara

I would say that 5 out of my 6 professors know my name. The one that doesn't know my name has a class of 300 or 400. I could make it possible for him to know my name by standing out more, but I just go to class, get the job done and leave. Class participation is not always common, but that is something that won't change unless you have a special kind of professor. The most unique class I have taken is Acting 1. I have intellectual conversations outside of class, but it depends on who you talk to. I have invited a professor I really liked to a "invite a professor for dinner" at my scholarship hall. I feel like the requirements are challenging but definitely attainable.

Torry

Almost every professor I've had has made an attempt to know my name, and the further into my majors I get, the more I enjoy my professors. I feel they encourage class participation and are very approachable outside of the classroom.

KU has taught me a lot since I began as a freshman! My academic learning, however, has not been facts and terms (although I have learned quite a bit of this too), but my professors have taught me to expand my mind and look at things objectively. I feel like I am able to apply a lot of the theories and ideas discussed during classes to my everyday life and what I see around me! However, my only quall with KU is that as an undergraduate, you do not get to spend a lot of time with professors. Classes taught by professors usually have hundreds of people attending, so most of the classes where I've actually gotten to speak with the teacher has been taught by teaching assistants.

The design department is excellent and relatively small.

Some professors know my name. The smaller the classroom, the more likely they'll know my name. My favorite class would have to be my microbiology class. It was well organized, went along w/ lecture well, the TA's were extremely helpful and knowledgable, and I enjoyed the material. The amount that students study depends on their majors. The harder majors study more often. Class participation usually occurs more frequently w/ smaller classrooms. Sometimes students hold intellectual conversations, but I think a lot of students are afraid of controversy, so they are less likely to converse about topics that others are more likely to differ. Some students are competitive, others don't care, and others just only worry about how they are doing. I sometimes spend time w/ professors outside of class. There are some classes that it is easier to talk to the professors about certain things, like writing an essay or talking about an assignment. I think the requirements are good at KU, but I do think that as the years progress, it will be harder for students to graduate in 4 years b/c of the increase of requirements. The education is definitely leaned more for getting a job.

Emmerson

In Pharmacy school, it is hard not to have your teachers know you, but in lecture halls for other classes, especially 100 level classes, there is no way you will get participation or know peoples names unless they sit in the very front 5 rows. My major is Pharmacy Practice. We have 105 students in my class, and we take all of our classes at the same time. We have very intellectual conversations outside of class, and we always try to put things that we learn in the classroom into daily use or to connect our previous knowledge together. Pharmacy is a very competitive field, only 20{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} of students that apply are accepted here. We hang out with our Deans more than our professors because of all the activities I'm in, and they are usually the faculty sponsor. I feel like right now the professors are trying to teach us about how to be a researcher, but I feel that I will be prepared for my profession when I get out.

we're very strong academically. not all professors know your name, but they are all willing to help.

I take mostly small classes, honors sections or courses specific to my major. Professors in these classes are always well prepared, knowledgeable, and personable. A few of my gen ed classes were larger lectures, but those were the only instances where instructors didn't know me by name. My favorite class so far was probably my Freshman Honors English course; it was a small class, the professor was the best I have ever had, we read outstanding literature and covered what we read with engaging discussions and fun projects. That was definitely the most unique course I've taken. I don't have a specific "least favorite" class--I didn't really hate any of my classes, but I did find some of my big, required lectures kind of boring. How often a student studies or prepares depends on the student; some people come to class only on test days and never open their textbook, while others never miss a day and do additional outside reading. KU students frequently have intellectual discussions outside of class; in addition to participating in some of these conversations myself, I have often overheard others. I don't spend a lot of time with most of my professors outside of class, but I do visit my favorite professor in her office to chat and get advice. As someone who studies quite a lot, I don't usually need outside help, but I know all of my instructors have office hours and are willing to work with anyone who needs their assistance. I think the education at KU is balanced--if you're passionate about a subject, KU helps you learn, and KU also helps you figure out how to find a job doing what you love. As an education major, I can say that KU's education department is outstanding. Getting into the education program is competitive, the instructors and classes are top-notch, and everyone who works in JRP, the education building, is professional and helpful.

The University of Kansas does an excellent job getting the students all of the information they need at their lecture classes. Then most classes give you a chance to voice your own opinion and hear others which is a major value in helping you to better understand all of the different sides to what issues are presented.

At the beginning of my time here, I was in a lot of big classes and it was kind of impersonal. I also don't need a lot of personal attention from professors, so that was fine with me. Now that I am in the School of Business, however, I have closer relationships with my professors as well as with my fellow students. The School of Business is a challenging, but engaging school, and I feel like I am going to be ready to make an impact right away no matter where I go once I graduate. We learn not only the skills we need to get a great job, but how to always be learning in a continuously changing business environment.

Though you would assume that with a campus of 20,000 students there would be little or no personal relationship between professor and student, I have all of my professors' emails, and have emailed them (they always give speedy and helpful replies). I even have a couple cell phone numbers. I am not a number at KU, I am a student who is cared for by all of my professors.

Academically, KU is great, as well. Most of my professors know my name, or at least recognize my face and can guess my name. I take many large science classes in the large lecture halls with 400+ students. I make the classes feel smaller by sitting up front. (Plus the professors usually know who you are if you make the effort!) My favorite class by far has been organic chemistry. Dr. Hanson is one of the best professors for the job, does great, and keeps all of us motivated when we're having a hard time with the subject. My least favorite class would have to be any English class, but only because I don't like the topic. Most study times depend on the students' dedication and major. Most people that I am surrounded by in classes study a lot, but we are all pre-med and pre-pharm. Business students seem like their classes don't demand as much dedication and study, but that of course is from a science major's perspective. Class participation is quite common. The professors work hard to get even the quietest students to chime in in class, even in large ones. KU students across the campus do have intellectual topics within conversations. College isn't all fun and games, you have to put something into it in order to take something away. The most unique class I would have to say was microbiology (BIOL 400) with Dr. Buechner. He kept us entertained and hammered so much information into our brains at the same time. And he gave some really good comparisons and presentations to relate to topics. And his ties were entertaining too! I am pre-pharmacy...one of the most demanding because things that pre-med students can take their third and fourth years we take our sophomore year. I enjoy my classes very much, though. The only classes I complain about are those not required by my major! I have spent time out of class with professors - that's how you get them to recognize you, know your name, and to know that you are dedicated. Any little bit helps in college! KU's academic requirements are not too demanding, and we don't have to take a physical education class because of the hills, which give you enough of a workout, if you don't take the bus, of course. The classes I have taken are definitely geared toward a career, not just learning for learning's sake. Like I have said, you must make the effort to get something out of college. If you are going to college just to slide by, you won't learn much or be very prepared for the real world.

Kayleigh

I think most professors know my name, if they don't it's my fault for not making myself known. Right now my favorite class is Sociology of the Family, it is a very thought-provoking class.

KU is fairly well-known for its strong academic programs. The classes I have taken have been very good classes; I've really learned new and useful things in them, and I actually feel that that information will be useful after I graduate. The professors are usually very friendly and helpful, inside and out, and a close relationship with professors is made easier by the class sizes, which are not often large, especially in the honors program.

Same as above. KU provides great research opportunities, and within both the English Department and the Psychology Department, I have only had good experiences with teachers. They have been not only competent but inspiring. However, I have mostly taken small survey courses and honors classes, which tend to skew the level of academic interest. In the large classes, there is very little class participation and a lot of apathy.

I really like my psyc 104 class, with Dr. Vitevitch, he is a great professor and very animated.

Renee

Until you get farther into your major you can pretty much expect large classes. At first it was overwhelming to walk into a lecture hall with 900 other students but it isn't bad and the professors work with you outside of class if you need some one on one time. Almost all of my professors thus far have been exceptional. I definitly suggest taking advantage of office hours even if you dont think you need help in a course because sooner or later you might need a recommendation letter and any way you can get the professors to remember you will help. I honestly expected the classes to be much harder than they are. As long as you show up to class and do your work it is not very hard to pass your classes.

I am a civil engineering major. My classes are small no bigger than 50 students for most classes. Everyone gets very close in my major, you will probably take the same classes with the same people. All my professors know my name within the first 2 weeks of classes starting in my department. In other departments, if you are willing to go to office hours you will get to know your professor. I love my classes and the professors here are very willing to help you anytime. The number one thing to remember is if you need help ask for it. The engineering school is very geared towards getting a job after graduation. They want you to be the best engineers you can be. While theory is important, they encourage internships and coop's to get some real world experience.

Yes. International Ethics: Most challenging class I have ever taken, learned the most. Introduction to Fiction - no comment... it was just my least favorite. - Study enough. Participation is limited. Students are pretty competitive, especially when you begin taking higher level classes. International Ethics. Political Science Department is full of a lot of intellectuals who are very inspiring to me. In the office or occasionally at a coffee shop, or bars rarely. Some of the Departments require too much. Like the Fine Arts department requires a minimum 3.0 GPA to be accepted, which seems a little backwards to me. I never thought Grades meant that much to artists. KU gears for both learning for one's own sake, and gearing you for a job.

I can't speak for other students, but I have been very impressed with the School of Engineering. I have never taken an Engineering class that was not taught by a Professor, and they make a genuine effort to learn your name and where you want to go in life. They have a strong academic standard in that they don't mind challenging the class academically be also want to help students succeed. It is very geared to getting a job, which is great because that's why we are here. The school of Engineering does everything they can to help us prepare for the job market.

Brenna

half of mine know my name. Those are my small classes though. My favorite is english. Least econ. Around my building lots, but I live in the honors dorm. Class participation is common in smaller classes, but can be in large classes too. I do, and the people im with do. Oh yeah they are competative. My black history class. I am a journalism major with italian geog and psychology added to that. No I dont spend time with them out of class. I think the requirements are well thoguht out and are good. Both aspects usually.

Joanne

This is the area that I believe is lacking the MOST, and also the reason that I am probably transferring next year. I have only been at KU a year, and I have never had a class that I have liked. I don't enjoy my professors, and they have been incredibly hard to work with in and out of class. I have been to six advisers, trying to come up with a 4 year plan. NONE of the have helped me. I think that the general student body is not competitive and this creates an environment that is not conducive to learning or studying. Class participation is not common at all, but professors and GTA's don't try to involve students.

Dale

The main thing to remember is that there are a lot of choices at KU. If you decide to take large, 200-300 person classes, and you don't go to see your professor, most of them won't know your name. You have to make an effort. Honors classes are smaller, allowing the profs. to get to know you better. Just like any other place, you'll find a few profs who don't care, a few TAs who don't care, but a lot of people here will do whatever they need to to help you out, you just have to ask. Students can have intellectual discussions outside of class, definitely... it depends on who you hang out with though. Recently, my roommate and a few friends went on a Jane Austen movie binge. The same group of us were having discussions on evolution, religion, politics, things like that. It all depends on what you want out of your experience. Miscellaneous academia: some students, like my impromptu library club study a lot. Some students don't care at all and never study, but most are in between. Some participate in class, some don't... you can tell how interesting a class is by how much people talk in it and about it. There's a spectrum of competitive and non-competitive students. Chemical Engineering: I've made friends in my class, of course. After the first or second semester, you realize that you'll be spend A LOT of time with these folks, especially your senior year. You won't be able to get away from them, so learn to like them. Professional schools tend to push internships and career fairs, but a lot of classes are there for learning/interest. The work load is dependent on your decisions: as a pre-med chemical engineering major, it gets pretty hairy. Friends that are music majors are constantly in rehearsal, but other choose not to participate as much. A lot of this comes down to your own decision.

Professors will get to know you if you want them to. They're really good about meeting with the students if they schedule an appointment, and will discuss the class with them and any homework issues. However, if you make no attempt to keep in touch with your professor they usually won't try to get to know you on a personal level, ESPECIALLY in the bigger classrooms. But if you want to meet with your professor they're really nice about it. My personal favorite class has been philosophy, because of my teacher but also the subject matter is interesting. If you can get out of intro to chem though go ahead and do it, because it's a 900+ class first semester and 500+ class second semester and i'm not a big fan of the professor. I'd personally say that students are competitive, but that's because I'm in the honors program and tend to hang out with intelligent people that want to do big things in life. However, there's definitely a mix of competition. Some just want to get out of here with a degree, while others are in it for the long haul. KU's specialty is their journalism school, it's really popular. We also have a REALLY good special education department. I think it's the first in the nation, but don't have a reference for that.

Melody

Several of my professors do know my name. Its harder in larger classes, but if you talk to them enough and go to their office hours, they will eventually learn your name. An organic chemistry professor, Paul Hansen, knows a lot of students names and will always ask for yours, even though it might take him a while to remember it. A lot of times, professors will at least recognize you if you run into them outside of class, so that's a plus. Being involved certainly helps as well. I haven't really had a favorite class so far, although the most interesting I have taken is the History of World War 2 (which was perhaps so interesting because after 3 semesters of science/engineering, I finally got to take an elective). My least favorite class is physics. I don't believe the physics department here is very good. They seem to have trouble teaching down to students or aren't engaging at all. The amount of time students varies depends greatly on your major. I spend the majority of my time studying, when I'm not in class or meetings. I would say, on average, engineering students study about 4-5 hours a day, including weekends. It's often more. My professors in engineering are good though, they know my name, even though there are quite a few of us, and they are very, very helpful. I've gone to professors from past classes asking for recommendation letters are they are always very enthusiastic to help. I believe KU has appropriate academic rigor/requirements. Sometimes it seems like students can skate by in classes though, and I don't think thats fair. I feel the requirements to get into KU could be a little tougher, but not to Ivy League levels. It all depends on how much you are willing to put into it.

Most of the professors I've had still remember my name. They are great at getting to know you because they realize that there is a chance that you will be coming back to them for a letter of recommendation, and they need to know you well enough to write that. I have two favorite classes. One of them is Chemistry with Dr. Cindy Berrie. She just made it that much more exciting to be in her class. She knew the answer to 99.9{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} of the questions you could possibly ask her and she would start getting excited about the material she was teaching so she would make all of US that excited. It was a lot of fun being in her class; you never had a chance to fall asleep. The other one would have to be Materials and Energy Balances. As much as I hated the process of learning it, I knew that I came out of the class learning the most and that mattered more. Differential Equations with Dr. Oh was awesome too; we have great professors, but its up to you to look for them. My least favorite class would have to be physics of any kind because the physics department, here at KU, isn't that great on the teaching end of things. The students that I hang out with study practically 24/7, but that's what it takes to be an engineer. The other friends that I have study while its still light outside and have time to relax at night time. Class participation is BIG. There will always be the one or two shy people in class, but otherwise, they just jump right in. I've had intellectual conversations with people when a big group of us was out to dinner to celebrate the end of something or another, like EXPO. It's basically inevitable. Students are very competitive; it's hard not to be because that's the only way you will get anywhere. The most unique class I've taken is Chemistry with Dr. Cindy Berrie, as explained above. I'm a Chemical Engineer; in the school of engineering, it's like we build our own little community within KU. That makes it so much easier to get involved and be knowledgeable about what is going on around campus. There are so many resources to help us out; its up to you to take advantage of them. I do spend time with professors outside of class and it's great. This is where a lot of the intellectual conversations take place too and its fun. KU's academic requirements as a whole is not something I can talk about, but as far as the school of engineering is concerned, it's definitely something that is obtainable, but something that you will need to push yourself for. As for the classes I've taken, yes, the classes at KU are geared towards both. Learning all of this now will make getting a job that much easier. I mean, if I didn't enjoy chemistry that much, I wouldn't have gotten the CHEM TA job.

Liz

In the smaller classes. Editing is my favorite. It's really hands-on and I learn a lot. My least favorite is Western Civ. It's a lot of work and it seems pointless. Several hours a day. Yes. Yes. Not really. They're more cooperative. I'm taking one now about the American West. I'm a journalism major. The classes are really challenging because they're very hands-on. You get a good sense of what it's really like to be a journalist. Sometimes. The requirements are okay. The Western Civ. one should go. Both.

Alli

I feel that most of the students here at KU are intellectually aware. I can remember being at the dining hall of all places and starting a conversation with a couple of my friends about the morality of politics. We discussed the question of the morality of abortion, stem cell research, the death penalty, and how much control the government should have over these issues. We sat there talking for about two and a half hours and then continued our discussion once we got back to the dorm. I love the music department here at KU. The faculty are amazing and are willing to do as much as they can to make sure we have the skills we need to succeed. The level of competition here at KU keeps things interesting and really encourages us to pursue excellence. The best thing about the department, though, is that we all support each other. No one wants the person next to them to fail. It's a truly great, positive environment in which to learn and make music.

molly

My professors are amazing and so have all of my classes. I have a great mix of smaller classes and bigger lectures. I like the fact that I get to have one-on-one contact with my professors through discussion classes, recitation sessions, and office hours. I have found that classes are only taught by TAs when the professor wants to evaluate the TA's teaching ability. My favorite classes so far have been Journalism 101 with Barbara Barnett and Psychology 120 (Personality) with Dr. Stephen Ilardi. They are both interesting professors that understand that their students aren't too keen on just sitting and listening to a lecture for an hour. They engage in discussions, make a serious effort to learn the names of their students, and ask for input from the students.

Wendy

Most of professors in my classes know my name. My favorite classes are Applied Behavioral Science classes. My least favorite is Humanities. I spend time with one professors outside of class. It is difficult to have a study group with other classmate.

The most unique class I've taken was Prehistoric Life: DNA to Dinosaurs taught by Dr. Bruce Lieberman. It was the perfect class to satisfy my childhood dinosaur nerdiness. Each class period started out with a dinosaur of day short lecture where interesting facts and history of a certain dinosaur would be given. The semester lecture of evolution would then continue after that. One day after class, I approached my professor and began asking the questions I've always wondered about dinosaurs growing up. After that class peroid and for the rest of the semester, Prof. Lieberman, Curtis the TA, and I would walk up the hill to Geology building and I would bombard the both of them with my questions. I felt a bit like Timmy off of Jurassic Park. Professor Lieberman convinced me to check out the Geology Department and here I am, a geology student working in the soils lab! I highly recommend taking that class.

This semester, I don't have a single class with more than 20 people in it. And only one of them is taught by a TA--Spanish 111. But then, I was smart, and decided to take advantage of the honors program here at KU. Most favorite class is Econ 145, taught by a short Egyptian with a sense of humor like none other. He makes macro interesting and relevant--not the easiest thing to do in an entry-level class, where the only prerequisite is having passed an idiot's guide to calculus (Math 115). Least favorite would have been my Linguistics class last semester. I loved the topic, but it was a 8 a.m. class, so I only actually made it there a quarter of the time. Still got an A though--thank God for blackboard. OK, enough with the questions. I like the academics, otherwise I wouldn't have had KU as my first choice. I'm in the J department, got accepted as a freshman because of my wonderful ACT scores. I don't keep track of my professors outside of class, but that's mainly because I take full advantage of them in class, since most have an open discussion period. The requirements seem fair, although I don't see the point of letting freshman into the J school early and then not letting them take higher-up j classes right away. We were smart enough to get in, then we should be smart enough to take some of the classes a little early.

Doug

Most of my professors know my name. The best class taught here is Honors Western Civiliation (I and II). It is an amazing oportunity to understand our past, and why we are the way we are today. Some students never stop studying here. The school will keep you busy. In most classes you are graded on your participation. KU students continually have intellectual conversations outside of class. On my way back from class today I talked about Rousseou, Locke, and Marx with another KU student. Students are competitive in many regards, sports and positions, but academically each student does his or her best. The most unique class I have taken was a class on ACL injuries. We studied the leg, we disected a pigs leg, even helped with research on cadaviers. We also developed hypothesis on why ACL injuries are so much more common in women, and we developed possible experiments to run. I feel that KU does a good job of requiring a broad education, but I feel that engineers, architects, and fine arts majors should be less focused on their curriculum and also take more unrelated courses as well. (I was an engineering major last semester) I feel that engineering is all about getting a job, but I feel that in the School of liberal arts and sciences we are learning to discover more about ourselves and humanity.