University of Kentucky Top Questions

joshua

I wish I would have known how to use my resources to find scholarships

I wish I had known how much it snows, I wasn't expecting that.

the campus is conservative in politcal nature

I wish I had known that the University of Kentucky sort of has a split campus (North Side and South Side) with all of the class buildings being on the South Side of campus and more of the dorms being on the North Side of campus. I also wish I knew that they had other sports besides their big D1 sports, such as club and intramural sports.

Kierra

Before I came to college I wish I would have known of more of the free opportunities that are availiable on campus and got a little more involved.

Sydney

I wish I would have known to spend a little less time studying and a little more time getting to know people and making connections. Studying is very very important, but without the social aspect college is not actually college. The grades and the interaction with other people from around the world is what makes college such an amazing experience.

Abby

I wish I would have known about all the opportunities that the University of Kentucky has. There are so many ways for you to get involved on campus and I felt like I didn't really know about them or take advantage of all the things that were offered to me or I had at my disposal.

The administrative offices aren't always thorough in their communication with the students.

DeMarkus

It would be great if I could visit myself from three years ago, because then I could tell myself to do more research and go into human nutrition as a major from the very beginning; this would have saved me alot of time from studying in a major that was leading me through a path I was not partial to.

I already knew everything I wanted to know.

Danyelle

I wish I had known completely about the student loan situation, because the finantial aid people are not very clear about what needs to be done and what has been done in order to pay for the college.

Jyrone

The extent of the engineering program

I was born and raised in Southern California, and coming to the University of Kentucky was one of the biggest obstacles I have had to overcome in my life so far. Moving to a completely different state and not knowing anyone, is by far the most uneasy feeling, but I got myself involved in many organizations around campus to start making new friends. The one thing I wish I would have known before coming was how hard it was going to be to leave my family and friends back home, but I would not trade this opportunity for anything.

How racist and segregated the school is. I come from a very diverse background and I was shocked when I came here and found out it was nothing like the picture they painted.

No because I have been very successful at this school, i am focused and on time to every class. And when i go out on the weekend i do not loose the real reason why i am at school. So i always make sure i dont do anything that can affect my studies.

I wish I had known that most of the city was closer to north campus than to south campus. Most of the restaurants and places not connected to the university to hang out are north of campus. If I had known that, and that the walk across campus was thirty minutes, I probably would've applied for north campus living. The long walk across campus also affected my travel to class. I love sleeping in so having to wake up early so I could leave for class at the latest thirty minutes before class cut back on that a bit.

I wish I had known more about all the programs offered to help freshmen transition into college life. I had a small idea of what K-Week, the first week on campus, had to offer, but I had no idea that I could join a group who would give a free meal each week and allow opportunities to meet other freshmen.

Angila

I wish I would have known how much more time consuming the studying is.

I wish I would have known how big sorority and fraternity life is here.

Keith

I wish I would of known about all of the clubs that surround the campus. I think that University Clubs are vital in a students enjoyment at their school. Once I arrived I was able to decide which clubs I wanted to join, but if I would have known before hand, my college choice may of been easier.

In high school, help finds you. In college, you need to ask for help.

I wish I had known that the campus social life was dominated by the greek system. If you're not in a fraternity or sorority most people don't give you the time of day.

Christa

The only thing I can think of is; I wish I knew how cold it gets. Being a southern state, I asumed Kentucky stayed a little warmer in the winter. Apparently, I was wrong. But despite the cold, wet winters, the school itself makes up for it.

Kiyoe

There isn't really anything I wished I had known before coming to Univeristy of Kentucky. This is probably because I went on a campus tour and attended information sessions that are provided during K Week. I highly recommend new students, as well as returning students, to attend K Week events which give academic advice and allows social interaction before and during the first few days of fall and spring semester.

That the classes were so large.

I wish I would have known more about professors-which ones are good to have and which ones aren't. I also wish I would have known how difficult it was going to be to pay for tuiton as an out-of-state student.

That much of the social life surrounded Greek life. If not involved in Greek life, get involved in other activities early on

Audra

I knew everything I needed to know, however I was not aware of the extent of the academic demands. Nor was I aware of the extent of how hard it would be to adjust from living at home to living on my own in a new environment. Basically, I just wish I knew how demanding the change would be and how I could've handled my first semester in college in a better, more productive manner.

Susannah

I feel that I was adequately prepared for attending this University and that there is nothing I felt I particularly struggled with.

Kendra

How big of an emphasis EVERY school places on Greek life.

I wish I had known the course work required of me before I came. My high school didn't push me very hard and I would encourage students to take challenging courses. Get in the right mindset for a lot of work. College isn't a cakewalk and you should treat it thus.

Carrie

I wish that I had known about the other libraries on campus besides the main one. Although the main library is very nice and impressive, it is so large that come exam time, it is very loud. The other, smaller lirbaries located throughout campus offer a quieter environment most of the time.

I wish I would have know some of my friends that I met while living in the dorms at school. I could have got to spend more time with them before they went off and did their own thing with their lives.

I wish that I would have opened up a lot more freshman year. I only hung out with those that I knew from high school and beyond. I also wish that I would have lived in the coed dorm instead of the all male.

Bring an umbrella.

natalie

I wish I had known how hard it would be for financial assistance and scholarships.

Brierly

I knew that the University of Kentucky was trying to be in the top twenty schools, but what I didn't know is that there wasn't a clear path to do so. Some classes are extremely easy, then others are just too difficult. There does not seem to be a lot of organization when it comes to this matter.

Demetrius

I wish I would have known how to actually study because you can not do well at my school if you do not know how to properly study.

More about the professors, class sizes and the overall atmosphere.

Cortney

I think that I was pretty prepared for the college experience. But the one thing I wish I had realized was the distance from home. It was hard for the first couple of weeks. But just remember you will find friends and it gets easier to be away from home and you find a certain kind of family away from home.

Chassity

nothing. I prepared myself prior to enrolling.