Lafayette, LA
University of Louisiana at Lafayette

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Louisiana at Lafayette

The best thing about UL is its sense of community. Where ever you walk/go, there is always a smiling face and someone willing to help. I think our school is the right size...not to large and not to small. When I tell people I go to UL, I get one of two reactions: 1)"Wow that sucks. Why didn't you go to LSu?" or 2)"That's cool. What are you studying?" I spend most of my time walking from class to class. I don't have very many breaks in between classes but when I do, I normally head to PJ's Coffee. I don't think we are a college town but we do have a GREAT night life. Besides New Orleans, I would say we had the best night life. I think UL's administration could be tweaked a bit in a sense of modernized. I think we need to get with the times in all the colleges not just the business college. I would say that there is a good amount of school pride. I think it is sometimes hard to be extremely school spirited when you have LSU as your neighbors.

Thses stereotypes are definitely incorrect. UL has one of the best Engineering and Nursing programs in the nation. It also has one of the best Business schools in the state. Lafayette is not a college town...it is a community. Many people were born in Lafayette and plan to stay here, but not everyone by far. We have a high percentage of foreigners who attend UL as well.

Most, if not all, of my professors know my name and have gotten to know me on a personal level. I have many favorite classes and teachers ranging from liberal arts to business. The studying habits of students are various. We are typical college students. I find UL students are highly intellectual but fun at the same time. Some students are competitive. I am taking the most unique class right now. It is my Advanced Composition class. I am a double major in Accounting and Spanish. I am very close to many of my professors. I think the academic requirements are fair and attainable.

I think the Greek system is very popular on campus, but I am biased because I am a Greek. Athletic events are somewhat popular. Personally, baseball is my favorite time of year. I met my closest friends through my sorority and my majores. If I am awake at 2am, I am studying and definitely not at a bar. Now if it was a Friday or Saturday, that would be a different story. Some people go out from Monday to Monday with no break in between but others just go out on the weekends. Last weekend, I stayed home on Friday to catch up on sleep and then I went out on Saturday. A Saturday night without alcohol could consist of going listen to a band play, movie, dinner, and maybe house parties with no alcohol. There really isn't much to do on campus so everything is pretty much done off campus.

I believe UL is stereotyped as being an easy school for people who couldn't get into LSU. Another stereotype is that we are all from the country and have no plans on moving away from Lafayette.

Bevan

The best thing about UL is the teachers. They are very helpful and they are always there for you. One thing I would change about UL would have to be the parking. Parking is CRAZY on campus. I think UL is just right, some classes could be smaller. When I tell people I go to UL they often make a comment about their sports. I spend most of my time in the library or in class. I think UL has a very good administration. I do not recall a big controversy on campus. I do not think UL has much pride. I wish more people would attend the football games, etc. I do not think there is anything unsual about UL. I'll always remember some of my classes I have taken. Most students complain about the parking or the courses.

I do not encounter any experience with racial or religous groups on campus. I do not think anyone in particular would feel out of place at UL. Most students wear jeans and t-shirts to class. Yes, all different types of students interact.

No, these stereotypes are definitely not accurate.

Yes, most professors do learn our names. My favorite class was Theatre. My least favorite class was all of my history classes. I think some students study pretty often. Yes, I believe that class participation is very common. Yes, we do have intellectual conversations outside of class. I think some students are competitive but in a good way. The most unique class I have taken is Theatre. I learned so many things in that class. No, I do not usually spend time with my professors outside of class unless I need help with something. I think the academic requirements are good. I think education at UL is geared toward getting a job and some can be for learning for its own sake. You take in what you learn and apply it.

UL students are scattered all over campus. There is not one particular spot. No, students in the dorms usually lock their doors. The athletic events are not that popular. I think that is something we need to work towards, be more supportive. I met my closest friends in my classes. We have the same major so we end up in classes together for quite a few semesters. If I am awake at 2am on Tuesday, I might be studying. We have Laniappe week that happens each year. I think people party pretty often. Sororities and Fraternities are very important to me because I am part of one. Last weekend I did some homework and hung out with friends. I can hang out with friends and watch movies. Off campus I usually do homework and study or hang out with friends.

People often think UL Lafayette is a bad school because of our football team.

Blanche

Overall, I love it here at UL. If I HAD to choose one thing to change about UL is some of the organizational skills that some teachers and advisors have. It's not bad, but it could be better. Lafayette is definitely a "college town". I would think the most unusual thing about UL is that our "lake" or "pond" on campus is actually a swamp! Ha. There is a good amount of school pride. Once again, there could be definitely be more, but it's not dull!

No! I know tons and tons of people who willingly choose to come to UL for many reasons, and I'm one of them. I also know many people who leave LSU to come to UL because they were not happy there.

Most stereotypes that I've heard about UL is that the majority of the students attending are the only the ones who who could not get into LSU.

Dustin

The best thing about UL is definitely the swamp. There were days whenever I was stressed or upset or possibly even bored that I just went outside to sit by the swamp. I think it was very cooling and something relaxing to watch. If there is one thing I could change, I would change the buildings. I think so many of them are horrible and gross. I think our campus is just the right size. People react when they find out I'm from UL Lafayette by being amused at our mascot! I spend most of my time on campus in class! I think the UL administration is growing out of touch with the student needs. I think that standards and expectations are being relaxed and do not have to be met. One example, the building shapes. The lack of cleaning, the lack of so many things that is pure oversight by administration. I think the biggest controversy on our campus is the recent shootings of UL students. I believe there is a lot of school pride. UL Lafayette is unusual for its mascot, the Cayenne (Ragin Cajuns!) and our swamp!!! I think the experiences I will always remember are the great times I had in the debate team and some comical moments in SGA! The most frequent student complaint is parking. However, most students do not realize there is nothing that can be done to fix the problem. All universities have that problem and we are a land locked school.

I don't think our university is very diverse at all. So many other schools are more diverse, including high schools only a portion of our size.

Yes, most professors know me by name. My favorite classes are always the Communication courses! My least favorite = foreign languages. I think students study all the time. Class participation is very common at UL Lafayette. You will always have someone volunteering to speak/respond to the teacher (even though it's uncalled for!) UL students definitely hold intellectual conversations outside of classes by debating material, studying the material, and joining extra curricular activities that provide for the intellectual opportunities. The students at UL, depending on the program, are very competitive.

I think the more popular organizations on Campus are SOS and UPC.

I think some stereotypes about UL students is that they don't care about the university. I think a lot of people assume just b/c there is a lack of sports attendance it automatically means lack of school pride. I think it's completely untrue, I think all students want the UL name to succeed so they're degree can mean something.

Steph

The best thing of UL has got to be that a good bit of the teachers are from down here and definatly have that home town feeling that i like. I would love to change the parking situation at UL. It is the worst idea ever. they make us park at cajun field, which is like a mile from campus, but provide a bus (which is old and smelly, with student drivers) to take us to campus. the bus has actually got to be the worst thing ever because they pile on as many people as humanly possible, stuffing the last people on the bus to stand in the aisles holding on to the bar on the roof. And that could be bad for everyone. UL definatly has some unusual things going on. First of all, the strip, cuts right through campus. So its not far for the students staying on campus to get a little drunk on a friday night. Also there is a big swamp located right behind the student union. and like most swamps, there are live alligators living in it. Then once a year, they have canoe races in the swamp. (strange huh?)

there are two types of people at UL. the ones who dress up and the ones who dont. the ones who dress up are the ones who get up every morning and wear nice clothes to school. Like dressier shirts, jeans, and heels, or slacks and jacket. Then they have the people who look like they woke up ten minutes ago and threw on a pair of jeans, a tee shirt, threw their hair in a ponytail and put a hat on. the latter one being me. Most of the UL students are from local towns, being Lafayette, New Iberia, Delcambre, Loraville, ect.

Well, im not saying that everyone there should be going to college, because there are some people i wonder how they did manage to make into college. As far as UL being dirty and old, it is. The buildings that have been there forever are old, and dirty. But the newer buildings are okay.

Most of the time the professors dont know your name. They dont really try to know your name. They pass around the roll sheet and go about there business. Every now and then the teachers have a small class and there is alot of interaction between the student and professor, in which case, they do learn who we are. My favorite class would have to be my sociology 101 class. My professor is the coolest person ever. i didnt have to buy a book, and she gets up there and actually keeps me interested in what is going on. Most of the time when a teacher gets up there and lectures, i loose focus, but not with her.

Some stereotypes are the students there are stupid, and poor. UL is thought to be dirty and old.

Tiffany

I was one of those kids who didn't want to go to UL. I wanted to get away from home and meet new people. Little did I know UL was just the place for that. I never see anyone I went to high school with. I joined a sorority and many other organizations on campus, which helped meet to meet lots of new people, many that I can call my best friends.

People in Louisiana need to face the fact, our lives don't evolve around LSU. What kind of education does LSU have? UL has some of the best programs in the country, including nursing, engineering, architecture, and computer science. Not only that, but the people are much nicer. The main perk about UL is its price. Okay, so our football team may not be the best, okay they are really bad, but the baseball and softball teams were both ranked in pre-season polls and the basketball team just won its division.

People only go to UL because they cant get into LSU. Our sports are bad.

Julie

Having graduated from a small private school, I was nervous about going to a large public university. However, I have very much enjoyed being a student at UL. I have met a great number of people from vastly great varieties of walks of life. The best thing to do at UL (or at any university for that matter) is to get involved on campus. Anyone who says he has a hard time making friends does not try. Being only an hour aways from a 3 time national championship football team (LSU), the Ragin Cajuns often get overlooked, but there are still the Cajun faithfuls. We enjoy our tailgating and wearing red with pride! The city of Lafayette and Lafayette businesses do a great job supporting the university and its students. Many places in town give discounts for students and are eager to support the athletics and student organizations.

If you are looking for a university that has just about every type of ethnicity, religious background, political background, etc., UL is definitely the place! The university is very culturally diverse. I don't think there are any type of students that would feel isolated or alienated at UL.

UL does have many students from the Lafayette area, but there are many many other states and countries represented Since being a student at UL, I have been very pleasantly surprised with the "top notch" academics. The classes and professors are by no means second rate. It is true that the student population at UL parties a good bit, but if clubbing is not your thing, they are still plenty of students who do not.

The Biology department at UL is one of the best, and the professors are great. I have personally gotten to know several of my professors, and they have provided sound advice for me. Of course, in the large lecture classes, it is difficult to know every student, but they have always been very welcoming and helpful during office hours. I'm not sure about other majors, but for the most part, Biology majors study a good bit. A good portion are trying to get into medical school, and grades are very important.

UL has over 100 different student organizations from academic to religious to athletic to community service to just for fun. Dorm life is not hug at UL. Most students live off campus or in campus apartments. There is always a decent amount of students at every sporting event. I met almost all of my closest friends from student organizations. Although, I am not involved in Greek life, there are many that are. Although, I would not say it's the main thing to do. Every spring, the University Program Council hosts Lagniappe Week. It involves a variety of events from community/charity events to movie night in the Union. Homecoming week is similar, and it takes place in the fall. If you are awake at 2am on a Tuesday, you are most likely cramming for a test or writing a paper, but on a Friday or Saturday, you are most likely out with friends. Lafayette has a very large variety of restaurants, most notably Cajun cuisine. There are also several movie theaters. Downtown Lafayette hosts many fine arts events. Once a month there is an art walk. There are many places to see local bands, and there is even a restaurant that hosts salsa dancing and several Cajun dancing venues.

hometown college with hometown people second rate academics students who like to party all the time

Robert

It is a rather friendly atmosphere, and there is lots to do around this little town. I would fire every single person affiliated with parking and transit office and completely revamp their system. There isn't a student here who does not absolutely hate them and their system. Our school is growing but is having trouble accomodating the growing numbers. It is a school not too many people from New Orleans (where I am from) think of often, but they know it's their and know a few people there. I am always working out or studying. I sometimes study in the library or in my room. That's about all my time on campus. It is a dry campus (no alcohol) which sucks. There are overly-strict rules about opposite gender visitors. It is a college town, but a little less-so as you move out away from the campus. Like I said, it is a very rapidly growing city. The administration is a bit of a pain to deal with at times. Particularly this goes for the housing department and the parking and transit department. There should be IQ restrictions for working in these big people-person departments. The biggest controversy is probably parking. Though, I often dislike the lack of nutritional value that is put into the cafeteria's food. There is some school pride. Though, we spend most of our time living under LSU's shadow. We are the only campus in the nation with a swamp in the middle of campus. I will always remember going around and writing goofy things on the sidewalk with chalk with my friends when I was a freshman. Most of the complaints are about the food, parking, and housing departments. In recent years, the school has been shutting down at 12:30 on Fridays, which is usually a big errand-running day for the student. Everyone absolutely hates this, except the faculty.

The football players are pretty rowdy and undisciplined. Most of them are black racist, selfish individuals. There are lots of economic-backgrounded people. Multiple religions. Unfortunately, as a die-hard conservative, I often feel out of place here. People who have experienced the world would feel out of place among young students who really don't know anything about life. Most students bum it except for first semester freshmen when going to class. There are nerds in there, then there are all the black people making noise and tossing food everywhere. Then there are all of the normal-to-half normal just trying to find a place to sit and eat our nasty ill-nutritioned food in peace. Most UL students are from all of the surrounding areas going 30 miles in any direction from Lafayette. There are a few from north Louisiana as well as New Orleans. Most are middle-classed. Students are very politically active, but not very politically aware. It's really funny to watch them. More often than not, they fall left to center. Earn what?

That pretty much covers everything.

There are a good portion of students who have lower self-esteem, but not nearly all of them. Lafayette is the fastest growing town in the state. UL is good bang for your buck as far as cost and education is concerned.

Yes, I sit up front and make myself known there and sometimes in their office. This has developed from years of practice on effective study habits and student-teacher relationships, too. My favorite class is a criminal justice class I have right now. I had a pretty good psychology class a few years ago as well. My major is math, but most of the math teachers are very smart but cannot teach to save their life. A good deal of reform is needed in this area. Unless students are in a study-intensive major, most find hobbies on the side to occupy their time, be in partying, fraternities, judo & exercise (like me), or other things. Students aren't too competitive. We help each other out more than we compete. The most unique class is probably judo. I've written already about the poor quality of teachers in the math department, despite how smart they may be. Some can teach. Doctor or not, I think they should all be required to pursue education degrees if they are planning on teaching undergraduate-level classes. I sometimes spend time in their office, particularly if it is a difficult class. Some academic areas have solid curriculums. Some majors, like mine, are too randomly thrown together without any thought put into making the degree well-rounded nor planned toward any kind of real solid education at all. Engineering and nursing degrees and such are job specific. So are the business majors, sort of. My degree really doesn't help me get any kind of job in math. I can't really choose an area of focus, and the course options are very limited.

Fraternities/sororities. Chi Alpha, a born-again Christian cult just about. I am in UL Judo. We just like hanging out together and the conditioning, grappling, balancing, and competitiveness that judo has to offer. My closest friends were all in the same suite living together our first semester. That was it pretty much. The rest were pretty scattered about and random. Sometimes they leave their door open, sometimes not. It is foolish, I have always locked mine. I am in bed by midnight or 1 unless I have work and get back at 3. Up late I am messing around online or doing the homework I put off while exercising. Every spring there is lagniappe week (I hope I spelled that right). There are canoe races in the swamp and all kinds of bizarre stuff. They'll sometimes shut down this one one-way street on campus and have all kinds of booths and trucks and stuff set up. People go out a lot, almost every night of the week. Frats are there, but not overbearing. Last weekend I went home to see my fiance in New Orleans. Saturday night, I am usually working watching people there get drunk or I am at drill or in New Orleans. Something to avoid homework. Off campus I am working, visiting friends, or out to get a beer maybe once a week.

That we are LSU rejects. That we are lower class since it is inexpensive to go to school here.

Mallory

The BEST thing about UL is by far its history and culture. The second u step foot on our campus, you are welcomed with open arms. The southern hospitality is all over UL's campus. We are the only campus in the U.S. with a swamp in the center of our campus to let students relax. Louisiana's cajun culture is entwined in every aspect of our University. My favorite thing about UL above anything is the interaction that happens between students. I have visited many colleges where students go to class, work, then home every day. Here at UL we have over 150 organizations so most students on our campus are involved and very connected among each other. It is impossible to attend UL and not feel at home. One thing I would change about UL is our recognition. We live in a state where our competing college is ranked #1 in football so it becomes very hard to compete with enrollment. Now a day students would rather be recognized for sports rankings rather than a great education. UL is the perfect size. I have traveled all over the nation going to conferences for UL and I always recieve the same response. People are alwayse amazed at our name... The Ragin' Cajuns. People alwayse ask me what its like to live in Louisiana. When I tell People from Louisiana where I go, im always given a positive response. Louisiana natives know how amazing our education is. I spend most of my time on campus in the Libary. We have the largest library in the state. The Edith Garlend Dupre library is very student friendly; equiped with 2 seperate computer labs available to all students including 50 free pages of printing everyday. We also have soundproof study rooms for students to reserve. The 3 floor building is open 24 hours a day during finals week. Its ALWAYS packed so its easy to find a friend to hang with. Lafayette is a HUGE college town. Everywhere you turn is UL Ragin'Cajun attire. Homecoming week is insane! ALL in all I could never imagine going anywhere else. One big plus is our week vacation for Mardi Gras'

If you are looking for a diverse college, UL is your number one choice. We have an enormous international student body. we also have over 11 different religous organizations. Students wear whatever they want to class, I have gone to class in pajamas many many times.Most students are from Louisiana, generally from the New Orleans and Lafayette area.

If you go to college anywhere in the U.S. there will be partying; Its college! UL students are just more experienced. UL has some of the top colleges in the Nation. Our Nursing,Engineering,Education, and Art are among the top 10 in the nation. Our faculty and staff consists of some of the greatest professors available.

Our administration is uncomparibly among the best in the nation because i have found if you are struggling in some of your classes and need help they have an open door policy for students to go in and get side help. Our way of classes is a very relaxed process. Most students i have classes with are very interactive. our professors beleive the best way to learn is to interact and feed off of our peers views and ideas. Its also very common to see classes being held outside. One of my classes in my Junior year was held in differant parts of Lafayette because my professor believed the best way to witness psychology was to experience life out of the class.

Our Greek life on campus is very dominant. Being in a sorority was one of my better decisions. Greeks are very involved among the commmunity as well as our athletics. Greeks support UL more than any organizations on campus. UPC and SGA are also big supporters in making UL the best it can be.

Our Univserities biggest stereotype is that we are a party school. It is extremely hard to ignore this description being that we are in Louisiana. Because we live in Louisiana, it is also said that our education is less than acceptable, which is far from true.

University of Louisiana at Lafayette administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.