University of Kansas Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for University of Kansas

Lawrence

I’ve been wanting to attend this school since I was a kid an I can’t wait to get on campus.

Monica

I very much enjoyed my four years at KU! I was enrolled in the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences (or the College for short). For my majors, my professors were very engaging and encouraging throughout my studies. I, personally, did not have any sort of experience that negatively impacted my view of the school. The public and campus transport was very convenient and would take you almost everywhere around town (even to Lawrence\'s unique downtown!). The food options on campus are okay though the prices do add up if you eat there every day. I would recommend researching the major(s) that you are interested in as each one offers a different university experience, as well as looking into what sort of activities happen in and around campus that you might be interested in.

Mama

I've studying at KU for 4 months now, and i'm so glad I chose to come to school here. With Covid-19 around, I was scared that I wouldn't be able to make friends, or partake in the college experience, but I must admit I was mistaken. There are so many opportunities at KU. We've got rec centers for fitness, and a pretty good food selection (there's even a Chick-Fil-A and many Starbucks locations on campus where you can use dining dollars). Bus transportation can help you get just about anywhere on and off campus (there are busses that have stops in front of Walmart and Target). If you live in Stouffer, the fire alarms are sensitive and go off a lot, but that's the only issue I've had. And teachers have been really reasonable with Covid-19 and are there to support you after class. All in all, I feel like I'm still getting good parts of the college experience learning here at KU.

Jacquelyn

KU is a great college in terms of academics and credibility. I feel like there are many hardworking teachers and mentors at KU. The college experience is certainly not missed here at the University of Kansas. There are so many different organizations you can join as well as job opportunities for students. We are very known for our wonderful basketball team and have good reputations with other sports activities. However, some challenges KU faces include administration making changes to their office of diversity and inclusion. There need to be more representation within the office. Along with that, better written informative letters about certain serious events like the storming of the capital.

Lindsey

Being a first time student at the University of Kansas, I would give my school a great review because I love it here. Although I am attending college through a pandemic things are different than they used to be. But right now things are good for me. I was able to keep my roommates and have them all attend during this time. I have made many friends, but not as many as I probably would. I am currently living in Ellsworth and I think it is a pretty nice building. I am situated in a four-person suite and it is a very nice room, a little bigger than I expected. The dining food is a solid 8.5/10. There are some really good options around here. Some food places aren't open right now due to COVID-19. All students and facility are required to wear face masks inside and outside on campus, and pretty much everyone follows this rule. The campus is very clear, some trash here and there. I feel very safe walking around campus, day and night. At night, the sidewalks are very lit up and not dark. It is a very good school, I am glad to be attending and call this my home.

Sierra

Giving my university (and my town) two stars is a sign of generosity in this case. First of all, I grew up in Lawrence. I am what people refer to as a "townie". Growing up in Lawrence almost automatically ties into coming to KU when people reach their college-ages. I am also in my early twenties, and I believe I grew up in (one of if not) THE last generation(s) where Lawrence was a super place to grow up. It is not a comparably bad place to raise a family, but it is intensely different than twenty-five or thirty years ago. I can honestly say school has never been my strongest suit. I consider it miraculous that I am graduating soon. I hate college, too. Really, I wish the belief "college being the best years of one's life" was not emphasized and/or normalized. I have done almost everything in my power to hopefully find friends/a friend group since my first year with little success. Most interactions I have on-campus with peers, coworkers, and professors reinforces my feeling of being unwanted. I feel unwanted here, so I feel I can’t follow up with the people I meet. Consequently, I look standoffish and act uninterested in developing friendships. The pressure to be content in all moments is a product of the lie that college is the “best years” of one’s life. It is appropriate to hate college, and it’s not a crime to admit it to oneself and others. Attending college is like driving a car: It is a privilege and not a right. People have even said to me because of my college outlook, I might as well should be going to Mizzou. Alright. But going to Mizzou would probably make me hate college/school ten times more than I do right now. There's a saying by David Ambler (KU Student Affairs and Vice Chancellor Emeritus): "Remember your nest; return to it often. And never forget this unique bird that has set you free." I agree with parts of that. I grew up in Lawrence. I went to KU, and I plan on moving out of Kansas which will set me free from people I want to get away from here. And I do not plan on returning to Lawrence/KU often unless I am visiting family members or friends.

Anne

The University of Kansas is a college campus that provides many opportunities for its students. The environment is extremely open and inclusive for the majority of the time. I can say with confidence that most students would attest that they feel safe and/or welcome.

Alex

The University of Kansas promotes a fun and engaging atmosphere the focuses on student education and proficiency. The professor here are spectacular and a joy to study under. They show compassion and care for their student's education and make sure their students thoroughly understand the material. KU promotes a wide variety of classes, clubs, organizations, and majors for students to partake in. It is an accepting university, promoting tolerance and peace on campus, though that does not mean the students do not partake in an occasional protest, for that happens from time to time. Students here are politically involved, creating one of very few Democratic counties in the state of Kansas. Beyond this, students display a passion for learning that boosts an atmosphere any could enjoy.

Nachelle

My overall opinion of the University of Kansas is that they offer many academic opportunities for the students and I enjoy the way we value our traditions!

Lexanna

I did not come to KU with a cute reason. I came to KU because I was already moving to Kansas from Illinois and felt KU was the most logical pick. When I got here, I was surprised how similar it was to my high school experience which was Clique-Galore. I did not feel like I fit in. Luckily, I made friends this time and I am slowly but surely getting the hang of how challenging academics can be. My overall opinion is though the University of Kansas is not perfect by any means, I am still glad I picked KU.

Paola

nm k,

The j-school is the best part of KU in my opinion. So many opportunities are available and the professors really care about you.

Ethan

The campus is gorgeous and huge. There is a lot to do and get involved with both on and off campus. Most of the professors are extremely qualified and have lots of life experience in the work force to apply to their lectures. At KU we also love our basketball it isn't just a game for us it's a lifestyle. Rock chalk Jayhawks!!!

Mia

So far this has been a positive experience. They have a beautiful campus. Variety of options for housing. Greek life and Greek housing for students. Many opportunities to volunteer and find employment. I am happy with my choice. I provides a numerous degrees

Toni

The University of Kansas has a beautiful campus; I love the old buildings. The students are also very active. There is a club or organization that will fit everyone's interest. All of the students I have gotten to know have been very amiable. Everyone is so accepting here, and there is a plethora of people and groups willing to help you achieve academically. It will be a sad day when I have to say goodbye to such a beautiful place.

Have ever been so opposed to something, but it turns out it is exactly what you'd been missing? If so, then you can relate to my feelings towards KU. The sense of community on campus is wonderful, and I have never felt more actively engaged in pursuing my education. All thanks to KU. Rock Chalk, Jayhawk.

Cierra

I've enjoyed KU because it is a diverse community. attending the University of Kansas, I have met people and learned about cultures that I otherwise may not know about. What I love the most about KU is the abundance of on campus activities. Every week there are activities hosted on campus by various organzations.

Pooja

I have had the most amazing time being the student here. I love the community and the opportunities they offer to students. The staff and faculty are very helpful to all the students and there is something for everyone to enjoy outside of classes. There are many opportunities to succeed within your major and plenty of resources to help pay for college and other activities.

Emma

The university is good overall. When there are incidents that threaten the students' safety then the administration is extremely quick to notify students of the occurrence and find a solution. The campus is amazing and I love that it is a very centrally located campus and not spread out across the city like some other state universities do.

Neil

I love it here. While I could go and nitpick the tiniest issues with campus. I don't see any real glaring flaws with KU and do nothing but talk it up to everybody I speak with back home. I caught on before I came to KU that everybody I knew who attended had nothing but positive words for it, and loved their time here. I am glad to have inserted myself into that group, and will continue to relish my remaining time as a student at this great university.

KU is a great school for any newcomer to consider. It would be best to take a tour before applying. The campus is fairly centralized with only a few outlying buildings. The bus service provided is great to get to campus from the dorms and multiple routes make stops at apartment complexes for off-campus students. The overall academics I feel are satisfactory for my degree. Specifically in the Design program, the faculty care about each student and their future. A lot of the class is not only learning the material, but also preparing the student for the future.

Shannie

I love the University of Kansas. I'm so happy to consider it my home and I appreciate how diverse it is. I've met so many great people and the classes are beneficial. The only thing is that it's really expensive and I always stress about how to pay for it and finding ways to get financial help. Also, there are not many opportunities for financial aid. They also do not give out many scholarships.

Nyah

I love it, it’s my dream school. I’ve wanted to go since I was just a little kid. I recently was at KU for the RYLA camp and we stayed on campus and ate at their kitchen and the food was good! I met students that went their and they were very welcoming and nice.

Sierra

I've been here 4 years now and it's decent

Nahathai

There is plenty of diversity, and the staff is very accommodating with students of all different backgrounds, giving everyone a chance for equal education.

Seth

I am only new to this school, and transferring in from a much, much smaller school was nerve wracking. What scared me most was knowing that there is going to be 10's of thousands of students around. Now that I am here, I wouldn't change it for the world. There are people of all different cultures and backgrounds gathering for one common goal, to further their knowledge, and to pursue a degree in a field they love. I am glad to be a little fish in a big pond, and am proud to be part of this school.

Lilly

I like it. Greek life is OK. Not my style though. The teachers are helpful while others are disorganized.

Conner

KU is very student-focused. They put an insane amount of effort into making their school appealing and welcoming to students who are having a hard time picking a college. Once you get accepted, their with you step by step to make sure you have everything done in time. The campus atmosphere is friendly despite it's overwhelming size. There's also buses for students to use to get around campus and even downtown where all the best shops and restaurants here. I HIGHLY recommend seeing past the price and at least visiting the campus once before making a decision.

Chloe

It is a beautiful campus in all four seasons. Student life flourishes. From on campus clubs to the weekend partying there is always something happening. And once you step into Allen Feildhouse you will feel the tingling excitement that runs through the veins of all Jayhawks.

Marshall

Beautiful

Skylar

I loved my time here! I would recommend it more for younger students, just because of the fast paced lifestyle that a lot of students want to lead. It is also a very liberal campus!

Samuel

I absolutely adore the University of Kansas. My attendance at the university would not be possible without their extremely generous scholarships and financial aid packages. I am a member of the University Honors Program and I feel surrounded by the absolute greatest staff and faculty I could have asked for. I have enjoyed every single one of my professors and look forward to every opportunity to come.

Cole

I think that it is a well balanced school that has several opportunities available to people from all walks of life. Our school is very accepting too and the students are very friendly. Sports especially Basketball are very important to college life and greek life is present but not overbearing.

Cheyenne

It’s a beautiful place, filled with caring people and traditions to live up to! I love the campus life and basketball games are a must have experience! The stores near by are great and you have tons of options to chose from. I love my college and look forward to many more memories.

Hengfu

Very nice college town and has a good vibe. Most people you see in town will be students, overall pricing in the town is understandable. The night life and sports experience might be the top ten in the States. The school encourages and provide many chances for students to study abroad.

Xavier

KU has a great atmosphere for learning, meeting people, and getting involved. They also have many jobs to choose from on campus while you're attending school that are extremely flexible with your school schedule. Lawrence is a fantastic town, lots to do, and anything you need is within walking/very short driving distance.

Christa

The University of Kansas has easily become my home in a short amount of time. There is plenty to get involved in over a wide variety of topics. With something for everyone, Lawrence is the perfect college town. I could not imagine myself at any other college or university. Also, if you like basketball there is no better place for you than the legendary Allen Field House. KU has many long held traditions that mean a lot to students and connect us with the many alumni worldwide.

ashtyn

it is an amazing school and a perfect fit for me i cannot wait to attending next year. They have an amazing sports management program, and with all the sport life on campus it will be a big hit. I cannot wait to possibly work for the Jayhawk's basketball team. I also cannot wait for rush week and to be apart of their amazing great Greek organizations. overall the campus is beautiful and i cannot wait for the amazing opportunities University of Kansas will have to offer me.

The University of Kansas is very diverse. There are many points of view expressed throughout campus. KU hosts many international students every semester and provides a generally friendly atmosphere for all students. Class sizes range from 5-1000, depending on the popularity and level of the class. There are many opportunities in nearly every area for students to explore their interests, be it through classes, clubs, or etc. The academics are average and there is a huge party scene. Overall, a very nice school. Go Jayhawks!

Olivia

My overall opinion about the University of Kansas is great. While visiting I felt a part of the life there, and I felt very safe and welcomed. The environment and the facilities were really nice. The students and staff there were very passionate about Kansas, extracurriculars, and academics.

Aiden

People are very professional with strangers. Students and staff are very friendly, and welcome a diverse group with open arms. So many clubs and extracurricular activities you can check out! The campus policies appear to really consider the safety and well being of the students.

Cecilia

It's a great place to be! I love the campus its beautiful! There are many things to do on mass street if you're looking for something to do during the weekend or at night. Bullwinkles is really fun to go to and so is The Hawk. There are many places on campus to get coffee or snacks too.

I love KU. Honestly, there is not a bad program here. Any company could look at your degree from here and take is seriously. The atmosphere is great and people are friendly, welcoming, and open. You can hear all various kinds of opinions and points of view anywhere from people who have lived in KS their entire life, or exchange students over 1,000 miles away. There is always some club to be involved in or some place to go relax and make new friends. There is never a dull day on the hill. If you want a fun, educational, and overall amazing college experience, the University of Kansas is the place for you.

Lane

The University of Kansas is a great public university. Obviously, in Lawrence, there is a huge basketball scene. However, while I don't believe there has been a class of mine where there wasn't a mention of the basketball team, it is not a dominating subject. Class size after the first year is pretty great and the education is top notch with many highly accredited programs.

Kyra

LOVE LOVE LOVE IT. I am proud to be a JAYHAWK. Walking the campus makes me feel like I am part of a community and not just within the campus itself but throughout the whole city of Lawrence. Also my best friend next to me says "its AMAZING" and also go Alpha Chi Omega.

Soyeon

University of Kansas offers their students many academic, social, major-relevant, and other opportunities to help propel them to a promising future. They have courses taught by competent professors who are passionate about the subject. The KU sport culture is very strong especially for their basketball, and Greek life and other sororities/fraternities help the students to be involved with the society. Overall, KU is a great college to learn and to excel.

Aubrey

University of Kansas is a place full of never ending possibilities where, as long as you apply yourself, you can accomplish anything. The students and professors around extremely encouraging and always around to lend a helping hand if needed. Overall, great atmosphere.

tobi

KU is a great univerisity , there are a variety of opportunities to get involved outside of class. professors are always willing to help. However, it doesnt have a lot of scholarship opportunities for international students which is a major concerning for students in thart population

Kourinza

The University of Kansas is one of more well rounded schools and I would even go as far as saying they are the most diverse college in Kansas. There are many opportunities not only on campus, but all over in Lawrence and Kansas City. It is easy to make friends even when you are living off campus.

Ashlee

I enjoy this university so much. Every day on campus I experience new things whether it be in the classroom or with my peers. Professors are constantly keeping the class interested with engaging lectures and discussions. Wescoe beach is always busy with students promoting organizations, free samples, and just peers hanging out. KU has so many good and reliable resources to access and help whenever it is needed. All of my teachers have made efforts to connect with their students via office hours or appointments, and they really try to make sure you understand the class and get the help you need. The professors here really care for their students and it shows. Other amazing resources on campus include writing and computer labs, group studies, TA study sessions, tutoring, and so much more. There are also many extracurricular activities that pertain to everyone whether it be greek life, recreational sports, or clubs that cover every interest. Also my campus experience has been great. Everyone I've met has been very nice and genuine and accepting. The students here stick together; we are a diverse crowd that can and will accomplish so many great things, individually and collaboratively. We really are a community here at the university of Kansas.