Lafayette, LA
University of Louisiana at Lafayette

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Louisiana at Lafayette

sarah

Today as I look back at myself a year ago. I smile proudly. Not because I was the most successful student in my high school, or I had a 4.5 GPA. No, I was actually one of the average students, who had a 2.7 GPA. But I was a hard worker, a determined student, and an achiever. I smile proudly, because I never missed any homework, and never turned an assignment not on time. However, the only thing that bothers me, when I remember myself in high school is that how I never took time as serious as I do now. If I had the chance to talk to myself when I was a high school senior, I would advise myself to respect time as much as possible. Arrive to class on time, not 5 minutes later, and attend every school day I am able to attend.

Stefanie

Dear Past Me, Some advice from me to you on handling college and college life would be to calm down, and don't stress out. Enjoy life in high school and try to get more involved. Visit the College Guidence Counselor as often as you can, he really knows what he is doing and wants to help. Apply for as many scholarships as you can! One book costs $130! Try and get grants too, anything will help you when it comes to paying for school. Most importantly, take classes that you are interested in; yes you'll have to take math and biology your first year, everyone does, but be sure that your other classes are interesting. Why pay to be bored? Try to enjoy college, it's the last step before becoming a "real" adult.

The school hosts a lot of events for students to get to know each other.

The most frustrating thing about UL is the parking situation. They have enough spaces for the people who live on campus to park while the commuters (nearly half the students) are forced to park at the Cajun Dome and ride the bus to campus, or park in neighborhoods and walk. While the school does have some spaces available for commuters, they go fast and are nearly 500$.

Christina

I would tell myself a few things. I now know things that I wish I knew back then. Had I known it sooner I may have been better off. First thing I would tell myself is to be careful who I become friends with. I made friends with some really immature and few emotionally and mentally unstable people at one school I went to. It is fun to joke around with people but there is a time and place. It was a lot of drama I got into with people. You need to find friends who are good for you not ones who cause you trouble. Another thing I would tell myself is to stay focused. School is hard work. Like anything of value you need to work hard to get. A semester can go by fast. It is ok to have fun now and then but school comes first. I wish I went back in time and told myself that. As they say "hindsite is 20/20". As I continue my education I will keep those two things in mind.

Hey Rachel, I see you sitting on Instagram in Global Studies. Pay attention and take notes! Oh yeah and that A.P. test you have in two weeks, start studying, those credits will save you a bunch of money. Twitter is not as important as everyone makes it seem. Studying will help you more than you think. Planners will help you adjust to the crazy college schedule you will get. Between a job, a sport, and school, a planner will then become your new best friend. Community college is not as shitty as you think. The professors at community college are the same professors that teach at four year universities. Oh and for your birthday do not expect anything fancy. Good luck little one, and good call not wearing those wedges to graduation, the stage was bumpy.

Donovan

I would tell myself that college is nothing like highschool and it wont be as easy as I expected it to be. Classes are different teachers are different and even the students are different.

The typical lazy student should not attend the University of Louisiana at Lafayette because it is school that requires you to do a lot of studing .

The most frustraing thing about the University of Louisiana at Lafayette is the amount of foreign teachers and the speed that they teach at.

Brooke

We are the Ragin' Cajuns and known for the tight knit family environment as well as excellent, nationally ranked programs like Engineering, Nursing, Biology, and Business.

I would tell myself to relax and enjoy myself, but to still work hard. High school is a great time to build and strengthen relationships to try your best to show your friends how much you care about them and make an effort to stay in touch. College can be hard if you go in with very few friends and this could make the transition much easier for you. Continue to give back to your community, be kind, and outgoing. Many times you have to make the first move to get to know someone so put yourself out there! It may seem easier to sit back and wait for people to come to you, but life is short and you shouldn't waste some of the best years of your life being lonely waiting for people to walk up to you and initiate a friendship or relationship. Be good to your family and always be loyal and be yourself. You can try to fake it 'till you make it , but you will not be happy; although you may be able to fake appearing happy, happiness comes from within. Love yourself and appreciate what you offer the world. You are beautiful.

The worst thing about this school is that they do not provide education for the graduate degree I am currently working towards. There is a pretty big emphasis on greek life here.

Charity

My school is a school that takes pride in it's heritage in Cajun Louisiana, and strives to maintain a comfortable environment with interesting diverse people.

My school is best known for their Ragin Cajun pride and school spirit as well as priding in it's unique ethical diversity.

Oh my goodness! I would tell the "high school" me a LOT of things. I would first tell myself to NEVER EVER procrastinate at all, no matter what! I would also tell myself to study up ahead of time, and try to do my best, not just expecting A's to fall out of the sky and onto my paper. Another thing that I would tell myself, is that life happens. There is no need trying to control things that I cannot, I need to cope and move on. Also, eat a hearty breakfast. People are people, some will like you, and some will not, do not worry about the ones that don't. You real friends will come along when they are supposed to.

Nicholas

My school is best known for being "acessible," therefore attracting many students. The surrounding area is a colelge town, so the community can sometimes embrace the party lifestyl of our school, but most of the time there is a discrimination of the students that attend, making it hard for students like me, who just want to focus on their studies and graduate.

Dear Past Nick: Please understand that just because you live in the same town as ULL, that doesn't mean that it's your only option! You're a very dedicated student, who has stuck with his major ever since he chose it, and a lot of schools in the area have great programs. ULL is a "cheap school," but you'll be working your butt off just to survive, and that will hinder your grades. Please apply yourself in applying for scholorships, since you have the grades to back it up. You don't have many extra-ciriculars, but that's because you're constantly studying and workign just to get by. I wish you luck once you get to college, but honestly, you'll do fine. Future NIck

Students attending ULL should have an idea of what they would like to study, and firmly believe in it, because the school is very practical-orientated. You need to be passionate about your subject area, and ready to work hard, then you'll suceed.

Callie

My classmates all seem friendly yet focused mainly on their education.

My classmates all seem friendly yet focused mainly on their education.

UL has a very fun campus with several professors who genuinely care about their students. It has a beautiful campus that's continuously being improved. It also happens to be the most inexpensive university I've ever heard of, and yet you can still get a quality education. It's even ranked as one of the top universities in computer science and in engineering.

Knowing what I know now, I would advise myself to not put assignments off to prevent me from feeling overwhelmed. I would also suggest that I go to as many free events and make as many friends as I could but avoid dating for a while. I would suggest this because going to college events and making new friends is a wonderful part of the whole college experience but dating tends to create additional stress and can lead to unnecessary drama in a person's life.

University of Louisiana at Lafayette administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.