Lafayette, LA
University of Louisiana at Lafayette

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Louisiana at Lafayette

Rory

School size is just right, I spend most of my time in Wharton Hall (the nursing building)

Most students wear clothes that are comfortable, someone that dresses up for class and walks around in heels would not fit in (although there are some)

To some extent, a lot of us are from south Louisiana

Yes, the nursing professors are really good about getting to know you. My favorite class is the EKG nursing elective, After every semester our clinical groups go out to eat together so we spend time with our clinical instructors outside of nursing

SGA probably is the most popular organization, Im in a sorority and its great when you are just starting college but as you mature and head toward graduation it becomes more time consuming, Im never awake at 2 am on tuesday EVER, last weekend I studied and hung out with my family, on Saturday you can go bowling or hand out with friends at a coffee shop or go to the movies

Didn't know there were any, but I guess you can say country

Ryan

I think the size of ULL is just right. I would change the fact that the school is not supported fully by the community. Too much support goes to LSU. There is definitely a lack of school pride on campus and off campus.

I don't think ULL has many problems with "cliques" on campus. I've never noticed any groups that stand out. I've met most students that are really down to earth, from all financial backgrounds. I'd say the majority of students are from around this area.

I don't think any of those stereotypes are true at all. It's not all about partying, I study A LOT! And had absolutely NO interest in attending LSU.

I have some professors that know my name but not all, which is completely expected. My favorite class was Theatre 300, it wasn't just about lecture. We had lots of physical learning activities which I think is great! Least favorite classes are the big auditorium lecture classes. Too hard to stay focused in those classes. I think the College of Education is GREAT! The workers in the office are fantastic and always willing to help in any way. Education does a great job on focusing toward getting knowledge provided to students for future jobs.

I really wish the athletic teams would get more support from students and the community. I think they would really start playing better if they knew they had people supporting them.

Some stereotypes about ULL: Party school, Easy, For people who couldn't get into LSU

allie

we need better parking options.

we need better parking options.

too many questions to answer but some professors know my name. dr. brian campbell was by far my best teacher. my kinesiology classes are my favorites.

The best thing about UL is its sense of community. Where ever you walk/go, there is always a smiling face and someone willing to help. I think our school is the right size...not to large and not to small. When I tell people I go to UL, I get one of two reactions: 1)"Wow that sucks. Why didn't you go to LSu?" or 2)"That's cool. What are you studying?" I spend most of my time walking from class to class. I don't have very many breaks in between classes but when I do, I normally head to PJ's Coffee. I don't think we are a college town but we do have a GREAT night life. Besides New Orleans, I would say we had the best night life. I think UL's administration could be tweaked a bit in a sense of modernized. I think we need to get with the times in all the colleges not just the business college. I would say that there is a good amount of school pride. I think it is sometimes hard to be extremely school spirited when you have LSU as your neighbors.

Thses stereotypes are definitely incorrect. UL has one of the best Engineering and Nursing programs in the nation. It also has one of the best Business schools in the state. Lafayette is not a college town...it is a community. Many people were born in Lafayette and plan to stay here, but not everyone by far. We have a high percentage of foreigners who attend UL as well.

Most, if not all, of my professors know my name and have gotten to know me on a personal level. I have many favorite classes and teachers ranging from liberal arts to business. The studying habits of students are various. We are typical college students. I find UL students are highly intellectual but fun at the same time. Some students are competitive. I am taking the most unique class right now. It is my Advanced Composition class. I am a double major in Accounting and Spanish. I am very close to many of my professors. I think the academic requirements are fair and attainable.

I think the Greek system is very popular on campus, but I am biased because I am a Greek. Athletic events are somewhat popular. Personally, baseball is my favorite time of year. I met my closest friends through my sorority and my majores. If I am awake at 2am, I am studying and definitely not at a bar. Now if it was a Friday or Saturday, that would be a different story. Some people go out from Monday to Monday with no break in between but others just go out on the weekends. Last weekend, I stayed home on Friday to catch up on sleep and then I went out on Saturday. A Saturday night without alcohol could consist of going listen to a band play, movie, dinner, and maybe house parties with no alcohol. There really isn't much to do on campus so everything is pretty much done off campus.

I believe UL is stereotyped as being an easy school for people who couldn't get into LSU. Another stereotype is that we are all from the country and have no plans on moving away from Lafayette.

Bevan

The best thing about UL is the teachers. They are very helpful and they are always there for you. One thing I would change about UL would have to be the parking. Parking is CRAZY on campus. I think UL is just right, some classes could be smaller. When I tell people I go to UL they often make a comment about their sports. I spend most of my time in the library or in class. I think UL has a very good administration. I do not recall a big controversy on campus. I do not think UL has much pride. I wish more people would attend the football games, etc. I do not think there is anything unsual about UL. I'll always remember some of my classes I have taken. Most students complain about the parking or the courses.

I do not encounter any experience with racial or religous groups on campus. I do not think anyone in particular would feel out of place at UL. Most students wear jeans and t-shirts to class. Yes, all different types of students interact.

No, these stereotypes are definitely not accurate.

Yes, most professors do learn our names. My favorite class was Theatre. My least favorite class was all of my history classes. I think some students study pretty often. Yes, I believe that class participation is very common. Yes, we do have intellectual conversations outside of class. I think some students are competitive but in a good way. The most unique class I have taken is Theatre. I learned so many things in that class. No, I do not usually spend time with my professors outside of class unless I need help with something. I think the academic requirements are good. I think education at UL is geared toward getting a job and some can be for learning for its own sake. You take in what you learn and apply it.

UL students are scattered all over campus. There is not one particular spot. No, students in the dorms usually lock their doors. The athletic events are not that popular. I think that is something we need to work towards, be more supportive. I met my closest friends in my classes. We have the same major so we end up in classes together for quite a few semesters. If I am awake at 2am on Tuesday, I might be studying. We have Laniappe week that happens each year. I think people party pretty often. Sororities and Fraternities are very important to me because I am part of one. Last weekend I did some homework and hung out with friends. I can hang out with friends and watch movies. Off campus I usually do homework and study or hang out with friends.

People often think UL Lafayette is a bad school because of our football team.

Blanche

Overall, I love it here at UL. If I HAD to choose one thing to change about UL is some of the organizational skills that some teachers and advisors have. It's not bad, but it could be better. Lafayette is definitely a "college town". I would think the most unusual thing about UL is that our "lake" or "pond" on campus is actually a swamp! Ha. There is a good amount of school pride. Once again, there could be definitely be more, but it's not dull!

No! I know tons and tons of people who willingly choose to come to UL for many reasons, and I'm one of them. I also know many people who leave LSU to come to UL because they were not happy there.

Most stereotypes that I've heard about UL is that the majority of the students attending are the only the ones who who could not get into LSU.

Dustin

The best thing about UL is definitely the swamp. There were days whenever I was stressed or upset or possibly even bored that I just went outside to sit by the swamp. I think it was very cooling and something relaxing to watch. If there is one thing I could change, I would change the buildings. I think so many of them are horrible and gross. I think our campus is just the right size. People react when they find out I'm from UL Lafayette by being amused at our mascot! I spend most of my time on campus in class! I think the UL administration is growing out of touch with the student needs. I think that standards and expectations are being relaxed and do not have to be met. One example, the building shapes. The lack of cleaning, the lack of so many things that is pure oversight by administration. I think the biggest controversy on our campus is the recent shootings of UL students. I believe there is a lot of school pride. UL Lafayette is unusual for its mascot, the Cayenne (Ragin Cajuns!) and our swamp!!! I think the experiences I will always remember are the great times I had in the debate team and some comical moments in SGA! The most frequent student complaint is parking. However, most students do not realize there is nothing that can be done to fix the problem. All universities have that problem and we are a land locked school.

I don't think our university is very diverse at all. So many other schools are more diverse, including high schools only a portion of our size.

Yes, most professors know me by name. My favorite classes are always the Communication courses! My least favorite = foreign languages. I think students study all the time. Class participation is very common at UL Lafayette. You will always have someone volunteering to speak/respond to the teacher (even though it's uncalled for!) UL students definitely hold intellectual conversations outside of classes by debating material, studying the material, and joining extra curricular activities that provide for the intellectual opportunities. The students at UL, depending on the program, are very competitive.

I think the more popular organizations on Campus are SOS and UPC.

I think some stereotypes about UL students is that they don't care about the university. I think a lot of people assume just b/c there is a lack of sports attendance it automatically means lack of school pride. I think it's completely untrue, I think all students want the UL name to succeed so they're degree can mean something.

Steph

The best thing of UL has got to be that a good bit of the teachers are from down here and definatly have that home town feeling that i like. I would love to change the parking situation at UL. It is the worst idea ever. they make us park at cajun field, which is like a mile from campus, but provide a bus (which is old and smelly, with student drivers) to take us to campus. the bus has actually got to be the worst thing ever because they pile on as many people as humanly possible, stuffing the last people on the bus to stand in the aisles holding on to the bar on the roof. And that could be bad for everyone. UL definatly has some unusual things going on. First of all, the strip, cuts right through campus. So its not far for the students staying on campus to get a little drunk on a friday night. Also there is a big swamp located right behind the student union. and like most swamps, there are live alligators living in it. Then once a year, they have canoe races in the swamp. (strange huh?)

there are two types of people at UL. the ones who dress up and the ones who dont. the ones who dress up are the ones who get up every morning and wear nice clothes to school. Like dressier shirts, jeans, and heels, or slacks and jacket. Then they have the people who look like they woke up ten minutes ago and threw on a pair of jeans, a tee shirt, threw their hair in a ponytail and put a hat on. the latter one being me. Most of the UL students are from local towns, being Lafayette, New Iberia, Delcambre, Loraville, ect.

Well, im not saying that everyone there should be going to college, because there are some people i wonder how they did manage to make into college. As far as UL being dirty and old, it is. The buildings that have been there forever are old, and dirty. But the newer buildings are okay.

Most of the time the professors dont know your name. They dont really try to know your name. They pass around the roll sheet and go about there business. Every now and then the teachers have a small class and there is alot of interaction between the student and professor, in which case, they do learn who we are. My favorite class would have to be my sociology 101 class. My professor is the coolest person ever. i didnt have to buy a book, and she gets up there and actually keeps me interested in what is going on. Most of the time when a teacher gets up there and lectures, i loose focus, but not with her.

Some stereotypes are the students there are stupid, and poor. UL is thought to be dirty and old.

University of Louisiana at Lafayette administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.