Lafayette, LA
University of Louisiana at Lafayette

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Louisiana at Lafayette

Hey Rachel, I see you sitting on Instagram in Global Studies. Pay attention and take notes! Oh yeah and that A.P. test you have in two weeks, start studying, those credits will save you a bunch of money. Twitter is not as important as everyone makes it seem. Studying will help you more than you think. Planners will help you adjust to the crazy college schedule you will get. Between a job, a sport, and school, a planner will then become your new best friend. Community college is not as shitty as you think. The professors at community college are the same professors that teach at four year universities. Oh and for your birthday do not expect anything fancy. Good luck little one, and good call not wearing those wedges to graduation, the stage was bumpy.

Donovan

I would tell myself that college is nothing like highschool and it wont be as easy as I expected it to be. Classes are different teachers are different and even the students are different.

The typical lazy student should not attend the University of Louisiana at Lafayette because it is school that requires you to do a lot of studing .

The most frustraing thing about the University of Louisiana at Lafayette is the amount of foreign teachers and the speed that they teach at.

Brooke

We are the Ragin' Cajuns and known for the tight knit family environment as well as excellent, nationally ranked programs like Engineering, Nursing, Biology, and Business.

I would tell myself to relax and enjoy myself, but to still work hard. High school is a great time to build and strengthen relationships to try your best to show your friends how much you care about them and make an effort to stay in touch. College can be hard if you go in with very few friends and this could make the transition much easier for you. Continue to give back to your community, be kind, and outgoing. Many times you have to make the first move to get to know someone so put yourself out there! It may seem easier to sit back and wait for people to come to you, but life is short and you shouldn't waste some of the best years of your life being lonely waiting for people to walk up to you and initiate a friendship or relationship. Be good to your family and always be loyal and be yourself. You can try to fake it 'till you make it , but you will not be happy; although you may be able to fake appearing happy, happiness comes from within. Love yourself and appreciate what you offer the world. You are beautiful.

The worst thing about this school is that they do not provide education for the graduate degree I am currently working towards. There is a pretty big emphasis on greek life here.

Charity

My school is a school that takes pride in it's heritage in Cajun Louisiana, and strives to maintain a comfortable environment with interesting diverse people.

My school is best known for their Ragin Cajun pride and school spirit as well as priding in it's unique ethical diversity.

Oh my goodness! I would tell the "high school" me a LOT of things. I would first tell myself to NEVER EVER procrastinate at all, no matter what! I would also tell myself to study up ahead of time, and try to do my best, not just expecting A's to fall out of the sky and onto my paper. Another thing that I would tell myself, is that life happens. There is no need trying to control things that I cannot, I need to cope and move on. Also, eat a hearty breakfast. People are people, some will like you, and some will not, do not worry about the ones that don't. You real friends will come along when they are supposed to.

Nicholas

My school is best known for being "acessible," therefore attracting many students. The surrounding area is a colelge town, so the community can sometimes embrace the party lifestyl of our school, but most of the time there is a discrimination of the students that attend, making it hard for students like me, who just want to focus on their studies and graduate.

Dear Past Nick: Please understand that just because you live in the same town as ULL, that doesn't mean that it's your only option! You're a very dedicated student, who has stuck with his major ever since he chose it, and a lot of schools in the area have great programs. ULL is a "cheap school," but you'll be working your butt off just to survive, and that will hinder your grades. Please apply yourself in applying for scholorships, since you have the grades to back it up. You don't have many extra-ciriculars, but that's because you're constantly studying and workign just to get by. I wish you luck once you get to college, but honestly, you'll do fine. Future NIck

Students attending ULL should have an idea of what they would like to study, and firmly believe in it, because the school is very practical-orientated. You need to be passionate about your subject area, and ready to work hard, then you'll suceed.

Callie

My classmates all seem friendly yet focused mainly on their education.

My classmates all seem friendly yet focused mainly on their education.

UL has a very fun campus with several professors who genuinely care about their students. It has a beautiful campus that's continuously being improved. It also happens to be the most inexpensive university I've ever heard of, and yet you can still get a quality education. It's even ranked as one of the top universities in computer science and in engineering.

Knowing what I know now, I would advise myself to not put assignments off to prevent me from feeling overwhelmed. I would also suggest that I go to as many free events and make as many friends as I could but avoid dating for a while. I would suggest this because going to college events and making new friends is a wonderful part of the whole college experience but dating tends to create additional stress and can lead to unnecessary drama in a person's life.

Clarissa

Becoming a senior in high school can be very fun and exciting, but it can also be very stressful. Students looks forward to being the students that run the school. Many students stress because they need to assure they pass all their classes to graduate, prepare for all their last school activities and last but not least prepare for graduation. If I can talk to myself as a high school senior I would recommend to enjoy myself and take school seriously. Being independent and not relying on others is very important because in college teachers just asign the work and it is the students responsibilty to complete the work on time. I would also recommend to high school seniors is that don't make friends your main priority, although friends are always great to have, most friends you have in high school will not become long term friends. Just focus on yourself and studies and do whatever it takes so you can have a bright future and succeed in life.

lisa

The University of Louisiana at Lafayette is a diverse campus that offers a variety of majors and other opportunties such as greek life and community opportunties.

The advice that I would give myself is to accept that college life is a different world from the high school setting. It offers the student independence from parents rules and family obligations such as chores. The college life allows the student to grow and mature into that young adult because the student has so many decisions to make. The college life can be a good or bad experience based on the choices that the student makes such as whether to stay in the dorm and study or go out and party with friends. The college student needs to be well-balanced and a quick decision maker. The student has to know where to go and how to talk to people about the different majors, community involvement, and other available events such as greek life. Overall, the student has to know how to plan ahead and keep organizers such as calendars so that deadlines for test, work, job requirements, and other events are not missed. The college student needs to find time to do volunteer work, which is something that I missed out on during my undergrad years. College life is a different world that goes beyond 8 hours .

The type of person that should attend this school should be a great decision maker. They should first ask themselves what do I want to be or accomplish out of life. They should research the campus or college to see if that school can accomplish and meet their goals. They should be the type of person to ask questions and do research so they can see what jobs are booming. They should be the type of person to make up their own decisions based on the available majors and research on the current job market.

Khanthong

If I could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior with the present knowledge that I have about college life, I would advise myself to escape from adherence to the constraint of responsibility. I’m glad to currently be in the process of getting a Degree; however, I am regretful of my decision to attend the University nearly 20 miles away from home. I felt obliged to not worry my parents and the anxiety that I wouldn’t be able to support myself, had I gone elsewhere. Consequently, I feel confined from life-learning exposures and opportunities because nothing happens in Lafayette and no one amazingly famous comes by for a brief visitation. Community activity in the city and even on campus is minimal and people, though friendly and kind, live day to day with firm beliefs and traditions that bore me to the bone. I was terribly unaware of how the matters surrounding my source of education could somehow depress me but now, I recognize that the most practical decisions does not always result in the best outcome. If I could go back, I’d tell myself to just let go and live.

The lack of diverse entertainment and people are things that I consider to be the worst about ULL. However, it is not the Universities fault for why the diversity rate is so low; it is simply the location in south Louisiana and the French/Creole culture that attracts more of a particular race of people. Entertainment on campus includes: orchestras, burger bashes, crawfish eating, supporting the not-so talented football team, and sorority get togethers. There may be other things that I forgotten...go figure. Off-campus events include football tailgating, after-hour shopping...

Lack of interesting differences among people. A lot of people dress the same, act the same, and even think the same.

Fartina

My school is the best school in the area for the major that I will be enrolling in which is Nursing.

I would say Tina, think about your future. Consider what you really want out of life and measure your actions and behavior against your goals. There will be many distractions and it will be up to you to silence them or allow them to gain large amounts of your attention to set you off track. You'll have fun developing friends and relationships that may last a lifetime but remember to keep your education above everything else. Friends are special but a quality education is priceless. The one thing that can't be devalued by an employer, is the discipline and dedication it takes to be committed to a goal long enough to finish it. So be careful with the decisions you make and never be afraid to talk to an expert or an academic professional about an issue. Many are willing to help if you let them. If you continue trying to succeed and become determined not to give up, you get to your destination no matter how many cracks, detours, wrong way signs, and closed roads cross your path.

The most frustrating thing about my school is that they are not lenient for some aspects of the admission process. It is not easy to get in contact with those that are in charge.

University of Louisiana at Lafayette administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.