University of La Verne Top Questions

David

Great Academic Standards not to many kids to professor ratio

All my professors know my name, and that is partially because of the low student to teacher ratio. Also because of this ratio, class participation is increased, but not in a competitive way. I am a political science major with intent to go to law school. I am enjoying all of my classes.

Allyse

The classes are extremely small. The largest class I've had consisted of about 24 students, and my smallest class had 3. That class was a writing theory class, in which we learned the basis of tutoring, and actually became tutors through the course of the semester. The settings are intimate, and the professors get to know each and every student. If a student misses class, the professor knows and might call him or her out on it the next time they see him or her. The students often get the professor's phone number, e-mail, extension, and other information. There have also been a few occasions when I've been invited, along with the rest of the class, to the professor's home for an end-of-the-semester dinner or gathering. You really get to know the professors well. I am an English major, and the English department is amazing. I really like all of my professors, and they all know each other well, which is beneficial. I have regular meetings with my adviser, who is one of my professors, and we talk about my graduation date and options. One of the things I like most about being an English major at ULV is the fact that I am able to easily get my teaching credentials there. The academics at ULV are taken very seriously, and students are rewarded for high grades. There are numerous honor clubs, for each major. It is truly an honor to be accepted into one of these. Outside of class, students spend a lot of time at the library. I know that some majors, such as Biology, are more time-consuming than others, such as Business. For my major, it is mostly reading and writing papers. This seems to some as a dreary and dreadful way to spend time, but it comes easily to me.