University of Kentucky Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for University of Kentucky

Tasha

The professors and faculty are wonderful, helpful, and engaging. There are plenty of opportunities to connect with your peers, and sports are the center of it all. I wish the classes were a bit more intellectually challenging, but overall they are ample in the knowledge given.

Machiyla

I really appreciate the University of Kentucky because I'm struggling to pay my full tuition and I'm way past the due date and they have not kicked me out. The University of Kentucky is a great school because as a minority in this school and state and with all that has been going on, I still feel safe and I feel that I matter.

Stazia

I was hesitant about going away to college and faced many challenges since I am the first generation in my immediate family going to college but it has been great by far. It is good getting away from your hometown and seeing a new view and meeting many other people.

Jared

It's an amazing school. There is so much to do from enjoying the local restaurants of Lexington, to checking out the beautiful Arboretum to take in the beauty of nature. The Student Center is an amazing place to hang out, filled with food, friends, and fun. It's easy to get around campus with the free buses going around the campus around the clock. Professors are usually incredibly nice and easy to communicate with. There's always friendly protests and lots of avocations. Most of the students are incredibly nice and since the campus has no firearms or smoking allowed of any kind, it's safe and beautiful. The only major issue is just how expensive it is! Phew! You better make sure you have some financial aid, otherwise it might be a headache and a half. Other than that, it's an amazing school.

justin

The University of Kentucky is an excellent institution. As a current student, I feel that the UK experience is one unmatched at other experiences. From spring recreation in "The Bowl" out side of William T. Young library, to the sense of community at tutoring at "The Study", the experience students have at UK truly is unique. There is nothing like tailgating at football games, or the atmosphere and support at basketball games, or simply walking around campus, our student body is always unified and friendly. The University of Kentucky is the greatest university. Go Cats!

Cia

UK is a great educational facility. The faculty and staff are generally very helpful and knowledgeable. Campus life is huge, because there is plenty of on-campus housing and activities to partake in, whether that be study groups, orchestra concerts, or free film screenings in Memorial Hall. UK is a fun school with esteemed academia. It's a place to pursue your degree if your serious about getting an education, while still having the "college experience"!

Stacy

The University of Kentucky is an amazing place to be for undergraduate studies. The class sizes are small, and the professors are very caring and always willing to work with you. Communication with faculty is very simple. There are so many resources on campus that can and will help you be successful. The advisors and administrators genuinely care for you. It's easy to get involved with the hundreds of campus organizations. The dorms are clean and everyone in them is caring and compassionate and make you feel like you're at home. The University of Kentucky cares about its students and is a great place to become successful academically and to a great place to call home.

Devin

It’s a great school, I’ve had problems with my school email though and they have yet to help me solve that. They do like to give you a challenge, upper level classes have a different feel and you notice the change in difficulty and how much time you have to dedicate.

Mary

I love it. I have never felt so at home even when I had visited other campuses. I feel like there are a plethora of opportunities to get involved with other students, make lots of friends & memories, and find the perfect major/career path all in four years.

Liyah

Decent school but very pricey if you're not a KY resident. The teachers are willing to help you succeed. There are a lot of places to get extra help. A lot of people on campus. There's always something going on around campus. Events are posted around campus and inside of dorms.

Dylan

The college may be rather big, however, the community is rather close and the campus is beautiful. Everything is rather well placed and easy to walk to while being safe. Also, the professors and the office hours help ensure your success. This school wants you to succeed and tries its best to help you do so.

Diana

I think it's amazing. There isn't any other college I'd rather go to. I have some wonderful friends, and I always feel safe on campus. There's always something new going on, and there are many organizations to be part of. Everyone creates beautiful friendships that last for a lifetime.

Katherine

The University of Kentucky is an interesting school. UK offers eighty-three majors so eighteen year olds that are undecided or change their majors have a wide variety to pick from. While UK is not renowned for more than its basketball team, the academics are still a large part of the university and every professor I’ve met is accessible for any student with questions, as well as the professor’s TAs. While UK can’t claim to have the most beautiful campus in the US, the more modern buildings around campus, like the new student center and science building, are raved about everywhere in Lexington. The campus also has green spaces spread out where students are found playing Frisbee, reading books, or sleighing down hills in the winter. It’s the feeling the campus has that makes students decide to go here - when you step on campus, it feels like home. The part that is the decision maker is the dorms, they have been compared to hotel rooms they are all so beautiful and spacious. There is no doubt that UK has its faults, but I’ve yet to find any when it comes to the dorms, however living on campus does have one- the food. There is good, moderately priced food on campus, but the dining halls do need some work when it comes to hygiene and the freshness of the food. Overall, I love my school and am continuing to be happy with my choice of attending the University of Kentucky.

Madeline

The University of Kentucky in my opinion is a great school to attend. Considering it is a bigger SEC school/University, the people are always nice and welcoming no matter where you are on campus. The faculty is always kind and willing to help you, whether it is asking a professor for help in a class or someone that can help you with your schedule or financials.

Ray

Well, to begin with my major isn't even listed as an option: Studio art. The program overall is good and most of the teachers are knowledgable however emphasis on the meaning behind your work is incredibly stressed. If one were to create work with the same prestige and intelligence as Leonardo da Vinci's and associate no underlying meaning with it as compared to a string of lights and have all the meaning in the world, the later would be the work of art. So if you are one to load your work with meaning than this is the place for you, but if you prefer to focus your artwork on the technical, detailed, and aesthetic properties of art, then you should probably search for another school.

Allisa

The campus is huge, so there is a lot of walking or other methods of transportation. I love the school because the academics are great and there are so many resources to help you in the career path that you want to take. Outside of academics, there are a whole lot of ways to make friends, whether it's in class, clubs or common interests.

Tyler

It's the only place I want to be in school. Fantastic opportunities around every corner to branch out and be yourself. Plenty of great people and we got the basketball that's for sure!! There's plenty of things to do on and off campus wether it's poetry night at the student center, horse racing at Red Mile or Keeneland. You will have plenty to experience!!

Jazmine

Stepping on to the campus there were a lot of interesting things to see. Not many people were there because I was summer time but I did get to see the campus entirely. The people were great. Classrooms are a decent size. I did get lost a little bit because the campus is so big but all in all I had a fun time.

Overall, I love my school. However, it's different from my hometown which was extremely diverse. UK is not that diverse in my opinion which can be a bit uncomfortable sometimes, but there's definitely a place for everyone. Besides the lack of diversity, everything is amazing. The dorms are nice, the professors are caring, and I have genuinely gained so much experience since I've been here. I love my school and the many opportunities I've been able to get since I've been here and I wouldn't want to be anywhere else.

Erin

I'm more interested in the Pharmacy School at the University of Kentucky. It was a very nice and clean building. Many floors and surely productive and engaging atmosphere, somewhere I'd surely want to study at.

Ally

I love how the University of Kentucky offers something for everyone. From agriculture to communication there is a major for every type of person. I feel like it is a very diverse campus and has a lot to offer including many extracurricular events. I 100% recommend University of Kentucky to any person looking to attend a college. It is definitely worth looking into attending to receive your college education.

Aspen

MAJOR PERK ABOUT UK: there are a few majors that are not offered (like my major ISC) in southern states (like GA) and you can get in-state tuition if you plan to choose that major. How cool right? Take advantage of this. I am from Indiana and trust me; out-of-state tuition is not pretty. Also, to any future minority scholars: APPLY FOR THE WILLIAM C. PARKER SCHOLARSHIP. It's easy free money. UK is an amazing university. I love this school. Within my first month here I got offered so many opportunities for internships and clubs. There's always something to do one campus. Food is great. The only thing that gets a 0/5 stars in my mind is all the construction, but hey. At least we like keeping the campus up-to-date. C-A-T-S CATS,​ CATS, CATS!!!

Trenten

My first week at the University of Kentucky was very overwhelming; thousands upon thousands of kids just like me all over the place, all doing whatever and trying to get accustomed to this new environment just like me. I was excited to be there, but nervous about making new friends and finding out what I was passionate for. Weeks passed, and my nerves slowly eased away as I quickly befriended some of my greatest friends that lived on the same floor of the residence hall I was in. Quit similarly, after countless advisor meetings and talking to a career specialist, I was able to really narrow down and lock in on what I was passionate about. I am grateful for the tools that were available to me and I continue to strive for my passions at this school.

Ava

It’s a great school. Both the staff and students are very welcoming and make you feel wanted. You are pampered with great living between amazing dorms, dining, and campus activities. The president is also incredible. He has renovated almost the entire campus and is responsible for creating a stronger football team. Lexington is amazing as well. There is so much to do in the town and near by. Between national parks, big cities, amazing restaurants, and many more options, you never get bored. I love my school and I would prefer no other.

Tranae

Overall my experience here at the University of Kentucky, has been pretty mediocre. At this University the experience is what you make it. With that being said after I chose to get more involved on campus I started to enjoy my experience at the university more than I did my freshman year. Making it a more enjoyable experience.

Rainna

The University of Kentucky is an awesome place to learn and live. In the short time I have attended UK, I feel like I have grown not only as a student, but also as a person. The academics are good and challenging. The entire school environment is awesome because it is a diverse campus and it has amazing athletics.

Gabriella

The University of Kentucky is an amazing university with plenty of opportunities to those who search. Despite how big campus is, the feeling on campus can compare to a small, home town. On any given day you can see students in their UK gear or their club affiliations, smiling and genuinely enjoying being on campus. You can always find tables filled with students who donate their time to talk to students about their club or affiliation to raise awareness and promote involvement in the community. Campus is very diverse, people from all walks of life come together to support the Kentucky Wildcats. We all share a common love for the Big Blue!

Courtney

The University of Kentucky is a beautiful, energetic, challenging university. Where else do they allow you to be in a cadaver lab your freshman year or taking patient history and vitals your sophomore year. Four hospitals right there on campus too. The professors are challenging and tough, but it helps to prepare you for your finals and for your patients. Greek life is a wonderful addition. I found my family away from home. I wouldn't want to go through my college years without them. The Wildcats Men's Basketball team is one of the best in the country. You will see A Sea Of Blue during The NCAA tournament on campus and around Lexington. The William T. Young Library is one of the largest in the country. Opened 24 hours with each floor designated to students wanting to study in groups or by themselves. There is a floor to fit your needs. And that is simply how this university will open its campus to you. Whether it's going to concerts, sports, horses, theater or to a party in the corn fields riding a mechanical bull. There is something for everyone. Come check out The University of Kentucky. I'm so blessed that I did.

Evin

I am pleased to call the University of Kentucky of Lexington KY my home. There are plenty of academic opportunities available for anyone. The professors and faculty are fantastic, they all seem to care for your success in your academics. Campus is always changing with the construction of new modern buildings with the latest technology for students to take advantage to. And have you seen the dorms? The university has put forth an amazing effort to see that students are comfortable in not only their academics, but in the state of living as well. But UK isn't all just studying and textbooks, there's plenty to get involved in on campus for recreation enjoyment. With an assortment of clubs, a large geek life scene, and Kentucky wildcat basketball, you'll always have plenty to keep you entertained.

Jaliyah

My overall opinion of the University of Kentucky begins with the fact that there is not much to review. Besides Greek Life, clubs within majors, clubs involving specific ethnic groups, and sports, there is only a small gray area in between. Lexington, Kentucky in itself is like any other typical college town. Meaning outside of what happens on campus or involves the university, there really is not much happening. For those people (like me) who do not fit in with any of the groups that I previously listed, there is not much to be entertained by. On the other hand I know what most people might say about someone like me, "why don't you just to try and meet people", or "get out of your dorm and join a new club". Well, I have done all of those things. However, the clubs and organizations that I did join made it almost impossible to penetrate the thick wall they surrounded their inner circle with. Which makes college life for a freshman who does not know anything or anyone much more difficult. I would like to say though that the University of Kentucky as a whole should not be considered a "bad" school. Though any student that is looking for community or culture outside of this predominantly white institutions (PWI) stereotypical activities, then the University of Kentucky is not for you.

Leah

I'm looking forward to attending the school!

Joanna

I like University of Kentucky. There is a great environment and so many opportunities to get involved on campus. Greek life is a very big aspect here, however there are plenty of people who do not partake in fraternity/sorority events and still have a great time. There is something for everyone. The class sizes vary from 25 to 300 just depending on what you're taking but the professors are very helpful and all of them have office hours. Most provide a quality education.

Bailee

The University of Kentucky is overall an amazing school to attend as all of the professors I have met so far are willing to meet with students any time they need help. Although there are many classes that have at least 100 students, it is surprisingly not overwhelming at all. Classes can be difficult but aren't impossible if you put forth the effort it takes to pass. The only negatives about UK is the surrounding neighborhoods are not the most safe, so it's better to walk with friends if you are intending to go out at night. It is also challenging to find your place socially (if you're not Greek) as it is hard to know where exactly to start involving yourself since campus is pretty large.

Morgan

The University of Kentucky is everything I wanted it to be and more. It's a wonderful community to be a part of, one that isn't too massive that I feel alienated but also not too small that I feel like people are staring at me. The campus has so many resources, I know that I'll receive help or be able to find what I need in any situation. I believe that I chose the perfect place to pursue my undergraduate degree and live out the next few years of my life.

Whitney

This campus is constantly changing and upgrading to compete with other campuses. It is a research university and is the flagship university of the state. Everyone should come to UK. This is such an inviting campus and despite having so many students, most of the classes are small, but some of the beginning freshman courses have quite a few people in them. It's well worth touring at the very least.

Kaylee

When I consider the time I have spent at the University of Kentucky, I am overwhelmed with the amount of emotion which stirs around in my head. The University of Kentucky has been my home for the past two years and has become a place where I am able to not only receive an excellent education, but create relationships which will last me a life time. Kentucky has provided me with countless tools I will be able to use after graduation, during my future career and beyond. While supplying me with wonderful professors and faculty, the University of Kentucky has exceeded my expectations of what "college days" looks like. Adults in my life always say they remember life in college, well I cant wait for the day when I am able to tell younger generations of my "college days" at the University of Kentucky. Go Cats!

Victoria

Amazing! I love the school and the community. I feel so safe and at home always. I recommend anyone to apply there and be ready to bleed blue!

April

My overall opinion of UK is that it is overall average. The greek life is huge and even though you can still have a life outside of being greek it can be very challenging. The academics are average, some courses are challenging but overall not too overwhelming, especially as an underclassman.

Nice school, good options

Michelle

It's totally amazing.

Corey

I chose UK because I wanted to get away from home and it was the best decision I've made. Going to UK has given me so many opportunities to meet tons of new people and join different clubs. No matter where I am in the world I'm always proud to say I go to THE University of Kentucky.

University of Kentucky is a great place to go to school in most aspects. I have really struggled with meeting friends here, however. I didn't join a sorority and I often wish I had. Greek life is a very big thing here at UK. Most of my friends are in my classes which isn't necessarily a bad thing. I love school here. If I had to pick a favorite place on campus it would hands-down between the William T. Young Library.

Christine

I love my university. I wouldn't have gone anywhere else. I could have very easily attended a smaller university but, this one makes anyone feel like they are home and have a belonging here. I switched majors. I love that I get to stay an extra year!

Chelsea

I love University of Kentucky. The academics are great along with the programs on campus. There are so many fun things you can do on campus or around Lexington because it's the campus is in the heart of Lex. I advice anyone to go to U.K. The professors are awesome along with the resources on campus such as the Willy T library. Also the food is great there are so many choices on campus and off. This is a great school.

The University of Kentucky is such a great school! It has been a goal of mine to attend since I was in elementary school.

Bridget

I am SO happy I ended up choosing the University of Kentucky for these 4 years of my life! My only complaint is that on-campus housing, while amazing and up to date in every way, is very expensive and no "bad" options are available for students who would like to cut costs of attendance that way. Everything else, professors, classmates, schedules, facilities(like the library) are amazing! I easily found an on-campus job my first semester and coming from out-of-state also made a ton of friends! I was able to join a lot of clubs and get involved in many different parts of campus life. At UK, I never felt homesick and couldn't wait to get back on campus every time I went home for break.

Olivia

I have always dreamed about attending UK, and now that I am, life is good. Campus is beautiful and constantly improving, the professors are top notch, the housing is nice, there are plenty of food options, and there is a group on campus for everyone!!

Anji

Great school, but not geared towards the non-traditional student. I like the atmosphere and the grounds. There are lots of eateries on campus with good food, but the best place is just off campus and is called Hibachi Express. The parking is horrible, definitely park at the stadium and bus in.

Madison

The University of Kentucky has become my second home after moving to Lexington for school. I've dreamed about coming here since middle school, and it was incredibly exciting to make my dream a reality. The campus does not disappoint. It is absolutely stunning here and there's always something fun going on, no matter what you're into to. The academics are competitive and credible, even as a state school. The professors are really here to help you succeed if you're willing to try. Go Cats!

Diane

The University of Kentucky is a great school to come to if you want to fight to earn your degree and keep your head above water. They tell you it's all about the students but there is no way thinking of the students is tearing up the campus, increasing tuition and making getting additional scholarships nearly impossible. Also, there is no way to bring friends and family to campus because parking is non-existant.