University of Louisiana at Lafayette Top Questions

If I could go back to myself as a high school senior, I would honestly tell myself to work a little bit harder. I took a couple years off after high school, while it was good for me to do, I wish I could tell myself to go straight to college after graduating high school. Also most importantly, I would tell myself to continue with dancing, which I had done my entire life, up until one year after I graduated.

rebekah

Stay in school. Life does not get any better than now. Talk to a new person everyday. Get involved!

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell her that everything is going to work out. I would say that to always trust your instincts, because they are usually spot on. I would say that it's okay to not be perfect--not making an A on a test was not going to be the worst possible thing to happen. I would tell my younger self not to be so hard on yourself and that it's okay to make mistakes--as long as you learn something from the experience. I think the most important bit of knowledge I've learned through my college career is this: No matter what the end result is, if you put in your absolute best work or best efforts into something, you are successful. I would tell her that this is the most important thing to realize in both college and life.

Sirikhwan

PLEASE PRINT OUT YOUR SYLLABUSES BEFORE CLASS. PLEASE CHECK TO SEE IF PROFESSORS HAVE PUT THE LECTURE SLIDES ONLINE BEFORE CLASS. PLEASE DO HOMEWORK OR REVIEW NOTES RIGHT AFTER CLASS. Don't forget to eat and drink water throughout the day.

Don't assume that you can take everything on by yourself. It's alright to ask for help. You won't have extra time for everything you want to do. You won't have extra money for the things that you want all the time. You're going to cry and call your mother, and that's okay. The important thing is that you can pull yourself together and make the grades you need. Always aim high and shoot higher. When people tell you that you can't do something, do it better than you planned to. Prove them wrong. Prove everyone wrong.

Larissa

Dear Larissa, You have no idea what you are about to get yourself into! College life is nothing like anything you have experienced. You are about to gain a whole new perspective to life and discover a you, you never knew you were capable of being. The transition into college is frightening and exciting at the same time. With new found freedom, you will make mistakes, which in time will become lessons learned. This freedom comes with responsibilities and intelligence that you must learn to accept and use resourcefully. Do not hesitate participating in things that challenge you and make you uncomfortable. It is through these activities that you will grow as an individual and reach your full potential. College is a whole different ball game in comparison to high school. In high school, good grades came with little to no effort at all. Unfortunately, that is not the case in college. You must work for your grades. I can promise it will get difficult and you will want to give up. Stand tall, keep pushing forward. Trust in God, he knows exactly what he is doing. Enjoy college but don’t lose sight of the reason you are there.

Fabian

I would tell my high school self to major in athletic training from the start and hurry up and finish as soon as possible and not wait around. I would also tell him to save as much money as possible so the financial burden of a university wouldn't be so big.

If I could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would definately tell myself to stay on top of deadlines. I would also tell myself to do things ahead of time, and take every assignment seriously. The most important thing I would tell myself as a high school senior is that tgeh decisions I make now will determine the outcome of my future. Make decisions that will secure you a better future, and take all possible consequences into consideration.

Brennan

I would say that it is perfectly fine to not be completely confident with what career path you plan on graduating in. It does help to figure it out as soon as possible so that you are not wasting your or anyone else's time and money blindly pursuing a career. I would also encourage networking with upperclassmen. If you can show that you are serious about your pursuit in whatever field you are focused on, they will normally provide you with old notes and textbooks from courses that they have previously taken which will give you a great headstart and advantage over your other classmates.

DeSean

Apply for scholarships at the very beginning of school. Mostly, keep your values number one at all times because everyone is not out to help you. You can do anything you set your mind to and get ready for the best experience of your life.

If I can just go back in time and think about the most important things that I want to do and learn about college life. As a high school senior, I was almost aware of what my future would be and what major I'm going to study once I start entering to college as a freshman. Going to college is like experiencing your own personality such as meeting new people, knowing some extracurricular activities, information about college courses, meetings, conferences, rooms in which students need to take their classes at, and most important of all understanding who you are. Attending college is not about going to their classes to further their education, it's about expanding your knowledge and know exactly what is going on in the college environment. As I come to my conclusion, being in the college life can help students like me to achieve our goals in order to do our best and become good educators while studying inside and outside the college environment. I can simply see myself going one step ahead into earning a degree and can finally be able to find a career that I've always dreamed of.

When I began my college career I had no clue who or what I wanted to make of my future. I worked too many hours at my part-time job and worried more about making money than making grades. I finally found my passion, to become a pharmacist and I've really had to work hard to get my GPA where it needs to be in order to obtain a sit in pharmacy school. So I would suggest every college freshman to take advantage and get their money's worth out of every single class; whether it is pertaining to their major or not. Give every class a chance. Some of my most enjoyable classes are the classes that I assumed I would dread, so be sure to go in with an open mind. If you struggle with a subject do not hesistate to get help. Go to tutoring on campus, visit your professor for help, and network with class-mates. Go to your professors office hours whether you are struggling or not. Many professors enjoy visiting with their students and seeing that they take an interest in the lecture that they have worked hard to prepare.

sarah

Today as I look back at myself a year ago. I smile proudly. Not because I was the most successful student in my high school, or I had a 4.5 GPA. No, I was actually one of the average students, who had a 2.7 GPA. But I was a hard worker, a determined student, and an achiever. I smile proudly, because I never missed any homework, and never turned an assignment not on time. However, the only thing that bothers me, when I remember myself in high school is that how I never took time as serious as I do now. If I had the chance to talk to myself when I was a high school senior, I would advise myself to respect time as much as possible. Arrive to class on time, not 5 minutes later, and attend every school day I am able to attend.

Stefanie

Dear Past Me, Some advice from me to you on handling college and college life would be to calm down, and don't stress out. Enjoy life in high school and try to get more involved. Visit the College Guidence Counselor as often as you can, he really knows what he is doing and wants to help. Apply for as many scholarships as you can! One book costs $130! Try and get grants too, anything will help you when it comes to paying for school. Most importantly, take classes that you are interested in; yes you'll have to take math and biology your first year, everyone does, but be sure that your other classes are interesting. Why pay to be bored? Try to enjoy college, it's the last step before becoming a "real" adult.

Nohea

Stay focused in every class. Take in what the teachers tell you. start applying for grants ealrier than later. have a set mind on the trade you want to do.

I would tell myself a few things. I now know things that I wish I knew back then. Had I known it sooner I may have been better off. First thing I would tell myself is to be careful who I become friends with. I made friends with some really immature and few emotionally and mentally unstable people at one school I went to. It is fun to joke around with people but there is a time and place. It was a lot of drama I got into with people. You need to find friends who are good for you not ones who cause you trouble. Another thing I would tell myself is to stay focused. School is hard work. Like anything of value you need to work hard to get. A semester can go by fast. It is ok to have fun now and then but school comes first. I wish I went back in time and told myself that. As they say "hindsite is 20/20". As I continue my education I will keep those two things in mind.

Hey Rachel, I see you sitting on Instagram in Global Studies. Pay attention and take notes! Oh yeah and that A.P. test you have in two weeks, start studying, those credits will save you a bunch of money. Twitter is not as important as everyone makes it seem. Studying will help you more than you think. Planners will help you adjust to the crazy college schedule you will get. Between a job, a sport, and school, a planner will then become your new best friend. Community college is not as shitty as you think. The professors at community college are the same professors that teach at four year universities. Oh and for your birthday do not expect anything fancy. Good luck little one, and good call not wearing those wedges to graduation, the stage was bumpy.

Donovan

I would tell myself that college is nothing like highschool and it wont be as easy as I expected it to be. Classes are different teachers are different and even the students are different.

I would tell myself to relax and enjoy myself, but to still work hard. High school is a great time to build and strengthen relationships to try your best to show your friends how much you care about them and make an effort to stay in touch. College can be hard if you go in with very few friends and this could make the transition much easier for you. Continue to give back to your community, be kind, and outgoing. Many times you have to make the first move to get to know someone so put yourself out there! It may seem easier to sit back and wait for people to come to you, but life is short and you shouldn't waste some of the best years of your life being lonely waiting for people to walk up to you and initiate a friendship or relationship. Be good to your family and always be loyal and be yourself. You can try to fake it 'till you make it , but you will not be happy; although you may be able to fake appearing happy, happiness comes from within. Love yourself and appreciate what you offer the world. You are beautiful.

Charity

Oh my goodness! I would tell the "high school" me a LOT of things. I would first tell myself to NEVER EVER procrastinate at all, no matter what! I would also tell myself to study up ahead of time, and try to do my best, not just expecting A's to fall out of the sky and onto my paper. Another thing that I would tell myself, is that life happens. There is no need trying to control things that I cannot, I need to cope and move on. Also, eat a hearty breakfast. People are people, some will like you, and some will not, do not worry about the ones that don't. You real friends will come along when they are supposed to.

Dear Past Nick: Please understand that just because you live in the same town as ULL, that doesn't mean that it's your only option! You're a very dedicated student, who has stuck with his major ever since he chose it, and a lot of schools in the area have great programs. ULL is a "cheap school," but you'll be working your butt off just to survive, and that will hinder your grades. Please apply yourself in applying for scholorships, since you have the grades to back it up. You don't have many extra-ciriculars, but that's because you're constantly studying and workign just to get by. I wish you luck once you get to college, but honestly, you'll do fine. Future NIck

Callie

Knowing what I know now, I would advise myself to not put assignments off to prevent me from feeling overwhelmed. I would also suggest that I go to as many free events and make as many friends as I could but avoid dating for a while. I would suggest this because going to college events and making new friends is a wonderful part of the whole college experience but dating tends to create additional stress and can lead to unnecessary drama in a person's life.

Clarissa

Becoming a senior in high school can be very fun and exciting, but it can also be very stressful. Students looks forward to being the students that run the school. Many students stress because they need to assure they pass all their classes to graduate, prepare for all their last school activities and last but not least prepare for graduation. If I can talk to myself as a high school senior I would recommend to enjoy myself and take school seriously. Being independent and not relying on others is very important because in college teachers just asign the work and it is the students responsibilty to complete the work on time. I would also recommend to high school seniors is that don't make friends your main priority, although friends are always great to have, most friends you have in high school will not become long term friends. Just focus on yourself and studies and do whatever it takes so you can have a bright future and succeed in life.

lisa

The advice that I would give myself is to accept that college life is a different world from the high school setting. It offers the student independence from parents rules and family obligations such as chores. The college life allows the student to grow and mature into that young adult because the student has so many decisions to make. The college life can be a good or bad experience based on the choices that the student makes such as whether to stay in the dorm and study or go out and party with friends. The college student needs to be well-balanced and a quick decision maker. The student has to know where to go and how to talk to people about the different majors, community involvement, and other available events such as greek life. Overall, the student has to know how to plan ahead and keep organizers such as calendars so that deadlines for test, work, job requirements, and other events are not missed. The college student needs to find time to do volunteer work, which is something that I missed out on during my undergrad years. College life is a different world that goes beyond 8 hours .

Khanthong

If I could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior with the present knowledge that I have about college life, I would advise myself to escape from adherence to the constraint of responsibility. I’m glad to currently be in the process of getting a Degree; however, I am regretful of my decision to attend the University nearly 20 miles away from home. I felt obliged to not worry my parents and the anxiety that I wouldn’t be able to support myself, had I gone elsewhere. Consequently, I feel confined from life-learning exposures and opportunities because nothing happens in Lafayette and no one amazingly famous comes by for a brief visitation. Community activity in the city and even on campus is minimal and people, though friendly and kind, live day to day with firm beliefs and traditions that bore me to the bone. I was terribly unaware of how the matters surrounding my source of education could somehow depress me but now, I recognize that the most practical decisions does not always result in the best outcome. If I could go back, I’d tell myself to just let go and live.

Fartina

I would say Tina, think about your future. Consider what you really want out of life and measure your actions and behavior against your goals. There will be many distractions and it will be up to you to silence them or allow them to gain large amounts of your attention to set you off track. You'll have fun developing friends and relationships that may last a lifetime but remember to keep your education above everything else. Friends are special but a quality education is priceless. The one thing that can't be devalued by an employer, is the discipline and dedication it takes to be committed to a goal long enough to finish it. So be careful with the decisions you make and never be afraid to talk to an expert or an academic professional about an issue. Many are willing to help if you let them. If you continue trying to succeed and become determined not to give up, you get to your destination no matter how many cracks, detours, wrong way signs, and closed roads cross your path.

Ruth

Please! You’ve got to listen . I know things seem impossible right now. I know you're homeless because of your Mothers alcoholism, but leaving school is just going to make things worse for you. It is going to send you into a life you never wanted for yourself. Trust me please, I have been there. I know how incredibly difficult your life will be if you don’t finish high school and go on to college. You will marry way too young; and have four beautiful daughters, but your marriage will be very abusive. You will have low paying jobs, and your beautiful little girls will suffer from it. By the time you get the chance to go to college you will be forty years old. Being legally blind and taking care of your girls while trying to earn your degree will be completely exhausting. You are going to look back and wish with all your heart you had stayed in school, and earned your degree. Leaving school now may seem like your only option, but I don’t think you realize that your only option is to stay in school. Do it for yourself and for your girls.

I would tell myself to become even more involved with campus activities and also to become involved early. This would be a great way to meet even more people and to explore and learn different interest. I would also tell myself to not be afraid to try something different and to also stay involve in sports. Staying involved in sports will help you to continue to be healthy and fit. Additionally, I would let myself know that I am smart and I have so much potential to make a change in the campus-community and the community surronding the campus.

Abdou

I wish I could go back in time and talk to the 18 year old, peer pressured, high school version of myself who cared more about upcoming video games then he did about his own future. In truth, all the advice I would give myself is a recycled version of things my mother tried to tell me. But, like requests to clean my room, it was ignored. I came out of high school with a mediocre GPA and mediocre goals for college. I simply wanted to take the easy route and get a degree to appease my mother. But, as I started to manage my finances, I learned very quickly how much living expenses cost. Aside from living expenses, I began to see how much of a financial drain my social life became. It wasn't until I met a friend of mine in my sophomore year that I learned a valuable lesson. This friend of mine, an honors student, had scholarships aiding him to pay for his tuition. Although short, I would tell my former self about what the future will hold for him, and I would tell him to do everything possible to bring up that GPA.

Tremaine

I have gained more knowledge and it was able to prepare me for the new world post college.

My college experience is far from over but I can see what I'm gaining already. I've found confidence and a self awareness. I have a who new outlook on who I am as a person, and I'm constantly making new discoveries. College is can end up being a spiritual experience even if you aren't looking for one. It's full of self discovery , and it's beautiful if you let it be.

Jenea

For the past five months I have been in college , I learned that when you want something you really have to work for it. I am trying to finish college in three years so that mean that I have to take the maximum amount of courses for every semester and pass every class , but its not easy. I have learned to time management and work around different rules. In every class , my teachers expected something different from everyone they had different rules and assignments. The way I had my classed on Tuesday's I had one class and the rest of the day was for me . Instead of taking a break I would take that time to caught up with assignments and research. This experience is valuable to me because I want my children to look up to me as a good role model . Someone that worked for what they wanted even when what she wanted seem so far . I am a poor freshman student all I can pay for are my books and apartment . I do not even have enough money to pay for the partial payment of my son's daycare ,butI will finish college .

Tashona

I am happy that I chose to attend a two - year college versus a four year college because I am not ashamed to ask questions. The class size is a lot smaller and it's easier to connect to classmates and my instructors. I love participating in activities going on on campus. My instructors have been extremely helpful in my learning process and a lot of them are easy to talk to about personal problems. It's hard to believe that I am almost done and I won't see my instructors anymore, but I am confident I will return to visit and thank them for preparing me for preparing me for a career in the medical field. It has been valuable for me to attend college because I will graduate with an Associates Degree in Medical Assisting. From there, I can further my education by going for nursing, and then possibly a doctor or surgeon.

In college I have learned what it means to be living in the real world. It has taught me the value of many things and I am better prepared to go through school to get a job to support myself and my family.

Cara

I have become more responsible, studious and goal oriented. I now know the true value of an education and I am determined to go as far as I can educationally. I take my college career very seriously and plan to remain at the top of my class. I am excited and more than ready to be the best that I can be in my future nursing career.

Trellis

So far, I have receive an immense amount of knowledge since I started college. Since I started attending I have become more diverse in subjects that I had little information about. I also know that if I was unable to continue college or if my career plan did not work as plan, I would be able to easily find another career in something that I might enjoy.

My college experience has truly helped shape my future. Even though I'm only in my first quarter of college, I have confidence to continue following my dreams. It is so valuable in helping me achieve the future that I know I can have as a dental hygienist. I've been exposed to so much diversity during my short time. I've gained much more confidence in myself as a student and a young lady. I feel as though the people I've met so far in college have helped me become more socially rounded. They've also helped by exposing me to so many new cultures and backgrounds. Attending college has definitely helped me form into a well rounded individual. College has opened up so many possible doorways for my future and guided me down the path to my dreams coming true.

Brandi

In my college experience, I have gotten a valuable education around friendly, helpful people for a price that I can afford with the financial aid available at my school and in my state. I have been guided along by professors and advisors and have found the right major and career path along the way with their help. I have learned much at my university, and there is always a place for me to study in order to excell. My university is close to home, which makes it more convenient, familiar, and nice. For the most part, the best thing I have gotten from my college experience is knowledge and understanding, especially of other cultures. It has been very helpful in outlining my future goals.

Patrice

So far in my college career, I've gotten the opportunity to learn about my strengths and weaknesses as well as my interests. As far as I can see college has been a place where I can express myself while searching to find who I really am. For example, I have found that I really enjoy volunteering and making a difference in the community through an organization at my university called AmeriCorps. I got the opportunity to tutor at risk youths, build ramps and railings for the handicapped and elderly, and complete more than 450 hours of community service on various volunteer efforts. I would have never thought that I would achieve so much through this organization while balancing a full time course load of school work. Attending college has be a valuable opportunity for me because I'm getting to see what's out there. That is to say that I'm being exposed to valuable resources and people that can lead me to success in life. My aspiration is to become a physician and college is helping me build the foundation that I'll need to progress in my academic and career journey.

I have learned a lot in my college life. I have learned how to manages not only my time, but my money. I have learned the value of a dollar and how to get all of my school work done while balancing a part time job. It has been valuable to attend because many people who don't attend college live with their parents a long time and don't learn much about being on their own. I am really grateful that I am in college and I am learning more and more every day about life and I know when I graduate that I will be ready for a job in the real world because I have already had some experiance in college.

Kina

I have gotten a great education out of this experience. The ability to feed my family and a proud feeling.

Shana

I have been able to meet new people and have a new life.

College has been a rollercoaster for me of great discovery and intense learning experiences. I learned working hard is not enough to make it in college, but to stay determined and being enthusiastic of your career choice. Without college, I would not know what I know now and met people that have become my great mentors and friends. When I first entered college, I took it for granted. I pretended it was just an extension of high school, but in time I came to realize it was not. Unlike high school, college projects onto you the responsibilities of being an individual and helps you to self realize where you want to go in life and how you can impact the world.

Sally

My college experience has been the best experience of my life. I am only a freshmen, and I have learned so much. From life lessons, to the books. I have ultimately learned how to grow up and be an independent person. I've learned that everything you get in life has to be earned and worked for. It wasn't easy getting everything I wanted, but I worked hard for what I wanted. College teaches you how to be a more well-rounded and open-minded person. It exposes you to all different types of people, and I have learned to accept people for who they are. It is very valuable to attend college because this is the time where you learn life-long lessons. It molds you into the person you will be in the future.

Claudio

So far I have only had two weeks of school since I graduated in 2008. I took a year and a half off so i could buy a car since my family is not the wealthiest. As of right now Im really glad I returned to school, it makes me proud of myself and makes my parents happy since Im a first generation college student. Ive have lerned that nothing can stand on your way if you really want to continue your education, not even me working two jobs and my dad being laid off leaving us living paycheck to paycheck. Returning to school gave me something to look forward to in life, I want to complete my two years at this community college, move on to a four year school and get my nursing degree that i have always wanted and will work hard for.

The most valuable asset I have gotten from college is the ability to interact well with others, as I was a very shy individual in high school. I have always wanted to attend University of Louisiana at Lafayette and when I graduated from high school I had some issues holding me back but five years later I decided to take the leap into college and it has payed off one hunderd percent.

II would not say much to myself as a high school senior. I think it would be a very freaky experience for the both of us. I am just now starting my new path as a nurse from a chemical engineer, and I am not totally sure if this is my best course of action for me. I was actually more focused back then and had a good judgment. All I had to worry about was my major, ROTC, and my athletics. I went to a great small college and was able to compete in NCAA cross country. I have no major regrets. My adulthood has been way more traumatic with job losses, mortgages, and children. I would not want to shock my simple fun college self with such future experiences, I have survived them.

If I could go back in time and advise my Senior self, I would, without a doubt, push myself to do more, to participate more, to apply for every scholarship possible and to apply to other schools than just ULL. I would tell me work less and make more time for extracurricular activities like going to my senior prom or attending more than just my club meetings. Finally, I would tell me to stop stressing over my future so much. Then maybe I would not forget to enjoy my senior year.

JASMINE

STAY IN SCHOOL!! FOCUS, AND STUDY HARD

Ashlyn

If I could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior I would tell my self to put all my doubts behind me and rush for a sorority. I have a lot of friends that did and I realize now that I should have listened to myself and not others that convinced me not to. I also would dual enroll to get a head start in my classes and stayed in honors classes to get college credit that I was not aware of.